Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Have To Keep The Shanahans...

Renegade7

Keep the Shanahans for 2014??? (Public Poll)  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shanahan be allow to finish his 5 year contract even if we don't make the playoffs in 2013?

Alright...since you can't be convinced that year 4 is not finished then you go ahead and rant on and on about FOUR YEARS.. You may as well just say all 5 years of his tenure have been bad. And ignore the fact that one of the 3 complete seasons was in fact a Division championship. we should also pretend like that didn't happen.

clearly if you are going to choose to ignore the good. focus only on the bad. and then exaggerate that. I can see how folks reach a particular conclusion

If you're holding out hope for any this season, well yeah, we just disagree there. 

The Division championship was great dude. Best season of my life, which is extremely sad and depressing. But it comes off as flukey (and know you'll disagree), especially with this season. An aberration and nothing more. Jim Zorn had a hell of an eight game stretch, except his was at the beginning of the season. 

I'm not saying things are worse off but they are not significantly better IMO. 

What am I exaggerating btw?

dude, learn to count. and be honest that year 3 was hardly a "failure"

see my other response to you. 

....wow lol.

You are probably a very intense dude in real life arent you?

When it comes to the Redskins yes.  January 1992 was the last time we were undisputed KINGS of the National Football League.  Its been 21 years and counting.  How much longer do we need to wait?

In 2005 and 2012...fatal flaws kept us from sealing the deal.  But I truly believed the 2013 season could parallel 1991-1992 in that we were 10-6 and showed that when RGIII was healthy WE COULD NOT BE BEATEN.  WE HAD SEATTLE BY THE JUGULAR AND LET THEM GO!

Now this behavior has become accepted and is happening frequently (2 of the last 3 weeks)...we "let em off the hook" as Denny Green once said.  NO HEART.  NO GUTS.  NO BALLS.

To me that shows that this team is not willing to FIGHT WITH EVERY INCH OF THEIR HEART AND SOUL for victory.  And that ultimately falls on them not respecting Shanahan.

Most coaches don't sniff a third year? And those are franchises who continue to lose that is my point what do you not understand? Sure lets fire a coach every 3-4 years if we don't have instant success because that will lead us to the superbowl........

This isn't a sprint it's a marathon you're going to have years where you are terrible if things are improving (even if you aren't having instant success) you stick with it. Once things aren't improving but are getting worse (Haslett) that's when you terminate the coach.

You even admitted things are better than they were 5-7 years ago so that proves you agree with me things have improved which means you would be insane to terminate something that is improving simply because it's not improving fast enough.

So when you fire shanahan and hire a new coach and if that coach doesn't improve fast enough in 4 years you want to terminate him again? by then RGIII is in year 6-7 of his career asking to be traded because we're a mess.

The problem is the defense we need to fix the defense....He needs to be terminated and players on defense need to be replaced, you keep the rest of the coaching staff intact because they have improved the offense but you totally rebuild the defense. 

SF 

Mike Nolan 2005-2008. Fired after going 18-37.

Mike Singletary 2008-2010. Fired after going 18-22

John Harbaugh..... 

Coaches that stick around for a while, stick around because they win in the first 2-3 seasons. Simple as that. If you don't cut it, then you're fired. The reason why teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, and the like go through coaches like candy is because they struggle to find the right guy (how many guys that get fired by teams like that get picked up by other squads?) and I think that's our problem as well. Instead of blaming us for not giving enough time, maybe we are just constantly messing up the selection process?

And like I said in a previous post, improving from **** to crap is not satisfying to me. We are not miles ahead of where we were pre-Shanahan. Sorry. 

If you're holding out hope for any this season, well yeah, we just disagree there.

The Division championship was great dude. Best season of my life, which is extremely sad and depressing. But it comes off as flukey (and know you'll disagree), especially with this season. An aberration and nothing more. Jim Zorn had a hell of an eight game stretch, except his was at the beginning of the season.

I'm not saying things are worse off but they are not significantly better IMO.

What am I exaggerating btw?

see my other response to you.

I'm not holding out hope for a division championship this year. I haven't been for a while. But on the heels of THAT season I am not ready to ignore it happened 9 games into the following year. if we finish 3-13 I'd probably think it was time to move on. I don't expect that to happen anymore than you expect 10-6.

we have created a system where we'll probably have a top 5 runner 2 years in a row. Last year he may have benefited from the Griffin threat. I don't think anyone feels that way. we have a franchise LT in my opinion.(that pick was not a no brainer by the way). We have good pieces in Garcon and Reed. And we have a qb that is certainly someone I would want going forward. the other side of the ball needs work. I hope we show discipline with hall and orakpo. I hope we invite london back for alumni day. I like amerson, I like Kerrigan, and I'd like to see Thomas.

the fire guys can't even agree on how to move forward. says there is no clear option.

you spoke too soon about ravens.

I feel like this whole debate is dependent on how you view "7-0" from last season. I view it as a fluke in the same vein of the Wildcat Dolphins thus I see Shanahan as fool's gold

If you view it as an accurate depiction of the team and the staff then you have reason to want him to stay I guess. 

I'm not holding out hope for a division championship this year. I haven't been for a while. But on the heels of THAT season I am not ready to ignore it happened 9 games into the following year. if we finish 3-13 I'd probably think it was time to move on. I don't expect that to happen anymore than you expect 10-6.

we have created a system where we'll probably have a top 5 runner 2 years in a row. Last year he may have benefited from the Griffin threat. I don't think anyone feels that way. we have a franchise LT in my opinion.(that pick was not a no brainer by the way). We have good pieces in Garcon and Reed. And we have a qb that is certainly someone I would want going forward. the other side of the ball needs work. I hope we show discipline with hall and orakpo. I hope we invite london back for alumni day. I like amerson, I like Kerrigan, and I'd like to see Thomas.
the fire guys can't even agree on how to move forward. says there is no clear option.

you spoke too soon about ravens.

I know lmaoooo.

Wow. 

I feel like this whole debate is dependent on how you view "7-0" from last season. I view it as a fluke in the same vein of the Wildcat Dolphins thus I see Shanahan as fool's gold

If you view it as an accurate depiction of the team and the staff then you have reason to want him to stay I guess.

I know lmaoooo.

Wow.

I have reason to let the season finish at least. Morris is not a gimmick. Reed isn't a gimmick. and I don't think Griffin is a gimmick either.

I have reason to let the season finish at least. Morris is not a gimmick. Reed isn't a gimmick. and I don't think Griffin is a gimmick either.

I can understand your first sentence.

But I don't think any of those guys are gimmicks but a new unheralded scheme was able to mask a lot issues that are on display in 2013 like the OL and to a lesser extent, the defense.

SF 

Mike Nolan 2005-2008. Fired after going 18-37.

Mike Singletary 2008-2010. Fired after going 18-22

John Harbaugh..... 

Coaches that stick around for a while, stick around because they win in the first 2-3 seasons. Simple as that. If you don't cut it, then you're fired. The reason why teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, and the like go through coaches like candy is because they struggle to find the right guy (how many guys that get fired by teams like that get picked up by other squads?) and I think that's our problem as well. Instead of blaming us for not giving enough time, maybe we are just constantly messing up the selection process?

And like I said in a previous post, improving from **** to crap is not satisfying to me. We are not miles ahead of where we were pre-Shanahan. Sorry. 

So you're telling me our problem is our coaching selection? Dude picking a coach is like picking a QB it's just luck man, there's no formula for a successful head coach man you're thinking too much.

Like I said when have you known a washington franchise to select a coach and find consistent instant success? Wizards? NO, Capitals? NO, Nationals? NO, DC United? NO.

So you're banking your decision off of the 49ers finding lighting in a bottle by hiring harbaugh? Heck why don't we just continue hiring and firing coaches until one of them finds instant success because that's what we used to do here and the football got so bad this happened.

24-0 at halftime verse the giants on monday night football and our only offensive weapon that year was hunter the punter. Would you like to go back to that type of football? because hiring a new regime could very well bring jim zorn 2.0 buddy. 

So you're telling me our problem is our coaching selection? Dude picking a coach is like picking a QB it's just luck man, there's no formula for a successful head coach man you're thinking too much.

Like I said when have you known a washington franchise to select a coach and find consistent instant success? Wizards? NO, Capitals? NO, Nationals? NO, DC United? NO.

So you're banking your decision off of the 49ers finding lighting in a bottle by hiring harbaugh? Heck why don't we just continue hiring and firing coaches until one of them finds instant success because that's what we used to do here and the football got so bad this happened.

24-0 at halftime verse the giants on monday night football and our only offensive weapon that year was hunter the punter. Would you like to go back to that type of football? because hiring a new regime could very well bring jim zorn 2.0 buddy. 

What is with you and Zorn? EVERYONE knows that era was awful. No is disputing that. Being slightly better than that is not impressive. That's an awful measuring stick.

And no **** there is luck involved in coaching searches but that doesn't take away from the fact that a team can just suck at finding coaches. 

What is with you and Zorn? EVERYONE knows that era was awful. No is disputing that. Being slightly better than that is not impressive. That's an awful measuring stick.

And no **** there is luck involved in coaching searches but that doesn't take away from the fact that a team can just suck at finding coaches. 

Wait so are you saying we suck at finding head coaches? If that's the case why do you want to fire a proven winner in this league to go do what "We suck at" finding a head coach? 

I think we should keep the current coaching staff but I can't lie boy would it be hilarious to see a new regime picked by the greatest football mind of all time "Daniel Snyder". 

Yea lets fire Mike Shanahan a 3 time superbowl champion who will make the hall of a fame who has drafted some great talent here, though he hasn't won as many games as we would like and let Daniel Snyder go coach hunting I wonder if he'll give a call to his best friend Vinny Cerato for football advice? Because we know Daniel Snyder is amazing when he is making football decisions..........

I can understand your first sentence.

But I don't think any of those guys are gimmicks but a new unheralded scheme was able to mask a lot issues that are on display in 2013 like the OL and to a lesser extent, the defense.

Morris is on a very similar pace this year and it has nothing to do with whatever an unheralded scheme is.

I would bet a dollar that with a full cap we would have at least one different starter on the offensive line. And 2 or 3 on defense.

Wait so are you saying we suck at finding head coaches? If that's the case why do you want to fire a proven winner in this league to go do what "We suck at" finding a head coach? 

I think we should keep the current coaching staff but I can't lie boy would it be hilarious to see a new regime picked by the greatest football mind of all time "Daniel Snyder". 

Yea lets fire Mike Shanahan a 3 time superbowl champion who will make the hall of a fame who has drafted some great talent here, though he hasn't won as many games as we would like and let Daniel Snyder go coach hunting I wonder if he'll give a call to his best friend Vinny Cerato for football advice? Because we know Daniel Snyder is amazing when he is making football decisions..........

yep. we're done here lol

And not to mention you're talking about how horrible to be if Snyder was picking coaches when it was his idea to bring in Shanahan, who's a proven winner and all that. 

Just stop it dude. The hyperbole is too much. It's comical

yep. we're done here lol

And not to mention you're talking about how horrible to be if Snyder was picking coaches when it was his idea to bring in Shanahan, who's a proven winner and all that. 

Just stop it dude. The hyperbole is too much. It's comical

He begged shanahan to coach, they are friends you do know that right? He begged Shanahan because he couldn't find a coach because nobody want's to work for Snyder, he is jerry jones without the billion dollar stadium and the superbowl rings. Shanahan told him i'll do you a favor and come coach if you give me 5 years let me do what I want and shut up and let me work.

Go ahead fire Shanahan lets go let Daniel Snyder "The Football Genius" go find his own coach this should be HILARIOUS to watch. hahahaha 

To those preaching continuity, I think it's dangerous to extend a highly paid, underperforming coach with that as the top reason. We are better than Zorn, yes. Why settle for that when there are teams all over the league who turn it around almost immediately?

I cannot sit here and guarantee that the next regime will be better, but I'm happy to roll the dice. I'm not too concerned that we are giving up on a coach who will average 7 wins per year and rise up for a good season every 3-4 years.

Why are Shanny supporters saying if we fire him, we have to start from scratch? Let's see, this league is a QB league and we seem to have one. There's also a star RB, good WR, beast TE, and awesome LT. That's a great building block.

Also, it seems like we are pretty much at the beginning of rebuilding steps with Shanny. After 4 years, the OL is still awful, DL is still awful, MLBs are weak, safeties are awful, kicker can't kickoff, punter can't punt, no kick returner, no punt returner, awful DC, awful special teams coach, OC is Jackle & Hyde from half to half, undisciplined team. That's a lot of holes after 4 years.

I voted YES and here is why.

3.5 years into a 5 year process starting with a hollow shell of a roster, lockout, cap hell for 2 years, and a QB with no offseason.

If you are discounting the effects these FACTS had on building the team then you are being disingenious.

If you think the roster he inherited could compete for a SB, let alone just a div title, you are delusional.

The roster is improving with geniune young talent and depth, and there is stability with the franchise. The team is no longer the laughing stock of the league or where players go to get paid.

It's gone from catching lightning in a bottle every now and then to being able to compete every week and expecting to win.

I'd like to see a 1 yr extension and as close to a normal offeason as possible with a full salary cap (no #1 in the draft but that is the price they paid to get the franchise).

Speaking of the franchise, how good is he going to be in year 3 with a full offseason and CONTINUITY under his belt.

If no serious improvement after the full 5 years then buy him out of the last year.

This doesn't mean though that I am sold on the entire staff. No. 1 priority is a new D coordinator, and no. 2 is a new ST coach.

I voted YES and here is why.

3.5 years into a 5 year process starting with a hollow shell of a roster, lockout, cap hell for 2 years, and a QB with no offseason.

If you are discounting the effects these FACTS had on building the team then you are being disingenious.

If you think the roster he inherited could compete for a SB, let alone just a div title, you are delusional.

The roster is improving with geniune young talent and depth, and there is stability with the franchise. The team is no longer the laughing stock of the league or where players go to get paid.

It's gone from catching lightning in a bottle every now and then to being able to compete every week and expecting to win.

I'd like to see a 1 yr extension and as close to a normal offeason as possible with a full salary cap (no #1 in the draft but that is the price they paid to get the franchise).

Speaking of the franchise, how good is he going to be in year 3 with a full offseason and CONTINUITY under his belt.

If no serious improvement after the full 5 years then buy him out of the last year.

This doesn't mean though that I am sold on the entire staff. No. 1 priority is a new D coordinator, and no. 2 is a new ST coach.

Thank you, you took the worlds right out of my mouth.

I see improvements in the organization even if it hasn't shown up consistently in W's and L's yet.

New Grass, Franchise QB, More Talent on the roster, Drafts are actually productive and we're actually looking at improving facilities/weight room.

This team will be a winner next year, there are a few players who have made the roster when they shouldn't have simply because of the cap penalty.

Kendrick Golston, Tyler Polumbus, Jose Gumbs, Josh Morgan, Jerome Murphy,Bryan Kehl,Josh Wilson,Brandon Meriweather,Ej Biggers to name a few off the top of my head.

Archived