Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins Of Washington Redskins Says He'd 'Welcome' Gay Teammate: 'Nobody's Perfect - Huffpo

Mad Mike

Kirk Cousins Of Washington Redskins Says He'd 'Welcome' Gay Teammate: 'Nobody's Perfect'

"From a football standpoint, if the guy can help us win, come help us win," Cousins, who is a devout Christian, is quoted by MLive as saying during an appearance at Michigan's NorthPointe High School. "Now, there are a lot of teammates in my locker room right now who may not have a homosexual lifestyle, but they have sins, too. They’re not perfect. So I don’t say they can’t help us win. Nobody’s perfect.“

He then added: "To that degree, we'd welcome him into our locker room and say come help us win, and hopefully I can love him like Jesus and hopefully show him what it means to follow Jesus."

I need a face palm smiley.

Tell you what Kirk... Why don't you start by showing me the words Jesus used to condemn homosexuality as a sin.

I honestly thought what he said in full context to be quite tolerant and admirable. Certainly he has a better outlook on this than many non-believing NFL players.

Maybe his phrasing of his position leaves a good bit to be desired, but I would think his attitude is several levels above the average pro athlete. Not everybody can be Chris Kluwe.

I honestly thought what he said in full context to be quite tolerant and admirable. Certainly he has a better outlook on this than many non-believing NFL players.

Maybe his phrasing of his position leaves a good bit to be desired, but I would think his attitude is several levels above the average pro athlete. Not everybody can be Chris Kluwe.

Agreed.

Thirded. 

Guy deserves props for what he said, not attacks because he didn't say it better. 

Theologian now are you?

No just a simple man who understands that Jesus didn't say anything about homosexuality and who believes that if you are going to call yourself a christian, you should follow the words of Jesus Christ and put what he said ahead of everything else in the bible.

As for Cousins, I find his comments to be judgmental and condescending. If someone said something like that to me about *my* lifestyle, I would tell them to go **** themselves.

(edited because I agree, choice does not apply here)

As for Cousins, I find his comments to be judgmental and condescending. If someone said something like that to me about *my* lifestyle choices, I would tell them to go **** themselves.

1- Being gay isn't a lifestyle choice.

2- I'm sure Christians all over the planet are speaking negatively towards some of your choices unless you're the one guy on the planet that has lived free of sin.

After immediately reading the comments, I'm reminded of the employee I once had to fire for telling his black coworker that she was "one of the good ones" and that she wasn't one of the "thug" black people, but instead one of the "normal human being" type of black people.

But after thinking it through better, I believe Kirk meant we all have sins in a way that didn't mean homosexuality was a sin. I believe he meant that, as Christian, he does not judge sinners. He leaves that for God. And in the same manner, he doesn't care who does what at home, as long as they're helping him in the locker room. I just think he maybe missed a sentence or two between the two ideas to connect them a bit better.

Eh I'm not going to freak out about it, but I think he could have left the religious stuff out of it. If asked, why not just say "If he can help us win I'd welcome him" and leave it at that instead of apparently bringing up homosexuality as a sin and a "lifestyle"?

1- Being gay isn't a lifestyle choice.

2- I'm sure Christians all over the planet are speaking negatively towards some of your choices unless you're the one guy on the planet that has lived free of sin.

But it often is thought of that way in the minds of the most outspoken against homosexuality.

It certainly isn't proven to be "not" a lifestyle choice either.  :D

Yeah kinda wondering if the "show him what it means to follow Jesus" line means he would try to preach the gay out of him. 

That seemed pretty obvious to me. And TWA... There are all kinds of assumptions in Kirks comments, assuming that he that being gay means you haven't "found jesus" is one of many offensive ideas within his comments.

It certainly isn't proven to be "not" a lifestyle choice either. :D

I think that gays being involuntarily gay has been proven, the same goes for straight folks. What clouds the situation is that there are more adventurous people out there and they are willing to cross barriers. They make a choice. Their existence does not prove that everyone makes a choice or that all gays simply choose to be gay.

Or maybe it means he would show him that a true follower of Jesus accepts him and sees him as a person and not as a judgmental label?

now what fun would that be?

I bet he plans on exercising the gay out of him  :P

Archived