Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Pre Season Game Day Thread - Skins at Titans

TK

I was really bummed to not see the rookie running backs. helu looked good, royster is unspectacular but as excited as I was to see the young secondary , I was probally more interested to see if one of the rooks could emerge as a legit change of pace home run threat

I was really bummed to not see the rookie running backs. helu looked good, royster is unspectacular but as excited as I was to see the young secondary , I was probally more interested to see if one of the rooks could emerge as a legit change of pace home run threat

Shanahan's MO since he's been here is to go with one or two featured backs during a given preseason game. He's said many times that he likes for them to have a chance to get into a groove and that rotating them all in ruins that. 

So expect next game to have another guy starting, possibly a rook. Third game Morris will start, I'm sure.  

I wonder if Helu needs to learn patience.  Feels like Morris and even Royster get more out of their runs.  I wonder if that's because, being slower, they allow more time for the holes to develop.  Helu looked okay and his final average was okay, but I felt like he missed some plays, some cut backs.

Obviously, we need to work on keeping contain.  This is going to be even more true when we play the teams who adopt our own style of Read option and misdirection.

Had some rookies flash and also acted like rookies.  Overall, not too bad, but also a game that really did look like the first preseason game esp. after Cousins left.

Pat White looks good running the option and I agree if he plays well in the next 3 games we should take him as #3. But I wouldn't cut Grossman until then, hell PW might stink it up in the next game and what then...

Rex sucks at all levels, its time to let him go imo.  I know we got the mega discount on re-signing him for one year to be a 3rd stringer and all, but honestly, Pat White can't be any worse than Rex at this point in either of their careers.  I know Pat was out of football for three seasons, but the guy looked pretty sharp, so he still has potential.  Rex has looked and played like he was out of football for the past three years.

We are talking about our 3rd string QB.  If RGIII and Cousins both go out with injury and we are on the 3rd stringer, then I'd prefer White to Rex any day.  He brings more to his overall game than Rex because of his speed/legs.  We already know what we got in Rex, someone that shows flashes, can march you down the field at times, then make the ****ing dumbest throw into coverage you have ever seen, resulting in a pick.  At least with White, we can still run the option and rely on his ability to make plays. 

Rex Grossman started a Super Bowl, Pat White has yet to complete his first pass in a regular season NFL game. Rex moved the offense as well last nigh a scored a TD. Rex is a veteran who has seen a lot in the NFL who can mentor two young QBs and also if disaster strikes give you some chance of coming in and looking like an NFL offense.

White played well but it was against scrubs lets not overreact.

Haslett is still a horrible coach. 

Pat W looked good.  He stares down his target but I was impressed with his throws. 

Royster and Helu weren't that impressive to me.  Helu needs to be more patient and then use his speed.  Royster is doing everything right but he doesn't have the ability to break tackles like Morris.

Brisco is begging to be cut.  I don't know how he caught those TDs with the bucs. 

Robinson has improved but he needs to work on his hands with Hankerson.  They catch the ball but they aren't very smooth.

Just watched the game on Gamepass. Overall looked quite crisp for a first preseason game.

Offense under Cousins looked sharp, Helu ran hard and showed some burst and both Morgan and Hankerson looked good. Robinson looked good as well apart from one drop off Rex. Compton looked to do quite well at LT - certainly looked serviceable.

Overall then everything looked good from the offense.

Defense was more mixed for me.

We were poor in getting run fits especially on the backside against the stretch. Far too many cut back lanes and we did not set the edge well backside. Orakpo was at fault on that first big TD run getting caught upfield and allowing Johnson to come under him to the backside of the defense. Thomas missed some run fills from SS as well. Got to be sounder against the run.

Pass rush was good though. Great to see both Kerrigan and Orakpo get a sack each in limited snaps.Secondary did OK though they were not really challenged deep. I liked what I saw from Minnifield in particular on a couple of break ups.

Someone said they saw RG3 limping during warm ups. I haven't seen the game, but is this true?

Will the madness never cease???  HTTR

Not until he jogs out to take the first snap on opening day. Actually not until he (hopefully) takes a knee at the end of the first game to run down the final seconds on a big win.

The game seen from the Titans point of view:

"The offensive line the Tennessee Titans expect to lead their revitalization worked (mostly) together for a bit over a quarter Thursday night... The offensive line is going to be the backbone of this team, but in its work with four of five starters in place, it had mixed results against Washington...

...Warmack looked good when he got to the second level. But he was frequently pushed back by Washington defensive tackle Jarvis Jenkins and looked to be flat-footed and too high too often on other plays where his man didn’t necessarily wind up doing any damage.

...The Titans' run defense is another element of this team that is supposed to be a lot better. It wasn’t very good in this game. Defenders were pushed around at times and didn’t seem to consistently and collectively fight off blocks to get free and get to the ball carrier.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/52190/observations-from-redskins-22-titans-21

Meh first pre-season game but i was not really impressed by the oline when it was asked to straight up pass block, in the traditional sense.  I hope nothing happens to Trent Williams because both of his backups had many issues in pass pro.

A week ago anyone who liked Pat White over Grossman was ridiculed. After running the read-option and capitalizing on broken plays vs 4th stringers, he's a shoe-in for the 3rd QB spot. Gotta love ES. Extreme indeed.

on a scale of 1 to 10, grossman is a 2, with a mountain of evidence behind it.  he's our third-string QB.  if he gets in a game, we are done.  why NOT keep White instead?  he's at least somewhat of an unknown quantity.  if we are at our 3rd string QB in a regular season game, the worst has already occured.
This is already getting old. Go start a Pat White fanclub thread ;p

lmao a legend is born

Seriously. I guess our fanbase isn't immune from idiocy. First preseason game against 3rd and 4th stringers and he's the next coming of Jesus. WVA homers need to "semma down" now. To answer, Rex was going against some of their starters and 2nd stringers.

I noticed when they kept Rex in the pocket he was fine. But when they rolled him out, he struggled.

Meh first pre-season game but i was not really impressed by the oline when it was asked to straight up pass block, in the traditional sense.  I hope nothing happens to Trent Williams because both of his backups had many issues in pass pro.

I thought Compton looked OK - but Nixon was beaten outside on speed moves and also allowed a defender back inside at least once. But yeah, if Trent was to get injured and lose significant time it would get ugly. Trent is the second most important player on this team after RGIII.

I thought Compton looked OK - but Nixon was beaten outside on speed moves and also allowed a defender back inside at least once. But yeah, if Trent was to get injured and lose significant time it would get ugly. Trent is the second most important player on this team after RGIII.

I graded Compton with 2 clearly negative plays: got beat by a simple speed rush on 3rd down and had 1 penalty.

All things considered I thought he showed well for a 2nd year playing going against starting caliber RDE.

I came away feeling good about Compton, but I was already biased in his favor i guess b/c I thought he was as good as Polumbus last year *shrugs* and I think he's better then Polumbus now.

Didn't focus on Nixon, if I watch the game again I'll take a look but I thought he was okay nothing jumped out either way.

But, for a UDFA he's off to a good start.

I graded Compton with 2 clearly negative plays: got beat by a simple speed rush on 3rd down and had 1 penalty.

All things considered I thought he showed well for a 2nd year playing going against starting caliber RDE.

I came away feeling good about Compton, but I was already biased in his favor i guess b/c I thought he was as good as Polumbus last year.

Agreed, I was pleased with what I saw from Compton. Polumbus is probably better in the run game than Compton but I like Compton better in pass protection.

Amerson and Minifield looked good. I am really rooting for minefield even tough I have serious doubts about his knee

I think we are better set at CBs this year. How many did we carry last year. Here are the ones I see as making it. If we only go with 5 I see Wilson in danger

David Amerson
E.J. Biggers
Richard Crawford
DeAngelo Hall
Josh Wilson

Chase Minifield

the bad was the Safeties and line. The lbs looked good

MC-

I like Compton's movement ability imo he's already close enough to Polumbus in the run game that for me there even. I think given playing time he would quickly improve there. 

If Compton and Tyler grade out even for you what would you do? Keep Compton as swing or move him to RT?

A week ago anyone who liked Pat White over Grossman was ridiculed. After running the read-option and capitalizing on broken plays vs 4th stringers, he's a shoe-in for the 3rd QB spot. Gotta love ES. Extreme indeed.

on a scale of 1 to 10, grossman is a 2, with a mountain of evidence behind it.  he's our third-string QB.  if he gets in a game, we are done.  why NOT keep White instead?  he's at least somewhat of an unknown quantity.  if we are at our 3rd string QB in a regular season game, the worst has already occured.
This is already getting old. Go start a Pat White fanclub thread ;p

lmao a legend is born

Seriously. I guess our fanbase isn't immune from idiocy. First preseason game against 3rd and 4th stringers and he's the next coming of Jesus. WVA homers need to "semma down" now. To answer, Rex was going against some of their starters and 2nd stringers.

I noticed when they kept Rex in the pocket he was fine. But when they rolled him out, he struggled.

talk about an overreaction.  arguing that he should be our THIRD STRING QUARTERBACK means he's the next coming of jesus?  so by your logic Rex Grossman is jesus??  take a step back, man.  i'm arguing this guy has more upside than REX GROSSMAN, not RG3 or Cousins.  how about YOU "semma down now".  I want to see more out of him too before handing him the job.  just saying the competition for it was blown open by his performance.

MC-

I like Compton's movement ability imo he's already close enough to Polumbus in the run game that for me there even. I think given playing time he would quickly improve there. 

If Compton and Tyler grade out even for you what would you do? Keep Compton as swing or move him to RT?

I'd move Compton to RT - he has a much higher ceiling IMO than Polumbus and with playing time is only going to get better. I don't think that's going to happen though.

Where's the "breaking news" forum?

http://es.redskins.com/forum/5-bubba9497s-redskins-breaking-news/

MC-

I'd move Compton to RT - he has a much higher ceiling IMO than Polumbus and with playing time is only going to get better. I don't think that's going to happen though.

>Where's the "breaking news" forum?

http://es.redskins.com/forum/5-bubba9497s-redskins-breaking-news/

Thank you sir.

Archived