Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Trade Morris?

Redskins Ruckus

With the crap coaching that we have had, who is to say who is tradeable and who is not? Honestly, we don't know which players are good. The next coach would be best served to take this team into the regular season prior to determining any major moves involving players.

Only with the correct amount of time can you determine how well someone will fit your scheme. I don't think you trade any players this offseason and you don't make any major re-signings. You look at solid players in free agency (not superstars) then you move on from there.

I really think that any coach that comes to this team is looking at a gold mine. You have a starting QB, WR, RB, a Tackle, and possibly a tight end on offense. You can shape the defense however you want, a ton of free agents there. In fact, you can shape the team however you want. The picks are full, with the exception of our first round pick this year.

The time to change coaches is now. The time to change players is next year.

My 2 cents.

Hm.  Morris' production from last year has been pretty badly downplayed.  Kind of like RG3's is too actually...I always forget, always end up asking, and I think was NLC who posted the records, marks, everything of what RG3 did last year.  There's so many, you would think they're cherry picked nonsense, but they aren't.  It was pretty incredible, as was Alfred.

Some of that is scheme, some of that is #10, some of that is the scoreboard, whatever.  The point is, it's there, and it works, and it put up the best rushing attack in the league, with the potential of the most dangerous play action passing game in the league.  In the league.  We can't just think Helu produces that, and I think it's particularly crazy to think another 6th rounder can do that.  All this "Shannahan, or any coach can find great RBs in late rounds, it's not that crazy".  Please.

Also, the thing Shanny liked about Alfred, and what sounds like blah blah cliche talk....but rings true, is the way he always gets a few yards.  Plays that should be losses or plays that should be 2nd and 10 are almost automatically 2nd and 6 or so with Alfred.  That completely changes the playbook, that is huge.  His YPC is huge.  The eye test itself, his patience in finding cutbacks.  Almost never makes the wrong decision.  Hell, I don't even really care that he's also a great person lol.  

He's on pace for what. 1,400?  Those are tons of little individual efforts that are getting to these numbers, not just RG3 or Shannahan's scheme.  Efforts that involved getting hit really hard, and if I'm not mistaken, dude hasn't even been close to missing a game.

It is a fun hypothetical to discuss, and it's not that crazy.  It's a little crazy, but little ole me and others aren't the only ones that see what Alfred does.  Football people that run football teams see it, and you just never know.  But I've already accepted we don't have a first, and I'm not worried about it.  We can do without it.  We already used it, and I still would for RG3.  So we can't have our cake and eat it too, and I'm not using that missing pick as leverage in the decision.  Those 2 together is ****ing magic.

Speaking of hypothetical's, what if Shanny gets a job somewhere else and convinces them to trade for Alfred, hm?  ;)  

It amazes me seeing all these "for a 1st rounder" comments. Have we learned nothing from Trent Richardson (among other 1st round RB busts)??? Morris isn't just one of the best backs in the game, he is also one of the most humble, respectful, and driven backs out there. We don't have some injury prone, selfish guy in Morris, he's someone you build a team around. I will go out on a limb (and not even much of a reach, I might add), but Alfred Morris could end up being to us, what Tom Brady was to the Pats. 5+ rounds worth of drafting, and no one saw this gem but us. And just like the Pats, we found a future great in the 6th round. You trade this guy for a 1st rounder, and you have no clue what you're getting. We know what Morris is, amazing. 

There are two harsh realities to face with a RB in today's NFL:

- They have a very short shelf life

- With a top-level QB there is not much money left for other top-level contracts on your cap

In both regards we are living the good life. AlMo has about ~500 career carries now, and RG3 is still on his rookie deal. I love Alfred to death, love him love him love him... but his career will not exceed Roberts. I would seriously think about trading him around the 1000-1200 carry mark. NFL RBs definitely hit a wall around 2k carries,

Think for a moment.  You just said RBs hit the wall at 2k and you would trade him now around 1 - 1.2k.  Assuming you're correct about the 2k wall, then who on Earth is going to give you any value?  There are way too many people that don't look at the other side of a trade they propose.  I've proposed trading Cousins for a 2nd, which we could get IF a team needs a QB AND would prefer to use their 1st rounder on a blue-chip prospect at another position, but that's because there's an upside to that team (they get Clowney, Barr, etc).  You trade a 2nd for AlMo when, by your theory, he's at least half used up? 

I said in the beginning of this thread i would trade him for a 1st round pick.  That was at the beginning of the season.  Changed my mind completely, unless we are talking top 7 number 1 pick.  With Morris the D must respect the run which plays huge dividends on all parts of the play book.

I think today we will see the offense be all world.  Its true the boys are coming to play with a bunch of no names in most of their D but still Morris took them to school in the last game last year and I think he will take them to school today, setting up play action after play action for KC.  If KC is accurate with those play actions passes it will open the running game of Morris that much more.  He could easily go for 150 in this game and against NY, which will give him close to another 1500 yard season.

There is a price were almost everyone is tradeable.

However in the real world we have some key building blocks in place which give us the solid foundation for a very very good offense for the next few years. We have a young franchise LT, a young QB who has the potential to be a franchise guy, a very very good young receiver (if not quite elite) and a pro bowl quality young running back.

Can we stop talking about trading those pieces away please? The job is building around them not moving them on and trying to replace them.

Was that not clear? I'm pretty sure smart teams feel the same way. Remember when NE traded Seymour? If someone wants a player, you listen. If they make an offer you can't refuse, you do the deal. We're looking at our third losing season in four years. Should anyone be considered untradeable? I don't think so.

Yeah, but Al Davis is dead.

I agree trade Morris and Hazlett. Their units are by far the weakest links on this team. Lets get some real DCoord's on this team.

Alfred was/is a big part of this teams success...can we keep the kid around for more than a season before we start the clarion calls to trade him for 673 first round draft picks.

Lol yeah I'd love to trade those two. Anything The Redskins would get for them would be a steal. A sixth round draft pick; a third string special teamer; a bucket of fried chicken I'd take anything at this point.

For the right price, there's not a player on this roster I wouldn't trade.

I agree with you, the ultimate goal is a championship and to acheive that goal nothing is off the table imo. I certainly wouldnt give Morris away but if the right deal came along I would listen, there is no harm in doing that

Id say trade him , if you can get a good pick or too why not. Rbs do not have a very long shelf life and there really not hard to find/ grab. I think Draft picks or a trade to a postion that is in more need would be the best idea .  I wanted the Eagles to trade McCoy a couple years back when we were struggling . Yea he is a top back in the leauge but there easy to replace. Eagles right now have Shady , Brown and Polk all really good Rbs .  Get what yuo can from him while you can . Right now Skins are going to be rebuilding and have a lot of changes. So if your going to do it  , now is the time

If Shanahan stays I would seriously consider a trade for a #1. Contrary to doubters Helu is a damn good back. Go look at his stats on NFL.com. Look where he ranks and remember he has hardly seen the ball. With Helu in the fold and Shanahan here with his record of finding that next great RB in late rounds I don't know how you don't consider it.  I don't see it happening though.

Yeah, sure, what the hell....why not trade Trent, Garçon, Jordan Reed and any other talent on the roster so we can get hypothetical talent. I bet the Vikings really loved it when they traded Randy moss and drafted Troy Williamson in the top 10....

Stud, top 5 back that you're paying 6th round money too, let's deal em'. Stop worshipping draft choices over the talent you already have, my god.

I'd trade him for a #1.

I'd also be probably trade Reed for a #1 based on his injury situation, but I doubt you'll get a #1 for him.

LT has more value than a RB.  Garcon would actually be a question mark in terms of making the trade.  How high is the pick?  What are the doctors saying about his toe long term?

The key is that I don't think this team is close to being really good.

I'd trade him for a #1.

I'd also be probably trade Reed for a #1 based on his injury situation, but I doubt you'll get a #1 for him.

LT has more value than a RB.  Garcon would actually be a question mark in terms of making the trade.  How high is the pick?  What are the doctors saying about his toe long term?

The key is that I don't think this team is close to being really good.

seriously?  he's playing like a 1st round pick ... a HIGH 1st round pick and there's not uncertainty to worry about with someone who hasn't played in the NFL yet.  If you can't get 2 great players for him then why bother?  He is a great player.  And only Vinny Cerato would give you two 24 year old pro bowl starting players for Morris ... might be nice (I don't really think so) but its not going to happen.

If the price is right I would even as good as he's been. The running game just isn't as important in the NFL anymore. We have one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL this year. Where has it gotten us? Think Stephen Jackson with the Rams. This is a passing league first and foremost now.

I think the talent you already have is better than potential. So we trade morris and there is just another hole to fill. You also have to spend another pick on a RB when you could have already had one and could have bolstered special teams with that pick.

I get that no player is safe for the right price, but I think this team needs to hang on to their young talent.

Griffin, Morris, Reed, Garçon, Williams is a nice base to start with for the next regime. I think helu, paulsen, hankerson, and Robinson are good role players. Rebuild this offensive line and add another play maker and I think we would be in good shape on O.

Archived