Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

5/20/14 Edit: Per John Keim: Morocco Brown will become VP of player personel for Browns

Boss_Hogg

How about we promote from within for once? Are there any Morocco Brown or Scott Campbell apprentices that they could actually empower?

Why am I asking, they'll find a way to screw this up.

Look to some of Bruce's old associates for the answer. Cronyism is the new word of the day at Redskins park.

So I have not read why Brown was leaving.....was he let go, fired, or just had a better offer?   Also....if BA wants to bring in folks he is familiar with, and has a track history with....then why is that necessarily a bad thing?   Normally when a new GM comes to a team.....sooner or later he will clean house and bring in "his" guys.....same with the HC.....more often than not the HC will bring in guys he is familiar with.....or at minimum guys that he wants.   Nothing new with that. 

Was Brown so valuable in his job that he is irreplaceable to this organization? 

Look to some of Bruce's old associates for the answer. Cronyism is the new word of the day at Redskins park.

How is this different than anyplace else?  Jobs are often about who you know.

Sorry to hear about Brown going, but given the promotion, I don't blame him.

Updated thread title.

This really sucks for us :(

John Keim @john_keim 12m

Morocco Brown departing for Cleveland: Morocco Brown got a promotion -- just not from the Redskins. ... http://es.pn/R4JJsX  #Redskins

Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi 18m

Morocco Brown, who will be named #Browns VP of player personnel, has been in bldg since last week. Attended rookie camp last weekend.

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 15m

The #Redskins not only did not take care of Morocco Brown in terms of a promotion, but in terms of job title - have not promoted S. Campbell

How is this different than anyplace else?  Jobs are often about who you know.

Sorry to hear about Brown going, but given the promotion, I don't blame him.

Having a hard time seeing this as a big loss, and I'm far from prez of the Bruce Allen fan club.  Morocco Brown either had a hand in building a pretty bad roster over the years or had no real influence at all and therefore no real track record.  

Only thing we know for sure is he's good at making the media like him. 

Goodness, the Skins are getting roasted on Twitter for this...as well they should.

Morocco did most of the GM work without the title, he's finally getting the recognition and $$ he deserves.

This is such a bummer, Brown was good at finding talent, liked by the players, and an all around cool guy.

Goodness, the Skins are getting roasted on Twitter for this...as well they should.

Morocco did most of the GM work without the title, he's finally getting the recognition and $$ he deserves.

This is such a bummer, Brown was good at finding talent, liked by the players, and an all around cool guy.

Not being a jerk.  But seriously, how do we know he's good at finding talent?  Our roster certainly isn't the best evidence.

A very little man with the name Mike Shanahan had final say on the roster.

Fair enough. Clear Shanny was control freak.

Still don't see the evidence that Morocco is good at finding talent.  Then again, I'm not privy to the info some folks are.  Maybe he had a draft board that was awesome but Shanny ignored it. 

Updated thread title.

This really sucks for us :(

John Keim ‏@john_keim 12m

Morocco Brown departing for Cleveland: Morocco Brown got a promotion -- just not from the Redskins. ... http://es.pn/R4JJsX  #Redskins

Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi 18m

Morocco Brown, who will be named #Browns VP of player personnel, has been in bldg since last week. Attended rookie camp last weekend.

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980 15m

The #Redskins not only did not take care of Morocco Brown in terms of a promotion, but in terms of job title - have not promoted S. Campbell

I wonder is this due to Allen's newfound autonomy...

Morocco Brown almost had #Cards GM job last year, was considered for #Bucs job this year. This is a natural step up. #Browns

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980  

In complete hindsight, now I realize why Morocco wasn't at rookie mini-camp on Saturday. I had not seen him in a while. Should have checked.

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980 

Some #Redskins officials did not know until yesterday, some knew for several days. Shocking that it took this long to come out.

Fair enough. Clear Shanny was control freak.

Still don't see the evidence that Morocco is good at finding talent.  Then again, I'm not privy to the info some folks are.  Maybe he had a draft board that was awesome but Shanny ignored it. 

That would be Scott Campbell, Morocco was pro player personnnel

This is exactly why a lot of us had issues with the titles that were given (or not given, really) earlier in the offseason. 

Shouldn't the Redskins have announced already who will replace him? I hope they weren't blindsided by this.  

I'm actually a lot less impressed with Campbell than I am Brown. But, I also think that Campbell had the strings pulled a few times in his past. I think this draft is going to be important to his career. And I think as far as actual skill he's going to get a good draft class. Only time will tell.

Well, the biggest thing Brown was involved with was being the biggest cheerleader for signing Garcon.  Whether or not he was doing a good job otherwise is hard to say, but he seems to have a good rep in the league.

I would guess that in the near term that Doug Williams will fill in, since he did that job in Tampa.  Course, this is the time of year where these changes are made and it is possible we could hire someone else.

This is what bothers me about this;  This is a quote from Bruce Allen's press conference after he fired Shanny.

On his reasoning for not restructuring the front office:

“I see some people who have to be given an opportunity to succeed. I think Scott Campbell running a college draft will be as capable as any personnel director in the NFL. I know what Morocco Brown can do in free agency. I’ve seen the grades of the players he’s given in free agency. To blame them, I think, would be unfair to not giving them an opportunity to succeed. Our front office will win and lose as the team does. We believe that we have the right people in place. You saw it last year. This year, you saw – not the complete opposite, because we lost eight versus winning seven in a row. We’re very confident where we’re going to go with them.”

If that was a true statement, then why not make preemptive moves to keep these guys?  If it's not true that they are an important part of the organization then why say this? This is what drives me crazy about this organization...

It's hard to tell if this is a significant loss or not.

Does anybody really know who he brought in during his term that was considered a successful get?

Do we know of any players brought in who were not very good?

I know the guy has a reputation, but I'm just not seeing the results.

If that was a true statement, then why not make preemptive moves to keep these guys?  If it's not true that they are an important part of the organization then why say this? This is what drives me crazy about this organization...

I believe this is something I found weird as well. I wanted Allen to be moved to VP and Brown and Campbell promoted up to co-GM status. Still the same power structure. Different titles. Slightly different roles. Better pay.

Archived