Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

12 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

All the reminiscing on these last couple pages has me thinking about what a letdown this generation (PS4/XB1) has been. At least for the types of games that I'm into. 

There's been some games have been mind-blowing, but overall a pretty significant flop. Unimaginative shooters. Sports games? Total **** show now.

That's a big reason that my Switch has gotten way more play time than my PS4 and X1X.

19 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

All the reminiscing on these last couple pages has me thinking about what a letdown this generation (PS4/XB1) has been. At least for the types of games that I'm into. 

There's been some games have been mind-blowing, but overall a pretty significant flop. Unimaginative shooters. Sports games? Total **** show now.

Agreed. Kinda did feel like more glam than anything substantive. Again, Alien: Isolation for sure is a hell yes. Truly grab me with an iron grip. Until Dawn and Detroit, yep. HZD feels like it could be another one, Bloodborne was great. Witcher 3 was great.

There are more games than ever that I can think of that were okay to good, and plenty that were outright letdowns. 

43 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Agreed. Kinda did feel like more glam than anything substantive. Again, Alien: Isolation for sure is a hell yes. Truly grab me with an iron grip. Until Dawn and Detroit, yep. HZD feels like it could be another one, Bloodborne was great. Witcher 3 was great.

There are more games than ever that I can think of that were okay to good, and plenty that were outright letdowns. 

There was very little new AAA IP's that came out this gen.  The only one I can think of is HZD.  I actually started it again last night because my friend keeps hyping it up and before I made ie like 90 minutes in and got bored.  So I'm trying to give it a little more time.

Other than that though, it's pretty much been sequels and HD remakes for the AAA IPs.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it just doesn't get me excited.  The outlier for me was God of War but that did NOT feel like a traditional God of War game, whereas all of these other sequels feel like the same exact game with updated graphics and a new story, but pretty much the same exact game play.  

That is why I had so much fun with PSVR and Switch.  Even though Switch also has a lot of "sequels" with their Nintendo IP's, they always feel fresh and different than the previous versions.  And we don't get a new one every 2 years or so either so they feel fresh generally speaking for that reason alone.  

Yep, I haven't played the new God of War because it didn't really look like God of War.

Open worlds are just killing me, and it's killing gaming.

I always found the concept of "Levels" more fascinating,  going all the way back to earliest gaming days on the SNES.

Demons Souls and the Tower of Latria are a pretty good example of that. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yep, I haven't played the new God of War because it didn't really look like God of War.

Open worlds are just killing me, and it's killing gaming.

I always found the concept of "Levels" more fascinating,  going all the way back to earliest gaming days on the SNES.

Demons Souls and the Tower of Latria are a pretty good example of that. 

The new God of War is probably my favorite non-PSVR PS4 game this gen.  It was so damn good.

And this is coming from someone who does not like open world games.  

8 hours ago, purbeast said:

Oh **** TLOU2 comes out tomorrow doesn't it.  

I may have to hit up Best Buy for some curb side pickup.

I would like to experience this game, but I don't have a PS4. I might need to borrow a friends' system for a while. 

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

not sure tbh, but I agree that MS lost a lot of market share on ps4. 

Granted I have all 3 current gen systems but I'd suspect Microsoft made up the difference with their online service. From what I read, the # of subscribers and users blows Sony out of the water.

27 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

$100 for a disc reader?  That doesn't seem very reasonable.

Tbf that disc reader is a 4k blu-ray player, right?

13 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Tbf that disc reader is a 4k blu-ray player, right?

in that case it’s the cheapest you can get one. The real question is if you plan to ever have a physical blu-ray disk again lol

Only place I ever see them anymore is at work. I couldn’t get all into Walmart and take you straight to them if I tried. 

Gods.....what am I becoming? 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

in that case it’s the cheapest you can get one. The real question is if you plan to ever have a physical blu-ray disk again lol

Only place I ever see them anymore is at work. I couldn’t get all into Walmart and take you straight to them if I tried. 

Gods.....what am I becoming? 

If data caps are restored soon and download speeds aren't dramatically increased in the US, I can see the physical media still being a valid option for 4k (and 8k).

3 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

$100 for a disc reader?  That doesn't seem very reasonable.

It wouldn't make sense for Sony to release a console at $499, and a digital only one for $469. Microsoft/Sony can source the disc drives for $20-30. I'm betting Sony is taking a loss on the disc-less console if they really are pricing it at $399. $400 is much more palatable than $500 for cost-conscious consumers, and I'm thinking Sony expects to make up the difference in software sales.

That being said, Sony doesn't have an emulator-like backwards compatibility system like MS does. If somebody buys the discless PS5, they're going to lose a lot of backwards compatibility games.

15 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

That being said, Sony doesn't have an emulator-like backwards compatibility system like MS does. If somebody buys the discless PS5, they're going to lose a lot of backwards compatibility games.

Which I dont get because I remember my fat 60gb PS3 had an emulator chip that played some PS2 games. Did Sony just abandon that?

27 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So how many games will be bv backwards compatible.  I assume it will not be a one stop shop for all things PlayStation

Unclear. Sony has a mandate that games coming out for PS4 starting in July must also be compatible with PS5. Besides that, they've mentioned only the top 100 games by playtime for PS4 will eventually be compatible with PS5. PS Now lets people stream games from PS2-PS4, but as of now, not sure when/if that service will work with the PS5. It's all kind of convoluted.

Archived