Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: If Haslett Gets Turfed, Who Steps Up As Interim Dc?

Chadwiko

So it begins...

Dre likes Romeo Crennel.  He has did all last season.

Might've come to fruition if not for the 7 game win streak. 

The defense hasn't been as good since the 4-3 in 2009 and that is entirely Mike Shanahan's fault. In fact, 5 out of the last 6 years this team played a 4-3 before Shanny the defense was ranked in the top 10. It was changed only because of Shanahan's ego and ultimately it should be the reason he is fired.

Doesn't matter who the interim coach might. This defense won't improve.

I don't think those defenses were all that good.  Maybe yardage wise, but you have to look at all of the other aspects of the team that year.  Teams knew our offense was that threat and they often ran the ball late to get out of there.

If we were in shootouts, those defenses would've been in trouble, in my opinion.  (Talking the 08 and 09 defenses). 

Now the 05 defense... I could watch them all day long... save for the Rogers dropped pick against Seattle.

I honestly don't think he gets fired during the season, but I fully expect that to be one of the first moves the team makes in the off-season.  Haslett has definitely outlived his welcome here, and cap penalty and personnel aside...the defense should just not be this bad. 

We don't have world-beaters in the secondary, but they should not be the worst of all time with yardage after three games.  

Worst of ALL TIME.  Think about that.

This thread reminds me of the "Fire Danny Smith" thread. lol

What has Romeo Crennel done in the past 8 years to warrant being a highly regarded DC? Have I just missed something?

I never understood the love for Romeo Crennel, that stacked chiefs roster and they underachieved drastically. We would be sick of Romeo Crennel after his first season. lol

What has Romeo Crennel done in the past 8 years to warrant being a highly regarded DC? Have I just missed something?

Seems like since leaving NE as DC he could have just run into bad situations. You don't get much sorrier than the Browns and Chiefs during that timeframe. Don't think the man is quality HC material but that's not what we're after.

He had a pretty stacked defense in KC in my opinion and didn't do all that well.  But I think he would do better than Haz.

I'm all for bringing in Lou Spanos.  Our LB play and our defensive play in general has dropped considerably since he left for UCLA.

His defenses with the Chiefs weren't terrible. Much better than what Has has done here. 14th, 11th, and 20th during his 3 years there. And the year they were 20th he was the HC.

His defenses with the Chiefs weren't terrible. Much better than what Has has done here. 14th, 11th, and 20th during his 3 years there. And the year they were 20th he was the HC.

Let's not forget that Todd Haley was the HC during that time.

Curious to see what he does to the Steelers aging defense by the end of the year.

I like the idea of bringing in Romeo on a trial run after Haslett's hopeful departure from this team. Can't be worse than the historically bad that we're looking at now and if he actually does turn it around sign him up longer. If the D still stinks, well then we've got to see which head coaches with defensive backgrounds get let go at the end of the season (most likely Rex Ryan) or dip into the college ranks to find the solution. But at this point I'll take anything. Season's worst D is one thing, but the worst in the history of the sport is inexcusable.

This may be a stupid question , but are we really positioned properly to be a 3-4 defense? Barry Cofield is a good NT, but he is really a DT moved to the NT position. Kerrigan and Rak are true DE's moved to LB. If we are positioned player wise to be a 4-3, would it be really that far of a stretch to bring in a 4-3 DC?

I know that there is a lot more than this to be a 3-4, but the players on the team just seem to be 4-3 scheme guys.

Again, sorry for a stupid question.

This may be a stupid question , but are we really positioned properly to be a 3-4 defense? Barry Cofield is a good NT, but he is really a DT moved to the NT position. Kerrigan and Rak are true DE's moved to LB. If we are positioned player wise to be a 4-3, would it be really that far of a stretch to bring in a 4-3 DC?

I know that there is a lot more than this to be a 3-4, but the players on the team just seem to be 4-3 scheme guys.

If Cofield is a good NT, you don't mess with good. Pretty much every 3-4 OLB in the league used to be a DE, so there's nothing wrong with them either. Our problem is with the coaches.

Special teams are still making too many penalties.  But at least we aren't getting kicks and punts blocked and Kai and Potter have been putting the ball in the endzone on kickoffs with no damn directional kicks.  The penalties need to improve, but I think the coverage teams have looked good.  The return game is looking bad because Thompson has reincarnated himself as Banks.  Rookie mistakes that can be corrected with time and experience. Crawford would still be returning punts if he wasn't hurt.  I'd have Santana returning punts and Paul returning kicks now. 

I said this in another thead:

"I'm not sure why people keep saying this. For the last 4 years, all we'd done is draft and sign guys who are a fit for the 3-4. 

Kerrigan and Rak were "tweener" DEs that can and have played DE and LBer in college.  Riley and Keenan R. were both drafted from college teams that play a 3-4.  As did Jarvis Jenkins from Clemson.  Bowen and Carriker both played 3-4 in college and the pros, while Adam was not a fit with the Rams 4-3.  London played the 4-3 with the Rams and the 3-4 with the Bills and didn't miss a beat.  Cofield and Baker both have played 3-4 DE in college and 4-3 NT in the pros.  Yes, there is a NT in some 4-3 schemes. Cofield is not tiny.  Neild played a 3-4 nose at WVA.  The only guy out of place is Golston.  Rob Jackson and Brandon Jenkins were both undersized DEs in college that HAD to make the switch to LBer. DBs and safeties it doesn't usually matter too much. 

Really not understanding why fans are still in the "we don't have 3-4 players to run this defense" mode.  I mean, every move on defense the last 4 years has been to get rid of the 4-3 guys (Haynesworth, Carter, McIntosh, etc.).  How do you guys not see that?  it's the godamn peice of crap in the booth calling the wrong things, being predicatble and not getting the players in the right position.

In yesterday's game, on Bell's TD, the ENTIRE D-Line slanted to the right with no backside help.  There was a TE on the right and a WR in the slot.  No LBer, no safety, no backside help.  How the hell do you call for the entire Dline to move in one direction?  Alot of offensive coordinators and coaches have come out to say how predictable Haslett and our defense is.  Not sure how anyone can blame the players for shoddy coaching at this point." 

I wonder who the second name that has come up is?  Personally, I would be surprised if the guy isn't Raheem if Haz gets canned.

There are a lot of people saying we wouldn't fire Haz during the season, but I don't think that's the case.  If we give up 500 yards to Oakland, my money is on Haz getting a pink slip over the bye week and Raheem getting a shot to do his thing. 

I also believe Rah when he says we got a bunch of guys that can't tackle.  No scheme is gonna fix that.  I think the 3-4 is fine, it just needs some tinkering with philosophy/play calls.

The streak saved Haz, but 0-4 would be the proverbial last straw I think.  We were opportunistic last year, but turnovers don't always translate from year to year.  Even if we get a win in Oakland, another poor showing by the D will likely force us to make a move.  Whatver we decide to do, it sure can't get any worse.

Can't see Haslett getting fired and Raheem being named the DC for 2 reasons:

o we run a 34 and Raheem is a 43/Cover-2 guy

o Raheem's secondary unit stinks (along with some of his personnel suggestions)

I don't think Jim Haslett should get the axe. I never understood why we would pick a 43 coach to run a 34 defense in the first place.

Nor did I understand why we would hire a high profile position coach from a different scheme to Haslett's staff. I can't imagine Raheem was a choice of Haslett and his coaching style as HC in Tampa Bay basically led to his team tuning him out.

I guess the team would make Slowick the HC but on the whole I don't think Slowick has been hitting the ball out of the park as a LBs coach.

Based on level of performance I would pick Jacon Burney, But, Burney imo has made questionable personnel deciosns aslo.

Does everyone have fond memories of the 4-3 that would make us want to switch back?

I understand that our 4-3 was better than the crap that is on the field now but I remember them as rather overrated. They had the numbers to back it up but they lacked turnovers if I remember correctly. Making them kick a field goal instead of a touchdown is great but turnovers is where you really help tilt the field for your offense. A turnover is what makes for a short field. A kick return after a field goal does nothing to help the field position battle.

Maybe I'm just remembering our 4-3 incorrectly but it seems like they had much better numbers but gave us similar results.

The defense hasn't been as good since the 4-3 in 2009 and that is entirely Mike Shanahan's fault. In fact, 5 out of the last 6 years this team played a 4-3 before Shanny the defense was ranked in the top 10. It was changed only because of Shanahan's ego and ultimately it should be the reason he is fired.

Doesn't matter who the interim coach might. This defense won't improve.

That defense was aging and expensive in addition to being overrated. It needed to be rebuilt one way or another and there's no reason building a 4-3 would have magically made the rebuild easier.

Second, what pjfootballer said in post 64. He nailed it.

Third, the vast majority of our problems are in the backfield, and it really doesn't matter if it's a 3-4 or 4-3 in front of them.

People really need to let this go.

If Cofield is a good NT, you don't mess with good. Pretty much every 3-4 OLB in the league used to be a DE, so there's nothing wrong with them either. Our problem is with the coaches.

Cofield is actually a better 3 technique than a NT. Hes quick he should be shooting gaps not containing blocks. He not big or powerful enough to do NT things. I do believe our players can prosper in a Cover 2.

That defense was aging and expensive in addition to being overrated. It needed to be rebuilt one way or another and there's no reason building a 4-3 would have magically made the rebuild easier.

Second, what pjfootballer said in post 64. He nailed it.

Third, the vast majority of our problems are in the backfield, and it really doesn't matter if it's a 3-4 or 4-3 in front of them.

People really need to let this go.

Actually it does matter because our best pass rusher have other responsibilities like covering TEs, RBs, or even WRs. In a 4-3 they sole responsibility is to rush the passer.

Archived