Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you could dramatically upgrade just one area in 2014 - what would it be?

MichiganSkinsFan

Let me re-iterate. O Line.

Honestly, I would have no issue with extending both Shanahans if a serious commitment were made to bolster our O Line and defensive secondary.

I just don't have faith that they'll actually do it.

Totally agree!  OL number 1; Secondary number 2

OFFENSIVE  Olineman      makes everybody look smarter and better.  Our own history shows the way.   Gibbs whole career was built on a young and  dominate oline that stayed together for his whole career.   The giants have won 2 superbowl trophies in the last decade with a dominate oline and d line.  It may not be sexy but its the truth.  Oline or bust man HTTR

Heart.  We have none this year.

O-line. Because it will directly positively affect Robert's development as a pocket passer which we keep hearing is the goal. He will never develop and instead be Ramsey'd if everytime he drops back, he is smashed before he can even set his feet.

Whos goal is it?  His father's?  Is he making the decisions on how his son is used on this team?  That is my fear.

Dude is a running QB, not a pocket passer.

It would be VERY simple for me, the defense!!!!!

Sure our offensive line isn't that good but defense wins championships and if we could somehow get a defense this team would be leading the division.

Offensive line would be a VERY close 2nd. 

But then again you won't hear me complain if the Oline takes priority over the defense in 2014. 

There are far too many problems from the top down to pick just one.

With that in mind, i think upgrading the game day experience, maybe having a mascot riding around the stadium launching T shirts into the crowd using a bow would be a fine starting point. 

Going to the games needs to be fun again.

I'm tired of watching opposing team QBs stand in the pocket all day waiting for a receiver to get open, which they inevitably do. Kapernick could have baked a cake on one of his TD passes last night.

Skins need FOUR guys who can put their hands in the dirt and dominate the line of scrimmage. They also need a D Coordinator who knows the 4-3.

BTW, this is coming from a guy who thought for years that they should focus on investing in O-linemen. You asked about ONE unit. If you count all linemen--O-line and D-line--as one unit, that is the one I pick.

"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling."
--Vince Lombardi

This is the best Snyder has been since he's owned the team.  Cerrato is gone.

Coaching? perhaps. 

Definitely Oline, burn 30-40% of our money chasing veteran Oline.  As close to minimum salary and loaded with incentives.  (Almo reaches 1500 yds for maximum, etc.)

With an Oline established, we can chase a NT, ILB, and spend the draft trying to get lucky on some DBs/WRs.

I was done with this staff Monday...not so much today.  I still think Mike & co. gets their 5 years....regardless of our feelings on the matter.  Who knows what incentives Mike has built into his contract if early termination occurs.  He could become part owner.  *gasp*

QB play. 

It's really that simple.  There's a reason fans of other teams are referring to him as RG3-8 or Vince Couch III.  He's not going through any semblance of a read progression.  If the first read is covered, he's getting happy feet in the pocket and looking to run.  That works in college and when NFLteams don't have film but the NFL is a passing league and without much greater production through the air, all hope is lost.

Wow talk about a hard question to answer. Dang I don't think you go wrong with any one answer but I think maybe the Oline would be a great starting point. But the OC is right up there for me also and of course the D coordinator and special teams coach so I guess the entire coaching staff lol.

Man this question is right up there with what came first the chicken or the egg lol.

With just one area as an option to choose from it's a no brainer....OL. We have the lightest line in the league, though it may work in Shanahans run scheme, it is terrible in Pass Blocking. We have 3 natural centers playing the C, RG and LG positions. It's obvious that our RT situation is attrocious, Polumbus simply cannot Pass Block effectively.

That aspect of his skill level negates any positives in the run game.

I say go all out for Alex Mack as a free agent in FA, start letting Tom Compton, Adam Gettis and LeReibus into the games as starters, how much worse can they be? And if they are awful at least we will know it, something has to give.

I beleive our top priorities in the upcoming 2014 draft should favor heavily in both lines DL and OL in my opinion. Winning games involves mostly the trenches, it always has been and always will be.

QB play. 

It's really that simple.  There's a reason fans of other teams are referring to him as RG3-8 or Vince Couch III.  He's not going through any semblance of a read progression.  If the first read is covered, he's getting happy feet in the pocket and looking to run.  That works in college and when NFLteams don't have film but the NFL is a passing league and without much greater production through the air, all hope is lost.

I have to disagree, last year when he had both a health knee and full confidence in his legs he was able to avoid a lot of pressures.

This year he does have constant and heavy pressure.

That is no excuse for his inability to throw the ball away, his lack of pocket awarness, inability to use what pocket he does have ( seems to move right into a lot of his sacks ), again his lack of confidence in his legs is why his passes are so inconsistence ( this and that fact that he is shell shocked from getting pummeled every frikkin game ), he does tend to stare down his receivers and doesn't seem to have a very good sense of anticapating receiver routes.

A lot of people are saying the receivers are not getting open, although that might be true in some sense, for the most part they are getting the needed separations, but he is waiting too long to throw the ball. The ball needs to come out before the receiver makes his move, not after. Almost every CB or S in this league is able to close on a receiver after they look for the ball.

I do believe that RGIII can be extremely successful in this league, but for the rest of the season if as it seems to be lost it is my opinion that we should be playing our depth players. This includes Kirk Cousins. Not only do we need a different kind of spark with this team, we also need to see what he can do with the same situation RGIII deals with. Knowing how many fans on this forum will disagree with me, it is the only way superceding speculation which is uselss really to determine what the outcome will be.

It also will serve 2 other purposes, it will allow RGIII to mentally recover from all the beatings he has endured and allow him to get stronger and more confident in his legs and his body overall. Also it will help him understand how easy it is to lose your postion in this league and maybe light the neccessary fire needed for him to see that he needs to see himself as a TEAM member and not the INDIVIDUAL STAR that needs to do everything alone.

With just one area as an option to choose from it's a no brainer....OL. We have the lightest line in the league, though it may work in Shanahans run scheme, it is terrible in Pass Blocking. We have 3 natural centers playing the C, RG and LG positions. It's obvious that our RT situation is attrocious, Polumbus simply cannot Pass Block effectively.

That aspect of his skill level negates any positives in the run game.

I say go all out for Alex Mack as a free agent in FA, start letting Tom Compton, Adam Gettis and LeReibus into the games as starters, how much worse can they be? And if they are awful at least we will know it, something has to give.

I beleive our top priorities in the upcoming 2014 draft should favor heavily in both lines DL and OL in my opinion. Winning games involves mostly the trenches, it always has been and always will be.

This.  A great offensive line can make skill position players much more effective.

O line easily.  Give RG3 time to go through progressions and he may actually be able to do it.  We chastise him for not making reads, but every time he tries to make a read he literally gets pressure right in his face.  I have not seen an o line as abysmal as ours this year.  I can't recall the last time rg3 got an inordinate amount of time to throw.  Everyone says that internal clock should say get rid of the ball, and it's true, but most qb's get at least a few passes a game where they have an eternity to throw.  RG3 doesn't get any of those.

Archived