Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Snyder still struggles to find formula for success

hail2skins

Snyder has done nothing but sit in his office but play PaperBall Basketball the past 4 years

Only a fool would believe that.

After all this time and people think that Snyder is as clean as the Pope. I hate the WaPo and won't ever read an article they publish but the naïveté shown by this board in regards to Snyder ridiculous.

Why can't people accept that Shanny sucked AND Snyder still sucks?

Eventually? It's already happened, friend.

Plenty of people don't like Snyder; but we haven't reached the  point yet where a noticeable amount of fans could care less if this teams wins anymore.  When this team is finally winning someone but noone is there to really care.

Say there's a playoff game:  Boys @ Skins and Snyder can't sell out the game.  We haven't reached that point.

Boy, how can a potential coach want to work for Snyder. He picks the splash guy signs him to an overbloated contract and when the player busts then head coach gets the blame?? McNabb was one of his splash signings not Shanahan's. Whoever our new HC is I hope he gets final say on player personal written in his contract.

There's only one problem with this theory.  It's stupid.  It's the most stupid theory I've ever heard (credit to Neil Simon and Murder by Death)

Do you honestly think that Snyder handed Shanahan the keys to the kingdom, said that Mike would have player control, full charge of personell and all decisions and then before preseason game one of his first season strongarmed him into taking a QB taht Shanahan didn't want.  There's just no way in heck that's even possible.  It's ridiculous.  The shine was still on the apple.  This was a Shanahan move.  Dan loved Shanahan at this point and wasn't going to risk breaking the contract before they ever played a game.

"“The general manager needs to prevent the owner from hiring someone who’s not qualified. And that’s why Vinny is no longer here, to be truthful with you,” Snyder said."

Funny he blamed his favorite yes man for the zornesque experience, talking about meddling and total unaccountability ! he just pissed on the fans shoes and told them it was raining here.

"Many relationships with other NFL teams are strained, they say, and he has insulated himself from pushback and dissenting opinions."

I'm just wondering how he is going to make up for this and eventually how long will it take ?

“He wants to win like nobody I’ve ever known.“He’s just still learning how to do it.”

I see Mike Shanahan is leaking info from his Denver mansion.

It's never going to stop. Just wait until the season starts. There's gonna be a BS report every week.

Unfortunately you might be right here.

Shanahan wanted McNabb the same way he wanted Jamaal Brown. He made mistakes and now he has to live with them.

Unfortunately he doesn't have to live with ****. He got paid $7mil to walk away from the mess he created; all while convincing the public and media that it's all Snyder and RG3's fault. 

I have to say, when I saw the headline and first few comments, I almost didn't read the article since  it seems WAPO never misses a chance to take a cheap shot at the Skins and especially DS. But a few comments said it was a good and fair read so I did read the article. And IMO they were right. It's pretty fair. Not just a long line of Snyder bashing that I come to expect from WAPO.

Kudo's to them for what appears to be a pretty unbiased accounting of DS time as the owner of the Washington Redskins. I really see this hiring as the best opportunity for him to show he as learned how to be an owner.

HTTR!

Every sentence of this paragraph had me laughing. Re read it please and don't tell me how ridiculous this sounds. Shanny had FULL control people. Snyder has done nothing but sit in his office but play PaperBall Basketball the past 4 years

19 former Redskins staff including coaching staff have been quoted in this article. Snyder has not been playing Paperball basketball the past 4 years. Please reread the article.

Big splashes, little results

1. While Shanahan thanked the owner in his farewell news conference last week, those close to the situation said the coaching staff felt there were times Snyder’s interest in bringing in high-profile players, and the marketing value they bring, impacted the product Shanahan was able to put on the field. The biggest example was the acquisition of quarterback Donovan McNabb in 2010. Shanahan hoped to acquire Marc Bulger, then the St. Louis Rams quarterback, according to two people familiar with the situation, but Snyder pushed hard for the higher profile and more marketable McNabb. The owner cut short a family vacation in the Turks and Caicos Islands to meet his new quarterback.

2. One constant theme of Snyder’s ownership from the beginning has been complaints from staff about the owner’s involvement with players and the relationships he cultivates with them. Even as he ceded a significant amount of authority to Shanahan these past four years, Snyder, like many NFL owners, will never be entirely absent from big decisions, others warn.

“New coaches come in excited because they think they have the support of an owner who wants to win. But they soon find out Snyder is all about making a big splash,” one former assistant coach said.

3. Two of his more celebrated coaching hires were Shanahan and Schottenheimer. Both were given control of team personnel, something Snyder is said to have regretted in the case of Schottenheimer, who was fired after just one season.

“At the end of the year, Dan told me he wasn’t having any fun. He wanted control back,” one former employee said. “That, I think, was at the heart of the thing. It’s like working for a plumbing company and always looking over your shoulder and hearing, ‘Don’t do that with the elbow joint.’ Unless you’re a plumber, don’t tell the plumber how to do his job.”

4. Prior to Shanahan, Snyder played a much more active role in the draft process, even traveling at times with his personnel officials to scout college players. In 2007, he had his heart set on drafting quarterback Brady Quinn out of Notre Dame. “It took a week or so to convince him that we shouldn’t do that,” one former staffer said. “Then he wanted Teddy Ginn,” an Ohio State wide receiver. Quinn has played for five teams in seven seasons, while Ginn has started just five games in the past four years.

This is why if I'm a coach coming here and based off the history of this organization for the last 12 years the HC needs to have final say over personnel or at the least certain aspects of the personnel. Bruce and Morocco scout the players, sign the players, select/ hire/ fire the HC and get final say on player contracts. The HC has final say on the draft and FA of the players scouted by BA. The new HC will need some sort of control over personnel otherwise he's setting himself up for failure. I'm sure a lot of the candidates we are interviewing are keeping that in mind. Yes, MS had final say on personnel and had some good picks- RGIII, Morris, Trent Williams, Reed, Riley Jr, Kerrigan, Garçon, Amerson. Snyder (Mr. Splash Marketing) picks include- McNabb, Brady Quinn, Ted Ginn, D. Hall, Fat Albert, Jason Taylor. With all the control MS had I'll assume he caved in to Dan when it came to personel and failed to draw the line when his relationship became to close to the players.

So many here are too young to remember the Squire. The idiot in charge now, claims to love he team, but does everything 180 degrees different than JCK. There is no culture of success at RP, and the Wapo just likes pointing it out. I know an assistant accountant with the Ravens who got a $32000 Super Bowl ring, and Danny gives out Apples. And we fans come here and debate why the Skins are 3-13. Danny is all about getting your money, nothing else.

Yeah, WaPo is such a bad rag. I mean, they literally only have journalists whose careers blossom into huge successes, in almost every section of the newspaper.

Yeah, we get it, they print stuff you don't want to hear, like this latest article on Snyder. Doesn't mean it isn't vetted and true.

There's only one problem with this theory. It's stupid. It's the most stupid theory I've ever heard (credit to Neil Simon and Murder by Death)

Do you honestly think that Snyder handed Shanahan the keys to the kingdom, said that Mike would have player control, full charge of personell and all decisions and then before preseason game one of his first season strongarmed him into taking a QB taht Shanahan didn't want. There's just no way in heck that's even possible. It's ridiculous. The shine was still on the apple. This was a Shanahan move. Dan loved Shanahan at this point and wasn't going to risk breaking the contract before they ever played a game.

Not a theory. Just going by what the article says with its sources. In the article it says Snyder pushed hard for McNabb and MS wanted The St Louis QB. How Snyder was able convince Mike to grab McNabb instead is unknown but the WaPo quoted sources that mike wanted Bulger. Hard to believe but this story is credible especially with the quotes and sources.

Not a theory. Just going by what the article says with its sources. In the article it says Snyder pushed hard for McNabb and MS wanted The St Louis QB. How Snyder was able convince Mike to grab McNabb instead is unknown but the WaPo quoted sources that mike wanted Bulger. Hard to believe but this story is credible especially with the quotes and sources.

Haha seriously? You believe anything that has "sources?" No wonder Mike and his media pals have been so good at deflecting blame. Don't buy his damage control BS. This mess was 100% his fault and he's trying desperately to spread misinformation that will salvage his reputation and Kyle's. He's got HOF consideration to consider, and Kyle has his future career.

Plenty of people don't like Snyder; but we haven't reached the  point yet where a noticeable amount of fans could care less if this teams wins anymore.  When this team is finally winning someone but noone is there to really care.

Say there's a playoff game:  Boys @ Skins and Snyder can't sell out the game.  We haven't reached that point.

The Redskins are more then one owner. They are cherished in our hearts. No matter who coaches the team or what the record is. The redskins are gonna pack the stadium and fans are going to get excited. Dan Snyder didnt ruin this team. He has done everything that has been asked of him. Its negative remarks like yours that remind me of the Washington post writers. Do you work for the post?

Ditto - Snyder could do everything the fans wanted him to (and has, frankly, after giving up control almost completely), and the Post would still rip him apart for things that happened 14 years ago.  F'em.  I even stopped reading the Post Sports section online because I found their reporting has really become agenda-driven drivel. 

14 years ago?  WTF are you talking about?  Was the decision to hire Jim Zorn, after signing the OC first, 14 years ago?  Daniel Snyder has owned the team for 15 years and has had his fingerprints on all the personnel moves for 10 of them.  And when he wasn't offering 2 first round picks for Chad Ocho Cinco , or hiring obviously unqualfied head coaches, he was giving total control to the head coach on 3 different occasions with disasterous reaults with 2 of them and the rug pulled out from under the 3rd before he had a chance. 

That article was not unfair bashing, it is telling a story that everyone knows very well by now.  He has single handidtly turned one of the most respected franchises in the league into the one most laughed at.  And that, like every organization, starts at the top.

Haha seriously? You believe anything that has "sources?" No wonder Mike and his media pals have been so good at deflecting blame. Don't buy his damage control BS. This mess was 100% his fault and he's trying desperately to spread misinformation that will salvage his reputation and Kyle's. He's got HOF consideration to consider, and Kyle has his future career.

While there no love lost between WaPo and Snyder, WaPo is a mainstream credible news organization. I also don't believe for one second that Snyder is totally innocent in all of this.

While there no love lost between WaPo and Snyder, WaPo is a mainstream credible news organization. I also don't believe for one second that Snyder is totally innocent in all of this.

I trust Cooley 1000x more than anyone at the Post (who just regurgitates whatever Shanny feeds them). He said last week that Shanahan never had a football discussion with Snyder his entire 4 years here. That has been backed up by numerous other people that cover the Skins. This was 100% Shanahan.

It's a fair article... but I don't need to read a "greatest hits" of Dan's missteps every few years when there is a bad season.

Come up with something new, WaPo.

I had the same feeling reading it--it's all old hat. We've all heard these stories before. How about what Snyder has changed? We know he was an asshole to people 10 years ago. How big of an asshole is he still? Does what he did at Snyder communications really matter anymore?

At least the Post is staying green...they apparently recycle their content too!

Archived