Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

I do too. But this was mostly for blaze and wire. Find some grazer herds (nora hunting ground is perfect for this) and the blaze is covered. Kill the grazers with the spear and then shoot off their blaze canisters with the harvest arrows and you get 6 blaze per canister instead of just 1 if you leave them attached and search the animal. 

Wire, i found shell walkers and just corrupt them or override one and let them kill each other. Those and snapmaws. 

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I do too. But this was mostly for blaze and wire. Find some grazer herds (nora hunting ground is perfect for this) and the blaze is covered. Kill the grazers with the spear and then shoot off their blaze canisters with the harvest arrows and you get 6 blaze per canister instead of just 1 if you leave them attached and search the animal. 

Wire, i found shell walkers and just corrupt them or override one and let them kill each other. Those and snapmaws. 

Yeah I need to get the corruption weapons and tearblast arrows, still. Should make things easier. Right now whenever I get low on wire I just buy a **** ton of it. It's keeping me from upgrading the outfit though.

So I mentioned Alien: Isolation (will go down as a top 10'er for me in this console generation) in that Aliens thread.

Mind****ing survival thrill ride of the highest order (if played on Super Hard/Nightmare). Constant game of cat and mouse.

Why can't there be a Terminator game like this? All these suckass Terminator games, and it's a treasure grove of potential ideas for a sci fi survival game.

I hope someone capitalizes on this in the next gen.

17 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Morrowind

I love and hate Morrowind with a passion. I love how wide open the world is, and I hate how I have to spend half an hour searching for that one single cave in the middle that's "on the road to the left of that pointy rock" which absolutely looks completely different different from the other 7 pointy rocks that just happen to lie along 7 other forks in the path.

I also love the magic weapons and armor in Morrowind compared to Skyrim. I hate that I have to use a dead body in a locked house to store my unneeded everything.

Let's look at that quest log.... "You got a sword from an orc dude. I bet you wonder why this is listed as a quest lmao."

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

I love and hate Morrowind with a passion. I love how wide open the world is, and I hate how I have to spend half an hour searching for that one single cave in the middle that's "on the road to the left of that pointy rock" which absolutely looks completely different different from the other 7 pointy rocks that just happen to lie along 7 other forks in the path.

I also love the magic weapons and armor in Morrowind compared to Skyrim. I hate that I have to use a dead body in a locked house to store my unneeded everything.

Let's look at that quest log.... "You got a sword from an orc dude. I bet you wonder why this is listed as a quest lmao."

This is why I haven't played this game. It sounds like a lot of fun and an added layer of realism and making it on your own in a crazy world but also like a supreme waste of time in a lot of ways. Maybe a remaster could keep this the same way but then differentiate the pixelated dirt your're staring out trying to decide if its a grave or not. Take the needless difficulty out of it but keep the challenge and exploration and survival aspect of it. 

Disclaimer:

I have never played Morrowind. I would like too... but, technology has come oh so far since then.  Looking at clvids of it, it looks like someone threw up on a blank canvas, and the throw up started to become sentient, making towers and streets and people with the droplets 

My idea for a survival game was similar to Dying Light just without the ridiculous action and unrealistic weapons. But a huge open world city filled with zombies or monsters or whatever danger and the world designed for climbing over and around things etc and traveling on foot everywhere. You start out with a crew of maybe 5-6 people. Those are your lives. You have to make it through the entire game with them or else it's game over start from the beginning. Basically you designate somebody in the group a leader and fill out other roles. Characters might even have classes like a brawler that is good with axes and hand to hand combat vs a guy that likes a pistol that can provide cover on missions. 

But you have to venture it out into this city for various missions and even scavenging for resources because you have to find food and water or the group starts to lose health and skill attributes that impact their abilities. If you **** up and get bit, that character dies and the story adjusts accordingly.  There are no health bars. There are no bullet sponges. 1-2 hits kills an enemy and pretty much one screw up and you are done too. You have to be methodical. There is a chance that character could save themselves for example if you chose a hatchet on your loadout before the mission maybe you can cut off your arm that was bitten and find some bandages to patch it up. But then you lose the climbing ability and that character becomes weaker as a result. Maybe now they can only be used as a runner or in a support role. No hatchet and that character dies. Perhaps you find some cover and radio back to base at which point you take control of one of the other characters at the base and they have a set amount of time to get out there to you and amputate you to save you. It's a risk because you have to rush through it. You may end up losing 2 characters in the group instead of just cutting your loss at the one. But you grow to know these characters and they have stats and tracks their kills similar to XCOM so you know when you lost your biggest badass. The story will change based on the characters that live and die similar to Until Dawn. You group also has a sanity meter and if they are constantly hungry or people are dying quickly, their sanity meter goes up and they start to lose it. Certain characters might have worse aim while this is in effect. Some characters will have higher tolerance for this, we call it their Grimes ability. A higher Grimes and the more **** you can take and still hold it together. Weak Grimes trait and maybe one of your group dips out in the middle of the night because they think they can make it better on their own. This makes the supply and food runs critical and keeps you out in the world exploring. You need to keep the group fed, supplied and safe. 

Throughout the story you will make your way across the massive city setting up new bases and finding ideal locations around the city to maximize supply and food gathering as well as protection from the zombies/monsters. I don't know what the actual story would be. Dark though. Finding the purpose of life through surviving in hell. Not finding a cure or anything like that. During the course of the game you encounter other humans in the city. You can offer them to come back and stay with you and that adds an extra life to your group but you have to help them usually to win their trust, putting your own characters at risk in a dangerous mission. If you screw up maybe that person betrays you later because you didn't help them with their mission. Maybe you just reject this person and don't let them into your group. hours later on an unrelated mission they attack you or steal a weapons cache that you had hidden. 

I just want to emphsize the brutality of the world and the realistic dangers out there. There are no health packs. Make it through with the group or it's over. Sorry you missed that headshot or took that wrong turn and stumbled into a group of 6 zombies that blocked you in. I want consequences and the tension every time you stepped out of your base would be unreal. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

You me and Poker need to start our own gaming company :ols:

Yeah then we can get UHD remakes of 20 year old Bethesda games.  Just what I buy new consoles for!

NOTE: I did not read that essay 3 posts above!

16 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Yeah then we can get UHD remakes of 20 year old Bethesda games.  Just what I buy new consoles for!

Hey, you leave us the dusty, glitchy classics, and we'll let you have your tinkerbell fairytale adventure games.

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You group also has a sanity meter and if they are constantly hungry or people are dying quickly, their sanity meter goes up and they start to lose it.

I believe Nintendo still holds a patent on the sanity meter.

7 hours ago, ShredSkins said:

New Star Wars game looks interesting. 12 year old me would have been flipping out about space battles. 

Did 12 year old you ever play the Rogue Squadron games?  They were a blast back in the day.

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

Hey - If they were in an arcade box you’d have no problem paying an entire new console price + for a single 30 year game. 

we know how to get you. There is an ultra 8K GOTY premium remastered legendary edition Skyrim arcade with your name on it 

Speaking of arcade games, everyone in here should watch this video.

EDIT:

Wow that is one of the greatest troll jobs in the history of video gaming.

Mark Turmell was from Michigan and a Pistons fan right as Jordan got over the hump to beat em, so he wrote specific code when it was Bulls vs. Pistons and if the Bulls took a last second shot to win the game it would miss 100% of the time.

That is incredible and genius!

6 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I'm just now starting to get into survival games, kinda hard to find one with a legit RPG system attached.

You played any of the Soul's games (Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Bloodborne)? Technically it's not Survival, just damn challenging. But it's the closest you will probably come to a survival adventure RPG afaik, unless you go Indie. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is also tough. I have it, but have not played it yet. It's made by the same company that makes the Souls games.

Isolation is something I would definitely recommend though, unless you are dead set on an RPG.

6 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I'm just now starting to get into survival games, kinda hard to find one with a legit RPG system attached.

define "survival" in this context.

There was a really interesting game on the Gameboy color called Survival Kids where you play a kid washed up on the shore of a deserted island and you have to survive and try to get back to civilization.  You start with nothing and have to gather food and find water.  They had a neat concept where they randomized the effects of different plants and fungi each game, so you couldn't just go in knowing what was good and what was poisonous, but rather had to try it for yourself each play-through.  The game was kind enough to fill out the effects after use in a journal you could reference. Pretty in-depth, especially for the a handheld in the 90s.

11 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

You played any of the Soul's games (Dark Souls, Demons Souls, Bloodborne)? Technically it's not Survival, just damn challenging. But it's the closest you will probably come to a survival adventure RPG afaik, unless you go Indie. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is also tough. I have it, but have not played it yet. It's made by the same company that makes the Souls games.

Isolation is something I would definitely recommend though, unless you are dead set on an RPG.

I hated Dark Souls, it turned me off to the entire "souls like" genre for years. I have been playing The Surge (sci-fi souls like) and I thoroughly enjoy the game. What is Isolation? Is that Alien: Isolation? I have that game and played it for a bit, but it didn't really click with me. I love stealth games, but I'm not to big in the horror genre/jump scares.

10 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

define "survival" in this context.

There was a really interesting game on the Gameboy color called Survival Kids where you play a kid washed up on the shore of a deserted island and you have to survive and try to get back to civilization.  You start with nothing and have to gather food and find water.  They had a neat concept where they randomized the effects of different plants and fungi each game, so you couldn't just go in knowing what was good and what was poisonous, but rather had to try it for yourself each play-through.  The game was kind enough to fill out the effects after use in a journal you could reference. Pretty in-depth, especially for the a handheld in the 90s.

The best examples I can give are the games Outward and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Think of a Fallout or Skyrim type, rpg game but with actual survival elements, that is the game that doesn't exist that I would love to play. I don't mean Fallout on survival mode either, I want a balanced RPG/survival game.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:42 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

I'm "Working" from home lol. I just use my headset and laptop beside me while basically gaming on and off (except for a Zoom meeting)

This has been me on a daily basis as well. I don't know what has benefited more, my backlog or my youtube channel lol. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Ah yes, KCD is pretty close to that. I need to finish that game. Yes, Alien: Isolation is what I meant, for sure. Shame it didn't take. I'd play it again if I didn't have a ludicrous pile of unplayed material in front of me

I didn't even make it to the alien before I chickened out.

I love KCD, I need to finish it as well. I did so many side quests that I'm almost at max level and I'm probably not even halfway through the main game.

Random musings:

SInce talk about Bethesda and potentially working there cropped over the last few pages. An former co-worker of mine was engaged in a series of interviews for both Bethesda and Blizzard. Don't know how far he got with Blizzard, but with Bethesda, he'd made it as far as a face-to-face interview. He didn't end up working there, but I'm not sure why he didn't. He would've been working for ZeniMax in their live services division. Which means he probably would've ended up working on ESO and FO76. 

The PS5 reveal show was pretty cool. I like the look of the new console. Very futuristic, although Alienware might need to have a word with Sony lol. I was probably most impressed by a little indie game called, Kena: Bridge of Spirits. I did a video on it. Feel like it's going to be a sleeper hit. That Miles Morales game is a standalone game, much like Lost Legacy is to Uncharted 4. That's the only confirmed launch exclusive for PS5 that I know of right now. 

I know a guy, who has some connections in the industry. He told me about HZD going to PC before it was announced. He also says Bloodborne is going to PC, and a whole lot more Playstation exclusives. My gaming rig is pleased lol. He also told me about the Demon's Souls remaster last year. Some of his stuff I think is pretty out there, and hasn't come to fruition yet. But he also said Playground Games is definitely making Fable for Xbox Game Studios (well known rumor), but that The Initiative is doing a remake of Perfect Dark for them too. And both should be revealed in the Xbox July Event coming up. And apparently, the new Obsidian RPG is mindblowing. 

Sony has more games to reveal before the year is out, but they just aren't ready to do it yet. Guerilla Games has a second studio that is working on a multiplayer game. Speculation is it's another killzone or a remake of SOCOM. They've poached some talent from the Rainbow Six Siege dev teams to help make it. 

Archived