Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pat White or Rex Grossman at 3# qb?

hailyeah1

News flash ,Griffin will be examined this week to determine whether he is a go for a full training camp work load .

This will determine Grossman's and White's fate.

Real News Flash.....Griffin's exam will have no impact on Grossman or White because all the teams carry 4 or 5 quarterbacks in camp and preseason. The only thing which will affect the 2 quarterbacks will be what happens in those 4 preseason games, and the resulting health of RG3 at that time.

Pat White makes this team.  He may even make this team as the #2 QB.  Now, before you start thinking I'm crazy, just think about it from an offensive coordinator's perspective.

How many times are you gonna run the read option with Cousins?  How about Grossman?  Never... right?  The coaching staff puts together a game plan and then if RG3 gets hurt during the game, what do they do?  They would have to throw out the playbook and start over because many of the plays they had in the gameplan can't be run by Cousins or Grossman.  The offensive line gets into a rhythm, the reciever, the backs all have a rhythm with the read option.  That all changes when you put in Grossman.

Pat White has the experience and the physical ability to run the option.  It's virtually the same offense he ran in college.  He can step in and we don't have to change the gameplan.  

I believe that Pat White can do well in this offfense. In fact, I believe he can do well enough that some team out there will want to join the band wagon of teams that have a read option QB.  

Pat White makes this team.  He may even make this team as the #2 QB.  Now, before you start thinking I'm crazy, just think about it from an offensive coordinator's perspective.

How many times are you gonna run the read option with Cousins?  How about Grossman?  Never... right?  The coaching staff puts together a game plan and then if RG3 gets hurt during the game, what do they do?  They would have to throw out the playbook and start over because many of the plays they had in the gameplan can't be run by Cousins or Grossman.  The offensive line gets into a rhythm, the reciever, the backs all have a rhythm with the read option.  That all changes when you put in Grossman.

Pat White has the experience and the physical ability to run the option.  It's virtually the same offense he ran in college.  He can step in and we don't have to change the gameplan.  

I believe that Pat White can do well in this offfense. In fact, I believe he can do well enough that some team out there will want to join the band wagon of teams that have a read option QB.  

gotta disagree with something you said. Shanahan never has to throw out the playbook when Robert gets hurt. It didn't happen in the Cleveland game. They just used more roll outs and plays geared to the strength of Cousins. I also saw Kirk run on several plays in which he scrambled for a first down so I don't think the Skins broke out an entirely new playbook for that one game.

Now when it comes to Pat White, I agree with you: I don't know if he is a keeper but I think he could be. I have stated that and been mildly criticized for that. Some on here are adamant about it and say "NO..WHITE IS CAMP FODDER". I say "NO...HE IS NOT". lol 

I believe that he has a legitimate shot at sticking around for several reasons. Kyle likes him and what he brings to the offense if Robert is hurt again. There is a possibility that RG3 may reinjure his knee and IF...IF that happens I do not understand why so many of you on this board believe the Shanahans are going to give up on the pistol formation offense with a running option built in....and Kirk Cousins will not provide that kind of option.

Go back and watch White in college. He is an accurate QB with touch. He is an EXCELLENT runner. Not as fast as Robert but as QUICK and he can make cuts and find holes instantly. I think Kyle sees that same thing and is planning to use White if at some point Robert should suffer a setback or re injure either knee. It does not make sense to SCRAP your basic offense because your QB goes down...especially when you have a similar type QB to run it. and by similar I mean he is familiar with it, he is accurate, and he runs very well. Either way....we will have to see first of all if the layoff has hurt White's accuracy but if it hasn't, I expect him to stick around.

P.S. Rex is NEVER going to stick on the roster simply because the Skins can let him go and hang out on the sidelines. Nobody is going to claim him, probably because so many of you have badmouthed him over the last 3 years that any team who picks him up will be a laughing stock.  lol

People think Pat White and RG3 in the backfield at the same time is an interesting combo.  I think that Sexy and Captain Kirk in the same backfield is a more interesting combo.  Man...the possibilities. :)

Man i hope you are kidding ,if that ever happened i hope grossman is blocking for cousins and not let Rex touch the ball.

I.m 100% sure there wont be any pistol formation run LOL!!!

People think Pat White and RG3 in the backfield at the same time is an interesting combo.  I think that Sexy and Captain Kirk in the same backfield is a more interesting combo.  Man...the possibilities. :)

Dual Pistol formation

gotta disagree with something you said. Shanahan never has to throw out the playbook when Robert gets hurt. It didn't happen in the Cleveland game. They just used more roll outs and plays geared to the strength of Cousins. I also saw Kirk run on several plays in which he scrambled for a first down so I don't think the Skins broke out an entirely new playbook for that one game.

Now when it comes to Pat White, I agree with you: I don't know if he is a keeper but I think he could be. I have stated that and been mildly criticized for that. Some on here are adamant about it and say "NO..WHITE IS CAMP FODDER". I say "NO...HE IS NOT". lol 

I believe that he has a legitimate shot at sticking around for several reasons. Kyle likes him and what he brings to the offense if Robert is hurt again. There is a possibility that RG3 may reinjure his knee and IF...IF that happens I do not understand why so many of you on this board believe the Shanahans are going to give up on the pistol formation offense with a running option built in....and Kirk Cousins will not provide that kind of option.

Go back and watch White in college. He is an accurate QB with touch. He is an EXCELLENT runner. Not as fast as Robert but as QUICK and he can make cuts and find holes instantly. I think Kyle sees that same thing and is planning to use White if at some point Robert should suffer a setback or re injure either knee. It does not make sense to SCRAP your basic offense because your QB goes down...especially when you have a similar type QB to run it. and by similar I mean he is familiar with it, he is accurate, and he runs very well. Either way....we will have to see first of all if the layoff has hurt White's accuracy but if it hasn't, I expect him to stick around.

P.S. Rex is NEVER going to stick on the roster simply because the Skins can let him go and hang out on the sidelines. Nobody is going to claim him, probably because so many of you have badmouthed him over the last 3 years that any team who picks him up will be a laughing stock.  lol

You're basing your whole argument on Pat Whites success in college? Do you realize he has been out of college 5-6 years? Do you realize he's played in the NFL and he was TERRIBLE? You continue to rant and rave about how successful he was in college and how accurate of a passer he was in college and we ALL agree with you, he was a beast in college. Yet you fail to realize he was horrible in the NFL and there are reports out of camp with us he was wildly inaccurate. 

So essentially you are telling us we should keep Pat White on our NFL roster because he was an accurate passer who could run 5-6 years ago when he was playing in the "Big East"?  No offense but do you realize why you're being heavily criticized for this thinking?

Pat White is not an NFL quarterback. He was decent at WVA, but was not effective in the NFL. There is zero chance he makes the team as a QB. If the roster permits he could make as some type of flex player, but more than likely this is an audition for the rest of the league.

Pretty much, this.

Lol at the guy that thinks White could end up the #2 QB. Not a chance. Like you said, he probably doesnt even make the team.

Well whether White makes the team or not, they are taking a good look at him anyway.

Was he on Miami's roster about the same time Beck was ?

RG3 and Cousins are 1 and 2 the chances either Rex or White take the field are slim!!!

Pat White is not an NFL quarterback. He was decent at WVA, but was not effective in the NFL. There is zero chance he makes the team as a QB. If the roster permits he could make as some type of flex player, but more than likely this is an audition for the rest of the league.

I concur.   If they wanted a guy that could run around a little bit, there's plenty of them, I don't know if Pat White would've been my guy to bring in.  But whatever.  

In a few years, we WILL need a new #2. Kirk will eventually move on. At that time, Rex will be way too old (and hopefully rusty) to play. So if White can learn and perform well, this would be the time to trade Rexy for a conditional 6th round pick

Trade Rex for a 6th round pick? 

Very few things in life are really certain, but that Rex has zero trade value is one of them.

Rex sits at #3 behind possibly the greatest 1-2 punch of QBs on any NFL roster. He is an experienced QB with a SB under his belt. Our #3 QB could easily be a strong #2 on many rosters. Like him or not, he is worthy of a 6 round pick to many teams. I don't see the overvaluing on that statement.

Didn't know quarterbacks could be 1-2 punches.

We haven't seen any pre-season or training camp yet, but I feel confident in saying Grossman's the much better QB. That said, if you have to play your 3rd QB, then you're pretty doomed anyhow. So I don't feel a need to always go with the best QB. If White can provide something else, like versatility, then maybe you give him the nod. But I'm not sure White can do that either.

Not only can Sav Rocca kick further than Pat White can throw, but its also a much tighter spiral #RedskinsRVA

Paul Conner ‏@P_Hazard

@Steveospeak The more Pat White throws, the further his stock drops. He is a 2 now after that 10 yard overthrow. #RedskinsRVA

And guys were actually clamoring for Rex to be cut for Pat White lol

I mentioned this in another thread, but I have to echo the above...went to camp today and even during the walk through he didn't look good.

He still has speed, but I think if the plan was to bring him in to mimic RGIII then it is already a failure, as the skill level between the two is so far apart its laughable.

While Grossman isn't much better you know what you are getting out of him and he was even running some read option plays today. He is a vet that you know can spot start, and knows the Shanaplan.

Unless Pat White gets some significant playing time, and impresses in some preseason games I cant see him making it on this team.

Damn there's a LOT of stupid going in in here.

Cousins will be showcased in Pre Season & used as trade bait. He will NOT hit FA. We will get something for him, whether it be picks or a player.

Pat White Trash IS a camp body. He will NOT unseat Cousins for the #2 job. He has an opportunity to unseat Rex at #3 but don't count on that happening either. Remember, we also kicked the tires on Jamarcus Russell. He didn't even get an offer. White is half a step further along then JR was when we kicked his tires.

Dual Pistol formation

deadpool_final.jpg

Deadpool approves

I mentioned this in another thread, but I have to echo the above...went to camp today and even during the walk through he didn't look good.

He still has speed, but I think if the plan was to bring him in to mimic RGIII then it is already a failure, as the skill level between the two is so far apart its laughable.

While Grossman isn't much better you know what you are getting out of him and he was even running some read option plays today. He is a vet that you know can spot start, and knows the Shanaplan.

Unless Pat White gets some significant playing time, and impresses in some preseason games I cant see him making it on this team.

Yea Pat White unfortunately just doesn't have what it takes to play at this level, but he was a baller in college that much I can say. 

okay that's what wanted to here if  White is doing that bad he needs to be released and Rex makes the Roster for another year.

but sooner or later we will have to pick up a qb to groom  because Rex isn't getting younger and Cousins will Eventually be traded

This year, Rex, easily. White will end up on the practice squad. In 2014 and beyond, White will be the logical #3 and eventual #2 when (not if) Cousins moves on.

Although, to be honest, I hope we secure a better backup than White when the time comes.

This year, Rex, easily. White will end up on the practice squad. In 2014 and beyond, White will be the logical #3 and eventual #2 when (not if) Cousins moves on.

Although, to be honest, I hope we secure a better backup than White when the time comes.

"White's passes look worse than Sav's punts" those were the exact words from a beat writer on twitter. White wont even make the practice squad he's looking terrible out there. We'll probably take a flyer on a 5th round dual threat QB in the draft the year we trade Kirk. 

He overthrew a 10 yard route, no possible way will this guy ever be a #2 QB for us! lol 

Archived