Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Have To Keep The Shanahans...

Renegade7

Keep the Shanahans for 2014??? (Public Poll)  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shanahan be allow to finish his 5 year contract even if we don't make the playoffs in 2013?

The entire coaching staff has to go and ASAP!

If your argument is that the Shanahans are doing everything right on offense, then your argument is flawed to say the least.

First and foremost Mike Shanahan is the HC, he brought in Jim Haslett and Keith Burns ( a last name that couldn't be more appropriate ).

Mike Shanahan and his son are going to shorten if not end the career of RGIII in short order if there isn't a wholesale change and soon.

Surely there are enough homers in the fanbase that will make the same tired excuses.

It was officiating

It was the cap penalty

We don't have the right personel for the 3-4 defense yet

If we only had another good corner, safety, RT, G, C, IML.

If only we had a better pass rush

If the receivers would stop dropping passes

If we just wait for RGIII to play into form

player X or Y is the reasons for this or that

Poor tackling

No coverage in the secondary

Lack of a true #1

There are NO EXCUSES anymore

Mike Shanahan is the source of all the problems

He had a subpar defense in Denver and showed latent disregard for players health there too.

Example: Terrel Davis during a Super Bowl was sent in although he was seeing double and suffering a debilitating migrane which was causing the double vision. He was sent in as a decoy.

Fast forward to 2012 playoff game against the Seahawks:

During the second offensive series RGIII gets blasted while running towards the sideline so badly he can hardly walk back to the huddle with a noticeable limp on an already badly injured knee.

After scoring a second TD to put us up by 14 instead of taking him out of the game and putting in Kirk Cousins, who if put in would have continued to dominate with an offense ready to do so and a defense that had found it's stride that season going into the playoffs.

Well, we all know what happened.

Mikey's press conference after the game and continuing narrative in the offseason and into training camp until know still he claims his decision was based on the fact that his ROY QB insisted on being able to play.

So why is he head coach?? When he allows his players to make the decisions so crucial to that player, the team and the franchise if he defers those crucial decisions to his players. Making hard and crucial decisions are the sole responsibility of the head coach.

Again in the offseason he allowed his brand new star QB to control to narrative about whether he would be the starter of the regular season. Instead of quashing that notion he let it get out of control to the point that the rest of the team was overwhelmed with uncertainty and instability, got overshadowed and diminished in the overwhelming profile of RGIII's knee and whether he would start. All they were asked about was RGIII and his knee and whether he would be able to start, when at the same time so many other players had fought their way back from considerable injury only to find that their stories didn't matter.

Following his MO, he didn't put a definitive punctuation mark to end that speculation and make it clear that RGIII would not be ready to start the season because he is the future of the team and the bigger picture, the future and health of his player was more important that stroking his ego and putting him at risk. Not to mention the distraction it was causing among RGIII's team mates. He didn't through his actions show that this is a team sport and no individual player should get special treatment.

Let's be honest here, just how much worse off would we have been if Kirk Cousins and the team as a whole had the assurance that Kirk was the starter and RGIII would have to wait maybe till the middle of the season if then to play.

The benefits to a decision based in reason and rationality would have produced never to be known benefits or shown areas that needed more attention without putting RGIII in harms way and dashing the teams chances to begin a season without having to face ever game as a must win.

Failed. Mikey is a failure. Mikey is the problem.

Mike Shanahan brought in with him to Washington Jim Haslett who keeps saying we are almost there with personnel for the 3-4. Bull hockey to that, he has more than enough already and more than the Vikings had last night, a better secondary than Denver has or for that matter Dallas has.

Mike Shanahan brought in his son Kyle to be the OC, who has had second half implosions a handful of times this season already and only for the freewheeling style of play which came with RGIII masked his incompetence last season.

Mike Shanahan got rid of Danny Smith, a decision gleefully welcomed among the same homers that will jump my bones immediately following my post to bring in Keith Burns. A coach with a last name that defines his lack of contributions to his 1/3 responsibilty for our teams ineptitudes this season to say the least.

Mike Shanahan continues to say we must move on to the next game and work to get better.

Perhaps Danny should heed his coaches words and move on with a new coaching staff and work to get better and all the while keep our young QB from getting killed or having a foreshortened career.

No more excuses. No more wait and see. No more tolerating third rate defenses or bird brained offensive game plans that abadon what is working for what isn't. No more complete collapses with respectable leads going into halftime.No more terrible clock management at the end of the half or the end of a game when we are more than able to get better scoring opportunites.

No more!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

A move our 3 time Super Bowl winning coach that is idolized in this town agreed with and history suggests would've done as well. I think you're crazy if you're believing that a brand new coach in here, faced with that same situation, is going to bench their star QB whose EXTREMELY competitive.

Not to mention, the argument I was respond to was talking about issues of friction. Which...let's be frank, any said "friction" would likely be significantly worse if the head coached benches RG3 in such a situation. He was reportedly ticked off and angry of being sat for the regular season cleveland game immediete following a point where he looked more injured then he did at the midway point of the Seattle game. You think there's not going to be "friction" if you bench him in the middle of a home playoff game when the team is in the lead?

To me that showed Shanny doesn't have the balls to handle a player like RGIII.  I knowGibbs would have sat him.  At that point friction is the last thing on your mind.  It's about doing what's best for the franchise and the player.  RGIII maybe would have been upset for a day or two but would have thanked Shanny for looking out for his health eventually.

Running the ball 9x in the 2nd half and only putting up 3 points is "all we could do"?  On what planet?

We ran 6 times on our second to last drive alone, and still came away with a 37/36 pass/run split for the game.  27 points should be enough, but I'm more mad about the number of drives in the second half that got ended because of interior oline collapsing.  We didn't give up on the run, we again couldn't substain drives to keep running, one example being how we started the 4th quarter with two stright runs then two straight sacks.

A move our 3 time Super Bowl winning coach that is idolized in this town agreed with and history suggests would've done as well. I think you're crazy if you're believing that a brand new coach in here, faced with that same situation, is going to bench their star QB whose EXTREMELY competitive.

Not to mention, the argument I was respond to was talking about issues of friction. Which...let's be frank, any said "friction" would likely be significantly worse if the head coached benches RG3 in such a situation. He was reportedly ticked off and angry of being sat for the regular season cleveland game immediete following a point where he looked more injured then he did at the midway point of the Seattle game. You think there's not going to be "friction" if you bench him in the middle of a home playoff game when the team is in the lead?

Handling "Friction" is why he is paid the big bucks in the big leagues.

Within your own excusatory argument lies the contradiction, and I am paraphrasing here," He RGIII) was reportedly ticked off and angry of being sat in Cleveland...where he looked more injured than during the playoff game."

All the more reason to pull him from the playoff game since he was already so injured.

Why take a chance on ruining his career and his health going forward. Those are the kind of decisions that good head coaches make.

Mikey is not a good head coach here.

This offense is putting up points again. I know it seems crazy, but 28 points is enough to beat the Vikings. THIS DEFENSE IS INHERENTLY FLAWED. Why are we trading a couple pick sixes for constant shootouts, long drives, bad tacking, penalties, and GIVING UNCONTESTED FIRST DOWNS. This offense would be completely different and RG3 would be shielded more if he weren't forced into SHOOTOUTS. We go up a couple scores and the defense makes key stops, then our running game finishes it off. When we grab a lead and the defense lets them back just because of the offense punts one or two times, it forces Kyle to go into passing mode.

I'd like to address the salary cap penalty as it relates to the defense.......if there was no penalty, our defense would still be awful....what changes would have been made anyway?   we would have let Hall go and spent money on a CB....would he have played better then Hall?  unlikely....maybe they would have spent money on a free safety....other then that; this would have been the same personnel.

Shanny's scheme....Shanny's coaches....Shanny's personnel....

Goodbye, Mike!

This whole thing is just sad. From the Seattle game to this. It's a mess. I was so hype for this season. I brought all this gear and tickets. I thought we had turned the corner. I guess not. I don't know if you can fix this team/organization. I feel so hopeless as a fan right now.

How did we lost that game.SMDH!

I feel the same way. You would think after being a fan for fifty years, I would learn to temper my enthusiasm. But I got caught up in the run last year and expected big things this year. I told my wife that I am sick of the Shanny clan but he will be back next year along with Haslett. They will address the problem areas in free agency and give it one more run. If its a good one ,Shanny stays. If not ,prepare to track Snyder's jet. As far as the remaining season ,I hope the team keeps playing hard and up to its potential. There isn't much we can do as far players. It is what it is.

As always "Hail to the REDSKINS".

Let him finish his contract in a non-salary cap penalized season.... without Jim Haslett.

Orakpo and Kerrigan should have a hand on the turf. Riley and Jackson should be starting. Fletcher should be moved to LB coach position and two more safeties brought in. Use every draft pick available (are there any left?) on offensive linemen.

If we don't make the 2nd round of the 2014 postseason, you find a new staff.

(I have no answers for special teams. It's just been too long since I've had a good example on which to base an opinion. We're horrid there. So horrid I don't know what will fix it.)

It should be pretty obvious that the offense is better. There seems to be enough plays to win most games we play. Defenses adjust at half time and play better against us, and thats acceptable. Problem here is, OURS does'nt ! We have a first half defense that plays fairly tough when fresh. Come second half completely absent.  The Shanahans have produced an offense that looks like it will contend for a while. The defensive talent is where they dropped the ball. Still not enough speed for the 3/4. Oh , and a DC that can't make ANY adjustments. The Shannys should stay because they've shown they can put together an offense, but Haslett has had his chance and has clearly shown no ability to improve this defense even when all of his players are healthy.

Recap :   Offense improving, defense not.                      Its science

I will give Shanahan credit for doing what he could with regards to the cap, etc.

And I also give him kudos for redirecting a totally dysfunctional organization, (Thanks Vinny),

but I also believe we need to take it a step farther.

Our player discipline in regards to penalties really sucks.

Our defense is embarrassing, and yes some of it has to do with the quality of players,

but Haslett just doesnt seem to have the skills anymore to call the defensive schemes, nor make adjustments.

Personally, I would love to see a coach with some fire. Every time I see Shanahan, he looks like he is waiting

for the next bingo number to be called.

Some head coach that will instill that killer instinct in all the coaches. Be agressive in all phases of the game.

All that said, I would not like a change to be made in mid season, but do agree with others in that a new coach should be hired sooner, rather then later, and mainly for the reasons mentioned regarding the free agency period (more cap room) and the draft is suppose to

be heavy with WR  and DB talent.

Then he can use free agency to enhance the OL.

I'd like to address the salary cap penalty as it relates to the defense.......if there was no penalty, our defense would still be awful....what changes would have been made anyway?   we would have let Hall go and spent money on a CB....would he have played better then Hall?  unlikely....maybe they would have spent money on a free safety....other then that; this would have been the same personnel.

Shanny's scheme....Shanny's coaches....Shanny's personnel....

Goodbye, Mike!

Agreed, but Shannys offense obviously can win games, its his choice of Haslett as DC that is the big blunder here. Fix that NOW and maybe by next season this team has the balance it needs to hang with the good teams. Consistently.

I think both the Shanahans needs to be given another year.

Haslett needs to go, and we need to find a Kicker that can kick FGs and kick it out of the end zone. I like Kai and all but we are constantly giving our opponents good field position.

As much as it would so awesome to go on another run like last year, I think I would rather NOT and see Haslett fired.

I'm actually looking forward to next season, pieces that we fans love will be gone and for good reason.

Fletcher and Moss need to go. I think the fact that Fletcher is still starting shows how bad our situation is.... seriously 7/7 74 yards and a TD to Carlson...guy was just wide open every damn time.

I think both the Shanahans needs to be given another year.

Haslett needs to go, and we need to find a Kicker that can kick FGs and kick it out of the end zone. I like Kai and all but we are constantly giving our opponents good field position.

As much as it would so awesome to go on another run like last year, I think I would rather NOT and see Haslett fired.

I feel you may get your wish!

Losing a game like that is totally unacceptable. Your on the road to a 1&7 team, playing against one of 3 unsure QB's. You have to be able to dial up enough blitzes to shake him up and force turn overs. They did'nt have a Tom Brady or Peyton that will burn you every time you blitz, grow some balls Haslett and put your job on the line with BLITZES! Your Def. can't get any worse, can it? OK so you had one magical goal line stand against San Diego. I guess you can hang your 2013 hat on that series. Unfortunately, the fans won't.

Bye Bye H

The 'relationship', or widely reported from those that follow the team on a daily basis,. strained and tenuous one between HC and QB. 

Throw in all the other carnage and can you still him staying beyond his rookie contract?

Hail. 

If it is true that RG3 isn't getting along with Kyle or Mike.?. Then Kyle or Mike should be gone imho. If there is no problem with RG3 and the coaching staff then I think we should let Mike keep his job until his contract is up.

HTTR

Also another thought for those that want Shanny gone...the skins has been garbage the last 2 decades because of the constant carousel at HC.

Regime 1 Draft Players for his system

Player doesnt fit system for Regime 2. He trade/cut and draft his own guys.

Regime 3 rinse and repeat.

Without the ZBS how will Morris/Helu play like?

If we go to another blocking scheme, you can pretty much count that beside Trent, the others wont cut it.

Also another thought for those that want Shanny gone...the skins has been garbage the last 2 decades because of the constant carousel at HC.

Regime 1 Draft Players for his system

Player doesnt fit system for Regime 2. He trade/cut and draft his own guys.

Regime 3 rinse and repeat.

Without the ZBS how will Morris/Helu play like?

If we go to another blocking scheme, you can pretty much count that beside Trent, the others wont cut it.

Let's keep going 3-6 to start the season because we're too scared to let go of what we have.

Archived