Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

Reminds me of years ago when Frank Robinson busted Brendan Donnelly for this and Mike Scioscia got nuts about it. What happens? Both skippers get suspended a game and the pitcher gets 8. How about when a pitcher is busted, it's a season ended and the manager misses one week? Curb this ****.

Reminds me of years ago when Frank Robinson busted Brendan Donnelly for this and Mike Scioscia got nuts about it. What happens? Both skippers get suspended a game and the pitcher gets 8. How about when a pitcher is busted, it's a season ended and the manager misses one week? Curb this ****.

A lot of guys said they don't really mind pine tar. Barry Larkin for one. It allows the pitcher to throw strikes. Which is what the batter wants. You don't want an uncontrolled ball flying at your body. But it IS still cheating. I'd hope pineda gets 10 days for this.

BS will love this post LOL

Craig Kimbrel is a perfect example of how to use pine tar and get away with it:

664452016.jpg?1348969005

There is a reason he always touches the same spot on his hat, and it is always the same color (pine tar). As long as a pitcher isn't rubbing the whole ball up or adding so much to a spot it changes the weight, whats the big deal? Better grip? Batters use it.

Maybe he hides it under his armpit.  That's the only explanation I can figure for the douchey way he dangles his arm while looking in for the sign:

CraigKimbrelArbSG-1024x640.jpg

There is a reason he always touches the same spot on his hat, and it is always the same color (pine tar). As long as a pitcher isn't rubbing the whole ball up or adding so much to a spot it changes the weight, whats the big deal? Better grip? Batters use it.

I agree. It sounds like most hitters don't have a problem with it unless it's completley obvious or you can see the pine tar all over the baseball. Like you said, the batters use it for a better grip on their bat, why can't pitchers use some?

664452016.jpg?1348969005

Batters use it for grip. Pitches use it to get better spin on the ball.

Having a better grip doesn't affect the way the batter swings. It simply enables him to hang on to the bat. Being able to add spin to a ball greatly affects the way the pitcher performs. It's the same reason that MLB games go through so many balls. If there is a scuff, a pitcher can use it to put a funky spin on the ball. So they get rid of the ball.

I agree. It sounds like most hitters don't have a problem with it unless it's completley obvious or you can see the pine tar all over the baseball. Like you said, the batters use it for a better grip on their bat, why can't pitchers use some?

Because that's the purpose of the rosin bag. The only grip problems that pitchers should have is with sweat. Rosin bags nullify that. 

Adding a tacky substance to the pitching hand/fingers should always be prohibited. 

I just wish they would crack down on all the pitchers and give them 30 game suspensions for first offenses for doctoring the ball in this (and any other) manner. 

A lot of guys said they don't really mind pine tar. Barry Larkin for one. It allows the pitcher to throw strikes. Which is what the batter wants. You don't want an uncontrolled ball flying at your body. But it IS still cheating. I'd hope pineda gets 10 days for this.

He did indeed get 10 for this. I'm assuming it's 10 Yankee games and not 10 starts. Right?

Doc Gooden Calls BS On People Saying Pine Tar Is Just To Help Pitchers Get A Grip On The Ball

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/24/doc-gooden-calls-b-s-on-people-saying-pine-tar-is-just-to-help-pitchers-get-a-grip-on-the-ball/

I'm glad Doc Gooden came out with this statement because I was thinking the samething. You're telling me vasoline and spit can make a ball move but pine tar can't?

664452016.jpg?1348969005

naw, naw...that's just dirt and stuff from the rosin bag. :ph34r:

If you go on ESPN, their sportsnation poll is do you have a problem with pitchers who use pine tar to gain a better grip on a ball.  And the only 2 states that have voted no are NY and NJ.  lol  (Yes winning 53-47, overall)

Adding a tacky substance to the pitching hand/fingers should always be prohibited.

I just wish they would crack down on all the pitchers and give them 30 game suspensions for first offenses for doctoring the ball in this (and any other) manner.

Here here. 10 game suspension might mean something to a relief pitcher, but they need to ammend the suspension for starters. With 10 games, that could be 2 starts, or his manager can flip his second start with the guy starting the day after his suspension ends & he only misses one game. Either way, 80% of that time the starter is resting. There is like a .00000000001% chance they would use a starter in between starts under extreme circumstances, & that is getting rarer every year.

Suspend starters for 3 starts, & for teams that whine they are losing their best starter & can't possibly replace the guy, let them shorten their rotation by 1, and cycle 3 times so they get the guy back in 12 games instead of 15 (or 9 instead of 12 if they where going with a 4 man rotation)

Archived