Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Snyder still struggles to find formula for success

hail2skins

There is no doubt that DS wants to win.  Problem is, he wants to win on his terms- which means that he wants to win and be able to take credit as an integral part.  

Up to this point, being a silent owner who lets football people take care of things and totally stays out of the way hasn't been acceptable for DS.  Let's hope that things will be different

Ditto - Snyder could do everything the fans wanted him to (and has, frankly, after giving up control almost completely), and the Post would still rip him apart for things that happened 14 years ago. F'em. I even stopped reading the Post Sports section online because I found their reporting has really become agenda-driven drivel.

Some of our idiot fans are still ripping Snyder for what he did 14 years ago. A couple of posters that have been in recent threads make me think that they are stuck in a time warp.

Some of our idiot fans are still ripping Snyder for what he did 14 years ago. A couple of posters that have been in recent threads make me think that they are stuck in a time warp.

You are as good as your last decision...which btw was the worst coaching Record in the history of the Redskins.

Some of us idiots want him to hire a real GM and get out of the way.

Bookmark this and lets chat in 3 years.

You are as good as your last decision...which btw was the worst coaching Record in the history of the Redskins.

Some of us idiots want him to hire a real GM and get out of the way.

Bookmark this and lets chat in 3 years.

You can chant "I want a real GM," kick and scream all you want in every thread as you have, but it's not happening the way you want it to. I'm not saying Snyder is completely blameless for the past 14 years, but reading some of the posts in here lately, I feel like its 2000 all over again.

And yes, let's revisit this in three years. If I'm right, I'm right, if I'm wrong, I'm a big man to admit it. Hell, at this point, I have the upper hand because after 3-13, it has to get better.

You can chant "I want a real GM," kick and scream all you want in every thread as you have, but it's not happening the way you want it to. I'm not saying Snyder is completely blameless for the past 14 years, but reading some of the posts in here lately, I feel like its 2000 all over again.

Hey I just want you to stop posting what just isn't true.  I am not mad at Snyder for what he did 14 years ago.  I want the franchise to one day start in the right direction.  Said the same thing when he hired Shanny.

Some of us just tired of Groundhog Day.

Hey I just want you to stop posting what just isn't true. I am not mad at Snyder for what he did 14 years ago. I want the franchise to one day start in the right direction. Said the same thing when he hired Shanny.

Some of us just tired of Groundhog Day.

I'm tired of the losing also. But when fans (maybe not you) keep repeating what the agenda boys in the media keep saying, it looks foolish. Whether you think so or not, the media still write articles about Snyder like its 2000 and just signed Bruce Smith and Deion again, and some of our fans eat it up.

I thought the article was pretty fair....probably some words of truth there....but always need to take words of unnamed employees with a little grain of salt as to their own personal motivations for talking.   

I think many posters here will not be happy with Snyder regardless of what he does.....until either he is pushing up dasies, or sells the team.  I do not think it is unreasonable for the owner of the team to want to know what is going on with his team.  I don't even have a big problem with him having a meal with his young QB.  I do not think you can reasonably fault Snyder for the Shanahan hire that just did not work out.  He has retained Bruce as GM, and hopefully now the Allen/Brown/Campbell team will select the correct HC to move forward. 

I think many posters here will not be happy with Snyder regardless of what he does..

I keep reading this... While its true that there are a handful of those (there ALWAYS are, no matter who we are talking about) ... it feels like a very poor excuse for very poor ownership.

And yes, let's revisit this in three years. If I'm right, I'm right, if I'm wrong, I'm a big man to admit it. Hell, at this point, I have the upper hand because after 3-13, it has to get better.

Actually, at 3-13 there is still room for it to be worse.  We could go 2-14, 1-15 or 0-16 next year.  That happens and Bruce and his coach will be gone. Robert could have a career ending injury in preseason.

On the flipside we could go 13-3 and win the Superbowl.     It's just very hard to trust Snyder.   Actually, that amount of cap space scares me to death because Snyder could apply pressure to wipe out that cap space in offseason.

Sorry, but I will have to wait and see.  By not hiring a GM from outside and letting that GM have control; I can't help but wonder how much sway will Snyder have over Bruce.   Bruce did work for Al Davis at one time.

I recall Vinny gloating about how Danny wanted Santana Moss while Marty wanted Rod Gardner.  If so, that seemed to empower him.  But yeah M. Kelly over Jordy Nelson, and the other stuff, tough to swallow.

I do put 100% of the blame under this tenure on Shanny, though.  As John Keim likes to say, all these Shanny didn't want this guy or that guy conviently comes out when things go wrong.  Shanny loves RG3 when they win the division, says he's poised for a hall of fame career, best rookie season ever -- then, things go south, Tannehill has a good year -- Shanny leaks hey I didn't want the dude, Tannehill was my guy.

The results speak for themselves.  This is a franchise where coaching careers come to die.  It doesn't matter "who shot John" - DS, the Coaches, the "GMs", etc. the results year in and year out are the same.  The fact is that regardless of prior coaching experience and reputation, your career and reputation will not survive a tour with this organization.  Until "that" is fixed, this organization cannot win.

The real mystery is that unlike Dallas where the problem is readily apparent, not so obvious here.  In Dallas they all point to one person.  Here they point everywhere with seemly no concensus. 

Actually, I was thinking about this and there is one other constant.  Poor o lines.  Norv had a bad o line (how long did we go with Shar Pourdanish?), Marty had a so - so o line, Spurrier's oline was obviously water or his scheme was.  With Gibbs, we finally developed a line for a bit.  Samuels and Jansen, but the middle was still a bit weak.  Shanahan's line overachieved in 2012 because the RO confused and made defenses very cautious, but in his other three years they were terrible.

Hopefully, the next hire believes in the importance of line play.  As Smoot said, we need big uglies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/01/07/the-gibbs-coaching-search/

I love that Steinberg did this.  Kudos to him.  I wasn't around for this, I was just a gleam in my daddy's eye (barely)... but I've done research to see how bad it was with JKC as the owner when the streets weren't paved with gold.

I'll post some of my favorite quotes from the piece below but it's well worth the read:

The Setting:  Jack Pardee has just been fired and Beatherd and JKC are searching for his replacement.

Jan. 6: The bars and taverns along Pennsylvania Avenue SE between the Capitol and RFK Stadium have long been Redskin turf, and the reaction there yesterday to the firing of Coach Jack Pardee was immediate and vocal.

“You wait and see. Jack Pardee will come back to haunt this town,” shouted Mike Vaughn, a season-ticket holder since 1960…. “I think that Jack Pardee is one of the better coaches in football, and I think that in the next five years Jack Pardee’s name will be mentioned right up there with Tom Landry and Don Shula as one of the great coaches of the game.”…

As the after-work bunch drifted in, news of Pardee’s discharge spread quickly. The overwhelming sentiment seemed to be supportive of the embattled coach.

Jan. 6: Pardee’s greatest problem might have been remaining himself. He did not stroke the owner’s ego, make him privy to strategy. Neither was Pardee good at con. Many coaches would have invented ways to convince the boss they were working miracles with the available players, that nobody can train a mule to win the Kentucky Derby.

THE OWNER BLAMERS

Jan. 6: In the basement at Duddington’s, Mavis McCormack, a Redksin fan since the 1940s, lifted a brew and added her voice to the litany of laments.

“I go all the way back to the days of Slingin’ Sammy Baugh,” said McCormack. “But I feel real badly about this.

“Last year the team wasn’t supposed to do very well at all but they showed a lot of promise and I think that was because of Pardee. This year I think he was undermined by (owner Jack Kent) Cooke. It happens all the time when you’re being undermined by your boss. Nobody is going to do anything for you. And that’s what happened to Pardee. Edward Bennett Williams never would have done that.”

Jan. 7: “Yeah, I’m bitter,” Pardee said in an instant after insisting he wasn’t. “I think he (owner Jack Kent Cooke) made a big mistake. But it’s his ball. He can play with it the way he wants to. It was a difference of opinion. Now I can run my farm the way I want to….

“There’s one thing I certainly agree with Mr. Cooke on, a saying he used that I’d never heard before, that a fish stinks from the head. Not the tail or the body but the head. I think Mr. (Edward Bennett) Williams had a very successful run at running the Redskins.Mr. Cooke’s has just started. We’ll see. It’s gonna take one, two, three, four years and we’ll see how that goes.”

Later, Pardee said: “We’ll wait a couple of years and see how the fish smells.”

If that sounds familiar to you, the answer to the question you are asking yourself is, "Yes, it sounds familiar to me, too."

Grant Paulsen says it reads like a sourced news story but its an opinion piece.  Sally isn't around this team.  He doubts for example she spoke directly to Santana or Pierre but rides with her third party source about them which he presumes is likely Shanny.  He doesn't get the sense that Sally has ever talked to RG3 or bothered to get a response from him -- the subject of her assassination.  

Grant said one player just told him that RG3 tries to play it down and say there is a distance with his relationship with Danny as opposed to play it up like the article suggests.   Grant doesn't think its accurate that RG3 is a reason why a coach wouldn't take the job -- he sees him more as an asset.

Edit:  I posted this in the wrong thread

I'm tired of the losing also. But when fans (maybe not you) keep repeating what the agenda boys in the media keep saying, it looks foolish. Whether you think so or not, the media still write articles about Snyder like its 2000 and just signed Bruce Smith and Deion again, and some of our fans eat it up.

what happen in 2000?

That's why he is terrible LOL. That isn't a good thing.

Hire a GM please. Stop the nonsense.

Can you explain to me why DS should do anything other than nod and sign checks, as directed by the football personnel currently set in place? I certainly don't want him scouting players or interviewing coaches.

We also have a GM. It's just that you don't particularly care for the internal promotion.

what happen in 2000?

When danny got his meddling title by signing Bruce Smith and Deion. Stuff the media constantly likes to bring up again and again. Hasnt done the big splash since Haynesworth.  

Can you explain to me why DS should do anything other than nod and sign checks, as directed by the football personnel currently set in place? I certainly don't want him scouting players or interviewing coaches.

We also have a GM. It's just that you don't particularly care for the internal promotion.

Some people wont be happy Bacon. We have essentially 3 GMs but because its not some one from the outside they are not happy. They think Danny will be sitting in on every meeting possible. 

what happen in 2000?

Snyder played fantasy football and signed Deion, Bruce Smith, Jeff George and Mark Carrier. Snyder also insisted George start.

Are you that nieve to think that the other 31 owners just nod and sign checks? "Every" owner is involved in the day to day operations of their team. It's to what extent  that they are involved is what should be questioned. Do you honestly think that Zigi Wilf isn't involved in finding the Vikings next coach? Newsflash, they all are. The Titans owner, the Browns owner and the Lions owner are all involved.  If you owned Walmart, would you just sit back and write checks or would you make sure your business is going well by being involved in the day to day? 

I recall Vinny gloating about how Danny wanted Santana Moss while Marty wanted Rod Gardner.  If so, that seemed to empower him.  But yeah M. Kelly over Jordy Nelson, and the other stuff, tough to swallow.

Personally, I found it a very curious comparison, given that Nelson was well off the board by the time we drafted Kelly.  Personally, I liked both players and wanted Kelly over Nelson by a slight margin, but I also didn't have the medical reports to make that judgement.

Overall, I though it was a pretty fair piece, tho I think some of the anecdotes lack context.  I think the best thing to take from this is that he does seem to trust Bruce and Bruce seems to be acting as a buffer, rather than being someone who is eager to please the owner.  Maybe Bruce's experience working with difficult owners will help here.

Edit:  This article by Keim should go along with this one:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4651/quick-takes-coaching-under-snyder

This mess was 100% his fault and he's trying desperately to spread misinformation that will salvage his reputation and Kyle's. He's got HOF consideration to consider, and Kyle has his future career.

Seriously?  All the bad press is some elaborate Shanahan conspiracy to save his name?  Ridiculous.  I wonder sometimes if some people on this forum are related to Snyder or something.

Archived