Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nat'ljournal: North East Colorado Is Getting Ready To Secede [From The State Of Colorado, To Form A New State]

Ellis

A legitimate complaint. (Assuming it's true.)

Gerrymandering sucks.

Really wish there was some way to make districting impartial. I'd love the idea of, say, mandating that the state go to Google Districts, or some such. Have districts drawn by a computer which is not allowed to be told how a particular neighborhood votes.

In California we just took away the power to redistrict from the legislature and moved it to a non-partisan citizens' commission with court oversight.  Gerrymandering is dead here.

Might be the first good use of the California initiative process since 1925.

Doesn't surprise me at all.  I traveled in and covered many of these counties for my work when I lived in CO and they are very rural farming communities.  They feel they are getting screwed over by urban Colorado (particularly the counties of Denver, Arapahoe, Jefferson & Douglas, and somewhat with El Paso) and I can't say I blame them; their livelihoods are being threatened and not being protected by the urban decision makers (particularly the environmentalist movement).  I doubt they will be successful with this, but I wish them luck.  

Growing up in rural northern California, rich with natural resources, water sources that are used to supply much of the state's water and farming communities, I know my family and people in my community and surrounding counties would really love to secede from SoCal and even part of what is considered NoCal right now (primarily Bay area).  Many of us are sick of those south of us pushing their environmentalist agendas on us (as well as being sick of the feds doing so) when in reality, they have no freaking clue about the communities up here and how they would be detrimentally affected by many of these policies.  First example that comes to mind is the current effort to remove the Klamath River dams.  So yes, I can absolutely identify with feeling disenfranchised when it comes to issues in your community being primarily decided by people in the bigger cities who are pretty much completely out of touch with the issues in your county.  It sucks and I can see why they'd be angry and motivated to secede.

Yeah, I'd read about that.

But, really, how do you make a non-political group of people? How do you keep the "people's commission" from being occupied by partisans and sock puppets?

I'd love to know.

http://wedrawthelines.ca.gov/commission.html

The 14-member Commission is made up of five Republicans, five Democrats, and 4 not affiliated with either of those two parties but registered with another party or as decline-to-state. The Commission must draw the district lines in conformity with strict, nonpartisan rules designed to create districts of relatively equal population that will provide fair representation for all Californians. The Commission must hold public hearings and accept public comment. After hearing from the public and drawing the maps for the House of Representatives districts, 40 Senate districts, 80 Assembly districts, and four Board of Equalization districts, the Commission must vote on the new maps to be used for the next decade. To approve the new maps, the maps must receive nine “yes” votes from the Commission—three “yes” votes from members registered with the two largest parties, and three “yes” votes from the other members.

The 14-member Commission is made up of five Republicans, five Democrats, and 4 not affiliated with either of those two parties but registered with another party or as decline-to-state. The Commission must draw the district lines in conformity with strict, nonpartisan rules designed to create districts of relatively equal population that will provide fair representation for all Californians. The Commission must hold public hearings and accept public comment. After hearing from the public and drawing the maps for the House of Representatives districts, 40 Senate districts, 80 Assembly districts, and four Board of Equalization districts, the Commission must vote on the new maps to be used for the next decade. To approve the new maps, the maps must receive nine “yes” votes from the Commission—three “yes” votes from members registered with the two largest parties, and three “yes” votes from the other members.

funny, because here on the local Denver news a few weeks ago ago, there was a county in northeast Colorado that was looking to pass a law that would allow citizens to shoot down drones LOLOL.

found the link:  http://www.infowars.com/colorado-town-considers-drone-hunting-ordinance/

and its crazy, because the Denver-Boulder-Colorado Springs corridor has got to be one of the top 3 most liberal areas in the United States.  But you go 50-+ miles east of Denver going towards Kansas....and boy oh boy.  Them some tobacco chewin', tractor ridin', cow hurdin', cowboy boots wearin', shotgun lovin' folk.  not that there's anyting wrong with that....but its a different world out there in eastern colorado.

My only thought is that I hope it works, but only because I would like there to be a precedence set so that NoVa can secede from the rest of Virginia, which I am highly in favor of, primarily for economic reasons.  

As if northern virginians are somehow responsible for the wealth.

Federal Government leaches, the entire area.  You'd think people in NOVA SOMD would be appreciative.  :)

As if northern virginians are somehow responsible for the wealth.

Federal Government leaches, the entire area.  You'd think people in NOVA SOMD would be appreciative.  :)

I'd rather be a rich leach than . . . in Tennessee.   :)

At least NoVa folks DO WORK for the federal government, along with being the most highly educated region in the country.  RoVa people don't do ****, they just take.

• 6 months later...

Speaking of split states; this guys wants to split California into 6 little states.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/6-Californias-plan-is-no-stunt-Riskmaster-5264104.php

Maybe the time has come to split the United States into 2 countries given the polarization on many issues. 

Maybe that's a stupid idea, and would only serve to destroy  our country.

Maybe the people causing all the polarization can step away from the edge, and quit pulling the pin out of the grenade on every single issue that comes along.

Politics doesn't spur this divide.

selfish bull**** and the "politics" of "we will not do our jobs so long as a democrat is in the white house." is what is causing this divide. 

Many many many people in the past history of this nation have learned that you don't have to agree with or like the other party to try and work for the best solutions between each other. These Neo-Cons have taken this great tradition, this great strength of ours, and kicked it to the curb.

Their way or the highway.

When the GOP tells you that their mission over the first term is to stop a second term, and then tells you after that fails that their mission is to slow a second term to a halt, then reasonable people need to recognize that disagreement is not causing this divide. 

Childish, ignorant, and downright anti-American behavior is.

Besides, there already is a country that holds all the same conservative values all of them want. It's called Russia, and they are welcome to go make their home there if how things are done in America isn't to their liking.  Over there the Most Money makes the laws, you can **** on gay people all day, you can exploit the poor and workers all you damn well want, there is no diversity, and religion is a legal method to determine if someone should work for you.

Corruption and oligarchy reigns supreme. A Neo Con paradise.

And that is not a joke,, if you take all of the dear Neo Con values and look, Russia follows their book almost to the letter.

No need to wreck America. Russia is all set up with all the values these clowns want.

Maybe we should split our country in two..

I'd laugh, but that's pathetic.

~Bang

Great post Bang. I've been saying for years that we need to break up the two party system in this country. So much bickering and complaining about the other party. Maybe the GOP needs to stop worrying so damn much about what Democrats are doing and fix their own damn house. Meaning, try to find a viable candidate for the next election instead of the scrubs they've been putting out there. No matter who is elected in 2016, all sides need to start working together for the better of the country. It's imperative.

Maybe that's a stupid idea, and would only serve to destroy  our country.

Maybe the people causing all the polarization can step away from the edge, and quit pulling the pin out of the grenade on every single issue that comes along.

Politics doesn't spur this divide.

selfish bull**** and the "politics" of "we will not do our jobs so long as a democrat is in the white house." is what is causing this divide. 

Many many many people in the past history of this nation have learned that you don't have to agree with or like the other party to try and work for the best solutions between each other. These Neo-Cons have taken this great tgraditio, this great strength of ours, and kicked it to the cvurb.

Their way or the highway.

When the GOP tells you that their mission over the first term is to stop a second term, and then tells you after that fails that their mission is to slow a second term to a halt, then reasonable people need to recognize that disagreement is not causing this divide. 

Childish, ignorant, and downright anti-American behavior is.

Besides, there already is a country that holds all the same conservative values all of them want. It's called Russia, and they are welcome to go make their home there if how things are done in America isn't to their liking.  Over there the Most Money makes the laws, you can **** on gay people all day, you can exploit the poor and workers all you damn well want, there is no diversity, and religion is a legal method to determine if someone should work for you.

Corruption and oligarchy reigns supreme. A Neo Con paradise.

And that is not a joke,, if you take all of the dear Neo Con values and look, Russia follows their book almost to the letter.

No need to wreck America. Russia is all set up with all the values these clowns want.

Maybe we should split our country in two..

I'd laugh, but that's pathetic.

~Bang

Right on, Bang, right on.

It really is sad how things have become so black & white in the US political scene. The art of the compromise is dead.

Secession? Yeah, right. That's right up there with "I'll be dead or in jail if Obama is elected."

Secession has a process. I have no problem with residence of states attempting to create there own state if they feel the state govt isn't meeting their needs.

I don't think it will ever work. But I don't think it's unamerican. Lots of existing states exist because areas decided to leave other states.

And the comparison to those claiming they will die or be arrested if Obama won is wrong. They should compare to those claiming they would leave the US if Bush won

I do wonder how states would be set up today if everybody had a vote on different proposals. I think in the DMV you'd see Western MD break off and join maybe WV. The rest might join with NoVa and create a new state with D.C. included.

The Dakota's might join together. Cali might split. Texas too. East and West PA? I don't know.

Either way, if people really want to break off. Then all the power to them. If its another astroturfed movement....then cram it. 

You might  also see the Maryland Eastern Shore split off from the rest of the state. 

My only thought is that I hope it works, but only because I would like there to be a precedence set so that NoVa can secede from the rest of Virginia, which I am highly in favor of, primarily for economic reasons.  

And, within 5 years, most people who currently live in NoVA would be moving south because the taxes would be so high. You want to live where it would be like if Northern Virginia were it's own state, move to NW DC.

And the comparison to those claiming they will die or be arrested if Obama won is wrong. They should compare to those claiming they would leave the US if Bush won

Yeah, like the Democrats have the market on claims to leave the country if xyz happens. You know, like claiming to leave the country if the healthcare bill is passed:

"Responding to a caller who asked him where he would go for health care if Congress enacts reform, Limbaugh replied, "I don't know. I'll just tell you this, if this passes and it's five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented -- I am leaving the country. I'll go to Costa Rica."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/85685-limbaugh-says-hell-leave-us-if-healthcare-implemented

Alas, I think there's a weight restriction in Costa Rica.

Yeah, like the Democrats have the market on claims to leave the country if xyz happens. You know, like claiming to leave the country if the healthcare bill is passed:

"Responding to a caller who asked him where he would go for health care if Congress enacts reform, Limbaugh replied, "I don't know. I'll just tell you this, if this passes and it's five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented -- I am leaving the country. I'll go to Costa Rica."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/85685-limbaugh-says-hell-leave-us-if-healthcare-implemented

...and universal health care.

Constitutional question- Could other counties from other states join them and form a single, non continuous state?

Absolutely,  but not by popular sovereignty.   States are created by acts of Congress,  not by popular vote...    And what do you think the chances are of getting North Colorado recognized by congress due to democratic control of the Colorado legislature?   ZERO...

West Virginia was created by splitting Virginia in two.   But that was done during the civil war to punish Virginia for succeeding.

If this were possible,  Northern Virginia would have succeeded from Southern Virginia decades ago.    It's not possible...

I've heard California and Texas both have similar programs in the works too.

As a Californian, I don't ever see this state splitting. SoCal needs the North for water, and NorCal needs SoCal for..well..hmmmmmmm...let me get back to you on that.

;)

Northern Virginia needs the Potomac river owned by Maryland for water...  But we would never accept those northern liberal unionists as part of our state no matter how long they petitioned us to merge.  :)

I was responding to the previous post that indicated the GOP had those moronic claims.  Both sides have their share of idiots.

Absolutely,  but not by popular sovereignty.   States are created by acts of Congress,  not by popular vote...    And what do you think the chances are of getting North Colorado recognized by congress due to democratic control of the Colorado legislature?   ZERO...

West Virginia was created by splitting Virginia in two.   But that was done during the civil war to punish Virginia for succeeding.

If this were possible,  Northern Virginia would have succeeded from Southern Virginia decades ago.    It's not possible...

I've heard California and Texas both have similar programs in the works too.

I agree its never going to happen.  But it's a bit over the top to call those attempting it unamerican, or traitors or any other disparaging term of the day. 

If they want to spend their time energy and money attempting to get Congress to act, that's the very much an American idea.

Secession has a process. I have no problem with residence of states attempting to create there own state if they feel the state govt isn't meeting their needs.

I don't think it will ever work. But I don't think it's unamerican. Lots of existing states exist because areas decided to leave other states.

but why should the REST of us give them that?  i have no desire to just hand them two sentate seats, and all the other benefits that statehood confers. 

other states (W.VA, Maine, etc...) were allowed to seceed specifically BECAUSE others wanted to blance some other change.  In retropect it is pretty clear that there shouldn't be two dakotas (just to take a "for instance") but the legilators of the time wanted to blance some short term ledger sheet.

And, within 5 years, most people who currently live in NoVA would be moving south because the taxes would be so high. You want to live where it would be like if Northern Virginia were it's own state, move to NW DC.

are you insane?  taxes in NOVA would either drop if it wasn't banking the resto of the state, or at current tax levels NOVA services would skyrocket.

but why should the REST of us give them that?  i have no desire to just hand them two sentate seats, and all the other benefits that statehood confers. 

other states (W.VA, Maine, etc...) were allowed to seceed specifically BECAUSE others wanted to blance some other change.  In retropect it is pretty clear that there shouldn't be two dakotas (just to take a "for instance") but the legilators of the time wanted to blance some short term ledger sheet.

are you insane?  taxes in NOVA would either drop if it wasn't banking the resto of the state, or at current tax levels NOVA services would skyrocket.

We shouldnt.  And we wont.

Archived