Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hypothetical: If Haslett Gets Turfed, Who Steps Up As Interim Dc?

Chadwiko

Actually it does matter because our best pass rusher have other responsibilities like covering TEs, RBs, or even WRs. In a 4-3 they sole responsibility is to rush the passer.

About 2% of the coverage issues relate to Orakpo/Kerrigan in coverage. And those would be made very very slightly better with the average 4-3 OLB in their stead.

And the difference in the standard 5 man rush is a DE in a 3-4, an OLB in a 4-3. The former is generally stronger.

We really do have to get HAslett out of here.  And I love the Lovie Smith talk, would be amazing if we were able to snag him.  In my opinion theres very few DCs who actually can turn a defense around just with a scheme.  Wade Phillips, for example, was able to take Houston from worst D to the best D in one year.  We need a guy like that, and I feel Lovie could do it. 

IF Haslett gets fired midway through, get Raheem to take over.

I think Lovie Smith is a really good coach - but he is not a 3-4 guy. He has been a 4-3 Cover 2 guy for years. If we do fire Haslett I think it will after the season simply because there are not good candidates out there for a mid season hire, count me as unimpressed with Raheem based on the mess our secondary is (although I know personnel is a big part of that).

If we do make a change for next year - and we really must - I'd like to see a younger guy who has 3-4 experience in an attacking system. I'd love us to bring Lou Spanos back (he is the DC at UCLA currently).

This may be a stupid question , but are we really positioned properly to be a 3-4 defense? Barry Cofield is a good NT, but he is really a DT moved to the NT position. Kerrigan and Rak are true DE's moved to LB. If we are positioned player wise to be a 4-3, would it be really that far of a stretch to bring in a 4-3 DC?

I know that there is a lot more than this to be a 3-4, but the players on the team just seem to be 4-3 scheme guys.

Again, sorry for a stupid question.

I don't know why you think this - we have been signing and drafting guys for a 3-4 front 7 since Shanny got here and for the most part these guys are working out. It's the secondary which is a mess and that has nothing to do with 4-3 or 3-4.

About 2% of the coverage issues relate to Orakpo/Kerrigan in coverage. And those would be made very very slightly better with the average 4-3 OLB in their stead.

And the difference in the standard 5 man rush is a DE in a 3-4, an OLB in a 4-3. The former is generally stronger.

I disagree with the 2% you're talking about. Rak gave up a TD pass on 3rd and long to a rookie TE. That wasn't 2% of lions offense. It was 30% of the lions score. And the main thing on 3rd and long we have our best pass rusher in coverage. That's what you get in a 3-4. While in a 4-3 our best pass rusher is doing what he does best and that is to rush the passer. And we have a LB or CB that is better than Rak in coverage. This defense doesn't put our players in the best situation to succeed. There should never be a 3rd and long and Rak or Kerrigan are in coverage. Never.

Cofield is actually a better 3 technique than a NT. Hes quick he should be shooting gaps not containing blocks. He not big or powerful enough to do NT things. I do believe our players can prosper in a.

This. Haslett not using our NT correctly. This is what I've been saying about Haslett. He's not putting the players in the right situation to succeed.

I disagree with the 2% you're talking about. Rak gave up a TD pass on 3rd and long to a rookie TE. That wasn't 2% of lions offense. It was 30% of the lions score. And the main thing on 3rd and long we have our best pass rusher in coverage. That's what you get in a 3-4. While in a 4-3 our best pass rusher is doing what he does best and that is to rush the passer. And we have a LB or CB that is better than Rak in coverage. This defense doesn't put our players in the best situation to succeed. There should never be a 3rd and long and Rak or Kerrigan are in coverage. Never.

Merriwhether was supposed to be the guy making that play. Again, the majority of the time we rush 5. When Kerrigan or Orakpo are in coverage it's generally just underneath zone. If you want to believe the thing that makes our defense bad is that percentage of the plays being run with Orakpo in space rather than a Rocky McIntosh type, then go ahead, but that's silly. And again the difference on a 5 man rush is a McIntosh type vs a Carriker or J. Jenkins, which is advantage 3-4. But you're ignoring all that.

Regardless, your whole point here is to blame the 3-4 for our defense being bad. About half the league uses the 3-4 and many of the best defenses of this century have been 3-4s (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Francisco, New England), so arguing that the 3-4 is inherently bad and that's the reason for our struggles is not really worth my time and I won't bother with it.

Anyway, my point that started this was that we do not have 4-3 personnel running a 3-4. I stand by that. Our defensive talent is largely geared towards the 3-4, and I think that should be clear to people.

I'm going to throw out the same two names I threw out last year when Has-let-everyone-get-500+-yards should have been fired.

Kirby Smart - Arguably one of the best DC in college football and knows the 3-4.

Kirk Olivadotti - This name should sound very familiar... He's a defensive guru.

Smart would be interesting... but doesn't he run a 4-3 mainly?

If we our D gets shelled in Oakland, I want Haslet fired.

It does not matter who on the staff we replace him with. just pick an assistant. Slows or Morris. Or fire one of them. We dont need them.

The first adjustment I want to see tried, commit to our DC standing on the sideline and looking angry. To make me think someone cares.

Is it really that risky to try instilling a little fear of someones job? dunno.gif

Haslett has to go.  For the last 2 years, injuries were to blame but we just do not have the personnel to run his blitz crazy scheme.

I prefer the 3-4 but it takes about 3 full seasons to switch over and fully commit to another style.  We could switch over to the Tampa 2 since we have the manpower for it (save for Fletcher).

I watched the Detroit game again....I figured out the main problems on defense (tendencies).  Fletcher and our safeties.  London does well reading and pursuing the run, albeit slow, but is an absolute liability in passing situations.  Our safeties, do not "roll" over to help the corners which leaves them on islands.  It seems the middle of the defensive field is slow to react.

I know Rhodes may be gay and a distraction, but I say give him a try.  Oh, if it's possible, how can Reed Doughty look even slower??

Wait.....there is 2 SemperFISkins?  WTF?

Haslett has to go.  For the last 2 years, injuries were to blame but we just do not have the personnel to run his blitz crazy scheme.

I prefer the 3-4 but it takes about 3 full seasons to switch over and fully commit to another style.  We could switch over to the Tampa 2 since we have the manpower for it (save for Fletcher).

I watched the Detroit game again....I figured out the main problems on defense (tendencies).  Fletcher and our safeties.  London does well reading and pursuing the run, albeit slow, but is an absolute liability in passing situations.  Our safeties, do not "roll" over to help the corners which leaves them on islands.  It seems the middle of the defensive field is slow to react.

I know Rhodes may be gay and a distraction, but I say give him a try.  Oh, if it's possible, how can Reed Doughty look even slower??

Wait.....there is 2 SemperFISkins?  WTF?

um what?

I never liked the hiring of Haslett as our DC.   When he was hired I always felt like there were better options available.  If I remember correctly I believe he was not even coaching in the NFL when Shanahan hired him as our DC.  And to be fair to Haslett I do not think it is all his fault.   Shanahan bears much of the responsibility because he is the head coach and brought him in.  When the defense is giving up the most yards in the history of the NFL through three weeks, changes need to be made.  People need to be held accountable.  Haslett may need to be the sacrificial lamb to put people on notice.

I'm not going to pretend to have any answers for the defense, but it looks to me like it's a combination of poor game planning / play calling and lack of focus. Can Haslet and put somebody in there who will motivate guys and call a reasonable game. We don't need a genius or massive overhaul (at least not until offseason).

I realize our defense is fundamentally flawed and to make it a GOOD defense it needs a lot of time and new personnel, but our roster isn't so bad that it should be giving up record-pace yardage and this many PPG. This defense should be sub-par but competent if coached properly. There is absolutely no justification for a defense with Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fletcher to be performing literally worse than any defense in NFL history.

Girls on film.

(kidding)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEpxpjlTDZo

Hadn't watched more than short clips of Has for awhile, and few of those...if you're the same, you might find it interesting to observe at length (I'm not dropping any "hints" about anything in particular).

At 2:40 when he's talking about trying to switch around your players at CB & S in various permutations to give you your best chance in match-ups, I was thinking (with no making excuses for Haslett) he should say "but in this league these days, when your secondary personnel is truly a real step below the average pro NFL standard, you're ****ed even before I get to exacerbate the issue."

lmao, that's what I'm thinking. 

He's talking about Kerry Rhodes... The former Safety of the Cardinals who is a still a street Free Agent but hasn't been picked up yet because supposedly the NFL is blacklisting him for possibly being gay.

However, Rhodes was one of the better Safeties in the league last year on a stellar Arizona defense and I've been saying for a while that he should be brought in... Him and Richard Seymour.

Archived