Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

Don't remember for sure but I think it's multiplayer/co-op only. Seems similar to Destiny in that you just take your group through a post apocalyptic recreated NYC trying to save it and find a cure for the virus. RPG elements involved like leveling and classes, gear and loot. There is a Dark Zone in the middle of NyC where best loot is and that's where you encounter other users so a lot of PvP action while you try to claim best loot.

My understanding is this actually has a complete and deep story so it's not just a loot and grindfest like Destiny

Figures :(

Is that multiplayer?

Absolutely. It has been delayed a gazillion times, but it premiered at E3 three years ago like Destiny did. It is supposed to be a squad based co-op experience. It looks amazing, but some of the features it touted when it was first shown have been removed. I've been disappointed with it's development, but if the beta can sway me I'll buy it in March. 

I'm only trying the Division beta because I loved the concept. I've been disappointed so much with its development that I can't expect too much.

If the Division is anything similar to Destiny as far as gameplay and mix of PvE/PvP then it should be a huge success.    I've put Destiny on the back shelf for now, but not because it still isn't fun (for me at least), but because I've been addicted to Rainbow Six Siege lol.

Took a look at the beta sign up and can't find one for PS4 or XB1, looks like that $10 deal is for PC only and I don't feel like playing on PC.

I'm really hoping The Division doesn't suck. I've been looking forward to that game since 2013. The problem with Destiny was it's utter lack of content at launch. I'm hoping TD doesn't have that issue.

Please don't suck. Please don't suck...

New review says that The Division is extremely similar to Destiny, which is what I've been saying all along.  The Alpha reviews were really really bad.

I'm going to do the Beta, I'm really hoping it's good.

On another note:  People complain about Destiny's "Lack of content".  (You said "at launch", So, I may not be talking to you).  Destiny has WAY more content than any other game out there.  Besides, there is no other game similar to Destiny. 

Fallout is a single player game, so they don't compare. Of course a single player RPG will have more content and story because the story is only affected by the single player.

Look at COD BO3.  You get multiplayer.  You get 1 zombie map (2 if you pay 60 dollars more for season pass) and a crap campaign mode.

Destiny, you get the Raid which is the centerpiece of the game.  (there are currently 3, plus Prison of Elders), you get multiplayer, you get strikes, you get story missions, you get Trials of Osiris which is arguably one of the most fun PVP experiences out there and ALL of this is multiplayer.  IMO, when I hear the complaints about lack of content, it makes me think that people 1. Love the game so much that they want more and 2. are unrealistic.  What new content  is out there for Black Ops 3 now?  I don't get the complaints?

The complaints about "Lack of story" are understandable, but, its not a story driven game.  The game is made to play with others. The people playing Destiny as a single player game are missing out on the best parts of the game. Finally, the complaints about lack of  matchmaking for the raids and trials... It is NOT THAT HARD to find good people to play with.  If there was matchmaking on the raid, it would make people quit the game.  People would quit in the middle of raids.  That would be so frustrating.  

Thanks GB. So we have to pre-order to get into the beta?

If you do the pre-order then you are in the beta, but if you don't do the pre-order you can still get on the waiting list. I did the waiting list. Can't see myself essentially paying for a beta, as I'm not certain I will buy the game yet.

New review says that The Division is extremely similar to Destiny, which is what I've been saying all along. The Alpha reviews were really really bad.

I'm going to do the Beta, I'm really hoping it's good.

On another note: People complain about Destiny's "Lack of content". (You said "at launch", So, I may not be talking to you). Destiny has WAY more content than any other game out there. Besides, there is no other game similar to Destiny.

Fallout is a single player game, so they don't compare. Of course a single player RPG will have more content and story because the story is only affected by the single player.

Look at COD BO3. You get multiplayer. You get 1 zombie map (2 if you pay 60 dollars more for season pass) and a crap campaign mode.

Destiny, you get the Raid which is the centerpiece of the game. (there are currently 3, plus Prison of Elders), you get multiplayer, you get strikes, you get story missions, you get Trials of Osiris which is arguably one of the most fun PVP experiences out there and ALL of this is multiplayer. IMO, when I hear the complaints about lack of content, it makes me think that people 1. Love the game so much that they want more and 2. are unrealistic. What new content is out there for Black Ops 3 now? I don't get the complaints?

The complaints about "Lack of story" are understandable, but, its not a story driven game. The game is made to play with others. The people playing Destiny as a single player game are missing out on the best parts of the game. Finally, the complaints about lack of matchmaking for the raids and trials... It is NOT THAT HARD to find good people to play with. If there was matchmaking on the raid, it would make people quit the game. People would quit in the middle of raids. That would be so frustrating.

The difference from my understanding is that there is no reward for all the time you spend in Destiny, they may have several different things to do, but it's just for XP and loot to upgrade your character to go back and do the same exact missions over again.

There is no story, your actions don't impact the world at all, there is nothing to mark your progress by except loot which is only useful if you plan on doing the same missions over and over again.

At this point, it appears that the Division has a full story with an actual purpose, a beginning and an end.

Additionally, you work to upgrade your character as well as the operating base which at least gives a sense of measured progress as you complete a multitude of missions. Destiny's missions all end up being the same for the most part as well. It seems this at least has a bit more of an open world RPG side quest structure going on, but I could be wrong about that.

The difference from my understanding is that there is no reward for all the time you spend in Destiny, they may have several different things to do, but it's just for XP and loot to upgrade your character to go back and do the same exact missions over again.

There is no story, your actions don't impact the world at all, there is nothing to mark your progress by except loot which is only useful if you plan on doing the same missions over and over again.

At this point, it appears that the Division has a full story with an actual purpose, a beginning and an end.

Additionally, you work to upgrade your character as well as the operating base which at least gives a sense of measured progress as you complete a multitude of missions. Destiny's missions all end up being the same for the most part as well. It seems this at least has a bit more of an open world RPG side quest structure going on, but I could be wrong about that.

Partially true, for the raids/PvE side of the game.  Raids and strikes might be the same, but they are extremely difficult to pull off, even at the lowest difficulty for some of the end game ones, if one person screws up.  

But PvE, Raids/strikes and doing the story quests over and over again isn't the only part of the game.  There is the PvP side of the game which is extremely fun, then the special events they do like Iron Banner, SRL races, etc.  Destiny is built and timed on new content.  If played casually or strictly picking say PvP (which is my preference), it stays fresh.  

Sure, once the story quest line is completed, I don't see the point of doing that over, boring.  But the PvP and jumping in some raids/strikes is fun.  I'm looking forward to the Division though, looks awesome.  Signed up for Beta on both consoles, hoping I get picked for at least one.

For me the issue with Destiny isn't the lack of content in the beginning but more so the lack of realizing we as a consumer base aren't stupid. IMO you can clearly see they held back content/story initially made for release only to later push it to DLC. It's like a bipolar gf that makes you wait forever for the juicebox when you know she gave it up early to the last bf. Most of it is Activisions fault for being the Mr. Burns of video games while Bungie allowing itself to turn from Mayor Quimby to a straight Smithers sidechick. 

Destiny's content as a whole has been great(mainly due to the actual Bungie devs) and truly worth the money invested(unlike something like Battlefield Hardline Premium). That said, the hype-then-delivery left me so salton sea that I will just forever have afterthoughts of Destiny in a negative light or more of a what-could-have-been light. 

I'll probably buy-in to The Division mainly because it's one of the few games that's been on my radar for a while and also I like when a game franchise pushes a game back to "get it right". It could bust but at least it hasn't been sold as "you can go in every building you see in the city" and the like that Destiny pushed in the early hype days.

There are three things that give me concern about The Division:

1) Ubisoft and their track record for intentionally releasing broken games they expect consumers to deal with while they patch for months.

2) multiple delays. One delay I'm fine with. Multiple delays tend to signal an issue the developer is having making a solid game. Also, I guess this is 2b; adding additional Dev studios to help with the game, not expansions or DLC, the base game seems risky and problematic to my untrained eye.

3) removing promentient features. I was really looking forward to being able to play with my crew from a tablet when I'm away from home and help them out as a drone. Since showcasing this feature at E3 it has been removed. If you aren't capable of delivering on something like that, it needs to be realized in the planning phase of developing this game and not after you told the entire world it would be available. No matter how you slice it, no matter how good a decision it was to nix it because it would've sucked. You just disappointed a significant number of people who were interested in your game possibly due to the features you couldn't deliver on.

Either way, I'm playing the beta and hoping it is impressive. I need a new multiplayer game to dig into.

Archived