Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Have To Keep The Shanahans...

Renegade7

Keep the Shanahans for 2014??? (Public Poll)  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shanahan be allow to finish his 5 year contract even if we don't make the playoffs in 2013?

I'm sorry, but we did everything we could offensively to win this football game tonight.  From bootlegs to running the football, this is the second week in a row I've watched us dominate offensively then lose double digit leads.  We were up almost 18 minutes in time of possession at one point in that game, and still lost because we could not stop a 1-7 football team with a second string quarterback coming in from scoring the last 20 points of the game.

No, the offense works.  This is the best offense I've ever seen us have since I've been a fan because I didn't grow up in the glory years.  The potential with Griffin/Morris and this consistent 200 yard per game ground attack is astronomical, it really is.  But who the **** cares if you cannot stop the other team from scoring?

We do have some players on defense that I like; but as a unit, they are inconsistent at best and are simply not going to be good enough for us to win a championship with the pieces we have in place.  I'm tired of London Bridge falling down, or Orakpo almost getting there.  Niether one of them should be on the roster in 2014, I'm done.  And I do agree that we are not going to win a championship with Haslett as a defensive cordinator.  He may be decent at times and sometimes have a bad hand dealt, but he's not getting his guys to get it done, hasn't since he got here.

Between talent and coaching on the defensive side of the ball, us not getting any pressure in this game was just ripping my heart out to watch.  I feel we can get away with so much with what we have already on offense, especially with the way the Shanahans are developing Griffin and Morris.  But dear God we need more talent in our front seven to get pressure.  Orakpo is not the guy, Jenkins is not proving anything, and I'm still not really seeing what people see in Cofield or Bowen.  We need more talent, or even switch back to the 4-3, because this **** just is not working.  At all.

But at the end of the day, we can do what we want to do on defense to try and fix that, but that offense doesn't need nearly as much help.  That's the strenght of our football team right now.  My boy was mad we didn't score more points in 2nd half, I was like "27 points should be enough".  It really should against a 1-7 football team.  I don't want to start over on offense and risk bringing in someone over their head and ruining Griffin/Morris's development.  And we're going to go right back to people being scared to come here if we fire shanahan after he told us and everybody else he needed 5 years to turn in around (look at how many people he had to get rid of that our out the league right now, hell, almost as soon as he got rid of them).

I know I may be in the minority here, but Shanahan has already earned an extension.  We just need the draft picks and cap space to fix the defense, because the offense is going to be fine. I'm sure everyone is going to have their opinion, but in all honesty, Shanahan isn't going anyway this offseason.  Whether he gets an extension is up to debate, but we'd be fools not to let him finish his five years.  We'd look like Oakland again...

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

I think that with the cap penalty removed, we'll do well in terms of free agents.  I think that Shanahan can have something in place in case his fifth year doesn't work so that we aren't completely thrown for a loss.

I'd like him to stay.  But I wouldn't cry if he left.

I would cry, though, because I don't know if we have a GM who can find the next Mike Shanahan of Denver or Joe Gibbs of here.  Who makes that call?  Snyder?

Because if our next coach is chosen by Snyder, then I will buy stock in all cardiologist offices in the DC area.

Through four years with Shanahan we have seen a magical seven game stretch and nothing but ineptitude, failure, and a dash of potential.

You keep him this offseason and he will bring in more of his guys. This screws us because once he starts sucking again (which history points to unfortunately) in 2014 and is finally fired, the next guy is screwed with Shanny's guys that are signed to 4-5 year deals. 

Costs us our QB?  Griffin is going to take those hits no matter who the coach is because he wants to make plays.  We risk losing our QB to a guy who doesn't know how to develop him if we put someone else in.  The dude didn't have a playbook or play under center in college, that last thing I want to do is switch stuff up on him unless its obvious it isn't working.  That's not the case with this offense...

I said last year, no playoffs this year and he has to go. So far in 3.5 years, we have one 7 gm stretch of good play. Outside of that, we have nothing. It's time to move on. 

I especially have a problem with Haslett. Poor personal dis and horrible play calling. Nothing really inventive in the D. We are not done as last year showed us, but we have one big foot in the coffin. 

Costs us our QB?  Griffin is going to take those hits no matter who the coach is because he wants to make plays.  We risk losing our QB to a guy who doesn't know how to develop him if we put someone else in.  The dude didn't have a playbook or play under center in college, that last thing I want to do is switch stuff up on him unless its obvious it isn't working.  That's not the case with this offense...

He is talking about the reported tension between HC and QB

You fire him. No reason to give him all that money in the FA to spend on whoever he wants. He's proven to be awful at personnel decisions and his coaching has been terrible. He's the same coach who said that he doesn't mind the penalties because that means his players are being aggressive.

I want a new regime to spend the money this FA the way they see it.

The 'relationship', or widely reported from those that follow the team on a daily basis,. strained and tenuous one between HC and QB. 

Throw in all the other carnage and can you still him staying beyond his rookie contract?

Hail. 

You fire him. No reason to give him all that money in the FA to spend on whoever he wants. He's proven to be awful at personnel decisions and his coaching has been terrible. He's the same coach who said that he doesn't mind the penalties because that means his players are being aggressive.

I want a new regime to spend the money this FA the way they see it.

Through four years with Shanahan we have seen a magical seven game stretch and nothing but ineptitude, failure, and a dash of potential.

You keep him this offseason and he will bring in more of his guys. This screws us because once he starts sucking again (which history points to unfortunately) in 2014 and is finally fired, the next guy is screwed with Shanny's guys that are signed to 4-5 year deals.

Good posts. You don't give Shanahan all that money going into a lame duck year. It's insane.

The problem with Shanahan is that it doesn't matter if the offense is pretty good a lot of the time--because the rest of the team's issues fall on him as well, he chooses his assistant coaches and he is in control of personnel.

And he's failed.

The 'relationship', or widely reported from those that follow the team on a daily basis,. strained and tenuous one between HC and QB. 

Throw in all the other carnage and can you still him staying beyond his rookie contract?

Hail. 

No one likes losing, but I believe that's about 10% true and 90% media driven BS.  You haven't gotten to that bridge yet, and if it comes to that, franchise Griffin and fire shanahan.  That's not what we're dealing with right now, that's just people wanting every more reason under the sun to blow this team up.  Again.

No one likes losing, but I believe that's about 10% true and 90% media driven BS.  You haven't gotten to that bridge yet, and if it comes to that, franchise Griffin and fire shanahan.  That's not what we're dealing with right now, that's just people wanting every more reason under the sun to blow this team up.  Again.

You honestly think, given everything that's gone on, given everything that the insiders/ beat guys say on the subject, that there's a good relationship between Coach and QB? 

It's a 'working' one at best. 

Hail. 

We've had two seasons and one playoff appearance with Griffin at QB.

We've had four seasons and one playoff appearance with Mike at HC.

If it really comes down to one of those two, you franchise tag Robert and throw out the Shanahans. Players come before scheme.

I would cry, though, because I don't know if we have a GM who can find the next Mike Shanahan of Denver or Joe Gibbs of here.  Who makes that call?  Snyder?

Because if our next coach is chosen by Snyder, then I will buy stock in all cardiologist offices in the DC area.

If something happens with Shanny, Bruce Allen needs to be given total and complete control on hiring the next coach.  I don't want Snyder anywhere near that decision.  Give Bruce full control, and let him do his job.

You honestly think, given everything that's gone on, given everything that the insiders/ beat guys say on the subject, that there's a good relationship between Coach and QB? 

It's a 'working' one at best. 

Hail. 

Smh, he'll get over not playing in the preseason.  I don't care if they write each Christmas cards, I wasn't best friends with all my managers.  But I had a few that made sense.  They get along on the sidelines, and I watch them communicate cordially all the time, even with Kyle.  People are going to say what they want to say, but I don't SEE it.

If something happens with Shanny, Bruce Allen needs to be given total and complete control on hiring the next coach. I don't want Snyder anywhere near that decision. Give Bruce full control, and let him do his job.

What makes you think Bruce Allen is qualified to make that decision, either?

We need a real personnel man as GM, and he needs to choose his staff.

Allen's best attribute is repairing alumni relations.

Bruce Allan wants to be NOWHERE near Coach or player acquisitions. 

Hail. 

Fine, then let him decide who does want to be near it.  The guy is the closest thing to a manager of people we have had since Gibbs.  Gibbs was a master of knowing what he was good at, and putting other people in place to do the things he wasn't good at.  

Hire a GM for personnel decisions who answers to Bruce not Snyder.  

We just need the draft picks and cap space to fix the defense, because the offense is going to be fine.

Yeah... about that.... we should all take a good hard look in the mirror and admit that we screwed up the RG3 draft, partially because of the outcry that we NEEDED a franchise QB and he was our only choice.  Russell Wilson plus the first rounds picks > RG3.  Hell, Kirk Cousins plus our first rounds picks very well may be > RG3.  RG3 may end up being a find player, but he is not the once in a generation savior we all thought he was two years ago. 

This whole thing is just sad. From the Seattle game to this. It's a mess. I was so hype for this season. I brought all this gear and tickets. I thought we had turned the corner. I guess not. I don't know if you can fix this team/organization. I feel so hopeless as a fan right now.

How did we lost that game.SMDH!

Archived