Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Have To Keep The Shanahans...

Renegade7

Keep the Shanahans for 2014??? (Public Poll)  

353 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shanahan be allow to finish his 5 year contract even if we don't make the playoffs in 2013?

Yeah... about that.... we should all take a good hard look in the mirror and admit that we screwed up the RG3 draft, partially because of the outcry that we NEEDED a franchise QB and he was our only choice. Russell Wilson plus the first rounds picks > RG3. Hell, Kirk Cousins plus our first rounds picks very well may be > RG3. RG3 may end up being a find player, but he is not the once in a generation savior we all thought he was two years ago.

You have no idea what he is or isn't going to be, and to pretend otherwise would be asinine.

Shanny must go.    This is the right time in Robert's career for a new head coach. 

Shanny is probably the most overrated coach of all time.   He's done jack since he won the Superbowls with Elway.  All, he did was give Elway the missing pieces to get him a Superbowl victory.  After Elway left, he's done nothing.

ES last week - "playoff push time."

ES this week - "Fire everybody"

This board, I swear. Cap penalty is showing its effect on the defense and our interior offensive line. I'm fine with what shanny has done since he's got here, he was handed a trash dump and has managed to at least get us competitive again. I think a lot of you forget just how bad this team was when he got here.

This board, I swear. Cap penalty is showing its effect on the defense and our interior offensive line. I'm fine with what shanny has done since he's got here, he was handed a trash dump and has managed to at least get us competitive again. I think a lot of you forget just how bad this team was when he got here.

We here hoped that winning would cure everything but clearly it didn't.  You needed to back last year with a strong showing but clearly they didn't

The 'relationship', or widely reported from those that follow the team on a daily basis,. strained and tenuous one between HC and QB. 

Throw in all the other carnage and can you still him staying beyond his rookie contract?

Hail. 

After the 1st quarter of the New Orleans game, I became worried that RG3 will "LeBron" us. 

As a whole; this is not a good coaching staff....it's good if you compare it to the Zorn era.

I've been leaning towards giving Shanny a 1 year extension and all ow him to spend money in free agency, but I'm having serious doubts.

It might be better to allow a new coach to spend that money.

This is not because of the loss this week  You Have to look at the facts:

-Two blown second half double digit leads one by 14 points one by 13 points. 

- Year in and Year out undisciplined football (penalties)  

- Coaching staff moves particularly Coach Burns who took a subpar special teams unit and turned them into pure garbage

- His relationship with RG III (You can't have a head coach and QB not get along and expect to win football games)

- Piss poor clock management in Dallas (embarrassment on National TV I think a middle school football coach could have displayed better clock management) 

- The lack of urgency in and out of the huddle we have all seen it down 10 points with 9:00 left and we are taking are time.

- On the verge of your third double digit losing season out of four years 

-CAP penalty is just an excuse.  Example New England before Gronk came back all rookie WR's and unsigned free agents subpar defense  

If we would go into our jobs and put forth a 65% effort what do you think would happen.  Most likely we would get fired.  The NFL is a win now what have you done for me lately league.   Losing teams make excuses and right now we are full of them. 

The team isn't good. They can't hold leads, stop a crappy qb, make bonehead penalties and just are not prepared to play week in and week out. They are incredibly inconsistent and I laugh at the notion that this team could make a push.

It's been the same deal for 4 years now aside from a stretch last year. Kyle should be fired for that horrible fade call last night... Worse play call possible. Just god awful.

Fire Shanny and for all I care, take Bruce with him. They haven't done squat.

You're missing the point.  I don't give a damn about how bad we were when he got here, the cap penalty or any other excuse you people make.  Competitive AIN'T good enough!  Should have won last night but again we failed to make any halftime adjustments what so ever.  I guess we thought the Vikings would keep playing exactly the same and let us blow them out.  Dude, if you can't see that it's time to get a new coaching staff from top to bottom then please choose another sport to watch, because this sport is just too complicated for you to understand.  I'm TIRED of ALL the excuses you all make about the Shanahans.  It's a joke.

Yes, with the caveat that he fire Haslett.  Haslett must go.  I think the offense as it is is salvageable for a serious run, but Haslett is never going to lead this defensive unit to stardom.  Never

My thoughts exactly. Yes the offense stopped in the 4th Q, again. This is a serious issue--but it's more the product of execution than scheme and play calling. We still put up 27 points and ~450 yards. I cannot see how this is Kyle's fault.

Here's the stat that kills me:

The Vikings had 8 drives. Scored on 6 of them. SIX. With Christian Ponder. 75% of the time our defense was totally unable to make a stop. Orakpo was invisible beyond the 1st series, Kerrigan was pretty much invisible. The DL, invisible. Haslett HAS to go.

If the Houston staff is canned and we do not bring in Wade Phillips, I will pitch a fit.

I'm sorry, but we did everything we could offensively to win this football game tonight.  

Bulls***.  We did everything we could offensively to be leading at halftime.  We didn't do S*** offensively in the second half.  The game is 60 minutes man.  Not 30.

This is not because of the loss this week  You Have to look at the facts:

-Two blown second half double digit leads one by 14 points one by 13 points. 

- Year in and Year out undisciplined football (penalties)  

- Coaching staff moves particularly Coach Burns who took a subpar special teams unit and turned them into pure garbage

- His relationship with RG III (You can't have a head coach and QB not get along and expect to win football games)

- Piss poor clock management in Dallas (embarrassment on National TV I think a middle school football coach could have displayed better clock management) 

- The lack of urgency in and out of the huddle we have all seen it down 10 points with 9:00 left and we are taking are time.

- On the verge of your third double digit losing season out of four years 

-CAP penalty is just an excuse.  Example New England before Gronk came back all rookie WR's and unsigned free agents subpar defense  

If we would go into our jobs and put forth a 65% effort what do you think would happen.  Most likely we would get fired.  The NFL is a win now what have you done for me lately league.   Losing teams make excuses and right now we are full of them. 

Keep preaching man.  You're spot on.  I can't believe there are Redskin fans who can't see this.

Fine, then let him decide who does want to be near it.  The guy is the closest thing to a manager of people we have had since Gibbs.  Gibbs was a master of knowing what he was good at, and putting other people in place to do the things he wasn't good at.  

Hire a GM for personnel decisions who answers to Bruce not Snyder.  

Here is the guys who find the late round gems and brings them to Shanny. Have them find a Coach. 

You keep him this offseason and he will bring in more of his guys. This screws us because once he starts sucking again (which history points to unfortunately) in 2014 and is finally fired, the next guy is screwed with Shanny's guys that are signed to 4-5 year deals. 

You mean his history in Denver of fielding at least 8 win teams all but 2 years (1 7 win team, 1 6 win team).  so 12 of 14 years they were .500+, 7 of those 12 they won 10+ games.

The Vikings had 8 drives. Scored on 6 of them. SIX. With Christian Ponder. 75% of the time our defense was totally unable to make a stop. Orakpo was invisible beyond the 1st series, Kerrigan was pretty much invisible. The DL, invisible. Haslett HAS to go.

Our defense can stop nobody when they MUST stop them.  Has been the story of this regime on defense.  I slept on it and I'm still feeling the same way.  The modern NFL is crazy, but you should not have to score 40 points every week to win.  The defense is horrible.  

and when I say nobody, I literally mean NOBODY.  I am convinced that in an absolute MUST stop situation, more often than not there isn't a QB on a roster in the NFL starter or backup that could not lead a game winning drive against them.  

Not one

Yes, they really are that bad.  Actually, they are worse than that even.  

Fire them all. Scoring 27 points should be enough, but if you watched the 1st half, then you'd think we'll easily score 40. Instead the offense scores 3 to start the 2nd half and gets shut out rest of the game by the 31st ranked defense.

I don't want shanny to spend all the money for the next coach. He sucks as personnel acquisition. His OL and DL are crap. Bowen and Cofield were before the cap penalty. Cofield is not a NT. There are many late round rookie OLs that are starting for other teams and playing well. His 3rd round 2nd year can't even dress for games even though the interior is awful. Also how did drafting 2 RBs last season work out?

This is a team being run by a clown and I'm ready to move on from everyone.

and when I say nobody, I literally mean NOBODY.  I am convinced that in an absolute MUST stop situation, more often than not there isn't a QB on a roster in the NFL starter or backup that could not lead a game winning drive against them.  

Not one

Yes, they really are that bad.  Actually, they are worse than that even.  

Pain, you and I see eye-to-eye on a lot of matters. I think there is an overreaction to Kyle and Mike. Haslett is the one that deserves the vitriol. That was as pathetic a showing as I have ever seen.

Pain, you and I see eye-to-eye on a lot of matters. I think there is an overreaction to Kyle and Mike. Haslett is the one that deserves the vitriol. That was as pathetic a showing as I have ever seen.

I really tried to give the guy the benefit of the doubt because of the cap penalty, but that's over.  Dead last in the league, or close to it in every statistical category is ridiculous.  There is no reason they should be as bad as they are.  We have holes, but there is enough talent on that defense to at least be top 20.  

Mike should stay unless he refuses to fire the defensive coordinator.  Let's see if he's learned from past mistakes.  

I really tried to give the guy the benefit of the doubt because of the cap penalty, but that's over.  Dead last in the league, or close to it in every statistical category is ridiculous.  There is no reason they should be as bad as they are.  We have holes, but there is enough talent on that defense to at least be top 20.  

Mike should stay unless he refuses to fire the defensive coordinator.  Let's see if he's learned from past mistakes.  

I really don't want to give Shanny the Schotty treatment, but Haslett has GOT to go. He HAS to. There is nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing he has to show that can save his job.

He must make changes to his staff ie Special Teams or he's gone. I like the personnel moves he's made they have been generally good except for McNabb. He can turn it around with an even healthier RG3 next season and some defensive moves. Sadly London is done. o real pass rush.

I really don't want to give Shanny the Schotty treatment, but Haslett has GOT to go. He HAS to. There is nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing he has to show that can save his job.

Until last night, I did not agree.  I can't defend him anymore.  Shanahan stays for at least one more year. Give him an extension, and let the offensive staff continue to work through the off-season with Robert.  

I think if we could get somebody in here to coach this defense to a middle of the pack ranking we could make a run at a Super Bowl next season.

Think about the past 20 years as a Skins fan and the coaches that have come in and out of this franchise. Shanny inherited quite a mess, but look - we've got a franchise quarterback, a top 3 RB (a 6th round pick, no less), and an offense that is built to extend leads.

Not saying Shanahan is the end all be all of coaches, but my my how quickly we forget. This team needs consistency. Good teams maintain consistency with their coaching staff. What if Shanny leaves and the next coach decides to alter the running game and shy away from zone blocking - suddenly, Morris isn't the stud he once was. RGIII has to learn a new system. New players are brought in. I'm just tired of that dog and pony show. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but, stay the course, PLEASE!

And if it costs us our QB?

Hail. 

Of course not.

Then again, we have no reasonable information to believe it's a fact that keeping Shanahan is going to "cost us" our QB.

At best we have insider reports....insider reports that frankly have just as good of a track record at being wrong as they have about being right. Those aren't facts, those are speculation.

Griffin's Rookie Contract extends for another 2 years. Then you have two potential years of Franchising him if need be.

Let's say you give Shanny a one year extension. If he comes back next year and takes a dump and the supposed "Friction" between QB and HC continues, you have the option of biting the bullet and getting rid of him.If he comes back next year and does okay and you want to keep him, then you still have those same options in that 2nd year.

If you start winning, that "friction" is likely to go away as quickly as the "we're getting rid of haslett" insider talk was dismissed and excused away. If you don't win as his contract expiration starts to happen, you dump Shanny and placate Griffin with the chance to help give a blessing to whoever the next coach is going to be.

It's ridiculous to assume that it's some forgone conclussion that keep Shanny automatically equals "lose the QB" just as it's ridiculous to suggest getting rid of him automatically equals "keep the QB". If you told me 100%, keeping Shanny means we lose RG3....yeah, I'd dump Shanny in a heart beat. But you can't tell me that. You can't even tell me REALISTICALLY, going off anything other than rumor and gut feelings, that if we keep Shanny there's a 75% chance of losing the QB. At best you can tell me it's 50/50, which is really the odds it is with ANYONE we have coaching. We can't know the future or what it's going to hold, and as we've seen NUMEROUS times the "insiders" declarations can always end up changing for a host of reasons...the least of which is simply winning.

That's a ridiculous counter argument to the "keep shanny" or "get rid of shanny" argument. Now if you want to just argue that Griffin is supposedly having friction with the coach and that's bad for the team and we should get rid of him...fine, that's reasonable. But "It'll cost us the QB?" No, that's not a reasonable counter argument unless you've suddenly gained super powers to allow you to see the future.

Archived