Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: REDSKINS NAME THREE ASSISTANT COACHES Team adds Wes Phillips, retains Foerster, Haslett in previous roles

TK

I don't know squat about what's going on behind the front office scene but in my business, technical support, operations and sales all have to be operating in concert for success. The VP's and Directors only have a small part in driving the goals, it's the managers and "worker bees" that have to execute and make the company successful.

I'm mentioning this because so far, it appears Skins are assembling really good "managers", at least from what I've read about them all. They plug in some key players, some skill position talent and we are likely to have a successful season.

I'm going to wait and see on the Haslett thing but actually pretty excited about how things are shaping up.

well they were good enough to help out during the 6 game winning streak. the defense played lights out those 6 games. fletchers 4 interceptions in 6 games...rob jacksons interception in week 17 to beat dallas. im giving him 1 more chance with this new head coach.

During the 7 game win streak, the defense gave up an average of 21 PPG and 351 YPG, while the offense scored an average of 30 PPG. I guess for Haslett, allowing 21 PPG and 351 YPG is considered "lights out", but we only won 7 in a row because our offense was spot on and winning games for us.

“I wasn’t trying to poach anyone off of their staff,” Gruden said. “If Coach Zimmer had not gotten a head coaching job and [Guenther] was going to stay there as the linebackers coach, I was going to try to get him. Fortunately it worked out for everybody.”

Did it, Jay, did it work out for everyone?  Methinksnot.  Way to settle for crap.

so knowing what we know, why would they want him to stay if there are better options?  Why would they do this, go through all the inevitable criticism that will follow this decision...unless there is some validity to the claims that Shanny interfered to a crippling level with the defense.

it's not like there isn't somebody "better" out there.

1. Money

2. Friendship / Ties / Comfort

Throw those two into the mix and a lot of rationalization about "giving him a chance" can start creeping up and sounding legitimate when in reality it's not...unless Shanahan was magically in Haslett's head during his stops in St. Louis and New Orleans.

It's amazing to me watching this board that for years you have people suggesting Kyle Shanahan, a guy who had top 5 offenses in yards and a top 10 offense in points, was brought on simply due to Nepotism...but you now have people trying to convince us that Hazlett must be getting kept for football reasons

Shocked to see Jim Haslett still has a job as defensive coordinator.

Hard to sell fans on a new start when retaining the coach of one of the NFL's worst defenses over the last 4 years.

Wade Phillips would have been a great hire as DC based on his results and experience in the NFC East.

Just a few stats to ponder ---

In 17 seasons as a HC or defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has had only 3 of his defenses be in the top 10 for fewest yards allowed or fewest points given up.

In contrast Wade Phillips has led 18 defenses to top 10 results between those two categories.

Even more amazing is Wade has led his defenses to top 10 finishes in fewest yards allowed in 7 of the past 8 seasons!!!

Also finished in the top 10 in fewest points allowed 4 times during the past 8 seasons.

Jim Haslett of course has zero top 10 finishes in fewest yards of points allowed over that same time span.

Jim Haslett has had poor defensive teams throughout his entire career.  No matter the team, system, head coach, players one thing has remained constant and that is Jim Haslett being unable to consistently field anything better than mediocre or downright dreadful defensive units.

Not a good sign to see him still in charge and it's strike one for Jay Gruden as on the surface he appeared to keep Haslett because of Haslett hiring him previously and their close bond.

Hard to give any valid reasons why Gruden kept Haslett because my any statistical measure it makes zero sense...

oh come on guys...can we please, please, PLEASE wait until a few games are played next season to actually blame snyder, bruce, or gruden for keeping haslett?? christ. its the offseason. NONE of us know how much shanahan is to blame for the defense this season. last season the defense was part of what helped us get into the playoffs in that 6 game winning streak. dont jump off a bridge just yet...i know i'm not.

I know Shanahan's involvement didn't substantially change the overall performance of Haslett's defense ask it relates to Haslett's historical trends.

Look at Haslett's last 6 years without Shanahan's involvement and look at Haslett's last 4 years with Shanahan's involvement...there isn't much different. Yet we're to believe that it was all Shanahan's meddling that's to blame?

well they were good enough to help out during the 6 game winning streak. the defense played lights out those 6 games. fletchers 4 interceptions in 6 games...rob jacksons interception in week 17 to beat dallas. im giving him 1 more chance with this new head coach.

So I'm trying to figure out your thought process here?

Everything good the defense did, that was Haslett's fault? Everything bad the defense did, let's blame it on Shanahan?

Poor Haslett... just another coach "forcing him" to run that 3-4 he doesn't like running. Guy just can't catch a break. :P

Ok, wonderful. How much cap space do we have this offseason? According to JamesMadisonSkins who does some awesome work with the cap stuff in the FA thread, about $42 mill to operate with considering players let go.

So clearly Jay's plan is to use pretty much all of it on defensive players as well as the majority of draft picks? Right? Right!??!  

Because for this to make any logical sense while overlooking guys like Wade out there as well as other defensive coordinators who have significantly better track records, it'd have to be because we're going to surround Has with some of the most amazing players to ever grace the football field so nothing he could possibly call, scheme, or game plan in his incredibly predictable way would matter anyway, right?    

And that had to be the funniest press release ever. I have to admit. They should've wrote the Haslett part in smaller font size for the effect they were clearly going for there, lol. 

I am intrigued by this offensive coaching staff, though. Lot of potential there. God willing it actually comes to fruition. 

But, this is the hardest it's ever been for me to get excited. 

I know Shanahan's involvement didn't substantially change the overall performance of Haslett's defense ask it relates to Haslett's historical trends.

Look at Haslett's last 6 years without Shanahan's involvement and look at Haslett's last 4 years with Shanahan's involvement...there isn't much different. Yet we're to believe that it was all Shanahan's meddling that's to blame?

So I'm trying to figure out your thought process here?

Everything good the defense did, that was Haslett's fault? Everything bad the defense did, let's blame it on Shanahan?

hmm...i see the mistake there...nevermind.

Get Haslett some more talent and lets see what he can do, we havent done much to help him in the last few years.

What?

2010: They got him Perry Riley his first year. Considering the quantity and quality of picks that draft, that's pretty good. Perry was the second player taken by the Skins.

2011: 1st and 2nd round picks go to defense. Kerrigan and Jenkins. Jenkins is a bust, but you can't say they didn't try by throwing a very high round pick at the defense. Chris Nield could still be decent.

2012: Missing some picks for obvious reasons. Still, they got Robinson (Keenan) and Crawford. Robinson is still a question mark, but Crawford was good before his injury.

2013: First pick (2nd) was a corner. 3rd (4th round) was a safety.

Not thrilled about Foerster.  Think Russ Grimm should've been looked at.  Also nothing new on Earnest Byner, I'm getting worried it was a false leak.  Hiring Byner is only way I'll be happy after firing of Bobby Turner.  Gues we still need QB, RB and WR coaches.  Byner is my RB choice, now that McCardell is with UMD, I have no opinion about the other 2 positions

Heard Ike Hillard may be returning as receiver coach according to KFFL, would've rather had McCardell.

Raheem Morris and Haslett still here is embarrassing.  I didn't like the Jay Gruden hire at all either.  I was hoping for O'Brien, Rex Ryan, Lovie Smith, or Franklin.  I realize after everyone got hired on there teams (besides Rex, was hoping he got canned) they were pretty set where they were going with the backstories and we had no chance of any.  I can lump Jay in here too, but Bruce just wanted to look good interviewing a bunch of candidates.  

However I come to terms this is set in stone for next season so lets support it.  Here nothing but good things about Jay and I think he a Bob will work well together.  We have some money this year which is exciting, and an entire draft after 1st round.  I think this money will go toward defense and I do see improvement. It sounds like Mike was a real problem in this organization with his arrogant my way or the highway type attitude.  I'm excited for this year I'm not going to lie.  We are all use to the whole excitement of a new coaching staff so maybe that's it but this is different.  We never had a franchise QB on the roster when we were going full extermination of coaching staff.  I'm rooting for Haslett and Morris this year, we may be surprised more then we know.  I want them to punch Redskins fans in the face including mine next year.  If I see improvement overall as a team, I'm happy. HTTR

What?

2010: They got him Perry Riley his first year. Considering the quantity and quality of picks that draft, that's pretty good. Perry was the second player taken by the Skins.

2011: 1st and 2nd round picks go to defense. Kerrigan and Jenkins. Jenkins is a bust, but you can't say they didn't try by throwing a very high round pick at the defense. Chris Nield could still be decent.

2012: Missing some picks for obvious reasons. Still, they got Robinson (Keenan) and Crawford. Robinson is still a question mark, but Crawford was good before his injury.

2013: First pick (2nd) was a corner. 3rd (4th round) was a safety.

Don't forget the trade to get Carriker (who he wanted), bringing in Atogwe in 2010 when the FA pool was severely restricted, and almost the entire 2011 FA class (Wilson, Bowen, Cofield). The resources spent aren't one-sided at all until you include the amount we spent on the QB position overall... then it might seem unfair. I'd disagree with that, though, and I know the majority of ES members pre-Shanahan turned villain would agree. The whole idea of "if you don't have a QB you do what you can to get one, even if you have to over spend" thing that was an ES motto is now something to attack him with and claim too much was spent on offense.     

oh come on guys...can we please, please, PLEASE wait until a few games are played next season to actually blame snyder, bruce, or gruden for keeping haslett?? christ. its the offseason. NONE of us know how much shanahan is to blame for the defense this season. last season the defense was part of what helped us get into the playoffs in that 6 game winning streak. dont jump off a bridge just yet...i know i'm not.

I agree with you Cooleyfan. Who knows how much of a role Shanahan had in that defense last year. Also with more talent we should improve. I know we've been saying it for awhile now, but I am willing to see this one out for one more year. Give Haz a chance with a new staff.

So why does Wes Phillips make this lateral move? Strange

$$$$$

So, I have two questions...Does that mean Gruden was lying to us?  And does that mean the coordinators were already picked before he got here?  I mean, it was reported the day he was hired that he was going to promote McVay to OC and keep Haslett as DC by an "unnamed" source.  Yet Gruden acted at his press conference like that was all a surprise to him and he hadnt even begun to evaluate anyone.  Then, McVay gets named OC, and Haslett DC.  So it really smells as if they already knew who were going to be the guys, and then tried to pretend they didnt and drag it out to fool the fans, to make them think it was a process.

Smells bad and fishy, kind of like the defense :-/  Why fire some of the staff, and not none of them, if Gruden was supposed to be allowed to evaluate them all and chose?  Man I hope Im wrong, but this year looks depressing...

Haslett is the worst news ever.  This guy should have been fired 3 years ago.  The good news is...i have ZERO expectations for this team...this is not an overreaction, it's just going by what I've seen from this loser last 4 years.  I've watched every game (some twice) and 90% of them, our defense has been awful.  Unreal.

Haslett, 58, will serve as defensive coordinator for his fifth season ...

and our great national nightmare rolls on...

/sigh

Hopefully he'll be scared straight by this and he'll get these dudes fired up... or at the very least tackling. Tackling is good... right?

(i think we're doomed....doooooomed...)

Archived