Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Trade Morris?

Redskins Ruckus

In light of the shocking Trent Richardson deal, an interesting debate would be wether or not you would give up Alfred Morris to another team, right now, for a 1st round draft pick. They are similar in that they are both viewed as quality, top RBs with a lot of potential. They are both loved by their fan-bases, and are good people.

For me the answer is very, very simple: YES. Mike Shanahan can find these guys in Round 5+. I see no reason why we wouldn't, if the situation presented itself.

For a 1st round pick in 2014 absolutely. Not going to happen though.

The Richardson trade is interesting - I can see why they have done it but it's essentially waving the white flag on this year after 2 games. It's going to be really hard to motivate players in that locker room for the rest of the year - could get ugly!

Agreed. I think it's a rediculously awesome trade for the Browns. Of all positions, RBs don't last too long, and though it is mighy painful right now, it is gold for the Browns's future.

Morris for a 1st Round pick would be platinum for the 'Skins. I'm not suggesting it would happen. This thread is just about day-dreaming.

If Indy had come to Shanahan, I think he would have done it in a heartbeat.

That scenario specifically (Morris for a 1st), you almost have to. At a position like RB where non-premier players put up numbers almost regularly and careers are so short, to recoup a 1st is rare. It's very likely that Morris can have a nice, long career and never approach the numbers he put up last year.

Griffin, Williams, Cousins, and Kerrigan aside, I think I would trade anyone on our current roster immediately for a first. It's possible that I left out a player or two...

That scenario specifically (Morris for a 1st), you almost have to. At a position like RB where non-premier players put up numbers almost regularly and careers are so short, to recoup a 1st is rare. It's very likely that Morris can have a nice, long career and never approach the numbers he put up last year.

Griffin, Williams, Cousins, and Kerrigan aside, I think I would trade anyone on our current roster immediately for a first. It's possible that I left out a player or two...

I very likely would trade Cousins for a first this year as well... part of it is looking at how we've performed and part is a value play.

I very likely would trade Cousins for a first this year as well... part of it is looking at how we've performed and part is a value play.

Just because it's clearly the most important position on a team and we have two guys who are pretty good or better, I would probably wait on him until I had to deal him. But I definitely understand why you would do it.

The point is, even if we are a perennial 10+ win team, there are no more than a handful of players that are worth more than a first. I'm sure people could find a case for trading Kerrigan too (I would guess we all agree that QB1 and LT are untouchable when they are as good as ours are).

Lawd I HATE that Madden video game sometimes.

Why?

Glad to see the majority are using their heads over their hearts.

For a 2014 first rounder, it's a nobrainer. HELL YES!

And with the word being the Browns are through with Weeden, I'm in the 'phone first thing this AM seeing what they'd give for Cousins.

Hail.

It sounds like the Browns are trying to position themselves to take a franchise QB in next years draft (I think the ESPN article mentioned Bridgewater and Boyd as examples) but it would be very interesting to see if they would go after Cousins instead. I don't think either team would do anything during the season but as soon as the season ends things could heat up quickly.

The Richardson trade is interesting - I can see why they have done it but it's essentially waving the white flag on this year after 2 games. It's going to be really hard to motivate players in that locker room for the rest of the year - could get ugly!

The uglier it gets the closer they are to Teddy Bridgewater or Clowney. 

I would in a heartbeat.  Even since he's been here, Shanahan's made running backs.  Torain, Royster, and Helu all ran for 4.5 - 5 yards+ a carry.  He'll find another Alfred Morris on the cheap..  

And yet until Morris our run game has not been a settled unit most had confidence in.  Torain and Helu we know can't carry the load and Roster isn't as good as Morris.

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade Morris for a 1st, but it's not as simple as Shanahan can find top backs anywhere.  Morris is one, none of the others we've brought in under Mike have shown that.

As for the Browns,I  feel sorry for their fans.  The only way is up now they've admitted Weeden never was and never will be an NFL QB.  Hopefully, for them,  no muppets are left in their decision making process that could think such absurdity.

It's hard to say right now if they would trade him.  There are high expectations on the season, it's only 2 games in and the Skins can still turn things around in a weak division.  I think if a team came to Shanahan and Allen with a deal they thought would make this team better then they'd trade Morris but not now.  If the Skins are 0-4 at the bye then things could change.  Shanahan traded Portis who was averaging 5.8 yrds a carry after 2 years because they thought Bailey made them better and they got a 2nd rd pick.  The only difference in that situation was it was the offseason and Portis was demanding a new contract already.   

And yet until Morris our run game has not been a settled unit most had confidence in.  Torain and Helu we know can't carry the load and Roster isn't as good as Morris.

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade Morris for a 1st, but it's not as simple as Shanahan can find top backs anywhere.  Morris is one, none of the others we've brought in under Mike have shown that.

As for the Browns,I  feel sorry for their fans.  The only way is up now they've admitted Weeden never was and never will be an NFL QB.  Hopefully, for them,  no muppets are left in their decision making process that could think such absurdity.

I think we're seeing that until RG3, our run game wasn't settled. 

And Morris hasn't shown any longevity, so I don't see how people can be so definitive that he's different than the rest of Shanahan's backs.  

It's hard to say right now if they would trade him.  There are high expectations on the season, it's only 2 games in and the Skins can still turn things around in a weak division.  I think if a team came to Shanahan and Allen with a deal they thought would make this team better then they'd trade Morris but not now.  If the Skins are 0-4 at the bye then things could change.  Shanahan traded Portis who was averaging 5.8 yrds a carry after 2 years because they thought Bailey made them better and they got a 2nd rd pick.  The only difference in that situation was it was the offseason and Portis was demanding a new contract already.   

I don't think the current season should have much to do with it to be perfectly honest. If you can ever get a first for nearly any player on your team, you have to strongly consider it. That goes for Garcon, Morris, Fletcher, Cofield, whoever. The exceptions on our team would be Griffin, Williams, Kerrigan, and (my opinion here) Cousins. You could make the case for a couple other guys. A running back for a first is robbery.

Here's the rub: trade AlMo and RG3 will be down for the season by game 6. None of the other RBs on our roster are worth a damn, and RG3 is a whole lot better on play-action. Take away the running threat, and teams will be gunning for him, eager to take him out..

Completely and utterly disagree.

The Butler doesn't make the run game in this scheme. 10 does. Take away the threat of 10 running, and Morris gets shut down to a large extent. He's the perfect back for our system. But without the threat of Robert running, you have NO system.

Helu for me could be just as effective and arguably more devastating having the speed and athletic ability Alfred doesn't. All hypothetical, but if Helu doesn't go down last pre-season and stays healthy, I think he has a great year and Morris stays unheard of on the PS. The problem is keeping Helu healthy.

I really like The Butler FWIW. But let's not be making out he's irreplaceable. Barry or Emmit he most certainly is not.

Hail.

Why not?  Richardson, who produced much less, got a first round pick from Indy.

Archived