Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 MLB Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

No, they have been a franchise since 1969.  The Expos relocated to Washington in 2005 and changed the name.  Last World Series won was in 1995, they made it twice since then, last year being 1999.

Well if we're going back that far that statement is true. Though the Expos were the favorites in '94, which was the strike shortened season. 

Still a pretty ****ty argument since neither team has won anything worth bragging about since the Nats have been the "Nats."

Ugh. This thread is ruined every year. I'm out of it for good.

And we aren't talking about the Expos, we are talking about the Nats since 2005. Neither the Braves nor the Nats have won anything meaningful sense then, so I don't know how quoting a meaningless stat about World Series appearances is evidence that the Braves are somehow superior to the Nats, considering its they have gone just as long without an appearance.

Instead of admitting his team has been horrible as of late, BS resorts to putting down others in an attempt to make himself feel better. Lol.

The Nats are the same franchise as the Expos.  They were relocated to DC.  They are not an expansion team.  There was no start over, except in the city they played.  

Also, I was correcting and pointing out the right WS stat that was posted by a Nats fan.  Where did I post the Braves were superior?  Comparing the two franchises, yes they are, but I didn't post that until you brought it up.  

You don't get a "restart" because your franchise moved and changed names.  Your still the Expos with a new name starting in 2005.  I'm a Braves fan, and how is making the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years and winning the division last season "horrible"?  While the ultimate goal is to win a World Series, you have to accomplish regular season goals to get to the post season.  They have.

Well if we're going back that far that statement is true. Though the Expos were the favorites in '94, which was the strike shortened season. 

Still a pretty ****ty argument since neither team has won anything worth bragging about since the Nats have been the "Nats."

Ugh. This thread is ruined every year. I'm out of it for good.

LOL, don't give up.  

Pretty much. Just another reason why the "world series" argument is a stupid one.

I wouldn't say the Nats have shocked the nation either, but the fact that they have played as well as they have with all the injuries and early season mishaps (first inning runs in bunches, errors) really speaks volumes.

They are not playing bad considering.  I will give you that.  The Braves have their share of injuries too.  

LOL, don't give up.   

I'm not giving anything. Neither is anybody else, hence the quality of this thread. Though I can't blame fans of other teams not being able to with the constant **** throwing back and forth. This thread is meant for "MLB Discussion".. Yes the two teams argued for and against are in the MLB, obviously, but neither side adds anything worth discussion when all they're doing is cheering or jeering a team(s). If you are only interested in discussing one team, join that teams FREE message board. 

Take it as a W if it makes you feel better, but how about we try to act like adults..

I mean it's been almost 2 months and no one in this thread has typed the name Jose Abreau and the season he's had thus far, in an "MLB Discussion" thread.. 

Not expecting this to change anyone's mind either, which is sad.

So, interesting fact I just found out. Colorado's pitching staff has a higher ERA away from Coors Park. Not by much (4.12 home vs 4.38 away). And maybe it's just coincidence, but I find that pretty interesting. You'd think that they would give up a ton of runs at home.

When in doubt, ask what the Nats have done since 2005. Love how BS finally talks up when the Braves squeak out a win.

It was actually 2001 iirc. As bad as the Nats were in the early years, it payed off in the forms of high draft picks. I'd rather suck and get early picks then get knocked out in the first round every year.

Stop being dumb, Kyle. As was the case with Saturday, you and your sidekick ix started your trolling...and I ended it.

Once again, you can't start crap and then whine when you get put in your place.

When are you going to learn....you're a Nats fan..you can't say ANYTHING to me lol. I know that pains you and ix. That's just the way it is, man.

That would be like me talking trash to a Yankees fan lol. And btw, what exactly has all those high draft picks gotten you? Zilch!

And we aren't talking about the Expos, we are talking about the Nats since 2005. Neither the Braves nor the Nats have won anything meaningful sense then, so I don't know how quoting a meaningless stat about World Series appearances is evidence that the Braves are somehow superior to the Nats, considering its they have gone just as long without an appearance.

Instead of admitting his team has been horrible as of late, BS resorts to putting down others in an attempt to make himself feel better. Lol.

Dude, the quote was a reminder that your team has done nothing...ever. In other words, you're the Philadelphia Eagles of the NL East.

But that, nor any of my return smack, is directed at the Nationals' fanbase as a whole. It's directed at YOU (and ix).

And yeah, my team has been horrible of late, but we're still in first place. So, what's your point? It's an 162-game season. EVERY team goes through bad stretches of play. YOUR team has lost 5 of 6 and 22 of 29 to mine. So why are you constantly running your trap?

I owe Bubble Screen an apology. With the addition of another Braves fan, I now clearly see that whatever it is, it isn't your fault. I mean goddamn, holy ****, if you took user names away, I wouldn't be able to tell which is you and which is DTMB. It's actually pretty amazing. So yeah, I'm thinking it's something to do with TBS. Maybe their commercials have subliminal retardation commercials or something, I don't know. Whatever it is, it isn't your fault. So just let it out bro.

And I'm now done here too. Good luck guys.

P.S. **** the Braves

I owe Bubble Screen an apology. With the addition of another Braves fan, I now clearly see that whatever it is, it isn't your fault. I mean goddamn, holy ****, if you took user names away, I wouldn't be able to tell which is you and which is DTMB. It's actually pretty amazing. So yeah, I'm thinking it's something to do with TBS. Maybe their commercials have subliminal retardation commercials or something, I don't know. Whatever it is, it isn't your fault. So just let it out bro.

And I'm now done here too. Good luck guys.

P.S. **** the Braves

I haven't bashed the Nationals.  And the Braves had a rough period from 2005 - 2009 and a bad season in 2011.  I saw people post incorrect information about the Braves and responded to it with accurate information.  If they want to talk only about 2005 to current, fine by me.  

But with that said, I just wanted other posters to acknowledge that the Nationals are not an expansion franchise, they are a relocated franchise.  They didn't start over from scratch, except for the remarketing in the name change and change of location.  It was almost like their argument was based on them being a brand new expansion team.

Facts  being that the franchise finished first in 1994 and 1981 and didn't do **** until 2012.  Lets compare 2005-2012 if you want to:  Nationals finished 5th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th, 1st, 2nd (losing in the divisional round).   Braves finished 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st (losing the divisional round in 2005, 2010 and 2013; wildcard in 2012).  

Both teams have not set the world on fire, no doubt.  The Braves have been rising back to the top and the Nats are hanging right there with them.  But the Braves have done more since 2005 than the Nats.  Not really sure how anyone can argue that.  And no need to call Braves fans retarded when they point out the stats, how is that our fault?  

I haven't bashed the Nationals.  And the Braves had a rough period from 2005 - 2009 and a bad season in 2011.  I saw people post incorrect information about the Braves and responded to it with accurate information.  If they want to talk only about 2005 to current, fine by me.  

But with that said, I just wanted other posters to acknowledge that the Nationals are not an expansion franchise, they are a relocated franchise.  They didn't start over from scratch, except for the remarketing in the name change and change of location.  It was almost like their argument was based on them being a brand new expansion team.

Facts  being that the franchise finished first in 1994 and 1981 and didn't do **** until 2012.  Lets compare 2005-2012 if you want to:  Nationals finished 5th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th, 1st, 2nd (losing in the divisional round).   Braves finished 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st (losing the divisional round in 2005, 2010 and 2013; wildcard in 2012).  

Both teams have not set the world on fire, no doubt.  The Braves have been rising back to the top and the Nats are hanging right there with them.  But the Braves have done more since 2005 than the Nats.  Not really sure how anyone can argue that.  And no need to call Braves fans retarded when they point out the stats, how is that our fault?  

Name one other "relocated" team that MLB ran into the ground (the destroyed the farm system - worst in MLB), traded away most of the talent.  The Nats were a relocated team in name only. Hell, an expansion team at least gets to "draft" a player from each franchise for 3 rounds. The Nats had what MLB left for them.

Whenever Morse has been healthy, he's hit. Problem is that he has struggled to stay healthy. I was incredibly bitter when the Nationals traded Meyer for Span and gave up Morse to re-sign LaRoche. I still say I'm justified.

In LF . . . he isn't terrible. He's not great.  But he isn't so bad as you would think. He came in to the league as a shortstop so he has athleticism.

I wonder about Morse's locker room presence.  He was always a huge fan favorite.  He seems to be a free-spirited, goofy guy.  On the surface, it would seem he would be a great teammate.  But I wonder if that loosey-goosey attitude might wear thin over the course of a long season.  Maybe, maybe not.  It seems the fans miss him a lot more than the players do. 

Well, at least history was made last night in ****sburgh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjpyxvouEeE

Walk off win via an overturned replay call (I personally thought it wasn't conclusive enough to overturn although I can see the argument for him being safe).

I wonder about Morse's locker room presence.  He was always a huge fan favorite.  He seems to be a free-spirited, goofy guy.  On the surface, it would seem he would be a great teammate.  But I wonder if that loosey-goosey attitude might wear thin over the course of a long season.  Maybe, maybe not.  It seems the fans miss him a lot more than the players do. 

If so, the "loosey-goosey" attitude will fit in in SF. Other than Posey and MadBum, that team has been full of personalities for 20+ years. 

If so, the "loosey-goosey" attitude will fit in in SF. Other than Posey and MadBum, that team has been full of personalities for 20+ years. 

I wanted him to stay in DC.  I don't know why they couldn't find a role for him. 

Name one other "relocated" team that MLB ran into the ground (the destroyed the farm system - worst in MLB), traded away most of the talent.  The Nats were a relocated team in name only. Hell, an expansion team at least gets to "draft" a player from each franchise for 3 rounds. The Nats had what MLB left for them.

The owner of the Expos traded away talent and refused to bring in/pay players long before MLB took over the franchise in 2002.  I can't speak to the farm system, because I don't follow the farm teams of other MLB teams, but I can see that being a valid argument.  

But since 2005 its not like they didn't have high draft picks and talent available to draft (you had three top 5 picks including #1 overall twice, #6 twice, #9 and #10).  It's starting to pay off now, but that's what rebuilding a team is about.  

Honestly, both teams are similar in what they went through from 2005 on, as the Braves lost all their pitching, got a new owner that didn't put near as much money into the team like Turner did, etc.  

I don't have a problem with anyone supporting their team, but bashing the Braves to me is pointless, especially coming from Nats fans.  Yes, I know we are in the same division, but again, the Nationals haven't done enough yet to warrant any true hate from us Braves fans.

With both teams being really good teams, should they continue to fight for the top of the division and if the Nats start taking away the majority of division titles, I'm sure I'll change my opinion about them.

One thing I have noticed in the other sports threads in the Tailgate is there is a pack mentality against anyone that pulls for teams outside the DMV area.  I've observed a lot of posters team up and bash other posters because they pull for X or Y team.  And when facts are corrected or pointed out, it leads to more bashing or a pissing match or an enjoy the thread I'm out (i.e. taking my ball and going home).  

Hell, I just got called a retarded via subliminal commercials from TBS by Gacolb, which was a childish response to my post.  And I could really care less about his comment, it did give me a chuckle.  If you want to bash the Braves, by all means do so, but don't expect Braves fans to sit back and not respond.  

Weather you like it or not, we are here because we are all linked to the Redskins, and you're going to get a lot of posters that don't pull for the Nats/Wizards/Caps/Terps/VA/VA Tech/etc., especially those of us in the south (i.e. NC, SC, GA).

The owner of the Expos traded away talent and refused to bring in/pay players long before MLB took over the franchise in 2002.  I can't speak to the farm system, because I don't follow the farm teams of other MLB teams, but I can see that being a valid argument.  

But since 2005 its not like they didn't have high draft picks and talent available to draft (you had three top 5 picks including #1 overall twice, #6 twice, #9 and #10).  It's starting to pay off now, but that's what rebuilding a team is about.  

Honestly, both teams are similar in what they went through from 2005 on, as the Braves lost all their pitching, got a new owner that didn't put near as much money into the team like Turner did, etc.  

I don't have a problem with anyone supporting their team, but bashing the Braves to me is pointless, especially coming from Nats fans.  Yes, I know we are in the same division, but again, the Nationals haven't done enough yet to warrant any true hate from us Braves fans.

With both teams being really good teams, should they continue to fight for the top of the division and if the Nats start taking away the majority of division titles, I'm sure I'll change my opinion about them.

One thing I have noticed in the other sports threads in the Tailgate is there is a pack mentality against anyone that pulls for teams outside the DMV area.  I've observed a lot of posters team up and bash other posters because they pull for X or Y team.  And when facts are corrected or pointed out, it leads to more bashing or a pissing match or an enjoy the thread I'm out (i.e. taking my ball and going home).  

Hell, I just got called a retarded via subliminal commercials from TBS by Gacolb, which was a childish response to my post.  And I could really care less about his comment, it did give me a chuckle.  If you want to bash the Braves, by all means do so, but don't expect Braves fans to sit back and not respond.  

Weather you like it or not, we are here because we are all linked to the Redskins, and you're going to get a lot of posters that don't pull for the Nats/Wizards/Caps/Terps/VA/VA Tech/etc., especially those of us in the south (i.e. NC, SC, GA).

Quite a bit of the hate thrown at Braves fans is based on the expert level trolling BS provides on a regular basis. Just watch his response to this post...

Stop being dumb, Kyle. As was the case with Saturday, you and your sidekick ix started your trolling...and I ended it.

Once again, you can't start crap and then whine when you get put in your place.

When are you going to learn....you're a Nats fan..you can't say ANYTHING to me lol. I know that pains you and ix. That's just the way it is, man.

That would be like me talking trash to a Yankees fan lol. And btw, what exactly has all those high draft picks gotten you? Zilch!

Lol, all IX said was that the Braves have been bad as of late, something you obviously take personally. It wasn't directed at you, the fact that you get butthurt whenever someone says something bad about the Braves isn't our fault. And btw, because the Nats/Expos have been historically bad I can't "say anything"? The Nats have been essentially tied with the Braves the past few days despite having 3 everyday stars out.

It's a damn shame that the Braves are treating Turner field like a disposable diaper.

Here are the stadiums that were built within 5 years (on either side) of Turner Field. I don't see many of them being abandoned in the next few years.

US Cellular Field

Camden Yards

Arlington

Progressive Field (Cleveland)

Coors

Chase

Safeco

AT&T

Comerica

It's a damn shame that the Braves are treating Turner field like a disposable diaper.

Here are the stadiums that were built within 5 years (on either side) of Turner Field. I don't see many of them being abandoned in the next few years.

US Cellular Field

Camden Yards

Arlington

Coors

Chase

Safeco

AT&T

Comerica

This I agree with.  I haven't been to a game there since 1998 though and it was awesome then.  

Still better than the Hunter Pence practice swing.

:)

Hunter Pence might be the most awkward-looking player in the history of baseball.  When I watch him he looks like a guy in those old-timey early 1900's black and white newsreels where the speed is just a notch too high.

think I've posted it before, but here's an early White Sox scouting report on Pence.  The physical description is spot-on and hilarious:

PENCE.jpg

I love everything about Pence and to be honest, he was single handedly the best player last year on the disappointing Giants. He's been by far their best signing/trade in quite awhile.

Plus, if you ever show a kid how baseball should be played, I think Pence is a perfect example. All hustle all the time.

His mechanics though just look wrong.

US Cellular Field

Camden Yards

Arlington

Coors

Chase

Safeco

AT&T

Comerica

We've already gone over the stadium situation. Bliz can explain it a lot better than I can, since he lives there.

Bottom line, it's the city of Atlanta's fault, not the Braves.

I love everything about Pence and to be honest, he was single handedly the best player last year on the disappointing Giants. He's been by far their best signing/trade in quite awhile.

Plus, if you ever show a kid how baseball should be played, I think Pence is a perfect example. All hustle all the time.

His mechanics though just look wrong.

Actuallly, Pence is the LAST guy you want your kid to emulate. Well, the batting stance, anyway. Joe Simpson brings that up each time we play you guys haha.

Quite a bit of the hate thrown at Braves fans is based on the expert level trolling BS provides on a regular basis. Just watch his response to this post...

Well, I went back and read this thread from the beginning (work was slow today) and if anyone considers him posting "The Braves rule", etc. trolling, then I've read more trolling directed towards him from others than he has dished out.

I also saw debates between him and a handful of people in this thread where he is pointing out stats or his opinion on a topic (i.e. the shutting down of Stras prior to the end of the season, with a team to contend for a WS).  It's a forum board, not everyone is going to agree with each other, specifically fans of different teams.  Where else should he post his comments about the Braves?  Here.  Same with me as a Braves fan, or a Yankee fan, or a Giants fan, etc.  

This was a thread designed to talk about baseball, all teams, where one would expect fans to brag/boast about their team, rag each other some about other teams, etc.  Fans of any team posting are in the minority here, unless your team is the Nats.  

Also, I would think if he were truly trolling Nats fans, he would be calling the Nats out in the Nats thread, but he's not made one post in there (if he did, point me to it - I scrolled backwards to page 29 and then from page 1-5 and didn't see one post from him).  And I'm sure people are going to post more childish comments directed at me because I'm defending Bubble Screen, but I don't really care.  

Some of y'all make so much out of nothing.  And this is not directed at you Popeman, just my elaboration/interpretation of what I read in this thread.  Some specific posters in here go after him any chance they get.

Hell, I got jumped on and called retarded because I'm a Braves fan and joined this thread to clarify some mis-facts about my Braves and defend my team...........yes, I felt the need to point that out again because if it were reversed and I said that about anyone on here, people would be all over me like a pack of wolves.

With that said, lets get back to topic and discuss baseball and our respective teams.  

Archived