Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions For Week 1 Vs The Eagles

Pastor Troy

I don't understand why people "don't know what to expect out of the Eagles"

The Eagles are running a fairly conventional high tempo short quick passing attack with read option mixed in.

Every single element has been around the NFL the last few years. This time it is Kelly calling it and Vick executing it.

Here is what Vick is good at. The play action deep ball game. That isn't what Kelly is going to run.

The Jags O had no trouble against the Philly D. Neither will the Redskins O.

The Redskins O will do enough to slow down the Eagles, mainly because Vick takes a while to get a new offense. This going all the way back to college where it took him a year to understand the very simple Virginia Tech offense.

Only that's not what they are doing...

I say Skins win 27-17.

It will be tougher than expected. After all, teams with successful and established 3-4 defenses do better against the Read Option than teams with a traditional 4-3. The extra linebacker helps. The key word is "established". After we got things going, only Pittsburgh and Baltimore gave us serious trouble last year with their 3-4 D.

I think our D will do a good job against the Eagles O line

Wasn't saying you should lose sleep...but try melatonin

Only pointing out that he was inaccurate.

Sorry the smiley was to show I was joking.  I wasn't sure it would work which has stopped me sleeping :)

Sorry for my overall enthusiasm too.  Normally our roster cuts thread is full of other teams' cuts we think are better than, in some cases, our starters.  This year we're at the point it's all who should/will make the roster and PS with not enough room for our own let alone adding players cut from other teams.

We're stacked and going to dominate the East for a while which will also mean we'll be needing to add some space for more trophies.  Maybe we could do a deal with you guys for that trophy cabinet you guys won't use for a player of ours we won't use?

Hoping for a good game with no injuries  :D

Sorry the smiley was to show I was joking. I wasn't sure it would work which has stopped me sleeping :)

Sorry for my overall enthusiasm too. Normally our roster cuts thread is full of other teams' cuts we think are better than, in some cases, our starters. This year we're at the point it's all who should/will make the roster and PS with not enough room for our own let alone adding players cut from other teams.

We're stacked and going to dominate the East for a while which will also mean we'll be needing to add some space for more trophies. Maybe we could do a deal with you guys for that trophy cabinet you guys won't use for a player of ours we won't use?

Hoping for a good game with no injuries :D

I knew you were joking bro... Hence the melatonin comment.

No need to apologize for enthusiasm for your own team. Skins have had some down years...and now they have reason for excitement. I get it. :)

Pretty good article describing Hasletts plan on D versus the Eagles.  It's the formation we saw against the Bills with Kerrigan putting his hand in the dirt.  Calling it the "Swift" package.  Good read.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett has deployed a new defensive scheme — the Swift Package — which was unveiled in Washington's 30-7 preseason rout of the Buffalo Bills last week. The six-linebacker front wreaked havoc and netted two sacks and plenty of confusion in that game.

Link:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2013/08/29/defense-swift-package-eagles-michael-vick/2726901/

Because the QB who's gonna be running the offense against the Eagles hasn't seen live action in 8 months and is coming off major knee surgery.

ok I understand the concern.. but RG3 has seen the live action in practice..

This isnt a case in which RG3 is starting Week 1 after being unable to practice.... He just hasn't have contact in 8 months and I understand that he might have adjustment period in the first drive but RG3 has been practicing full speed for a while now... I really do not expect him to be rusty at all...

Pretty good article describing Hasletts plan on D versus the Eagles. It's the formation we saw against the Bills with Kerrigan putting his hand in the dirt. Calling it the "Swift" package. Good read.

Link:http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/redskins/2013/08/29/defense-swift-package-eagles-michael-vick/2726901/

Thanks for the link...good stuff. I respect Haslett...should be a good chess match

Thanks for the link...good stuff. I respect Haslett...should be a good chess match

Against the Eagles.. basically replace Tapp with Cofield who didnt play in the Buffalo game...  Its going to be interesting how that formation is going to hold up,,,

no way I see a blowout the way some of u guys are predicting I see a close game that comes down to the 4th

we have Vick back instead of 2 Nick Foles games like  last year  and yall mention we wont be able to stop the Skins run gm but honestly I dont see the skins stopping ours either

Agreed, Philly's run game has always done a lot better against us, than anybody else. 

One thing that I suspect will be key, is how well our safetys (one of whom is a rookie in his first NFL game) can keep Philly from turning 5 yard runs into 20 yard runs. 

Whadda ya know, an NFCE game that's gonna come down to whoever runs the ball, and stops the run. 

Something not brought up much is Davis coming back.

He will be on a mission to get recognized, and he will be a big part of the offense this year.

I just don't see Philly matching us point for point; even with running a fast paced offense, it will have the same effect on them as it does us, much like the old Run-And-Shoot, which eventually gassed itself out.

I watched Buffaloes hurray up offense and the first drive with Kevin Kolb ran right over top of our defense. If Buffalo with Kolb could do that gives me grave concerns with Vick and Kellys hurry up. Kellys offense suits Vick just as Kyles offense suite RG#.  think the winner will have to score 31+

This game gives me more concerns that any other on the schedule. The unknown offense and RG3 will have rust from not playing in preseason

final score 34 31

Yes, the Eagles will be able to run on us to some extent. But what will they do once they fall behind and have to play catchup? I'll admit I don't watch a lot of Eagles games, but Vick seems to make the bulk of his mistakes when he's forced to come from behind (trying to force balls into tight windows in double/triple coverage, and dancing around trying to make plays). RG3 will have to knock off some rust, but it won't take long. There is no way that Eagles D will come up with enough stops to keep us from scoring 30 points. Yet, I DO see us coming up with enough stops to keep the Eagles under 30. 

Skins - 31

Eagles - 23

I watched Buffaloes hurray up offense and the first drive with Kevin Kolb ran right over top of our defense. If Buffalo with Kolb could do that gives me grave concerns with Vick and Kellys hurry up. Kellys offense suits Vick just as Kyles offense suite RG#.  think the winner will have to score 31+

This game gives me more concerns that any other on the schedule. The unknown offense and RG3 will have rust from not playing in preseason

final score 34 31

You are mis remembering. Link to Play by Play here. They got a first down by penalty and then nothing on their first drive.

Their second drive was kept alive by a penalty. It was not a smooth running operation. Kolb was running for his life. The big play was a gash run by Spiller, who will do that to people from time to time. 

No doubt the Eagles will get their yards in this game. What we don't know is if the Bills being hopeless for the rest of the first half was due to the QB change or defensive adjustments. Going into that game a Bills friend of mine was saying that Teul was better than Kolb. According to him Teul had out performed Kolb to that point.

Here are Vick's stats for the preseason.

Passing - 24/33 289 yds 1 TD 2 INTs 3 Sacks

Rushing - 9 for 73 yds 1 fumble not lost

So we have a lot of yards but not much meaningful production. Vick led 2 TD drives in the presason, one was a 24 yd drive after a turnover. Everything else was field goals. I think they will end up kicking a bunch of FGs as we get TDs and we will slowly pull away. By the 4th qtr their D will be gassed and Morris and Helu will be gashing them.

I think the key for us in this game will be the complexity of our offense vs a D in transition.  With the versatility of our skill players and strong running game I really don't see how the eagles D will be able to know their assignments well enough to be effective against our O which had the #1 yards/play last year, and has only gotten better.

They key with Vick is containment.  He can put up a lot of yards with his athleticism, but if you force him to be a passer for long enough he falls into the same mistakes and bad plays that have married his career.  I am sure he will have a nice scramble or two before the game is over, but keep him out of the endzone and he is bound to hurt the Eagles.

Redskins 28

Eagles 17

Redskins 35 Eagles 20. Eagles will be up 17 to 3 at the half, but after Kerrigan and Rak sandwhich Vick to start the third, which subsequently knocks him out of the game, the team is re-energized and stomps Philly into the ground.

So not to jinx my arse - how about I just poach predictions/posts from an iggles forum @ TATE:

#1 - I think the Eagles are going to struggle early in the season, especially on defense.  The Redskins are not a good matchup for the Eagles because they [skins] can get to the edge on our converted OLBs and our OLBs are going to have a hard time in coverage. Plus, I think we will struggle against the run. Griffin will be rusty though, so that will help compensate a little bit.  I think QBs need time in preseason to work with the starters in game situations.

I just noticed the time stamp - I think they got the jump on us and started an iggles vs skins thread July 27.

#2 - Not to mention their [skins] defense stinks anyway.

Tempting fate like that... 

#3 - They will.blitz Vick and he has a coach now that knows what to do about it.

Hmmmmm.

#4 - 37-17 skins blitz Vick and win.  Every DC knows this.

Someone's not so convinced.

Archived