Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you could dramatically upgrade just one area in 2014 - what would it be?

MichiganSkinsFan

to me the answer is simple.  O line. we are primarily a run team which it will benefit, and it will give RG3 more time upright which should help the passing game. Although D-secondary could use some work. But with a dominant O-line and a good run game which we have we should be able to just run the clock and ToP.

Ownership.  I'm not superstitious, but there's been one common denominator in these 13 years of futility and that's the top guy.

yeah, I mean, now that the playoffs are dead and the season on life support, we can talk big picture. 

For me ... it all comes down to this. 

The culture of this team is rotten ... and it all starts with Dan.  

Offensive line.

I've realized why our running game works and passing game fails. With the zone run scheme, OL can actually lose their one on one matchups(get pushed back off the LOS) and it still be a positive play. The lateral movement creates so many lanes that, with a back with vision like Morris, it is possible to be successful even when your OL is losing their matchups. Still, we see from time to time they lose so bad that run plays get blown up. Also, we can't really run traditional run plays that are to gaps. We can't run power runs. We can't really run on short yardage. Any runs that actually require our OL to beat the man in front of them are questionable.

As far as passing goes, we cannot create a pocket. Our interior OL is terrible at anchoring and creating that space for a QB to step up from edge rushers. This dominoes to where the Tackles cannot ride their guys around the pocket, because there is no pocket to step into(moreso a comment for Williams). Polumbus is not very good with speed rushers. He's also not very good with power rushers. He's just not good.

Our OL is truly pitiful, but I do at least give Mike Shanahan's running scheme credit for being able to succeed even when the players don't. Unfortunately, the passing game needs guys that actually can block someone. WE HAVE TO UPGRADE THIS OL.

The o-line is iffy, but you can work around that to some degree. There is nothing you can do in this pass happy NFL with a bad secondary.

There is nothing you can do in a pass happy NFL when your QB can't get a consistently clean pocket.  With our o-line, we can never be a passing team and never be a come from behind team.  Now that we have a potentially great QB, we need to give him the best line possible.  Put Robert behind a typical NE line and he is a world beater like Brady. 

Back on topic, I don't think we can be a great team by only fixing 1 area, so I don't like this topic much.  We need a better inside LB, a better safety, a better WR, a better punter and 2 or 3 upgrades on the o-line.  Do that and we will be competitive. 

Offensive line....

WE HAVE TO UPGRADE THIS OL.

I can't figure out why, with all our interior line problem, we haven't at least tried to play the young guys some.  Rib must be in shape by now, so get him into the lineup at the beginning of a practice week and start him in a game.  Robert is being pummeled anyway, so give these guys some real playing time and see if they blossom. 

It starts at the very top. 

Until we have a real NFL front office in place we will never win on a regular basis, I don't care who is coaching.

How do I know?

Because it's been proven the past 13 years here. That is enough of a sample size for me.

I can't figure out why, with all our interior line problem, we haven't at least tried to play the young guys some.  Rib must be in shape by now, so get him into the lineup at the beginning of a practice week and start him in a game.  Robert is being pummeled anyway, so give these guys some real playing time and see if they blossom.

Agreed. I wish we could get some of our younger OL out there to see if they can do any better.

yeah, I mean, now that the playoffs are dead and the season on life support, we can talk big picture. 

For me ... it all comes down to this. 

The culture of this team is rotten ... and it all starts with Dan.

Well, Dan's not going anywhere during most of our lifetimes, so it's not really productive to wish on that particular shooting star.

OL for me too.  Developing RGIII has to be a top priority.  Shanny is unique in his ability to create a top level running attack.  So much so that he has often used resources in other areas.  However, having spent money on Jamal Brown at RT shows some flexibility in that philosophy. I would love to see a Shanny offense anchored by a top notch OL, dominating in the run game, and providing a more stable pocket, extra time, in the passing game.

I'm big on Alex Mack.  Not sure about who might be a fit at RT?  Will Veldheer be available, will he play RT, at what cost?  Is Oher smart enough?  Albert, Monroe, Saffold?  How much can realalisticlly be  spent on one unit?

O line, D line, and ILB.

Win in the trenches and you'd be surprised how much better it makes the QB RB WRs and secondary look.

Just take SF for example. That secondary is pretty average, but their front 7 is DOMINANT. Robert had no time to get anything going downfield and had to resort to quick screens and short passes.

Switching sides to the offense, o good O line means more time for plays to develop downfield, and Robert not running for his life every time he drops back...

Anyone who knows football, knows its the O line like everyone else has said. Ignore the flashy players, even Smoot has pointed out that its the trenches where the game is won or lost and our interior oline play - center and guards are incredibly awful. 

Archived