Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions For Week 1 Vs The Eagles

Pastor Troy

If the Eagles can't stop the run, which I don't think they can, then it doesn't matter how fast the Eagles offense is because they won't be on the field enough to score a lot of points.

Morris wore down defenses almost on his own in the running game last season. Now he has a healthy Helu behind him to break the back of a defense just when they think Morris may be slowing down. Helu will come in and run right past a tired defense.

With the Eagles style of offense, trying to be super fast and quick, what it also means is that they are setting up to kill their own defense unless they score on every drive.

Again...completely disagree with this mindset. But we'll see

I'm not saying it isn't important to stop the run...it's more of the overall philosophy I disagree with

When you say philosophy what exactly do you mean?

IMO, it the 'Skins put together long scoring drives in the first half, wearing down the Eagles defense in the process, the last thing their defense is going to want to deal with is the Eagles offense coming off the field quickly, whether they are scoring or not.  They are going to want to be able to stay on the sidelines and take a breather for awhile so they have gas in the tank late in the game.  Especially in the opener when it is very common to either not quite be in full football shape and/or get that adrenaline dump due to being so hyped up before the game starts that it's hard to control the emotions.

Now sure, if the Eagles go out and score on their first 4 drives, putting up 28 points, that changes things a bit as it doesn't put as much pressure on their defense to force 3 & outs as much, their defense can bend-don't-break it for awhile.

However, if the Eagles plan is to score quick as much as possible, but come away with a lot of 3 & outs, or even just a few 1st downs, it is going to hurt their defense in the second half almost guaranteed.

When you say philosophy what exactly do you mean?

IMO, it the 'Skins put together long scoring drives in the first half, wearing down the Eagles defense in the process, the last thing their defense is going to want to deal with is the Eagles offense coming off the field quickly, whether they are scoring or not. They are going to want to be able to stay on the sidelines and take a breather for awhile so they have gas in the tank late in the game. Especially in the opener when it is very common to either not quite be in full football shape and/or get that adrenaline dump due to being so hyped up before the game starts that it's hard to control the emotions.

Now sure, if the Eagles go out and score on their first 4 drives, putting up 28 points, that changes things a bit as it doesn't put as much pressure on their defense to force 3 & outs as much, their defense can bend-don't-break it for awhile.

However, if the Eagles plan is to score quick as much as possible, but come away with a lot of 3 & outs, or even just a few 1st downs, it is going to hurt their defense in the second half almost guaranteed.

I agree that it basically all boils down to offensive execution. If a bunch of 3 & outs is all they produce, then yes...the defense will suffer. I'm not arguing against that basic logic...it would be foolish to.

But Chip is just 'that' confident in his philosophy. And, to answer your other question, that philosophy is to maximize the total number of offensive snaps...while being efficient in doing so. He has 3 game tempos that he runs...green, yellow, red. I think they are self-explanatory (red being the traditional 'huddle-up' pace).

I think he would love to go green early for quick results. But if things don't go 'as planned', he will adjust. He really is the anti-Reid. For 14 years eagle fans were begging Andy to adjust at the half...then we begged for him to adjust based on what he saw the last game in preparation for the next one. Still nothing. Then we hoped he would gather the past experiences of the past seasons and hope he'd adjust for next season. Nope.

Chip is the polar opposite. Every single play is a read...an adjustment. Instead of Reid trying to push 'his same strategy' (despite the opponent, personnel, or weather conditions) down each team's throats, we now have a coach that lives, literally, play to play.

I'm no Reid uber-fan, but Chip has a long way to go before you can even hope that he is as successful as him as a coach.

I wouldn't begin to argue wih that. Chip is just starting out. I love his ideas, but time will tell what happens with them.

Reid did great things for the Eagles...my memories of him are good ones. But fans get frustrated at even good coaches. They all seem to have that one thing that bothers the masses. With Reid, it was his pass-happy philosophy...no matter what.

I see ground and pound for the skins, the eagles run D is non-existent.  This should ease Robert back in and allow us to dominate time of possession.  If their O-line plays like they have in the preseason, Vick won't have time to get big plays off he will be on his back before a receiver can come open.  I see skins winning this maybe not by a lot of points but handily. ill go 21-10.

I see ground and pound for the skins, the eagles run D is non-existent. This should ease Robert back in and allow us to dominate time of possession. If their O-line plays like they have in the preseason, Vick won't have time to get big plays off he will be on his back before a receiver can come open. I see skins winning this maybe not by a lot of points but handily. ill go 21-10.

I wouldn't say the Eagles run D is non existent. I've seen both ends of the spectrum this preseason. It's more adjusting to the new scheme, and mental errors that go along with that, than it is lack of talent.

But yes...it is still a concern no matter the reasons why.

It's always fun to read over-confident posts...

Realistic.  Your D can't stop us running or passing either.  

Time will tell but given we have pretty much a complete team of scheme specific players, who know said scheme, and are talented too the Eagles with their patchwork team of scheme fits and warm bodies will not only not know their own system well enough to have a chance, they won't know what's hit them come the season opener.

The light at the end of the tunnel for you guys is after the whupping we put on you the Chargers might discount you so you might be in that game still at the half ;)

I've gone and completely psyched myself out for this game already. I've built this up into a Tecmo Bowl game and now can't shake the feeling that we'll need to score 45 to stick around!

Even though I can't imagine that either offense will be that good so early in the season, I think we'll see a shootout. I hope we come out on top but if you take Chip Kelly + the unknown + Vick on MNF...it has me VERY nervous.

The saving grace for my sanity over the next 12 days is that I had a similar feeling in 1991 thinking that the Silver Stretch was going to come into RFK and dismantle us. That went well and I hope I'm overestimating Philly as well.

Realistic. Your D can't stop us running or passing either.

Time will tell but given we have pretty much a complete team of scheme specific players, who know said scheme, and are talented too the Eagles with their patchwork team of scheme fits and warm bodies will not only not know their own system well enough to have a chance, they won't know what's hit them come the season opener.

The light at the end of the tunnel for you guys is after the whupping we put on you the Chargers might discount you so you might be in that game still at the half ;)

Ok...opinion is noted :lol:

If one or both teams operate in an up-tempo pace there will be more plays during the game; but I see no advantage as both teams have the same number of possessions. 

The only advantage to running a quicker tempo is giving defenses less time to substitute, communicate, and adjust positions.  In short offenses hope to catch defenses off guard or not having their desired players on the field.

London Fletcher may be the best defensive captain in all of football.  No matter how fast the Eagles try to operate they will not catch the Redskins defense off guard or out of position. 

Two things worry me about this game...

1. RG3 with no practice scares the hell out of me. I really think he really needed some reps in preseason and will come out rusty then try and do too much with his legs too soon. There is a part of me that wishes that the team's plan be that if RG3 starts running all over the place too soon they pull him early. We cannot afford to lose him again and had we pulled him in the playoff game we probably would have won it and RG3 not been injured. 

2. LeSean McCoy is going to have a big game against us, our defense against the rush this preseason still has me worried. Chris Johnson, Jonathan Dwyer, and CJ Spiller all averaged 4.9 ypc or more in three games and we will be short handed on the defensive line due to suspensions. Are we going to ever be able to stop the rush or hold them to under 4.5 yards a carry this year?

I think the Redskins will win the game by a TD or less. It's not going to be a blowout

If one or both teams operate in an up-tempo pace there will be more plays during the game; but I see no advantage as both teams have the same number of possessions.

The only advantage to running a quicker tempo is giving defenses less time to substitute, communicate, and adjust positions. In short offenses hope to catch defenses off guard or not having their desired players on the field.

London Fletcher may be the best defensive captain in all of football. No matter how fast the Eagles try to operate they will not catch the Redskins defense off guard or out of position.

You make it sound as if those advantages the offense gets are not significant ones..

And as far as substituting goes...you are close, but not accurate. It's not that the defense gets less time to sub...it prevents them from subbing...

I don't think it is over-confident to suggest one of the league's top rushing attacks will have success running the ball on one of the leagues not so swell run defenses. 

Until the Eagles D shows they have improved their run defense significantly, why should it be expected that a Shanahan rushing attack will have a pretty successful night?

As far as the Eagles' up-tempo offense, we'll see what it looks like in 2-3 seasons when Kelly has had a chance to go through a couple more drafts building the team's personnel to his liking, but in the early stages/games of a brand new offense, especially one that requires plays to be run quickly. I don't think it is off base to suggest there might be higher than normal rate of penalties such as false starts and holding as the Eagles o-line could stuggle just as much to get down, set, and ready at this pace once the regular season starts and they are going up against a defense that has game planned for them.

Anytime you are introducing a new offense to a new team, the first season can almost be just as much about weeding out the players who ultimately don't fit the scheme and who are causing mishaps.  Players who might have been previously solid, might handle their new assignments very well and need to be moved.  

This is all stuff that usually doesn't become very glaring until the regular season starts and they are being game planned for.

Oh look.  An eagles fan spitting conjecture and nonsense.  Philly proved last year that they are a garbage team.  They were utterly smashed by almost everyone who played them.  So now the defense and offense are different and *poof* instant contender?

Vick is Vick.  He has the ability to drop 500yds and 6tds, but here lately hes more likely to drop 150 yds, 3 ints, 2 fumbles and at least 7 broken bones by halftime (sarcasm!)

Shady is a beast.  Kelly would do well to take a lesson from Minnesota.  The eagles will live and die with the run.  period.  If the run doesnt work, neither will all those silly screens and playactions.  (sound familiar Skins fans?  but our rushing attack is elite)

The defense appears to be more cheese cloth than run stopper.  Now that they will have to stack the box wide 9 4-3, 3-4 whatever they throw out there has the possibility to have the top blown off by Garcon and Robinson.

I dont need to see what Chip has in store for us.  We're the champs and they have to come knock our crown off, and standing in their way is the best rushing attack in football.

H. A. I. L

I don't think it is over-confident to suggest one of the league's top rushing attacks will have success running the ball on one of the leagues not so swell run defenses.

Until the Eagles D shows they have improved their run defense significantly, why should it be expected that a Shanahan rushing attack will have a pretty successful night?

As far as the Eagles' up-tempo offense, we'll see what it looks like in 2-3 seasons when Kelly has had a chance to go through a couple more drafts building the team's personnel to his liking, but in the early stages/games of a brand new offense, especially one that requires plays to be run quickly. I don't think it is off base to suggest there might be higher than normal rate of penalties such as false starts and holding as the Eagles o-line could stuggle just as much to get down, set, and ready at this pace once the regular season starts and they are going up against a defense that has game planned for them.

Anytime you are introducing a new offense to a new team, the first season can almost be just as much about weeding out the players who ultimately don't fit the scheme and who are causing mishaps. Players who might have been previously solid, might handle their new assignments very well and need to be moved.

This is all stuff that usually doesn't become very glaring until the regular season starts and they are being game planned for.

But that wasn't what he said...he said the Eagles wouldn't be able to run on Washington. I disagree with that. I think most people are forgetting about Jason Peters.

And yes...It may take some time for Chip to really get the ball rolling. We will see...

McKoy is a threat against any defense.  I have no doubt that he will put together a few impressive runs on opening night. The question though is whether the Eagles will put together a consistent running threat in the game as opposed to McKoy getting a few big isolated runs by the time the game is over.

'Skins run D was pretty good last season, I don't see it falling off much. So I guess this battle will have more to do with if the Eagles running game has improved.  We've heard plenty of teams claim they are "comitting to the run" but that doesn't mean it becomes effective (Dallas, anyone?)

The 'Skins rushing attack is almost the anti-McKoy.  Morris does nothing spectacular to the eye but it is a consistent relentless onslaught that wears on a team over the course of a game. Add in Helu who is finally healthy and he can use his speed and acceleration to attack a defense that Morris has worn down, later in the game.   That's not an attack on McKoy, btw, he is frickin' great.

I'd like to distance myself from some of the chest thumping. I might be a bit of a pessimist, but this game is going to be TOUGH for our Skins. I've watched most of the Eagles' snaps with the starters and Vick has looked good, especially in that last game. He's getting rid of the ball fast and down the field and Shady looks like the world beater that he is. DJax, Avant, Celek and Cooper are getting open and Vick is finding them. He's also not hesitating to pull the ball and get 10+ yards and he looks just as fast as he used to be.

Their read option is going to do to Kerrigan and Rak what ours did to opposing pash rushers last year. Both Vick and Shady have the speed to make 98 and 91 pay if they're flat-footed. It's no secret we make playing the run our first priority so I worry it'll make our defense more passive - especially once they get gassed from the hurry-up and lack of substitutions. I see us on our heels early in the game and we are going to look shaky. Throw in the possibility of Amerson, Rambo, and Doughty back there (bad angles, pass interference) and I've seen our LB's over pursue and lose fits quite a few times this preseason.

But....I really think once Chip runs out of his scripted plays, say the first 15-20, our adjustments can make a difference in the 2nd Q and 2nd half. But I wouldn't be surprised to be down 10-0 early.

The Eagles' D is going to sell out against the run...big time with 8 in the box early. It seems like the logical thing to do. Make sure RG3 can be the player he was before the Ravens game. Hell, give him the looks that make him pull the ball if we zone read and try to punish him. See if he can run...maybe he can, who knows. See if he can still be accurate while shaking off the rust - he has yet to worry about being hit on that knee in camp. If we don't have success running early I worry he might try to start pressing things because the play action was our bread and butter last year. I think our line can keep him clean in the passing game but will we be able to move the chains and keep Kelly's offense off the field? Hopefully our good YAC will bail us out, I just don't see us game planning to get deep down the field in RG3's first game back.

I really think we'll be battling back in the 4th quarter after adjustments. If I had to call it I'd say 23-20 Skins with our defense hopefully closing out the game.

RG3 has been practicing full-go for the last week and a half.  You are confusing preseason and practice.

I'd argue that practice is more important than preseason games, since what they are practicing behind closed doors at full speed mimicks their actual opponent more than what they see in preseason games.

The entire goal of this offseason was to get RGIII prepared for September 9th, not to play in preseason games.

If the coaches though not playing in the preseason meant disaster, then RGIII wouldn't be playing. They obviously like what they see from him enough to feel confident.  He isn't a rookie anymore, it's not like he has zero NFL experience w/o the preseason games.

Archived