Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins Of Washington Redskins Says He'd 'Welcome' Gay Teammate: 'Nobody's Perfect - Huffpo

Mad Mike

I think that gays being involuntarily gay has been proven, the same goes for straight folks. What clouds the situation is that there are more adventurous people out there and they are willing to cross barriers. They make a choice. Their existence does not prove that everyone makes a choice or that all gays simply choose to be gay.

Something that's come up in family discussions lately is homosexuality and identical twins. Started because of Jason Collins (who has an identical brother who also played in the NBA). Especially hit home because my stepfather's sister-in-law (brother's wife) has an identical twin who is a lesbian and a pretty loud and proud butch one at that. Mom works in the medical field so discussing it with her. Her theory is that something happens in the womb that triggers it. I don't know, I think it's something interesting to ponder.

And ftr, I think I've posted here long enough for it to be well known where I stand on the issue of gay marriage and gay rights in general. Honestly not sure if there's a topic/issue out there that I feel more strongly about. My Brazilian ex is pretty religious and I swear our biggest fights were over gay marriage. It could get ugly.

edit: and while I'm here, yesterday I watched "Before Night Falls", biographical movie about gay Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas, who lived and was persecuted in revolutionary Cuba before escaping to the US on the boat lift in '80 and then eventually dying from AIDS. Javier Bardem got an Oscar nomination for playing Arenas. Can't recommend it enough. Just an outstanding movie. Absolutely outstanding.

now what fun would that be?

I bet he plans on exercising the gay out of him  :P

I don't think doing a bunch of push-ups and running a few miles together will do it. In fact, they'd probably end up in the shower together afterwards and we all know what that will lead to.

Now, if he tried to exorcise the gay out of him he would need a 2 priests, some tie downs, and a roman ritual. Then again we all know what that might lead to as well.....

It's not the worst thing to be said on this topic, but the "leading him to Jesus" or "helping him follow Jesus" part is what I find abrasive. If he makes this offer to all his teammates then fine, but I'm 99% certain he's never stepped up to a drinking/carousing/womanizing/abusive teammate to "lead him to Jesus". 

It's not the worst thing to be said on this topic, but the "leading him to Jesus" or "helping him follow Jesus" part is what I find abrasive. If he makes this offer to all his teammates then fine, but I'm 99% certain he's never stepped up to a drinking/carousing/womanizing/abusive teammate to "lead him to Jesus". 

He probably has at least extended the invitation to most, of course some of them are as touchy as gays

I don't think doing a bunch of push-ups and running a few miles together will do it. In fact, they'd probably end up in the shower together afterwards and we all know what that will lead to.

Now, if he tried to exorcise the gay out of him he would need a 2 priests, some tie downs, and a roman ritual. Then again we all know what that might lead to as well.....

I just wanted to point out how much I liked this post since I can't actually like it twice. hahahahahaha

At least he is trying non- judgement, which is better than I can say for many self-professing Christians.

True enough. Though my only issue with it is that it seemed to almost be a "backhanded" non-judgement. Almost passive-aggressive. "I'd welcome him here even though he is gay and therefore a sinner living the wrong "lifestyle" and needs someone to show him how to be a good Jesus follower. I'll totally do it."

Jeez... the guy said he would welcome a gay team-mate.  That is more than 98% (at least) of teh league, yet people are jumping on his wording of his acceptance?

its just a christian variation of teh standard straight guy ".....not that there is anyhting wrong with that..." preface to discussion of the ghey...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j7OWfSeiik

Some of you need to take a step back.

Johnathan Vilma says he doesn't want to have to share a locker room or a shower room with a gay man, and nobody notices outside of a few funny comments by Jon Stewart. Kirk Cousins said he would welcome a gay teammate, that it's not for him to judge despite his personal religious beliefs, and this turns into another "christians are unjustifiably homophobic" threads.

Did any of you bother to ask why a 2nd string QB of all people is being asked this question? Maybe it's because he's openly devout...uh duh. Reporter hoping for a gotcha moment, but Cousins actually remembers the bit about not judging others.

Sure his answer is awkward and you can parse over his words and peel out a phrase or two you may interpret as grating/upsetting/offensive, but the guy is a football player from Michigan responding off the cuff to a hot button social issue surprise question for hell's sake. Do you really expect him to be able to respond as flawlessly as Hitchens or some other determined learned atheist?

This isn't anything more than speculation.  We have no idea what he has or hasn't said to other teammates.

No just a simple man who understands that Jesus didn't say anything about homosexuality and who believes that if you are going to call yourself a christian, you should follow the words of Jesus Christ and put what he said ahead of everything else in the bible.

As for Cousins, I find his comments to be judgmental and condescending. If someone said something like that to me about *my* lifestyle, I would tell them to go **** themselves.

(edited because I agree, choice does not apply here)

I find your comments judgemental and condescending as well.

PS. Orthodox Christianity believes all the bible is inspired equally.

Edited to remove my grumpiness in the reply. :)

Some of you need to take a step back.

Johnathan Vilma says he doesn't want to have to share a locker room or a shower room with a gay man, and nobody notices outside of a few funny comments by Jon Stewart. Kirk Cousins said he would welcome a gay teammate, that it's not for him to judge despite his personal religious beliefs, and this turns into another "christians are unjustifiably homophobic" threads.

Did any of you bother to ask why a 2nd string QB of all people is being asked this question? Maybe it's because he's openly devout...uh duh. Reporter hoping for a gotcha moment, but Cousins actually remembers the bit about not judging others.

Sure his answer is awkward and you can parse over his words and peel out a phrase or two you may interpret as grating/upsetting/offensive, but the guy is a football player from Michigan responding off the cuff to a hot button social issue surprise question for hell's sake. Do you really expect him to be able to respond as flawlessly as Hitchens or some other determined learned atheist?

Most people agree that Vilma is wrong so there isn't much to discuss about his un-nuanced position.

Cousins on the other hand represents himself as accepting on one hand, yet he considers being gay a sin and suggests he would try to  preach the gay out of him and lead him to Jesus. Worse... He is a Redskin so what he says reflects on the team and has more relevance to this forum.

And I seriously doubt he was surprised by the big question that EVERYONE is talking about. It is far more likely that he has given it some thought before the microphone finally came around to him. 

And what the hell is that bit about "some other determined learned atheist"? I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

I find your comments judgemental and condescending as well.

PS. Orthodox Christianity believes all the bible is inspired equally. Who are you to tell us we're wrong?

I have as much right to my opinion as you do yours.

But if you believe that the entire bible is inspired equally, you must be a creationist who does not eat shell fish and believes its gods will that you kill your son for being disobedient. 

Tell me, which of these biblical commandments would you consider equally important to the words and commandments of Jesus?

Leviticus 11:10 “And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you.”

Leviticus 11:7-8:7 And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

"A ****ed shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord." (Deuteronomy 23:2)

"Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery." (Luke 16:18)

1 Timothy 2:11-12 11 A womanshould learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

"He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."(Deuteronomy 23:1)

"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)

"For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9)

"But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you." (Deuteronomy 22: 20-21)

"Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother." (Mark 12:19)

"For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken. No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God." (Leviticus 21:18-21) 

Leviticus 10:6 “Uncover not your heads, neither rend your clothes; lest ye die, and lest wrath come upon all the people.”

Leviticus 19:19 “Neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.”

One of the scribes approached. When he heard them debating and saw that Jesus answered them well, he asked Him, "Which command is the most important of all?"

"This is the most important," Jesus answered: Listen, Israel! The Lord our God, the Lord is One.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.

"The second is: Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other command greater than these."

Then the scribe said to Him, "You are right, Teacher! You have correctly said that He is One, and there is no one else except Him.

And to love Him with all your heart, with all your understanding, and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself, is far more important than all the burnt offerings and sacrifices."

When Jesus saw that he answered intelligently, He said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And no one dared to question Him any longer.

1 Timothy 2:11-12 11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

Clearly this is, if not divinely inspired, truly inspirational. :)

Clearly delusional if He thinks that a woman will ever do that!  Besides I submit to no one, and as a proposal manager, I assume authority over men all the time.  :D

(I wish we had the devil smiley back!)

I have as much right to my opinion as you do yours.

But if you believe that the entire bible is inspired equally, you must be a creationist who does not eat shell fish and believes its gods will that you kill your son for being disobedient. 

Tell me, which of these biblical commandments would you consider equally important to the words and commandments of Jesus?

It is all inspired equally. Perhaps you are ignorant of what biblical inspiration actually means?

Not everything is applicable though. That's why we have two testaments, which explains how Jesus fulfilled the Old Covenant of Israel. Or at least it explains it to those careful enough to read it for what it is rather than to win arguments by taking bits and pieces out of context. Certain things were binding under the old covenant and certain things are binding under the new.

Clearly delusional if He thinks that a woman will ever do that!  Besides I submit to no one, and as a proposal manager, I assume authority over men all the time.  :D

(I wish we had the devil smiley back!)

Lots of women do it, but not under compulsion. Jesus himself described the principle of submission to authority in John 4 where he described that the very food of life for him was to submit to God's will.

31 Meanwhile the disciples were urging him, saying, “Rabbi, eat.” 32 But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you do not know about.” 33 So the disciples said to one another, “Has anyone brought him something to eat?” 34 Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.

EDIT: and Paul was speaking in the context of the church body, not the world.

Lots of women do it, but not under compulsion. Jesus himself described the principle of submission to authority in John 4 where he described that the very food of life for him was to submit to God's will.

Keeping things in context certainly helps,as does proper application.

I admit my wife is better at it than I am

can you not understand the difference between Jesus saying he himself gains sustanance from doing the will of God, versus stating to half of the population that they should submit to the will of the other half of the population, because they don't have penises.?

can you not understand the difference between Jesus saying he himself gains sustanance from doing the will of God, versus stating to half of the population that they should submit to the will of the other half of the population, because they don't have penises.?

context.....you seem to find it then lose it there.

Archived