Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS NAME THREE ASSISTANT COACHES Team adds Wes Phillips, retains Foerster, Haslett in previous roles

TK

I give Haslett a clean slate.

I am not a Haslett fan nor a Haslett basher.

I view Haslett as an average coordinator. The type of guy that can produce a decent unit with good talent but cannot scheme to compensate for a lack of talent.

I imagine his relationship/history with Jay combined with the rumors of Shanahan meddling with the defense earn him the right to stay on and prove that his defense can not only improve but can help the team win games.

Allen's an idiot and now grudens an idiot.

Already can tell you guys were 6-10 next year or worse.

Can't win with this defense unless Peyton manning is qb.

What a joke.

You people giving haslett the benefit of the doubt have blinders on. Other teams are laughing at us.

It will be on to a new excuse next season, when Haslett's defense once again ranks in the bottom 1/3 of the league in virtually every meaningful statistic, just as it has basically every season he's ever coached. Some people will go to great lengths to delude themselves that things will get better, even with the main culprits still running the show. I like Jay Gruden, but he is off to an incredibly rocky start in terms of having so many holdovers from an awful coaching staff foisted upon him, all while denying they were predetermined to be staying, promoted etc… This has not been a legitimate and well designed process, and I blame Bruce Allen (whom I like) for that. 

I'm going to shelve ****ing about it, because now that all the hirings have happened exactly as us skeptics expected them too, it is what it is and we have to hope for the best. However, my expectations are lowered, my enthusiasm has been dampened, and I strongly suspect that Jay Gruden is going to find himself on a hot seat very fast next year, when Haslett's defense once again puts us in an enormous hole like he did last year when the defense was surrendering 500 yards and 30+ a game (maybe he can come on strong in the last few games against the dregs of football trying out rookies for next year to pad his stats again to make Jay feel better). 

Done venting, let's hope FA and the draft go better than this coaching staff assembly, that Jay can work wonders with the offense, and that Haslett can find some magic for the first time in his life as a DC. 

To come to Bruce's defense, he played things pretty PC but having a "fair" coaching search. This was mostly due to NFL regulations, most notably the Rooney rule, and also perception reasons. If Bruce had all of these names lined up and orchestrated this before hand it really isn't an issue if it all works out in the end. Haslett throws a wrench in everything going 100% smoothly because he is hated around here, for good reason. However, I would say the rest of the staff is very solid. I like what we have in our special teams coordinator. I like Jay installing his offense and grooming McVay. I like moving personell decisions strictly to the front office and out of the coaches hands. Let's call it as it is, Bruce is not going to make these Roster decisions. 

Yes Bruce brought in all of "his guys". This seems like very classic Cronyism. The people that were brought in all can hold their own in terms of merit, however. I expect all those "leaks" to stop. These guys all know eachother and hopefully they can build something together than bring back some hope to this franchise. Lucky for them, they don't have to do much in order to start changing perceptions in this town.

Haslett is the wild card in all of this. I hope they have a plan for him.

Instead of hoping we can score 35+ a game, we should actually hope we DON'T score as much.  See, the Redskins have done this thing for at least 2 years straight - getting big leads, then allowing the opponent to come roaring back.  I believe 12 of the 13 wins over the last 2 years have been by a touchdown or less, and after trailing or tied in the second half.

Go up 21-3?  Loss.

Down 14-13 at the half?  Win, maybe.

That is what history is showing of this defense.  My best explanation is that Has can't scheme/adjust to a team that is OBVIOUSLY GOING TO PASS.  Our defenses only hope has been that teams decide to run the ball sometimes.  It's already been too many years, too many players, too many variations of cap space, blah blah blah.  This defense has let us down, torn our hearts out, had us yawning, etc.  I have no reason to get excited.  

“I wanted someone with experience,” Gruden said. “I have Raheem also, and I know obviously Jim has great experience, not just the coaching part, but setting up schedules and practice schedules and dealing with players. And just to have another guy to bounce ideas off of. If I have a screwed-up idea, I know he’ll tell me this is not going to work. I need people like that, who will be loyal and work their tail off and come up with good ideas.”

Basically he's telling us that he will rely on Haslett to get ideas and to prevent himself from screwing things up, looks like Haslett will be the true HC here ;) .

I wished he would have put skills, discipline, player development among the most important qualities a DC should have.

I'm not happy about Haz sticking around either when there were other better options out there. But considering the majority of the staff is new, and the news about Shanny having some control over defense, I'm willing to sit back and watch him for one more season. Not that he's earned it or anything, but I'm willing to see what he can do without the HC meddling.

Retaining Haslett might not be popular move with many, but after reading his reason for it I'm okay with it.  It could have been easy for Gruden to eighty-six Haslett but he seemed to break it all down and figured out what went wrong.  I think Gruden is going to be one hell of a head coach. 

“It was a lot of issues, and schematically it wasn’t the issue,” Gruden said. “It was special teams and depth issues. But to see them compete on a weekly basis ... They played well. I know a lot of offensive coaches that have a lot of respect for what coach Haslett brings, and how difficult it is to go against them. I’m one of those guys.” 

I see we are adhering to the 'Danny Smith no, the grass is not always greener' thinking on this one.

If Haslett is tough to game plan for, Gruden would know better than us. But I tend to think he is just saying that to help quell the firestorm over his retention, since he lit up Haz like a christmas tree on that first play from scrimmage. Maybe Haslett's big downfall is being predictable and if Gruden addresses that our D will be serviceable for 2014

We are screwed. I was afraid this was going to happen, and now it is official. We are a lock for a top 5 pick next year and last place in the division. I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother watching next season. Wade Phillips is out there, DAMMIT! And we are still stuck with this turd. We still have the Albatross hanging around our necks it seems, and we seem to have some folks that are ok with it. I'm kinda dumbfounded. Maybe people are simply not aware at how bad Haslett is? Taking a perennial top five defense in Pittsburg and making it average? Horrible defenses in ever single other stop he has made, including this one? Guys, what we have seen was not a BAD Haslett defense, it was an AVERAGE Haslett defense. And people think it might actually get better? It won't. We're screwed. :blink:

I am giving a pass to Haslett. I want to see what he does with talent. I look at the second half of last year of 2012 as a great coaching job. 2013 was a drama filled implosion on both sides of the ball. FA and the draft will tell me how the season is going to be. Can they fill the holes and add depth will be question. Offense is close with some additions. Defense is the project and depth fixes special teams. John Mara is the antichrist for what he did the last two years to this franchise.

Haslett was not hard for Gruden to game plan against.

Gruden's Bengals scored 38 points and put up 478 yards against Haslett in 2012.

That was a career high for Gruden, in terms of combined yards and points.  In other words, Gruden had 1 career game with more yards and 4 career games with more points, but never a game with more points and more yards.

Stats don't lie.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/HaslJi0.htm.

In his last seven years as a DC (St. Louis and Washington), Haz have finished, on average, 23rd in defensive ranking and 26th in points given up.

The only logical conclusion I can come up with retaining Haslett is that Snyder is paying too much money out to coaches not on the staff.

This franchise never ceases to amaze me. When you finish 3-13 after a division title, you need to change the culture in the locker room and Haslett should have been sent packing with Shanahan.

WHY? Why was Haslett retained? Because he is well respected for his complex schemes? The same schemes that confuse his own players? He hasn't proven that he is deserving of another shot. If Jay Gruden is confused by his defensive schemes then he will be even more confused when he sees it in practice. It will go something like this:

Jay Gruden: "Hey Jim, explain how playing your CB's 10 yards off the line of scrimmage disrupts the other teams timing?"

Jim Haslett: "Jay it isn't meant to do that. My defense is to confuse my own players and the other OC's in the league."

Jay Gruden: "Jim, we need better tackling, fewer mistakes, and better coaching."

Jim Haslett: "Jay, Come on! Give me a break here. I haven't had to work that hard since I was with the Steelers."

Jay Gruden: "Jim, you mean you weren't the reason why the Steelers had such a good defense?"

Jim Haslett: "JAY SSHHSHHHH! Not so loud. I have a reputation to uphold. Remember I am well respected around the league."

Jay Gruden: "Jim, So are you telling me that everyone knows what defensive plays you are calling?"

Jim Haslett: "YEAH! Man I thought I was done for sure when Jeff Fisher exposed me a few years back" I run a defense that even a Pop Warner team could decipher."

Jay Gruden: Man! That is why I was so confused."

Jim Haslett: "Exactly. Now you can see why I am so respect around the league?"

Jay Gruden: "This better work."

Jim Haslett: "One thing I can guarantee is that someone will be confused."

Not turning the ball over like it's your job and giving the opposition great field position with awful special teams play is a good start to a better defense, regardless of who's the DC. Haslett knows defense and has forgotton more football than most all of us know. There's a new regime and they chose to keep the man. Let's trust that they know what they're doing and give them a chance. I believe Haslett can run a capable defense and if our O can score points-- which we all expect will be the case--, doesn't turn the ball over and our special teams is vastly improved-- which we all expect will be the case, that's all we'll need to get to where we need to be.

By the way, when everyone on this board says how hated Haslett is, has anyone actually asked the players how they feel about him? Because if the feeling towards him in the locker room is what it is on this board, I'm quite sure he would be gone for that reason alone.

WHY? Why was Haslett retained? Because he is well respected for his complex schemes? The same schemes that confuse his own players? He hasn't proven that he is deserving of another shot. If Jay Gruden is confused by his defensive schemes then he will be even more confused when he sees it in practice. It will go something like this:

Jay Gruden: "Hey Jim, explain how playing your CB's 10 yards off the line of scrimmage disrupts the other teams timing?"

Here's actually how the convo went.

Haz: Jay, remember we used to work together in the Arena league.

Jay: Yeah.

Haz: cool.

This is not encouraging news. I foolishly thought there would a change around here on the defensive side of the ball with so many good options out there. Nope. Expect more of the same, and hope we can score close to 40 points a game. Here's to hoping we have one of the greatest offenses in NFL history!

We are screwed. I was afraid this was going to happen, and now it is official. We are a lock for a top 5 pick next year and last place in the division. I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother watching next season. Wade Phillips is out there, DAMMIT! And we are still stuck with this turd. We still have the Albatross hanging around our necks it seems, and we seem to have some folks that are ok with it. I'm kinda dumbfounded. Maybe people are simply not aware at how bad Haslett is? Taking a perennial top five defense in Pittsburg and making it average? Horrible defenses in ever single other stop he has made, including this one? Guys, what we have seen was not a BAD Haslett defense, it was an AVERAGE Haslett defense. And people think it might actually get better? It won't. We're screwed. :blink:

I'm not as pessimistic as you are for next year, but I love your sig.

That is all.

Not turning the ball over like it's your job and giving the opposition great field position with awful special teams play is a good start to a better defense, regardless of who's the DC. Haslett knows defense and has forgotton more football than most all of us know.

That might be the problem. Maybe he's forgotten too much.

Archived