Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS NAME THREE ASSISTANT COACHES Team adds Wes Phillips, retains Foerster, Haslett in previous roles

TK

For Immediate Release

January 17, 2014

REDSKINS NAME THREE ASSISTANT COACHES

Team adds Wes Phillips, retains Foerster, Haslett in previous roles

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Wes Phillips as Tight Ends Coach and will retain Chris Foerster as Offensive Line Coach and Jim Haslett as Defensive Coordinator.

Phillips is entering his eighth NFL season after spending the first seven years of his NFL career in various coaching capacities with the Dallas Cowboys. Before assuming the role of tight ends coach in 2013, Phillips assisted with the Cowboys’ offense in multiple roles across the 2007-12 seasons. During Phillips’ seven seasons with Dallas, the team’s offense finished in the Top 10 on six occasions (2007-12). In that same seven-year span, Cowboys tight end Jason Witten led all NFL tight ends in receptions (627), receiving yards (6,961) and yards after catch (2,589), while earning five Pro Bowl berths.

Phillips, 34, played quarterback at the University of Texas-El Paso from 1999-01, before playing for the San Diego Riptide in the AF2 from 2002-03. He returned to UTEP as a student assistant coach in 2003. His collegiate background also includes coaching positions at West Texas A&M (2004-05) and Baylor (2006).

Foerster, 52, is entering his fifth season in Washington after originally joining the Redskins as the team’s offensive line coach on Jan. 21, 2010. In the last two seasons, Foerster’s unit has paved the way for the Redskins to rush for 4,873 yards, the most in the NFL in that time frame. Under his tutelage, tackle Trent Williams earned Pro Bowl berths following each of the past two seasons.

Haslett, 58, will serve as defensive coordinator for his fifth season with the Redskins after originally joining the team on Jan. 15, 2010. Members of Haslett’s defenses in Washington have accounted for seven of the team’s 10 Pro Bowl selections from 2010-13.

PHILLIPS FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1997-2001: Quarterback, UTEP

2002-03: Quarterback, San Diego Riptide (AF2)

2003: Student Assistant, UTEP

2004-05 Quarterbacks Coach, West Texas A&M

2006: Quarterbacks Coach, Baylor

2007-10: Quality Control/Offensive Assistant, Dallas Cowboys

2011-12: Assistant Offensive Line Coach/Assistant Special Teams Coach, Dallas Cowboys

2013: Tight Ends Coach, Dallas Cowboys

2014: Tight Ends Coach, Washington Redskins

Like the Phillips hire. Foerster should be ok given the changes we're making in blocking scheme and that apparently he pushed for younger guys to get a start but was ignored by Shanny.

The ONLY optimism I have with Haslett is that he is only on a 1 year deal, has a better staff around him now, and should get better players. No excuses now at all. Still really, really, really, really don't like him being DC.

Like the Phillips hire. Foerster should be ok given the changes we're making in blocking scheme and that apparently he pushed for younger guys to get a start but was ignored by Shanny.

The ONLY optimism I have with Haslett is that he is only on a 1 year deal, has a better staff around him now, and should get better players. No excuses now at all. Still really, really, really, really don't like him being DC.

I saw on another thread though they were looking to extend his contract. Kind of makes sense. Can't have a lame duck coordinator. I think they would still let him walk with another bottom feeder D.

I will give Gruden the benefit of the doubt. But like you, I am not happy about keeping haslett. I hope they both prove us wrong!!  

I just got a splitting headache seeing Haslett name on the Redskins coaching staff as a DC........ Well Gruden, I hope you know what the heck you're doing because this move right here is the first concern I have that you made. And it's a GREAT one. But I'll wait and see how it shakes out. I guess relationships CAN go along ways even in the sight of troubles that have past and may come.

If they do give him an extension, ughhhhh, then my only hope becomes that either Gruden is willing to fire him soon with a bad D and that the contract has that as a contingency, or that Haslett with free reign and a good staff and hopefully good players has the defense looking like it did 2nd half of 2012. 

Part of me really wants to fool myself into thinking Haslett can do alright now. 2nd half of 2012 and end of this season the D has looked better, and both of those times were when Shanny had apparently started to give up. So maybe he loosened the reigns then and Haslett with more freedom did better. But I'm just so jaded from 4 years of this defense and Haslett's past. He wasn't a celebrated hire under Shanny, he's not now. Evevn with free reign it's hard to see the defense being any better than middle-of-the-pack. Hopefully offense is top 10 again, then that may be all the help we need from defense. 

The writing on the wall from the beginning. I was just surprised some people were still doubting Haslett would be back. Obviously doors swings both ways with Gruden.

Welcome onboard Wes and good luck.

Wes Phillips has made his own name

"If Wes Phillips ever gets that far in this profession, it will have been on merit.

“The way I look at it is one way or the other, everyone gets hired because they know somebody,” Wes said. “They have some sort of connection. And it’s not how you get there. It’s what you do once you get there. I do take pride in just doing my job the best I can. The fact that I’ve been able to stay here going on seven years is really a long time in the NFL. I’ve been fortunate.”

Well, if Haslett is staying there must be a good reason.  I will defer to Allen and Gruden on this one.  Maybe Shanahan and the cap penalty really did hamstring him?  I mean obviously the cap penalty, but maybe Shanny did interfere to a crippling point on the defensive game plan.    

I guess we'll find out next season.

Are we allowed to freak out over and complain about Haslett now that it's official.

I have zero hope for him. His history prior to Shanahan wasn't different than it was under Shanahan, so the whole excuse of Shanahan having some level of involvement in the defense isn't one for me. If we're even a middle of the pack defense next year than I'll be shocked. Horrible. Just horrible.

I'm actually finding this amusing.  Everyone's head is exploding (including headexplode's) and its pretty funny to me.

I'll be more concerned if more talent is brought into the defense than with who is calling the plays.

You can bring as much talent as you want if the coach doesn't call the right plays you're screwed.

His history prior to Shanahan wasn't different than it was under Shanahan, so the whole excuse of Shanahan having some level of involvement in the defense isn't one for me. If we're even a middle of the pack defense next year than I'll be shocked. Horrible. Just horrible.

so knowing what we know, why would they want him to stay if there are better options?  Why would they do this, go through all the inevitable criticism that will follow this decision...unless there is some validity to the claims that Shanny interfered to a crippling level with the defense.

it's not like there isn't somebody "better" out there.  

oh come on guys...can we please, please, PLEASE wait until a few games are played next season to actually blame snyder, bruce, or gruden for keeping haslett?? christ. its the offseason. NONE of us know how much shanahan is to blame for the defense this season. last season the defense was part of what helped us get into the playoffs in that 6 game winning streak. dont jump off a bridge just yet...i know i'm not.

Oh boy!

WHEN our defense finishes 27th overall in the NFL, and 30th in points allowed AGAIN, I wonder what Gruden will do. Give him more excuses and a contract extension?

Here's to hoping our offense can put up 35+ points per game next season.

oh come on guys...can we please, please, PLEASE wait until a few games are played next season to actually blame snyder, bruce, or gruden for keeping haslett?? christ. its the offseason. NONE of us know how much shanahan is to blame for the defense this season. last season the defense was part of what helped us get into the playoffs in that 6 game winning streak. dont jump off a bridge just yet...i know i'm not.

Shanahan must have followed Haslett to New Orleans, where his defenses sucked. Also, he must have snuck in and sabotaged his defenses in St. Louis, where they also sucked and were bottom 3rd in the NFL every year. As atrocious as our defense was this past year, Shanahan must have made every single playcall while haslett got drunk on the sidelines.

In case you hadn't noticed, our defense has been bad ever since he came here in 2010. It wasn't just last year. This guy is a turd. Christ, he wasn't even in the NFL until Shanahan plucked him out of what, the Arena league? CFL?

Oh boy!

WHEN our defense finishes 27th overall in the NFL, and 30th in points allowed AGAIN, I wonder what Gruden will do. Give him more excuses and a contract extension?

Here's to hoping our offense can put up 35+ points per game next season.

Shanahan must have followed Haslett to New Orleans, where his defenses sucked. Also, he must have snuck in and sabotaged his defenses in St. Louis, where they also sucked and were bottom 3rd in the NFL every year. As atrocious as our defense was this past year, Shanahan must have made every single playcall while haslett got drunk on the sidelines.

In case you hadn't noticed, our defense has been bad ever since he came here in 2010. It wasn't just last year. This guy is a turd. Christ, he wasn't even in the NFL until Shanahan plucked him out of what, the Arena league? CFL?

well they were good enough to help out during the 6 game winning streak. the defense played lights out those 6 games. fletchers 4 interceptions in 6 games...rob jacksons interception in week 17 to beat dallas. im giving him 1 more chance with this new head coach.

Archived