Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions For Week 1 Vs The Eagles

Pastor Troy

I am not sure why people think the Eagles are "loaded" at skill positions.  Macklin, not Jackson is their #1 receiver. Jackson may be the bigger home run threat, but as a WR he is also more one-dimensional and he often gets 1 or 2 big catches a game then disappears for the rest of the game.

With Macklin taking the double-team, the coverage will focus on stopping his big play potential.

McKoy is every bit as legit as advertised.  He will get his yards by the end of the game.

Vick, will probably get a few good scrambles in, but if he is forced to be a pocket passer, especially with his team behind in the game late, you really think he isn't going to find a way to screw things up?

I can see the game going sort of like the Broncos/Ravens.

Eagles come into our house, score a TD early, everyone panics and jumps overboard, the game is a back and forth affair, close or tied at halftime....then the 'Skins impose their will in the second half and Eagles are simply out-manned and unable to keep up in the 2nd half, and 'Skins pull away in the 4th quarter.

28-17

I am not sure why people think the Eagles are "loaded" at skill positions. Macklin, not Jackson is their #1 receiver. Jackson may be the bigger home run threat, but as a WR he is also more one-dimensional and he often gets 1 or 2 big catches a game then disappears for the rest of the game.

This was basically true...with Andy Reid. Truth is no one knows what will be the case now...

You make it sound as if those advantages the offense gets are not significant ones..

And as far as substituting goes...you are close, but not accurate. It's not that the defense gets less time to sub...it prevents them from subbing...

The defense can get subs in at times. It may hinder them from doing it as often but they're able to. Any time an offense makes a sub, the defense is able to match it.

Also, one of the big negatives to these up-tempo offenses that no one seems to even think about... 

Any 3 and out gives almost no recovery time for the Eagles defense if they do indeed run it often. As soon as that happens, I hope the Shanahans run Alfred down the defenses throats the entire game and wear them down. Alfred is very good at that type of running, and then RGIII isn't forced to make too many plays.

So basically, better get some first downs early in drives or that entire scheme backfires. Guys like Brady can get away with it in the NFL. We'll see if Vick can.

The defense can get subs in at times. It may hinder them from doing it as often but they're able to. Any time an offense makes a sub, the defense is able to match it.

Also, one of the big negatives to these up-tempo offenses that no one seems to even think about...

Any 3 and out gives almost no recovery time for the Eagles defense if they do indeed run it often. As soon as that happens, I hope the Shanahans run Alfred down the defenses throats the entire game and wear them down. Alfred is very good at that type of running, and then RGIII isn't forced to make too many plays.

So basically, better get some first downs early in drives or that entire scheme backfires. Guys like Brady can get away with it in the NFL. We'll see if Vick can.

About the up-tempo...chip won't sub if things are going well.

As for your other point...I agree and disagree

While a 3 & out may put pressure on your defense, you live with that. The league has changed so much in the favor of the offensive side, why not emphasize getting the most snaps there? It only makes sense. If you feel your offense can get it done, meaning moving the chains, more often than not...than the law of averages is in your favor.

Where I agree with you is the question of just how well Vick can run this offense. There is certainly reason for optimism...as well as doubt.

I don't doubt Chip's concept though...with the right QB it will work. I think this season Vick will show a little of both. He'll make it work sometimes...and then he will not at other times...

While a 3 & out may put pressure on your defense, you live with that. The league has changed so much in the favor of the offensive side, why not emphasize getting the most snaps there? It only makes sense. If you feel your offense can get it done, meaning moving the chains, more often than not...than the law of averages is in your favor.

Where I agree with you is the question of just how well Vick can run this offense. There is certainly reason for optimism...as well as doubt.

I don't doubt Chip's concept though...with the right QB it will work. I think this season Vick will show a little of both. He'll make it work sometimes...and then he will not at other times...

I agree in the sense that I'm not saying its impossible to do. However, it is in the rules that if the offense is making subs, they're not allowed to purposely speed the next snap up without the defense allowing adjustments too. If a team keeps their substitutions tight the issue isn't as big of a deal as its made out to be. I'm sure if this catches on, defenses will just be more aware of packages and practice substitutions more as well

If you assume in a high-tempo offense the average play is 20-25 seconds to run. You'd already need at least one first down to even give the defense the same resting time as if it was a "typical" 3 and out. The NFL is more offense-heavy than it was, but that can change at any time and I'd argue you need at least two first downs if in a up-tempo set to even give your own defense a decent amount of rest. Once you take that into account, the law of averages isn't necessarily in your favor.

It will be interesting to watch how and when, both with Marrone in Buffalo and Chip in Philly. I just think there are more negatives to it than people seem to think.

I agree in the sense that I'm not saying its impossible to do. However, it is in the rules that if the offense is making subs, they're not allowed to purposely speed the next snap up without the defense allowing adjustments too. If a team keeps their substitutions tight the issue isn't as big of a deal as its made out to be. I'm sure if this catches on, defenses will just be more aware of packages and practice substitutions more as well

If you assume in a high-tempo offense the average play is 20-25 seconds to run. You'd already need at least one first down to even give the defense the same resting time as if it was a "typical" 3 and out. The NFL is more offense-heavy than it was, but that can change at any time and I'd argue you need at least two first downs if in a up-tempo set to even give your own defense a decent amount of rest. Once you take that into account, the law of averages isn't necessarily in your favor.

It will be interesting to watch how and when, both with Marrone in Buffalo and Chip in Philly. I just think there are more negatives to it than people seem to think.

Chip has 3 tempo speeds for the offense... Red, yellow, and green. They are self-explanatory I think. In 'green', we are talking 13-17 seconds I'd say...from whistle to the next snap...so faster than what you're saying. I hear you're point though.

But again, it's about the law of averages. Chip is that confident that the good of it will outweigh the bad more often than not...when the offense is executing properly. It's just his mindset....maximize offensive snaps. I get it. It makes sense to me. Sure there is a possible down side to it. I'm sure Chip is just as aware of it as you and I.

While a 3 & out may put pressure on your defense, you live with that. The league has changed so much in the favor of the offensive side, why not emphasize getting the most snaps there? It only makes sense.

I'm seeing this slogan a lot. (And it reminds me of some of the political slogans I see, in Tailgate.)

The problem with it is that "getting more snaps" is not achieved by snapping the ball quicker. It's achieved by moving the chains.

How many snaps the offense gets is not based on "well, they get to keep the ball for one minute, then they have to give it back". There is no big clock in the end zone, ticking away how long they get to keep the ball.

They get three plays. Whether those plays take 15 seconds on the game clock, or 40, they still get exactly three plays.

Now, yeah, snapping the ball every 15 seconds does imply (it if's maintained) that the game will have more total plays than a "slower" tempo. But whether it has more Philly plays, depends on which team moves the chains better.

I expect the Redskins to win this game.  I say that because the Eagles we bad last year, Vick was horrid, and they have a brand new coach elevated from the College ranks.  The latter reminds me Spurrier, and that didn't work out very well.  Plus, they just switched to a 3-4 defense and they lost a lot of players.  So much transition and lack of continuity strongly suggests a fair degree of growing pains for that team.

We have our starting offensive team returning intact, and we have made upgrades on Defense.  We have a healthy Griffin.  We lost one only one key player, a special teamer.  We run the read option spectacularly well.  Not only is our offense intact, it's healthier than last year, (e.g., no nagging tow for Garcon).  

But Vick overall is a good QB.  Chip Kelly very well may not be Spurier v.2.0.  And they do have some excellent talent remaining on the squad.

It seems the Eagles DBs will be doing that during warm ups.

tumblr_maqbsdTBgi1qf2ulmo1_500.gif

People worry about what Chip might bring to this game, but I am more interested in seeing what the Shanahan Braintrust has in store for them. Teams will be expecting to see/counter what we saw last year, I guarantee there are some new wrinkles ready to remind the Chipster that he's in the pros now.

I'm seeing this slogan a lot. (And it reminds me of some of the political slogans I see, in Tailgate.)

The problem with it is that "getting more snaps" is not achieved by snapping the ball quicker. It's achieved by moving the chains.

How many snaps the offense gets is not based on "well, they get to keep the ball for one minute, then they have to give it back". There is no big clock in the end zone, ticking away how long they get to keep the ball.

They get three plays. Whether those plays take 15 seconds on the game clock, or 40, they still get exactly three plays.

Now, yeah, snapping the ball every 15 seconds does imply (it if's maintained) that the game will have more total plays than a "slower" tempo. But whether it has more Philly plays, depends on which team moves the chains better.

Well that is only obvious.

If the Eagles go 3 & out every 45 seconds, obviously that won't amount to more plays for them or a successful game in general. Obviously execution is important.

But the up tempo offense is also supposed to 'help' offenses have more positive plays and move the chains. It is supposed to help them execute by keeping the defense off balance and guessing more...slowing,or eliminating their substitutions all together for a given drive...etc.

Sure an up tempo offense will still go 3 & out at times... That's football.

But Vick overall is a good QB. Chip Kelly very well may not be Spurier v.2.0. And they do have some excellent talent remaining on the squad.

Outside of coming from college and being known for offense, I can't think of any other Spurrier/Kelly similarities. They are polar opposites in about every other area

With all the unknowns in this game Monday I just don't see how anyone thinks the Skins just walk away with this thing. Its going to be a tough game in my opinion. The Eagles have explosive players at skill positions and the offense and the pace they run it at is going to be more effective than some people are thinking, just the read part of it alone has the same effect on our defense as it does on others when the Skins run it, the rush pauses. If you want to see a preview watch Oregon v UVA today, they still run the same plays and tempo on O.

I think the Philly D is the weak link, but we will have to see how they are transitioning to the 3-4. But I have a feeling something crazy is going to happen Monday night.

30 - 24 Eagles. 

I don't want to get overly optimistic, but here are the big factors in the game:

1.  Eagles have a new head coach and new offense.  That's actually an improvement, but will take time to get down.

2.  The Eagles D was a sieve last year and the DC has admitted he doesn't know what he's got.

3.  Our D has key people back and added improvements.

4.  We're at home.

5.  Riley Cooper is the Eagles #2 WR

6.  RGIII is not a rookie QB.

7.  AlMO is in better shape than last year

8.  Helu is healthy

9.  Fred Davis is back

10.  RGIII inspires everyone on his team to play better

I am not sure why people think the Eagles are "loaded" at skill positions.  Macklin, not Jackson is their #1 receiver. Jackson may be the bigger home run threat, but as a WR he is also more one-dimensional and he often gets 1 or 2 big catches a game then disappears for the rest of the game.

With Macklin taking the double-team, the coverage will focus on stopping his big play potential.

28-17

Maclin is on injured reserve dawg.  We don't have to worry about him this year.

I am predicting 38-16 Redskins. I think we just have to much depth and continuity. The Eagles are incorporating a new defence (spelling Canadian) and a first year head coach. I don't think RG lll will be rusty, i think he will look sharp. We will control the flow of the game with a solid running game. I also think our defence is going to be able to mostly contain their offence. They will have a few big plays offensively, but will primarily be stifled. They will score one TD and the rest of their points will be FG's

Skins by 4. RGIII will have a solid, but non spectacular game (11for 19, 205 yds, 1TD), 170 combined rushing yards, Philly will turn the bowl over 3 times, the last one ending their chances. A win is all that matters ( and staying healthy).

With all the unknowns in this game Monday I just don't see how anyone thinks the Skins just walk away with this thing. Its going to be a tough game in my opinion. The Eagles have explosive players at skill positions and the offense and the pace they run it at is going to be more effective than some people are thinking, just the read part of it alone has the same effect on our defense as it does on others when the Skins run it, the rush pauses. If you want to see a preview watch Oregon v UVA today, they still run the same plays and tempo on O.

I would be more worried if Oregon wasn't still putting up 60 points a game.  Their team has so much more talent than the teams they play its ridiculous.  The Eagles don't have that advantage over us.  I don't think scheme changes are as effective early on as players can be.  We did so well because we brought in very good players, then tailored some plays for them.  Philly has not gained much offensive talent, and  losing Maclin will not be easy to compensate for.

I would be more worried if Oregon wasn't still putting up 60 points a game.  Their team has so much more talent than the teams they play its ridiculous.  The Eagles don't have that advantage over us.  I don't think scheme changes are as effective early on as players can be.  We did so well because we brought in very good players, then tailored some plays for them.  Philly has not gained much offensive talent, and  losing Maclin will not be easy to compensate for.

I brought up this point in another thread. Superior talent creates a lot of "genius" coaches. Look at Brian Billick, when he had Randy Moss, Chris Carter and Robert Smith he was an offensive guru. He gets to Baltimore without that talent and their offense was bad pretty much every year.

Oregon has not missed a beat. They don't seem to miss Kelly at all.

Kelly has some talent to work with but it is not overwhelming talent. Would you take any of their skill players over ours? Vick over RG3? Jackson over Garcon? Celek over Davis? McCoy over Morris? Maybe that last one, maybe. Morris had more yds from scrimmage last year than McCoy ever has. Though McCoy did have a 20 TD season in 2011.

Here are a few things to consider in this match up:

We have more talent on offense and more cohesion, if not more talent, on defense.

60% of their coaching staff has no NFL experience. We have 3 coaches with NFL Head Coaching experience. NFL halftimes are shorter than college making it harder to make adjustments. How will their staff adjust to that change?

They are impelmenting new schemes on offense and defense, we are returning 21 of 22 starters from the NFC East Champs, with systems that have been in place for years.

I think the Redskins will win but it wont be a cakewalk and it will be a high scoring game. Griffin III will have an awesome game because there is nothing that motivates him more than proving people wrong. I think he will be NFC player of the week with a line of something like 24-31-0-386-3tds and 5 carries for 78 yards and a td. My hope this year is that the Redskins receivers stop spinning the ball and celebrating first downs and the defensive players keep there mouths shut and just play ball and not get un-sportsman like penalty's. They were NFC East champs last year and need to behave like they expect to do well.  

Truthfully, I want to see us start fast, and blow them out.  But how realistic will that be?

Well, not to be overly optimistic but 4 of the last 7 games of last season were pretty much blowout wins (second eagles game got close at the end because we phoned it in, but the game was never really close). The Seattle game had the makings of a blowout until RG Knee.

So I certainly think crushing a terrible defense and scoring early and often is a distinct possibility.

I brought up this point in another thread. Superior talent creates a lot of "genius" coaches. Look at Brian Billick, when he had Randy Moss, Chris Carter and Robert Smith he was an offensive guru. He gets to Baltimore without that talent and their offense was bad pretty much every year.

Oregon has not missed a beat. They don't seem to miss Kelly at all.

Kelly has some talent to work with but it is not overwhelming talent. Would you take any of their skill players over ours? Vick over RG3? Jackson over Garcon? Celek over Davis? McCoy over Morris? Maybe that last one, maybe. Morris had more yds from scrimmage last year than McCoy ever has. Though McCoy did have a 20 TD season in 2011.

Here are a few things to consider in this match up:

We have more talent on offense and more cohesion, if not more talent, on defense.

60% of their coaching staff has no NFL experience. We have 3 coaches with NFL Head Coaching experience. NFL halftimes are shorter than college making it harder to make adjustments. How will their staff adjust to that change?

They are impelmenting new schemes on offense and defense, we are returning 21 of 22 starters from the NFC East Champs, with systems that have been in place for years.

Is Oregon still running what Chip brought to them? Could it be that Oregon now attracts more recruits because of the success of the previous years? Was Oregon ever really considered a hot destination for recruits prior to Chip Kelly's arrival? Just some questions to ponder...

Is Oregon still running what Chip brought to them? Could it be that Oregon now attracts more recruits because of the success of the previous years? Was Oregon ever really considered a hot destination for recruits prior to Chip Kelly's arrival? Just some questions to ponder...

Being a U of O alum (master's degree in '08, but undergrad in Indiana in '00), i was a fan of Chip Kelly.  I'm no longer now that he coaches the Eagles, but still a UO fan.  after watching their 2 games this year, the system doesn't seem to have changed that much (quick tempo, focus on rushing and speed).  No doubt it's a "destination" for recruits these days and Oregon in and of itself is a destination for recruits these days, Kelly be damned.  We're still the best team in the PAC-12.

Archived