Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Snyder still struggles to find formula for success

hail2skins

What has he done lately to negatively impact the team? Other than the folly that was the decision to hand over the keys to Shamahan.

What has he done lately?  What the **** does that even mean?   Let's start with the habitual jocksniffing with Griffin, the hostile work place that his employees apparently feel exists (not the first time I've heard this btw) and the fact that he's still front and center in EVERY decision this team makes.  Then add in the ridiculous lawsuit against McKenna and the public perception of this team around the league.  

Then I'll ask the question: what has has he done positively to affect the team?

Of course Shanahan gets the majority of the blame for the past four years, but he was always fighting with one arm tied behind his back having to clean up the mistakes that this turd of an owner and his incompetent lackey had committed beforehand.

I trust Cooley 1000x more than anyone at the Post (who just regurgitates whatever Shanny feeds them). He said last week that Shanahan never had a football discussion with Snyder his entire 4 years here. That has been backed up by numerous other people that cover the Skins. This was 100% Shanahan.

I don't know about that. Despite their relationship WaPo has credible sources in the FO. I don't think coaches discuss player personell decisions in front of players. Not saying Cooley is being untruthful. When MS, DS, and BA went to Baylor to scout RGIII that wasn't a football discussion? What about the Haynesworth debacle? DS had to sign off on the remaining signing bonus Albert was due after his first year. This had to be discussed with Dan on some level as he writes the checks. Like I stated earlier MS is at fault for some of the mess were in but he's not 100% at fault. The next coach will need to have additional powers over personel if he wants field a successful team. I could see the new HC sharing personel decisions but ultimately the final decision should belong to the HC after all it's his neck on the line and he's judged by his record and his record will reflect on decisions that were made with personal.

The article certainly makes it unclear how long its been since you've had the "hostile" environment at Redskins Park cited.  It also seems that Snyder apparently removing himself from the interview process for the next coach is a refreshing progression of self-awareness that he needs to back away more and let his staff do their jobs.  For all the skepticism about Bruce Allen's lack of player personnel experience, its hard to picture a scenario in the near future where fans are bringing in signs (when Snyder would let them) lampooning Bruce they way they did Vinny in 2009.

Having said that, having stories come out about a litigation-happy PR guy in Tony Wyllie threatening to sue 106.7 over someone satirizing Larry Michael does not help the perception of this organization.  It makes you wonder if people still tend to walk on eggshells at Ashburn.......I really hope that's a thing of the past.

This is what was said about the McNabb situation back in Dec 2010

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/18/AR2010121802807_2.html?sid=ST2010121802905

Many in the organization wanted McNabb, though Kyle Shanahan was not among them. The offensive coordinator was among those who felt a quarterback like Marc Bulger would be a good fill-in choice until the Redskins could draft and develop a young quarterback. Coaches evaluated film of McNabb and noticed flaws in McNabb's performance - poor reads, inexplicably poor throws, stretches where he relied on freelancing too much - that they hoped to iron out during training camp. It didn't happen.

In the article in the OP, they say Snyder wanted McNabb and Mike wanted Bulger.

In 2010, Mike benched McNabb for the final drive against the Lions in Week 8.  He then benched him for the season in Week 15.  The next season McNabb was traded.

15 years, and one common denominator.  Front office people, employees, coaches, and staff have come and gone.  Just one person has been here from day one.

I don't come on here and say much, but I not only live in the area, and have relatives that live near Redskins Park, but I have known people that work for the Redskins either directly or indirectly.  Heck, my neighbor works for the NFLPA and has some stories.

All that said, I am on a wait and see approach this off season.  So far, I like what BA has done.  I like his approach, his taking charge and stating he will be making the decisions.  Just have to wait and see if that actually continues into the future.  I just keep waiting for a report that the owner is flying out to meet this person of that person.  Time will tell.

All the hate for DS is understandable, but not sure it holds much water anymore.  The one thing DS has done is give his head coaches EVERY possible thing they want.  You want L Coles (Spurrier HC)? Here you go.  You want Haynesworth (to Vinny)? Here you go.  You want a practice bubble?  Here is my Checkbook.  You want to move training camp?  Here you go.  You want (insert anything here)? And I will go get it for you!!!  It seems he will open up his checkbook and spend as much money as he thinks the Head Coach needs to get EXACTLY what he needs.

It is funny, we here all this about his meddling and when our former coaches (not just the Head Coaches either) leave, they tell you they got EVERYTHING they asked for and were fully supported by the owner.  It just hasn't worked out the way WE ALL want.  If all this BS is true, why do we have Gregg Williams interested in coming back?  Why is Danny Smith interested in coming back?  I am sure you could find many former coaches who would come back and work for an owner who gave them EVERYTHING!

Yes, WaPo sports writers become successful, guess what, HATE BREEDS?  If all I do is find all the negative BS (some rumors, some facts to be sure) then I will be successful.  Why?  Because people like reading negative BS.  To be sure, if I can't find a story, I can interview the janitor and write about rumors he heard then call him my "anonymous source" An writer for a HS newspaper could be a successful writer covering the Redskins, not that hard to find something negative.  If there is nothing negative to write about, just regurgitate some previous stories about the owner.

I do not believe for a second that Dan Snyder is without fail, no way possible.  However, he is not the one coaching the players, he is not the one calling the plays on game day, he is not the one scouting college players (he may visit with staff, doesn't mean he scouted them), he may be involved more than some but at the end of the day, he is doing exactly what most of us here would do if we owned the team.  Hell, most of us already believe we are smarter than Dan Snyder and already believe we are smarter than Bruce Allen (at least that is what I read out of most threads).

Redskins Fan First and Foremost...Always HAIL!!!

The next coach will need to have additional powers over personel if he wants field a successful team. I could see the new HC sharing personel decisions but ultimately the final decision should belong to the HC after all it's his neck on the line and he's judged by his record and his record will reflect on decisions that were made with personal.

No, I like that BA with the assistance of Brown and Campbell will be making the personnel acquisition decisions.  Who makes the team, who plays, who starts, etc. is the HC.  Let the "GM" get the players.

I just hope that BA is will simply be rubber stamping Brown and Campbell choices and just making the overall global decisions.

All the hate for DS is understandable, but not sure it holds much water anymore.  The one thing DS has done is give his head coaches EVERY possible thing they want.  You want L Coles (Spurrier HC)? Here you go.  You want Haynesworth (to Vinny)? Here you go.  You want a practice bubble?  Here is my Checkbook.  You want to move training camp?  Here you go.  You want (insert anything here)? And I will go get it for you!!!  It seems he will open up his checkbook and spend as much money as he thinks the Head Coach needs to get EXACTLY what he needs.

That's why he is terrible LOL.  That isn't a good thing.

Hire a GM please.  Stop the nonsense.

"Yes, MS had final say on personnel and had some good picks- RGIII, Morris, Trent Williams, Reed, Riley Jr, Kerrigan, Garçon, Amerson. Snyder (Mr. Splash Marketing) picks include- McNabb, Brady Quinn, Ted Ginn, D. Hall, Fat Albert, Jason Taylor. With all the control MS had I'll assume he caved in to Dan when it came to personel and failed to draw the line when his relationship became to close to the players."

Brady Quinn?  Ted Ginn??  

I agree, hopefully BA will be the common sense guy in the room.  However, you can't put all the blame on DS.  The way the FO is structured now, maybe the HC will not have the ability to walk into owners office with a list of goodies.

I'm concerned that Allen is just another Snyder yes man. How can you, as the GM of a franchise being subordinate to your head coach ? What kind of signal are we sending here ?

Forget my memory but that was the first time I saw a head coach overstepping a GM by mutual agreement with the owner.

15 years, and one common denominator.  Front office people, employees, coaches, and staff have come and gone.  Just one person has been here from day one.

I don't come on here and say much, but I not only live in the area, and have relatives that live near Redskins Park, but I have known people that work for the Redskins either directly or indirectly.  Heck, my neighbor works for the NFLPA and has some stories.

All that said, I am on a wait and see approach this off season.  So far, I like what BA has done.  I like his approach, his taking charge and stating he will be making the decisions.  Just have to wait and see if that actually continues into the future.  I just keep waiting for a report that the owner is flying out to meet this person of that person.  Time will tell.

Well said.  And it's what I say to people in public all the time during Redskins conversations.  15 years...one common denominator.

Brady Quinn?  Ted Ginn??  

Read the article. DS had to be talked out of drafting Quinn. I can only imagine what a trainwreck that would've been especially for the HC. After he was talked out of drafting Quinn he set his sights on Ginn Jr. who was a first round bust for Miami and is now a glorified KR/PR. God knows who else he had in mind.

This is what was said about the McNabb situation back in Dec 2010

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/18/AR2010121802807_2.html?sid=ST2010121802905

In the article in the OP, they say Snyder wanted McNabb and Mike wanted Bulger.

In 2010, Mike benched McNabb for the final drive against the Lions in Week 8.  He then benched him for the season in Week 15.  The next season McNabb was traded.

The key question is, "did the Shanahans share their evaluation of McNabb with Snyder?"

It's always shocking to me how many people STILL want to believe that Snyder is anything but a complete cancer for this team.

Same here.  I can't fathom how people find a way to defend his actions.

If he's doing all of these great things, then why is he hiring his 8th coach after the first 7 have left here with losing records during their tenure?  And why don't the Skins have more than 2 playoff wins in 6 total playoff games during that time? (And I'm being generous including 1999.  He inherited that team.)

The key question is, "did the Shanahans share their evaluation of McNabb with Snyder?"

"The head coach needs to prevent the owner from hiring someone who’s not qualified. And that’s why Shanahan is no longer here, to be truthful with you. He’s not here because his job was to prevent the owner from hiring a not-qualified QB."

- Dan Snyder

(Parody of a Snyder quote from the OP)

"The head coach needs to prevent the owner from hiring someone who’s not qualified. And that’s why Shanahan is no longer here, to be truthful with you. He’s not here because his job was to prevent the owner from hiring a not-qualified QB."

- Dan Snyder

(Parody of a Snyder quote from the OP)

WOW!  That was funny.  However, here come all the RGIII defenders. 

I niether agree or disagree with that parody statement, however, it was pretty good!

All the hate for DS is understandable, but not sure it holds much water anymore. The one thing DS has done is give his head coaches EVERY possible thing they want. You want L Coles (Spurrier HC)? Here you go. You want Haynesworth (to Vinny)? Here you go. You want a practice bubble? Here is my Checkbook. You want to move training camp? Here you go. You want (insert anything here)? And I will go get it for you!!! It seems he will open up his checkbook and spend as much money as he thinks the Head Coach needs to get EXACTLY what he needs.

You just nailed exactly what is wrong with Snyder and this organization as a result.

The only way Snyder knows how to deal with a problem is throw money at it. Thus, our team is known as a dysfunctional team that spends money frivously.

I'm hoping that Allen can change this culture but Snyder doesn't help matters at all.

This isn't even a new story, it's an old, rehashed one with one goal in mind: deflect blame away from Shanahan onto someone many are always looking to blame.

Shanahan had full control of the team. Shanahan made the decision to trade for McNabb. Shanahan is the one to blame for the move. Plain and simple. Shanahan came in, demanded full control to come here, had it written in his contract, is stubborn and egotistical and a control freak, yet some of you believe Snyder was behind the McNabb move? Seriously? This is more of the same deflecting nonsense that we've already seen, like the BS claim that Shanny didn't want RG3 and Snyder made the move.

If you can't accept it's all been Shanny then it's because you have a bias against Snyder and are willing to ignore rationality in favor of it. 

Most actually liked the McNabb trade when it was made, so odds are most of you trying to blame Snyder for a move Shanahan made actually supported the trade when it happened. Why not blame yourselves as well for liking the move at the time, or at least admitting that while the move was bad, you saw credibility and sense in making the move at the time?

I had the same feeling reading it--it's all old hat. We've all heard these stories before. How about what Snyder has changed? We know he was an asshole to people 10 years ago. How big of an asshole is he still? Does what he did at Snyder communications really matter anymore?

At least the Post is staying green...they apparently recycle their content too!

burn.jpg

Snyder is our very down Peter Angelos, this franchise is doomed for as long as Snyder owns that team.

This oft repeated line only makes sense if the owner is actually involved in player personnel and coaching decisions. He wasn't for 4 years under Shanny and he isn't now.

The franchise was actually doomed as long as it continued to not have a normal front office structure separate from the coach like how the majority of NFL teams are set up. We have that set up now.

This oft repeated line only makes sense if the owner is actually involved in player personnel and coaching decisions. He wasn't for 4 years under Shanny and he isn't now.

And doesn't Dan enjoy spending money?

Archived