Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins Of Washington Redskins Says He'd 'Welcome' Gay Teammate: 'Nobody's Perfect - Huffpo

Mad Mike

Kirk does not get much of a break in the media!!!  He says OUTRAGEOUS comments like "I would like the opportunity to compete for a starting job"  and that somehow translates to he is a bitter, disgruntled employee of the Redskins. What should he say - I prefer NOT to have a shot at competing for a starting job - when asked the question if he would like to or can start in the NFL? 

Now he as an outspoken Christian states that "we'd welcome him into our locker room and say come help us win" is turned into a negative - how is this news???  

This breaking news just in - there are plenty of Christians (and most religions) that frown on homosexuality as they do many other things that he and his teammates and ALL of us do and are considered sins.  

Well...considering that in the Old Testament Sodom and Gomorrah got destroyed for their wicked acts of homosexuality to the nineteenth degree,..it kind of rings a bell when it does say homosexuality is an abomination to The Lord. And murderers, idolaters, an fornicators, and homosexuals etc will not enter the kingdom of God. Be that as it may...Kirk said the appropriate response...and showing Christ is not "preach scripture or condemn" but showing love..,if you are a TRUE follower of Christ, you will not condemn anybody but show them love and it's that relationship and intimacy with Christ that you will be able to love a homosexual unconditionally. That doesn't mean you agree with that lifestyle. We as brothers keepers are meant to be a brothers keeper.,so as a fellow brother I am suppose to call out the sin, not you. I can say homosexuality is wrong to The Lord but I cannot judge THEM. I'm judging the act, not the person and just because we disagree DOES NOT MEAN we are discriminating. Let me say that again. DISAGREEING IS NOT DISCRIMINATING.

And I say all that to say, we are all sinners. And we all face different sins. I may battle a different sin then you, it may not be homosexuality but it is a sin and that doesn't make it any different. We are all born into sin so everybody here could be challenging that homosexuality urge, killing urge, lusting for children etc. One doesn't make anybody better than the other. But if I believe jn Christ and just as He did ate with the sinners, tax collectors, loved on them unconditionally then so will I.

Back when embracing differences and tolerance were the goals, disagreeing wasn't discriminating. There was a clearly understood difference. The rules have changed. Throwing blue or pink baby showers can offend people now because it promotes gender roles. I bet yellow would cause outrage as well for some reason. Equality isn't about acceptance it's about sameness wherever possible. Disagree with anything and that's some form of "shaming", bullying, or my favorite "clinging to outdated moral codes". It's not enough to let people be who they are you have to be an enthusiastic supporter or keep your mouth shut.

I'm glad Kirk says he'd be welcoming, but "nobody's perfect" and and talking of it as a sin is still an incorrect mindset. Homosexuality is not a flaw anymore than race or gender. He shouldn't be attacked though, at least his mindset is progressive as far as devout religion goes. But as much as he wants to show that gay player the path of Jesus I would hope that the gay player instead was able to show Kirk that his sexual orientation is not a flaw/sin. 

Equality isn't about acceptance it's about sameness wherever possible. Disagree with anything and that's some form of "shaming", bullying, or my favorite "clinging to outdated moral codes". It's not enough to let people be who they are you have to be an enthusiastic supporter or keep your mouth shut.

The problem is that sexual orientation is part of everyone's being, their core. So if enough people disagree with who a person is at their core then that person can never be truly accepted and our own nation's history has shown that when that happens, such a person is not treated equally.

This is why interracial marriage was opposed for so long and in parts of society still is (there was even the Cheerios commercial that turned into an issue because of it, sadly). African Americans weren't, and for some still aren't, viewed as equals and thus were viewed as not good enough for white partners in marriage.

I think separate but equal showed that equality can't truly happen without acceptance.

It's not be an enthusiastic supporter, it's more like realize that it's no more relevant than race or shoe size or hair color.

I think part of the issue is that for many (obviously not all) whose sexuality or gender (trans*, bi-gender, etc.) is outside of what is/was the cultural norms within our society, a sensitivity to words and actions has understandably developed that can make it difficult to not view what normally would be a well intended comment like Cousins' into something that can be construed as border-line (or outright) insulting.

I mean, think about it. Groups like the Family Research Council and American Family Association spend every day on their radio shows, tv shows, media interviews, and so forth attacking homosexuals. That giving them equal rights will literally destroy the country. That male homosexuals are child predators. That bestiality is part of the "gay lifestyle". That homosexuals should be deported or placed into camps. That federal judges who rule against SSM bans are "domestic enemies" and should be impeached. Are these folks extremist in their views? Yup. Are there politicians who, at the very least, sympathize with their views? Yup, and they are doing the best to make sure that those who are LGBT are/remain second-class citizens. Hell, in some parts of the country it is pretty much required if you want to make it through the primaries. And all of them are doing so under the banner of religion.

Even those who are not extreme in their views can still unintentionally trigger a bad response, like the continuous use of the word "lifestyle" to describe LGBT, like it is some choice they made one day..."Hey, I'm gonna go make out with some guy cause that sounds like fun". I am a heterosexual bi-gendered male (hey, woohoo...."outing" myself in a rant post). I am fortunate in that, in my case, it is not something most would notice unless they spend a lot of time around me, and even when stranger does notice they just assume I am gay if I am in the middle of a switch (my term for it). It has also caused me to have issues with depression, confusion about my sexuality, emotional problems with relationships,  played a role in my first marriage ending, gender and body dysphoria, suicidal thoughts, and all kinds of other fun issues. That is not a lifestyle, it is an a very large piece of who I am, something out of my control, that society's attitudes made difficult for me to come to terms with, to find myself and be happy with myself. Calling it a "lifestyle" is belittling  - and I did not have to deal with a tenth as much crap as someone who is homosexual. In my case, I only had to deal with a father who tried to beat the "sissy" out of me...homosexuals literally have to fear for their lives in many parts of the world.

Are many LGBT and their supporters a bit overly sensitive to the opinions of others - yup and with good reason. The good news is that every time someone like a Michael Sam stands up, every time clergy members such as the Episcopal bishops in Kansas say "LGBT discrimination is wrong", every time the Bryan Fischer's of the world are ignored,  it helps bring people on both sides closer together, which will lead to discussions such as this thread being a thing of the past because we will be able to "agree to disagree" without the baggage that currently exists.   

In the case of Cousins' comment: The last part seems a bit...not sure what word I am looking for. It comes across as if he is either saying:

1. "I am going to show him that Christians are about love and respect" - like a counterpoint to guys like Vilma. I think this is what he meant, and in which case, great! (and this is coming from a non-Christian).

2. "I am going to try and lead him to Jesus" - which is a bit much, especially since there are Christians who are homosexual, thus do not need him to do anything, and really has no business in the workplace. I mean, what would the response be if a Wiccan player setup an alter in his locker? Probably would not be well received. Plus it comes really close to the whole "pray the gay away" that some groups push. I do NOT think this is what he meant.

I mean so what about pediphiles...do we stop there? Pretty soon they gonna want equal rights to do whatever they want because as you say,,,homosexuality is not a lifestyle but who you are...a lot of pediphiles say the same...but they are looked at as evil and you can fill the blank in...

But then beastiality is gonna want equal rights to where they can marry goats..and horses...etc etc

Bottom line is we are all BORN into sin...I acknowledge that...whether you be born into homosexuality...beastialit, pedophilia..see what's so amazing about God is scripture says God knew you before you was in the womb...he CREATED you perfect but because you was born into sin you was made non perfect...yet you can be born again..

I can't lie and sit here and say I haven't faced some nasty stuff and sometimes I have in...That is still my daily battle. Hence why we have to crucify ourselves everyday...it's not a sprint it's a marathon and some days I do fall short...and through this all Adam I want you to know that I don't look at you any differently...nor should I...not would I...we all have our battles, the thing is and this is truly the million dollar question is: do I accept what I'm facing and go along with it or do I challenge it? That becomes the choice...and the lifestyle you have. As far as Kirks comments go..,they perfectly in line with how I feel...

Kirk Cousins Of Washington Redskins Says He'd 'Welcome' Gay Teammate: 'Nobody's Perfect'

I need a face palm smiley.

Tell you what Kirk... Why don't you start by showing me the words Jesus used to condemn homosexuality as a sin.

Jesus spoke and taught exclusively to Jews, why would he need to condemn something they already knew was unlawful and didn't engage in? Interesting how you don't mention Paul, who spoke to Gentiles who did engage in those activities, and DID condemn it.

Pedophiles prey on children who cannot give legal consent, do not agree to the sexual activity which is occurring, and suffer devastating emotional and physical trauma. How does that even compare to two consenting adults who love each other wanting to be together? 

That argument is just one example of why some react badly to comments such as Cousins'. It is one thing to say "I think homosexuality is a sin". Ok, fine with me. The Bible lists a lot of things that Christians consider sins, and honestly it is really only matters to Christians and others who look to the Bible as truth. I am not a Christian (or Jew or Muslim), so we are not going to agree on many things that you would consider a "sin" (and probably agree on some).

It is another to basically pull out the "pedophile and bestiality" card when homosexuality is discussed. I mean, according to the Bible, getting a divorce and then re-marrying is a sin. So am I just like a pedophile because I remarried? Where were the calls comparing Newt Gingrich to a pedophile in 2012 - he's not only had 3 wives, he committed adultery. Rush Limbaugh has had 4 wives, so why no comparisons to bestiality in articles or TV pundits? Why are state legislatures not trying to pass bans on divorce? Why are individuals who are divorced not being beaten outside bars or ridiculed at C-Pac?

It would be like comparing a religious extremist group that flies a jet into a building or releases poison gas in a subway to, well, folks like yourself, every time religion is discussed. It would be insulting to you, would most likely cause a bad reaction, and after awhile you would probably perceive any criticism of your beliefs as a personal attack (I assume at least).

(side note: I have had similar discussions with atheists who get insulting towards those who are religious like you and myself. When someone is discussing religion and starts in with the "fairy tale" and such, it creates animosity and turns the discussion into an argument. I have *zero* problems with atheists, I do take issue with jerks however.)

Where we are also going to disagree is the "lifestyle" discussion. In my case, "challenging" who I am because I felt I had to, because the churches I attended, my father, the culture I grew up in (mostly Southern), television, etc. said so. And it almost literally killed me. It wasn't until I met my second wife (extremely supportive and understanding) and a friend who deals with this sort of thing and was able to point me in the right direction as far as support and information, that I understood myself, that I am embraced instead of fighting, and became a better person spiritually, a better husband, and a better father in the process.

Or, in other words and in the spirit of the thread, we will have to agree to disagree :)

PS: I know you mean well with your response, and while I do not agree with you on, well, really any part of it I do appreciate the sentiment behind it. I once was doing pest control for a church in Louisiana. The minister saw that I was feeling really worn down (I had just hit my 85th hour of work in 4 days) and he and those who were having a meeting with him like swamped me in a big circle and prayed for me. Now, I do not follow the Christian god, but that is not really the point. In their own way they were showing concern for a stranger, and it was appreciated.

I mean so what about pediphiles...do we stop there? Pretty soon they gonna want equal rights to do whatever they want because as you say,,,homosexuality is not a lifestyle but who you are...a lot of pediphiles say the same...but they are looked at as evil and you can fill the blank in...

But then beastiality is gonna want equal rights to where they can marry goats..and horses...etc etc

Who the hell let Rick Santorum in here?

But seriously, comparing homosexuality with bestiality and pedophelia is not only immensely stupid, but it is also pretty damn insulting to gay men and women.

Bottom line is we are all BORN into sin...I acknowledge that...whether you be born into homosexuality...beastialit, pedophilia..see what's so amazing about God is scripture says God knew you before you was in the womb...he CREATED you perfect but because you was born into sin you was made non perfect...yet you can be born again..

I can't lie and sit here and say I haven't faced some nasty stuff and sometimes I have in...That is still my daily battle. Hence why we have to crucify ourselves everyday...it's not a sprint it's a marathon and some days I do fall short...and through this all Adam I want you to know that I don't look at you any differently...nor should I...not would I...we all have our battles, the thing is and this is truly the million dollar question is: do I accept what I'm facing and go along with it or do I challenge it? That becomes the choice...and the lifestyle you have. As far as Kirks comments go..,they perfectly in line with how I feel...

Out of curiosity, would you be uncomfortable being alone in a room with a gay man?

Who the hell let Rick Santorum in here?

But seriously, comparing homosexuality with bestiality and pedophelia is not only immensely stupid, but it is also pretty damn insulting to gay men and women.

its ignorant. I still feel most people's disapproval of the gays comes down to "feeling icky ",but it just sounds more justified to stand behind religion.

Nope, sure wouldn't. I'd even buy a pizza and share with him if we was hungry.

And in no way am I comparing anybody's homosexuality to a pediphile. What I am saying for those who decided to respond to that section of my post, is that homosexuals are fighting for "equal rights". Homosexuality is a sin (you don't have to believe that if you don't want to). It's not something that most can choose (I say most cause majority are born into it; others may do it by choice) that is a sin for them to challenge. Pedophiles say that they are born that way...that they are just naturally attracted to younger people. Sometimes it's disturbing how bad that it is...but that is their sin they have to challenge. What I am now saying is that if homosexuals (who choose to accept and go with that sin) who are fighting for "equal" rights , who is to say that pedophiles won't fight for equal rights. You hve some pedophiles that have consent with the minor, does that make it ok? Their both a sin, one is not greater than the other. Which one makes it worse? Because they both born into sin just facing different ones...ones any better?

Or in beastiality, if the animal is in love with the human and vice versa, who is to say no they shouldn't be? Or you gonna "discriminate" against them? Is it your mind that says that those two cannot get married...

Where does the line stop is what I'm asking.

its ignorant. I still feel most people's disapproval of the gays comes down to "feeling icky ",but it just sounds more justified to stand behind religion.

Good thing I don't practice religion. I practice relationship :)

Again...disagreeing is not discriminating.

I REALLY don't see what was bad in what he said in any way.

It looked to me like he bridged the gap rather well.

I mean, unless anyone wantsto take exception to him saying he'd try to teach him Jesus' ways..  again, i have no problem with it. that could be a one sentence conversation that happens once...  or never.

I doubt he's going to evangelize in the locker room.

Maybe my outrage bone is broken.

~Bang

You hve some pedophiles that have consent with the minor, does that make it ok? Their both a sin, one is not greater than the other. Which one makes it worse? Because they both born into sin just facing different ones...ones any better?

Or in beastiality, if the animal is in love with the human and vice versa, who is to say no they shouldn't be? Or you gonna "discriminate" against them? Is it your mind that says that those two cannot get married...

These are rediculous statements.  I can't take you seriously.

It's unbeilevable that you think there are minors who are consenting in acts of pedophila.

These are rediculous statements.  I can't take you seriously.

It's unbeilevable that you think there are minors who are consenting in acts of pedophila.

Agreed, that post was insulting in it's ignorance.

~Bang

if anything, Kirk's "nobody's perfect" line was hilarious, though he obviously didn't mean it that way. 

At the end of the day, Kirk said he'd welcome a gay player on the team, which is all that matters. 

Archived