Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would You Trade Morris?

Redskins Ruckus

I really like Morris - but for a 1st for a RB - I think that would be hard to turn down. Or more specifically a RB who was selected in the 6th round - that is a hell of a draft profit .

That said I hate the trade of Richardson for so many reasons . He was the 3rd overall pick - As a team you have to try and get something out of that player on the field  - breaking even (and there is no way they break even in the draft value) is a great way to go bust . If they had someone who was 'as good' I might understand it but giving up on a player in year two never sends a good signal .

From the Colts point of view I don't like it that much either because I simply don't think RBs are in todays NFL worth a 1st round pick and it is not like Richardson has been tearing it up and I would have thought he would have suited Norv Turners offense but he has tonnes of potential and he could realize it in Indy - I dont think it is going to happen this year but I think Indy is going to be good again quickly ...

I wouldn't trade Al Mo for anything.  Not even a first round pick.  That's how good I think he is, and how good I think he can be.

But, I'm not Shanny.  Shanny ain't gonna pay Al Mo top 10 RB money, even when he earns it.  I've said it before, but I think Al Mo will be playing ball elsewhere when his rookie contract is up.  That's just my two cents. 

What if AlMo doesn't want top 10 RB money?  What if he says something like middle-of-the-pack is fine if it leaves more cap room for the roster?

No, I wouldn't trade Morris as he is the only speed the Skins have now with RG3 hurt. You have to have a back with speed. Take away Morris and there is nothing. The man almost had 1600 yards rushing in his rookie season so there is no way I would trade him. He will only get better with time.

Usually trades like the one for Richardson end up crashing and burning. You know all the star players the skins have got in the past that were busts.

The draft isn't a stock market, taking a 6th pick and turning it into a 1st round pick is meaningless unless the player resulting from it is better than the one you traded.

Or at least of more value to the team. Right now a competent safety or above average corner would be huge for us. A running back does nothing for a team that's down 30 points at halftime.

Id be curious to know who initiated the trade between the Colts and Browns. It's my belief that the Browns shopped Richardson in an attempt to gain a 1st round pick, giving them 2 1sts in next year's draft. I believe they plan to use those picks to either select whatever QB they have their eye on (assuming they wind up with the 1st pick overall--unless the Jags steal that honor) or use the picks to move up to grab that handpicked, franchise QB.

This is where the Browns and Redskins are different at this point. The Redskins already have their franchise QB. So needing to trade a valuable commodity such as Morris is not as great to a team like the Redskins. Now, Im not saying the Skins shouldn't trade Morris if an offer like that came up. All Im saying is that a trade like that makes far more sense for a team like the Browns who are desperate for a franchise QB, just like the Redskins were in 2011.

This is a QB league and I get it, productive RBs can be found everywhere (Morris in the 6th round, case and point) but once you realize a player's potential and what they really mean to your team, shipping them off for a future pick can also have negative consequences to the moral of that team.  One of the reasons Morris had such a terrific year last year was that he played in all 16 games. you could count on him. He stayed healthy at on of the game's most injury-prone positions. He appears to be a very durable player as opposed to some of the games other elite RBs--Like Trent Richardson.

Or at least of more value to the team. Right now a competent safety or above average corner would be huge for us. A running back does nothing for a team that's down 30 points at halftime.

Short sighted. That looks only at this season and diminishes the teams talent level.

Sure was. Which is what I was referencing above your post.

For a pro bowl corner, who is still there, and a 2nd round pick. If someone offers the skins a young three time pro bowl DB then you have to look at that, but certainly not for just a pick.

The major difference between Richardson & Morris is that Richardson was worth the trade because he hasn't shown anything that made him worth the 3rd overall pick in the draft.  I wouldn't deal Morris because he was a monster last year and is now averaging over 6YPC so it definitely wasn't a fluke.  The Colts are taking a major risk trading a premium draft choice for a guy who has averaged less than 4YPC.

I like Cousins. A lot. But he is not, and never will be the starter unless Robert cannot take the field. I think he will be an NFL starter some day, but barring a career ending injury to Robert in the next year or two, Cousins will NOT be the starting QB for the Washington Redskins.

I think you are about 95% correct. :)

I do think that Griffin's durability over the next 2+ years will very much factor in to our path forward at QB post-2015. If he misses time in each of the next 2 seasons, I think there is a small, but real possibility that the organization thinks it's safer to move forward with Cousins.

We are several bad events away from that being a possibility, but I think it's a possibility nonetheless.

Short sighted. That looks only at this season and diminishes the teams talent level.

Again, a running back is useless when your defense can't stop anyone. A team with a terrible defense and a good running game is not going to win anything. In fact these days, teams with good running games don't win championships any more than teams with bad ones. 

Diminishing the team's overall talent level is irrelevant, there isn't some numerical talent score we have to keep. What we need is talent in the right places. Right now we don't have it.

I would rarely ever consider drafting an RB in the first or second round. If someone offered me a first or second round pick for mine, I would almost always take it.

Where have you been??

I don't get the 'Monte Hall Let's Make a Deal' mentality.

We get a very good back in Morris, and immediately some want to trade him away for the 'chance' of what is behind dorr #2.

Its not guaranteed Mike will get that lucky again, even considering his history; if it was absolute certainty, thats different, but its not. Besides, it was Mike's scheme just as much as it was the player.

Again, a running back is useless when your defense can't stop anyone. A team with a terrible defense and a good running game is not going to win anything. In fact these days, teams with good running games don't win championships any more than teams with bad ones. 

Diminishing the team's overall talent level is irrelevant, there isn't some numerical talent score we have to keep. What we need is talent in the right places. Right now we don't have it.

Again, short sighted. The defense is terrible right now. That doesn't mean that they will be next season or even all of this season. You could end up damaging the skins offense to a greater extent than you improve the defense and end up creating more needs.  If the team has player that are expendable, and that's a big if, Morris isn't one of them.  

I also don't think that this teams inability to defend the run or pass are going to go away with the addition of one competent safety.  The linebackers are bad in coverage, the corners are too, the safeties are bad at virtually everything, and the coaches don't seem interested in challenging short completions... even on 3rd and short.   

Archived