Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: No dancing, salutes or spinning ball: NFL cracks down on celebrating

Sticksboi05

Steve Smith hasn't really lost a step at the age of 34 -- and he'll tell you as much -- but he might have to figure out a new celebration this season. That's because the NFL will apparently emphasize cracking down against spinning the ball and a number of other player celebrations.

Continued...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/23039929/nfl-cracking-down-on-ballspinning-celebrations-in-2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Santana Moss will have to keep that in check or he will be putting us back 15 yards.

Personally, I actually like this rule.  Ideally they'd let all the TD celebrations go that aren't straight up taunting and crack down on all these idiots celebrating after getting first downs or making a simple tackle.  They look like clowns.  Celebrate when you di something.  A first down is not that.

The rule is allegedly banning celebrations that "are directed at an opponent", but none of those sound like celebrations directed at an opponent. They're just things people do to celebrate big plays. 

They better leave the HR Swing alone. HR Swing is the best. 

Steve Smith hasn't really lost a step at the age of 34 -- and he'll tell you as much -- but he might have to figure out a new celebration this season. That's because the NFL will apparently emphasize cracking down against spinning the ball and a number of other player celebrations.

Continued...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/23039929/nfl-cracking-down-on-ballspinning-celebrations-in-2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Santana Moss will have to keep that in check or he will be putting us back 15 yards.

Personally, I actually like this rule. Ideally they'd let all the TD celebrations go that aren't straight up taunting and crack down on all these idiots celebrating after getting first downs or making a simple tackle. They look like clowns. Celebrate when you di something. A first down is not that.

Agree about everything you said. I don't care what they do in the end zone as long as it isn't taunting.

I don't see how banning any of this enhances the game.

Stupid.

~Bang

I don't see how Santana Moss's celebration after catching a 6 yard slant enhances the game.

;)

We should ban everything that doesn't enhance the game.  Then the game will have no choice but to be enhanced.

ngbbs51255359f0b71.jpg

It's a game, folks. That's it. I'm not the biggest fan of Daniel Tosh, but I echo his sentiments when he said "they can have a tea party in the end zone for all I care." Yeah, there are some TD celebrations I'm not fond of, but I don't think they should be penalized unless they're overtly taunting the opposition.

I don't see how Santana Moss's celebration after catching a 6 yard slant enhances the game.

;)

Santana does that when he gets a first down, especially when it's a nice gainer. Love that celebration. He doesn't do it on a 6 yard gain on 3rd and 10.

Might as well get emotionless robots to play the game. Arnold Schwarzenegger will play every position on every team. We shall, as fans, clap in unison, 2 claps a second, while all wearing the same Private School'edque uniforms.

Will be ashamed to watch the NFL when I see someone get 15 yards for a salute. Wow big nono, honoring the troops in a GAME. Only a narcissist would get offended at little celebrations. Imagine the fun bunch these days. That'd be like a 300 yard penalty.

;)

Santana does that when he gets a first down, especially when it's a nice gainer. Love that celebration. He doesn't do it on a 6 yard gain on 3rd and 10.

Might as well get emotionless robots to play the game. Arnold Schwarzenegger will play every position on every team. We shall, as fans, clap in unison, 2 claps a second, while all wearing the same Private School'edque uniforms.

Will be ashamed to watch the NFL when I see someone get 15 yards for a salute. Wow big nono, honoring the troops in a GAME. Only a narcissist would get offended at little celebrations. Imagine the fun bunch these days. That'd be like a 300 yard penalty.

Seriously. It's no wonder why European sports fans tease Americans about the way we are at sporting events. Yeah, we're not rioting in the streets after games or throwing fireworks onto the field, but everything seems so sterile in pro sports.  

EVen if it's directed at a player, who cares. They're grown men. They can handle it. 

The league should modify this rule so it only applies to the Dallas Cowboys. I've never seen a franchise that celebrated after one play. Tackle a guy after he runs 2 yards. Big celebration. Good for you, you tackled him. Get back to the huddle 

;)

They are not 12 year olds either (even if they have the maturity and brains of the average 12 year old).

Leave the celebrations to scores.

Really, does every first down or sack need a dance? 

12 year olds would get in a massive amount of trouble for even spiking a ball after a 99 yard TD. That's the point of little league, to teach discipline. NFL is entertainment, period. Penalizing small celebrations after a good play is the antithesis of entertaining. That situation will end up screwing with the outcome of some games. To me, too many games are already decided by soft ass penalties. Excessive celebrations can be penalized, sure, you don't want brawls to break out, but at the end of the day, celebrating a little is a trivial issue. I always do the first down celebration at the same time as Santana. He can't do that anymore? Damn!

The only ones I don't like are the ones where dudes will stand over a guy after a big catch or a big hit, and the ones where players flex at other players. Both of those are directed towards another player. I don't see how most of the sack dances, or TD celebrations, or even spiking the ball away from other players will be affected by this to a large degree if what Popeman said is true.

Refs are normally right near where the ball is moments after the play so they'll be in ear shot, and most of the time looking right at the player who has, or just had the ball, so they'll generally know what the player is doing/saying to give them an indication whether or not to throw a flag. 

The NFL has clarified the stance, and like I stated earlier, this only impacts acts directed at the opposing players. Santana getting up after a 1st down, spinning the ball in front of him, and pointing towards the crowd will still be perfectly legal.

Sack dances, the home run swing, incredible hulk, spiking the ball, throwing or shoving the ball, pointing, pointing the ball, military salute and dancing in the direction of an opponent will result in a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. 

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy tweeted a clarification of the new rules Wednesday, “to clear up bad info re: td celebrations like military salute/spinning ball: only flagged if player does it directly @ opponent.”

Yeah I've never understood why they care so much about these guys celebrating something. Whether it's a 6 yd slant or a 70 yd TD why does it matter what they do? As long as it doesn't slow the game down why does it matter?

It shouldn't matter. I'd like to know who the people are that are so offended by the celebrations and what their rationale is. 

Archived