Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

I didn't even make it to the alien before I chickened out.

Ha! Yeah you tapped out way before butt puckering time. Even those "Workin' Joe" androids (the secondary threat) are spooky af (like that carnival bot from the Scooby Doo ep).

I think you were still at the point where Just the scared people on the space station are trying to kill you. But yeah, dunno about scary in the supernatural sense, but it is absolutely the most terrifying game I have ever played, and I've damn near played them all.

The presentation, detail, sound (especially surround), the way they connect the alien monitor to the control. It's just a masterpiece. Shame it didn't get enough support for a sequel.

Man, Perfect Dark was such a good game back in its day.  It's a shame that so many people only remember Goldeneye when Perfect Dark took what they started with Goldeneye and raised it to a whole new level.  If they do a full-on remake, I really hope they can keep what made the original special.  FPS games have changed so much since it came out; it's gonna be a tall order to modernize without ****izing it or making it too much like everything else out there.

19 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Ha! Yeah you tapped out way before butt puckering time. Even those "Workin' Joe" androids (the secondary threat) are spooky af (like that carnival bot from the Scooby Doo ep).

I think you were still at the point where Just the scared people on the space station are trying to kill you. But yeah, dunno about scary in the supernatural sense, but it is absolutely the most terrifying game I have ever played, and I've damn near played them all.

The presentation, detail, sound (especially surround), the way they connect the alien monitor to the control. It's just a masterpiece. Shame it didn't get enough support for a sequel.

the funniest part is that I love stealth games, its hard to find them (decent ones) nowadays. I still have A:I collector's edition for the 360, I can still give it a try.

9 hours ago, purbeast said:

Can we all agree to at least pretend that Perfect Dark Zero never existed?

Yes

36 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

the funniest part is that I love stealth games, its hard to find them (decent ones) nowadays. I still have A:I collector's edition for the 360, I can still give it a try.

I must once again lament the fall of the Splinter Cell series.

Open world designs killed the stealth genre. 

Splinter Cell, Assassins Creed, Ghost Recon, all trace their demise to the stale concept of “heres a massive beautiful open world with 99% dead objects and 1% interactivity and no attention to level design). 

The older AC games were open worlds but due to the smaller sizes, also had some really good level designs for assassination missions. It all died with Origins, which had mostly generic buildings and forts. Not a bad game, but also not what it’s predecessors were.

If the stealth genre is gonna die, they really need to up the ante in RPGs to make stealth builds rewarding and fun.

Elder Scrolls for example, I don’t see much difference between sneaking through the dungeon or just hacking all the way to the end. You get basically the same experience.

But they need to do more with magic builds and combat builds as well to really make you feel the class you customized for yourself.

Magic can and should get more creative with spells and combinations. 

Melee builds should have more parrying/combos that are unique to that class

Stealth should obviously have a lot of damage output but be more punishing for getting caught. True risk/reward 

I hope since they took generation off they come back with some true class innovation this time. Fantasy RPGs starting to get real stale.

The best stealth game to come out recently IMO was Dishonered. FPS perspective which made it different and it wasn't open world, more like a HUB world with smaller confined areas to roam around in. But tons and tons of ways to complete each mission and they are all awesome. You can go through the entire game and never kill anyone, finding other ways to defeat your targets like exposing them of crime so they are arrested. All set within a steampunk fantasy civilization with a nice story featuring supernatural abilities.

Remastered editions are available for both PS4/Xb1 and a sequel came out years ago that i still need to play. 

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Yes

I must once again lament the fall of the Splinter Cell series.

Yeah, they really pooped all over that IP. I'm sure it will come back at some point and copy Hitman. The last full on stealth game that I bought was Styx: Master of Shadows, the controls need work...

1 hour ago, Rogue Jedi said:

If the stealth genre is gonna die, they really need to up the ante in RPGs to make stealth builds rewarding and fun.

Elder Scrolls for example, I don’t see much difference between sneaking through the dungeon or just hacking all the way to the end. You get basically the same experience.

But they need to do more with magic builds and combat builds as well to really make you feel the class you customized for yourself.

Magic can and should get more creative with spells and combinations. 

Melee builds should have more parrying/combos that are unique to that class

Stealth should obviously have a lot of damage output but be more punishing for getting caught. True risk/reward 

I hope since they took generation off they come back with some true class innovation this time. Fantasy RPGs starting to get real stale.

Two Worlds Two, one of the most underrated RPGs ever made. I would love to play a better RPG with that magic system implemented, literal endless possibilities.

#NeverForget

Jesus,  games used to be so fun.

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Hitman is probably the last one standing

Ah, Siphon Filter... brings back a lot of memories

I don't know if it's nostalgia that clouds my bias but the late 90's early 2000's was truly the golden age of gaming, IMO.

Before the dark times... Before the microtransactions...

Sure, games became a lot more sophisticated in terms of graphics and controls, but I feel like you truly got your money's worth with every game, even the ****ty ones.

Shoot, I could fire up Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue for PS1 and be MIA for days.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You can go through the entire game and never kill anyone

And I'm over here teleporting through a window and shanking a target mercilessly while he sleeps.

Now I just feel like a pyschopath.

I remember how ground breaking it was in Siphon Filter how the torso could twist and the upper body could move separately from the lower body.  If you watch that **** now the running looks hilarious.  At the time it was like OH MY GOD HOLY ****!

Yup, I remember those  "No kill" runs from MGS. A true challenge 

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I remember how ground breaking it was in Siphon Filter how the torso could twist and the upper body could move separately from the lower body.  If you watch that **** now the running looks hilarious.  At the time it was like OH MY GOD HOLY ****!

Weapon sophistication.  I remember  being so enamored with the presentation and detail that I started telling people I wanted to grow up to be a weapons scientist. 

Started making the parents nervous. Probably looks stupid as hell now.

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

lol The ending and result of the plague changes based on how many people you killed too. 

I spent hours not killing guards in Dishonored 2, choking them out and tossing them in a room for safe keeping. Turns out, the room was close to a nest of bloodflies...I have the death of eight people on my hands.

3 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Ah, Siphon Filter... brings back a lot of memories

I don't know if it's nostalgia that clouds my bias but the late 90's early 2000's was truly the golden age 

I think arcades have a lot to do with it. Seemed like there was more genre balance back then, and everyone could break off what slice of the pie they wanted. Everything is so diluted and monopolized right now. Even the most incredible of games are just missing those truly unique qualities that made gaming back then so fun.

9 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Open world designs killed the stealth genre. 

Splinter Cell, Assassins Creed, Ghost Recon, all trace their demise to the stale concept of “heres a massive beautiful open world with 99% dead objects and 1% interactivity and no attention to level design). 

The older AC games were open worlds but due to the smaller sizes, also had some really good level designs for assassination missions. It all died with Origins, which had mostly generic buildings and forts. Not a bad game, but also not what it’s predecessors were.

Did Splinter Cell go open world?  For me, that series died when they turned it into an action game with Conviction.  They added a "kill everyone in the room" button, took away the ability move at variable rates; there was either "crouching silent run" or "standing loud run", they removed the ability to hide bodies... it just wasn't Splinter Cell anymore.  I understand they did some stupid things story-wise, too.

And then to further piss on the franchise, the replaced the iconic scruff, aging Michael Ironside with a child voice-actor.  Seriously, Sam was already in Lethal Weapon 4 "Too Old For This ****" mode in the third game, but in the 6th he's now younger than ever?  Get the **** outta here.  If you wanna replace Michael Ironside, then retire Sam Fisher and introduce a new character (like the other agents introduced in the co-op campaign on Chaos Theory).

All the reminiscing on these last couple pages has me thinking about what a letdown this generation (PS4/XB1) has been. At least for the types of games that I'm into. 

There's been some games have been mind-blowing, but overall a pretty significant flop. Unimaginative shooters. Sports games? Total **** show now.

Archived