Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 16: Donald Trumps wins Presidency. God Help us all!

88Comrade2000

4 minutes ago, twa said:

I suspect it is not like the military at all.

Given how much nation building the military has been asked to do since George W. Bush there may be more parallels  than you think.

Good works in clean up, construction, agriculture, medicine, etc. are good works whether they come from a religious source or a secular one.

I like the senior part of giving something. I'll be relocating to TX in the coming months and I have two areas of interest: 1) helping women exercise their reproductive freedom, and 2) helping young people write effectively. 

The second is a long time interest because I have seen the younger generations write abysmally. I think if they could more effectively express themselves they could improve their chances at better paying jobs, be more employable. 

22 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Given how much nation building the military has been asked to do since George W. Bush there may be more parallels  than you think.

Good works in clean up, construction, agriculture, medicine, etc. are good works whether they come from a religious source or a secular one.

I guess they send them to war zones Like Chicago and Detroit.

the religious sources I control my donations to. 

1 hour ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

I was born in 90. I graduated high school in 08. I absolutely consider myself a "child of the great recession."

I don't live in my parent's basement; my wife and I have been very fortunate to do very well for ourselves. But overwhelmingly this is not the case amongst our peers. And while we'd like to think we're just better than everyone else, we know that our generation has faced enormous challenges that hold people back, especially those that are single. 

I grew up in the DMV, she grew up in rural western PA, but the story is the same. A few are successful, the rest live with their parents, or share a two bedroom place with 6 people, just to make ends meet. 

If you only listen to the White House, your friends don't exist. The economy is doing great!

54 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I have been one always in favor of a mandatory year of service after HS. Get out of the bubble of comfy suburb America with your parents before you head to even comfier, safespaceU 

Vehement disagreement here.  Flies in the face of freedom.

17 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

If you only listen to the White House, your friends don't exist. The economy is doing great!

Honest question.  How "good" is the economy supposed to be for you if you're 20-25 years old?  Is there some magical time in the past when the standard of living for 20-25 YOs was substantially higher than it is now?  Is there a bigger issue facing them economically than student debt...and isn't that fairly easy to rectify?

1 hour ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

I have been one always in favor of a mandatory year of service after HS. Get out of the bubble of comfy suburb America with your parents before you head to even comfier, safespaceU 

why not a decade or more?

put em in camps

43 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

The economy IS doing great, compared to when the Obama administration took over. There's not a person on the planet thinking to themselves, "I'm doing alright, but I wish I was doing as good as I was in 08". (Before you jump at me, that's obvious hyperbole).

Most young people I know understand that they had it bad, but are at least grateful that we weren't four years older, and graduating college in 08 instead of high school. At least we were able to go to college and ride some of it out, and enter the job market after some of the rebound. 

But still, the big determining factor in which of us are successful and which aren't is student debt. Those of us who chose education options that didn't require mountains of debt, or whose parents were able to pay most of it, are at least in a position where they can make ends meet on their own. Those with debt? No chance.

And yes, a LOT of that is personal responsibility and understanding what you signed up for. But a lot of it is also predatory systems that make it really difficult for 18 year olds to understand why is and isn't a reasonable expectation. Most 18 years old can tell you 100K per year is too much, and community college is affordable. But most don't understand where the magical line in the middle lies that takes them from "worthwhile investment" to "crippling debt you'll never pay back". And many, many young people don't have parents that are able to help with that. 

17 minutes ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

The economy IS doing great, compared to when the Obama administration took over. There's not a person on the planet thinking to themselves, "I'm doing alright, but I wish I was doing as good as I was in 08". (Before you jump at me, that's obvious hyperbole).

Most young people I know understand that they had it bad, but are at least grateful that we weren't four years older, and graduating college in 08 instead of high school. At least we were able to go to college and ride some of it out, and enter the job market after some of the rebound. 

But still, the big determining factor in which of us are successful and which aren't is student debt. Those of us who chose education options that didn't require mountains of debt, or whose parents were able to pay most of it, are at least in a position where they can make ends meet on their own. Those with debt? No chance.

And yes, a LOT of that is personal responsibility and understanding what you signed up for. But a lot of it is also predatory systems that make it really difficult for 18 year olds to understand why is and isn't a reasonable expectation. Most 18 years old can tell you 100K per year is too much, and community college is affordable. But most don't understand where the magical line in the middle lies that takes them from "worthwhile investment" to "crippling debt you'll never pay back". And many, many young people don't have parents that are able to help with that. 

If most of your friends are struggling to make ends meet, I don't call that great, but yes, I agree that it is better than 2008. Thankfully it didn't affect me personally from a financial standpoint. And yes, college debt is a problem. Of course, it doesn't help does it that young folks are told that higher education is necessary for prosperity.

1 hour ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

You can have my kids for a mandatory year of conscription over my dead body.

49 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Honest question.  How "good" is the economy supposed to be for you if you're 20-25 years old?  Is there some magical time in the past when the standard of living for 20-25 YOs was substantially higher than it is now?  Is there a bigger issue facing them economically than student debt...and isn't that fairly easy to rectify?

Honest answer: I don't know. When I was that age in the 90's, I was dirt poor making $6.50/hr. I remember thinking "I'll never be able to settle down or buy a house like my parents did when they were my age in 1970".

I think I'm just feeling curmudgeony today. :)

8 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Honest answer: I don't know. When I was that age in the 90's, I was dirt poor making $6.50/hr. I remember thinking "I'll never be able to settle down or buy a house like my parents did when they were my age in 1970".

I feel ya.  I came from a nice suburban family with a bit of money and did pretty well scholastically...and I didn't have a pot to piss in when my future ex and I got our first apartment in 94.  20+ years on and things turned out pretty well.  I will say this...damn glad I wasn't carrying six figures of debt back then!

As an adult with a solid career, the economy when it tanked in 2008 has affected me ever since. Thank goodness I could retire at 65 and I don't have to wait another year. Although I can't afford to live on Social Security in this area. 

The Bush 43 administrations ruined this country, starting with 2 wars that were carried as debt, a big mistake.

I feel bad for young people now. Huge tuition fees and debt.

16 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

If most of your friends are struggling to make ends meet, I don't call that great, but yes, I agree that it is better than 2008. Thankfully it didn't affect me personally from a financial standpoint. And yes, college debt is a problem. Of course, it doesn't help does it that young folks are told that higher education is necessary for prosperity.

Yeah, I do hear ya. My wife was really fortunate. She got herself a good, pragmatic degree, without a penny in student loans. Straight out of college she found a job making 42k. We also happened to get married the year she graduated college. So at 23, she was living a life that involved her making 42k, in a two income household, without any debt. Obviously, that's why we're able to do so well 3-4 years later.

If you flip the script slightly though, things like pretty bleak. One of her best friends got the exact same degree. She graduated with pretty modest debt (for millennial standards) of 40k. She has a job making 34k a year. That salary, with that debt, as a single woman, in the DMV area. Yeah, things are tough. And that's before you even get into the issues of cost of living near the good jobs and do you prefer to split housing with 4 people or commute an hour plus each way. 

7 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

It seems to me like a lot of it is perception, too. I'm the child of Mexican immigrants. In Mexican culture, there is no reason to move out until you're married. I have tons of cousins, male and female, that lived at home well into their mid twenties until they got married. But in in our culture, for better or worse, we seem to have a big culture stigma around "boomerang kids" and talk down on those that "live with their parents" after college. I think that has millennials feeling like they are very behind. But you have an interesting point. How many 20-25 year olds were doing much better in each previous generation?

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

My first job out of college was $32k in 1998.  Pretty nice apartment in Nashville for $650/month and a $330 truck payment... I thought I had it made 

I think there's always going to be a bit of a disconnect between anecdotal/personal evidence and statistical numbers based evidence, especially when talking about the economy and quality of living. I can see both sides of it. On one hand the numbers (as long as they were collected and analyzed in scientifically rigorous way) are pretty tough to argue against and show the trends and scope of the economy, jobs, quality of living, etc. When someone says "yeah, well I know plenty of people who are still barely making ends meet and are struggling" it doesn't really mean much as far as the overall picture. That being said, it's cold and dismissive to say "well that is not statistically relevant, and anecdotal evidence is not scientific". It might technically be true, but that doesn't make that person or those peoples' struggles somehow not real. Its a tough balancing act...being able to convey the colder scientific analysis of the economy with the fact that, no matter how good that is, there are still plenty of people who are legitimately suffering. 

Archived