Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predictions For Week 1 Vs The Eagles

Pastor Troy

I expect to see some classic shanny early in this one, id expect alot of stretch runs left and right, and screens/hitches to the outside early to get the iggs moving from sideline to sideline early, so it can setup stuff later in the game., then kill them up the middle with runs and pa passing. The defense may have some trouble with shady, but will be able to hold them off. I dont think the iggs offense can hang with the skins.. should be a win by 7+, hopefully more

I have a feeling Robert will be very rusty

Like the the Skins last year I think Philly's offense will be tough to get a read on

Defense is probably not much better than last year ... the young guys and Merriweather will help, but losing Jenkins and Carriker will not

I would say the Skins lose, but I'm keeping the faith ... 

Skins 20

Eagles 17

This where I have an issue when folks say "preseason is meaningless" Winning/Losing-wise, yes.  However there certainly are cues you can take from preseason.

Remember a couple of seasons ago when Dallas didn't score a TD with their first unit in any of their games, and their local fans and media came out like it didn't matter.  Well their offense looked pretty poor starting the regular season too. (This might have been the same season Romo sits to pee got the season ending injury after leading them to a 3-5 start).

The 'Skins offense looks anything but rusty.  They look like a team that is no longer learning something brand new and instead adding new wrinkles to an offense that was alredy pretty dynamic.

Does this mean they are going to drop 45 on MNF? Nope. But I don't think they will be rusty, in fact I can't think of any one area on offense that looks worse off going into Week 1.  The running game looks better, with depth now that can actually give Morris some plays off to stay poised for a second half mauling.  The WR core is better now that Morgan is healthy, playing w/o 7 screws in his foot.  You can see how he gets the ball and turns upfield quicker and faster. Fred Davis, anyone?  Etc etc etc.....

For those that think the offense is going to look rusty, I am wondering why exactly?

This where I have an issue when folks say "preseason is meaningless" Winning/Losing-wise, yes.  However there certainly are cues you can take from preseason.

Remember a couple of seasons ago when Dallas didn't score a TD with their first unit in any of their games, and their local fans and media came out like it didn't matter.  Well their offense looked pretty poor starting the regular season too. (This might have been the same season Romo sits to pee got the season ending injury after leading them to a 3-5 start).

The 'Skins offense looks anything but rusty.  They look like a team that is no longer learning something brand new and instead adding new wrinkles to an offense that was alredy pretty dynamic.

Does this mean they are going to drop 45 on MNF? Nope. But I don't think they will be rusty, in fact I can't think of any one area on offense that looks worse off going into Week 1.  The running game looks better, with depth now that can actually give Morris some plays off to stay poised for a second half mauling.  The WR core is better now that Morgan is healthy, playing w/o 7 screws in his foot.  You can see how he gets the ball and turns upfield quicker and faster. Fred Davis, anyone?  Etc etc etc.....

For those that think the offense is going to look rusty, I am wondering why exactly?

Because the QB who's gonna be running the offense against the Eagles hasn't seen live action in 8 months and is coming off major knee surgery.

I remember in the 2nd Cowgirls game, Robert wearing his brace.  There was one point (2nd half I think) where Alfred ran the ball 3 times in a row, all for good gains and on the 4th play, Robert fakes to Alfred and ran off right tackle for about 10 yards.  The play was nothing too special, but after the play, Robert looked to the sideline, laughing and pointing (I think).  In my mind, he was looking at Kyle and laughing because it was such a great play call at that moment.  This was one of my favorite plays of the year. 

I expect something similar next Monday night.  If you see Alfred run a few times in a row with almost the exact same play and they are all successful runs, then look for the followup run by our QB. 

Usually I'm pessimistic, but I like what I've seen from the Skins in preseason.  We will pound the ball with Morris and Helu.  RG3 will stay in the pocket for the most part and get it to Davis and Garcon.  Rookies in the secondary will get beat a couple times, but Kerrigan or someone will make a big play.  Skins win this 23-17.

He was flat out the best LT in the game in 2011

But...ok

In 2011...

It's 2013. We used to have a guy named Jammal Brown who was arguably one of the top OT's in the NFL until he got hit by a leg injury which derailed his career for good. Those two are very similar in terms of age, skill and injury history. I see Peters going the same route as Brown did. You can't expect Peters to come back after 2 seasons off and be able to anchor the O-Line.

Like everyone else I am very worried about Shady going off. As worried as we are about Shady the Iggles will be just as worried about our #1 Rushing attack. The high tempo Eagles offense will have far too many quick drives giving the ball right back to our offense. Come the third and fourth the Eagles defense will be totally gassed and have no chance at stopping our run game. I'm saying it will be a close game at halftime, but the Skins pull away with it late and win comfortably 31-17.

In 2011...

It's 2013. We used to have a guy named Jammal Brown who was arguably one of the top OT's in the NFL until he got hit by a leg injury which derailed his career for good. Those two are very similar in terms of age, skill and injury history. I see Peters going the same route as Brown did. You can't expect Peters to come back after 2 seasons off and be able to anchor the O-Line.

Like everyone else I am very worried about Shady going off. As worried as we are about Shady the Iggles will be just as worried about our #1 Rushing attack. The high tempo Eagles offense will have far too many quick drives giving the ball right back to our offense. Come the third and fourth the Eagles defense will be totally gassed and have no chance at stopping our run game. I'm saying it will be a close game at halftime, but the Skins pull away with it late and win comfortably 31-17.

You must be really worried about RG3's knee then...there is history there too.

Yeah, I get the fact that he's a few years younger..but Peters isn't exactly farting dust.

Nobody knows what to expect out of the Eagles, but what I expect is a team that is fired up to impress their new coach and show the league something new, sort of like how we were with Spurrier in his first game. We had a garbage roster and we came out and put up 31 points. Sure it was on the Cardinals, but it was the best offensive production we got that entire season aside from maybe the Titans game in 2002.

I do not think the Eagles have a much improved roster. The Maclin injury is a big deal, I think their offensive line isn't much improved, and while McCoy can be good and I've heard Eagles fans tell me forever that all he needs is more carries (which Andy certainly wasn't about to do) I have doubts about how well he will hold up over the course of a season where he's the main feature on offense. With that said, if Vick is the main feature I think Philly is in for a very long season.

On defense they've improved over last year, but that isn't difficult to do. Nobody knows what they have in the secondary, DeMeco is still a good player, and their D-Line is alright.

As far as assessing our own capabilities it's equally difficult. I think our defense will be much improved, but we're going to be starting rookies in the secondary and if our pass rush isn't as stellar as we expect it to be we're going to see games where teams that shouldn't be able to hang around will. Also, I'm wondering what will happen when DeSean Jackson gives Amerson the same double move that made Carlos Rogers look absolutely stupid.

On offense I have confidence. I think RG3 will be back to his previous form based off the many good reports about his rehab and being physically cleared for competition. People will say you need the pre-season to get into that football speed or game speed, and this is another gray area. Going off what I know about the guy, and how he destroyed all expectations for a rookie QB for us last season, I feel like he'll surprise the people who say he can't do something, since that seems to be all he ever does.

Our running game will be superb, from watching our receivers at camp and in the pre-season I think we'll be much improved, especially if Garcon stays healthy in the early portion of this season.

Specifically, I expect the Eagles to stay with us early, maybe even get up a score on us. I think their offense will have an advantage since we really don't know what to expect out of Kelly at this point. Early season games usually seem to be in favor of new coaches with unknown tendencies and systems. I think that by halftime it will be tied or + - 3 points. I think in the second half we'll make smart defensive adjustments and contain the Eagles or perhaps get a major turnover in our favor. I think our running game will get going and we'll finish the game off to the tune of say 27-20.

Who knows though. We could come out and get up 3 scores in the first half, or we could be taken completely by surprise on defense and find ourselves down 3 scores. It's really unpredictable at this time of year.

Redskin 37 Eagles 17 The game starts close through the first 2 quarters before the eagles fast paced offense has to many quick drives leaving there already weak defense tired and slow for Alfred and Robert to make long time consuming scoring drives all through the second half leaving Kelly to reconsider his offensive strategy

I don't understand why people "don't know what to expect out of the Eagles"

The Eagles are running a fairly conventional high tempo short quick passing attack with read option mixed in.

Every single element has been around the NFL the last few years. This time it is Kelly calling it and Vick executing it.

Here is what Vick is good at. The play action deep ball game. That isn't what Kelly is going to run.

The Jags O had no trouble against the Philly D. Neither will the Redskins O.

The Redskins O will do enough to slow down the Eagles, mainly because Vick takes a while to get a new offense. This going all the way back to college where it took him a year to understand the very simple Virginia Tech offense. 

I don't think I'm chest-thumping, I am just discussing the matchups.

Honestly I think some of our own fanbase is selling this team short. I understand, it's been 20 years of mediocrity with 3 isolated playoff seasons mixed in, so it stands as reasonable to be cautious and skeptical that the team will build on it's NFC East crown and continue to get better.

I just don't think people realize how good this offense was last season. It was the best statisitcal offense from this team since their Superbowl year.

We've been trained by the last two decades to be pessemistic so it is what it is, but take a look at the statistics from last season and it will open some eyes about what a healthier version of that roster can do in 2013.

Agree. First in rushing, top 10 offense overall and #4 scoring offense in the NFL. Eagles should be concerned as we did this without Helu, Fred Davis and Garçon for half the season.

I think we all know that a big part of our plan for dealing with their gosh-wow, super-duper, revolutionary, wizz-bang, offense, is going to be a healthy dose of the run game. 

I think that they know it, too. 

Assume we're gonna be seeing a stacked box, all night. 

Which means RG3 will be seeing single coverage, all night long. 

If he can make them pay for that, we dominate. 

(If they stack the box, and we can still run the ball, anyway, we dominate.) 

Because the QB who's gonna be running the offense against the Eagles hasn't seen live action in 8 months and is coming off major knee surgery.

But that QBs knee is fully healed and he'll be wearing a brace to prevent reinjury to that knee.  That QB has been in big time football for a few years now and performs all the time and we practice at game speed so it is reasonable to expect him to play well, game one.  In fact were he not to it would be upsetting the trend.

Besides we would beat the Eagles in this game with Rex or Pat at QB.  

Archived