Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Have To Keep The Shanahans...

Renegade7

Keep the Shanahans for 2014??? (Public Poll)  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shanahan be allow to finish his 5 year contract even if we don't make the playoffs in 2013?

I voted yes. Shanahan is brought a lot organization this team. When we started no respectable free agent would come here. That's starting to change. And that was not easy to do, considering Snyder probably wanted a "marketable"team during the transition/rebuild.

We have depth. We have salary flexibility. We play competitive games. All this in spite of John Mara. And we're going to get better -- this I believe!

As far as rumors about "RG3"'s tensions with Head Coach Shanahan. -- I can only say that kind of rumor -- if substantiated -- should prompt consideration on whether we really need Griffin's drama ...or not.

Unlike some of those on this Board, I don't see Griffin as "untouchable." If he's actually starting to become a Diva in his 2nd year, what can we expect in his 5th? I certainly hope those rumors are not that solid; otherwise I question Griffin's commitment to learn the NFL game from some really well-grounded NFL coaches.

Assuming the Skins do gut their staff to please RG3 and where would they be if "RG3" still does decide to pull a LeBron? (It probably wouldn't be about the coach who was totally deferring to Griffin's wishes, but it could be for some other reason.). Frankly, I reject being held hostage by that kind of behavior-- I'd rather trade Griffin before that happens and cut the Skins' possible losses.

Keep Shanahan and avoid the circus times we saw during the Zorn era!

This is Danny Smith 2.0, I'm praying Snyder fires Shanahan for pure entertainment so we can see Keith Burns 2.0 when Snyder hires a yes man he can control and bully and then I can laugh when the "Fire Shanny" crowd become bewildered that the new coach Snyder hires made the team even worse. HAHAHAHA 

Personally I think we should keep shanny for his last year of his contract and allow him to fix the D he said he needed 5 years and it's not like Snyder has a good track record at finding head coaches so it shouldn't hurt to give the future hall of famer Mike Shanahan his 5 years I mean the only other option would be let the billionaire midget who wants to be Jerry Jones so badly do his best impersonation of Jerry Jones, Who knows maybe he'll hire his best friend Vinny Cerrato back as GM. lol  

I voted yes. Shanahan is brought a lot organization this team. When we started no respectable free agent would come here. That's starting to change. And that was not easy to do, considering Snyder probably wanted a "marketable"team during the transition/rebuild.

We have depth. We have salary flexibility. We play competitive games. All this in spite of John Mara. And we're going to get better -- this I believe!

As far as rumors about "RG3"'s tensions with Head Coach Shanahan. -- I can only say that kind of rumor -- if substantiated -- should prompt consideration on whether we really need Griffin's drama ...or not.

Unlike some of those on this Board, I don't see Griffin as "untouchable." If he's actually starting to become a Diva in his 2nd year, what can we expect in his 5th? I certainly hope those rumors are not that solid; otherwise I question Griffin's commitment to learn the NFL games from some really well-grounded NFL coaches.

Assuming the Skins do gut their staff to please RG3 and where would they be if "RG3" still does decide to pull a LeBron? (It probably wouldn't be about the coach who was totally deferring to Griffin's wishes, but it could be for some other reason.). Frankly, I reject being held hostage by that kind of behavior-- I'd rather trade Griffin before that happens and cut the Skins' possible losses.

Because the team hasn't been a circus in 2013?

It's been my belief since the start that Shanahan the GM would be a failure. If Synder does not think Shanahan is the right man to lead the 'Skins he has to can him after this season. We can't have Shanahan sign free agents this coming off season to sizable contracts that another coaching staff is going to have to deal with. 

Just stop already.  The back to back sacks to start the fourth quarter were both from a shotgun formation.  Some of ya'll will say just about anything where you're pissed off...

Being pissed off and knowing the game are two sepperate things. If you were at least guilty of one of the two this conversation would be a lot more interesting so I'll do you a favor and stop.

Yes, he is Mike's guy; yes, he (Shanahan) made the decision to bring him and (sadly to) keep him; I am not trying to absolve Coach Shanahan of the blame for the reason that the defense is so freakin' awful, since he (Shanahan) brought him in.  I'm just saying that Haslett (not Shanahan) is the problem we are losing, and he must go.

Every one needs a puppet to place blame on.  Many years ago Vinny was Dan's puppet Jason Garret is Jerry's puppet and Jim Haslett is Mikes puppet,  It attracts attention away from them and gives the media a topic to talk about 

Shanny must go.    This is the right time in Robert's career for a new head coach. 

Shanny is probably the most overrated coach of all time.   He's done jack since he won the Superbowls with Elway.  All, he did was give Elway the missing pieces to get him a Superbowl victory.  After Elway left, he's done nothing.

Aside from that AFC Championship game....

Im more of a RG3 fan than I am Shanahan 

. Not nearly as crazy as what was starting to happen under Zorn. I don't recall the word juggernaut ever being applies to a Campbell-led offense.

Being modestly more organized and professional than one of the worst NFL operations in recent history isn't exactly my goal as a fan. Being coached for four years by one of the highest-paid head coaches, this team should do all the little things right. Instead we still see bad penalties, seemingly have 3-4 suspensions per year, witness feuds, etc. That isn't all that much different than Zorn and Cerrato's circus.

Haslett sucks but we've spent lots of FA dollars and draft picks (Bowen, Cofield, 1 mid first, 2 2nds, a 4th) on the defense and we have 5 guys who are even average NFL starters (Rak, Kerrigan, Hall, Cofield, Jackson, with Amerson not making the list because he's a rookie). Mike Shanahan was a terrible personnel guy for years in Denver and we kinda assumed he'd magically get better.

Shanny has a few large plus attributes - his offensive design is generally amazing, he gets RB production, and he gets guys open. But his minuses outweigh his plusses and even if he DID fire Haslett, what's to say he doesn't hire someone just as bad?

Another way to look at this: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap-hit/. Cap figures this year.

I have a few observations.

1. The top guys on this list are all Shanny/Allen decisions. Some were here prior, of course, but decisions have been made on all of them by this regime.

2. There have been some terrible decisions and some good ones. I don't mind Garcon being our top cap hit, for example. 

3. The rebuild was necessary, but all you need to do is look at this list to realize that we have a significant misallocation of resources, without which we possibly would have been able to address those obvious needs we have now (OL line).

A simple look at this list proves that the problems we have today are on Shanny/Allen, IMO. The biggest problem is any "fix" will either have to come from Shanny (d-coordinator, ST coach, no O-coordinator, please), Allen (full coaching staff) or Snyder (puke).

Here are a few cap hits of note:

London Fletcher - $6.2 million

Josh Morgan - $5.1 million

Chris Chester - $4.3 million

Santana Moss - $4.0 million

Josh Wilson - $3.3 million

Wil Montgomery - $2.65 million

Fred Davis - $2.5 million

Being modestly more organized and professional than one of the worst NFL operations in recent history isn't exactly my goal as a fan. Being coached for four years by one of the highest-paid head coaches, this team should do all the little things right. Instead we still see bad penalties, seemingly have 3-4 suspensions per year, witness feuds, etc. That isn't all that much different than Zorn and Cerrato's circus.

1. The Skins are more organized and in better salary cap position than many other teams, with a lot more salary being freed up in 2014. Or perhaps you'd prefer the kinds of situations being brewed up in Dallas, Tampa Bay, etc.?

2. Candidly, do you feel today's offensive schemes from Shanahan are as bad as Zorn's? Or half of today's NFL offensive coordinators' offerings? Kyle Shanahan's play-calling is time-tested and legitimate. And he wouldn't last a nano-second on the open market, should the Skins let him go.

3. As for penalties on and off the field, should Shanahan be baby-sitting his players to ensure they didn't stray? A lot of teams get tagged with personal fouls, and those already carry financial implications --.so should Shanahan hurt his teams chances by suspending those players "dinged" during a lop-sided refereed game? A lot of teams are getting dinged -- it's not about the coaching, it's about players staying professional.

4. Who'd come here after we canned Shanahan? We'd be lucky to get a less competent version of Tampa Bay's staff.

HTTR24-7.com@HTTR24_71h

@louventuri Think we are headed for a coaching search

HTTR24-7.com@HTTR24_71h

He's not getting an extension RT @King_Sharma @HTTR24_7 so if we extend Shanny you won't be happy? Still ... http://tmi.me/1bUGEb

When asked if coaching change was coming:

HTTR24-7.com@HTTR24_7

1h

@UkRedskin1 With everything going on now..Yeah, think it's coming.

Now, our "insiders" don't bat 1.000 but they know their ****.

A coaching change isn't a pipe dream

those insiders that thought Griffin would be out for the year with torn pcl? monster swing and miss on that one.

I have a few observations.

3. The rebuild was necessary, but all you need to do is look at this list to realize that we have a significant misallocation of resources, without which we possibly would have been able to address those obvious needs we have now (OL line).

A simple look at this list proves that the problems we have today are on Shanny/Allen, IMO. The biggest problem is any "fix" will either have to come from Shanny (d-coordinator, ST coach, no O-coordinator, please), Allen (full coaching staff) or Snyder (puke).

Here are a few cap hits of note:

London Fletcher - $6.2 million

Josh Morgan - $5.1 million

Chris Chester - $4.3 million

Santana Moss - $4.0 million

Josh Wilson - $3.3 million

Wil Montgomery - $2.65 million

Fred Davis - $2.5 million

2 of the top 6 guys are linemen?

Shanny is a dead man walking! He'll get one more year as the coach and not the GM and the success of the 2014 redskins will determine an extension or termination.

The reason he won't show Jim the door is because Jim warned him about this 3-4 switch in 2010. Defiant Shan wanted to go with the switch anyway which brings us to where we are today.

Firing Jim is laying the foundation for admitting yo're wrong and Mike doesn't do that often.

I've loved the culture change the last 4 years post Zorn but much like Parcells in Dallas the next coach is going to inherit a gift.

Until last night, I did not agree.  I can't defend him anymore.  Shanahan stays for at least one more year. Give him an extension, and let the offensive staff continue to work through the off-season with Robert.  

I think if we could get somebody in here to coach this defense to a middle of the pack ranking we could make a run at a Super Bowl next season.

Extension? Why would you extend someone when they haven't earned it?

those insiders that thought Griffin would be out for the year with torn pcl? monster swing and miss on that one.

..Except I mistweeted the PCL/LCL then corrected it with Acl/Lcl moments later.

Archived