Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pat White or Rex Grossman at 3# qb?

hailyeah1

Wow!!! we are all over the board on this .

i believe something is up White may work into a wr/emergency position and the pistol formation  could be real interesting with RG3 and White in the back field at the same time.

Rex is a good mentor but he can't run to get away from a rush throws too many ints,fumbles way too much  ,coaching may be in his near future!!!

I didn't really think Pat White was to be 'taken seriously' in the QB lineup this year.  

I will say this:  the team is better, and Grossman could do better.  Remember that kickass TD run by Garcon on Thanksgiving?  Troy Aikman suggested RG3 threw it in the wrong spot, and, whether or not he did, Garcon snatched it down.  In other words, Garcon would make Rex look a tad better.  Not to mention Morris.

And if 11 gets open downfield, you know damn well Rexy could put a dragon on him.  Then there's all the 'little things' about being an NFL QB that Rex obviously already knows.  The only thing with White, I imagine, might be the 'college stuff', and lets remind ourselves we really only run those plays a couple times a game.

On a side note, GHH, is my internet breaking, or did your Rexy sig time finally expire?  :lol: damn shame

If you look at the play, it was thrown the ONLY place it could have been thrown.  If RG3 had thrown it to the 'right place', it would have been picked off with as much likelihood that it would have been picked off if Garcon had missed it.  Garcon had made a similar play on the ball twice before (including the RG3's first TD pass).

I didn't really think Pat White was to be 'taken seriously' in the QB lineup this year.  

I will say this:  the team is better, and Grossman could do better.  Remember that kickass TD run by Garcon on Thanksgiving?  Troy Aikman suggested RG3 threw it in the wrong spot, and, whether or not he did, Garcon snatched it down.  In other words, Garcon would make Rex look a tad better.  Not to mention Morris.

And if 11 gets open downfield, you know damn well Rexy could put a dragon on him.  Then there's all the 'little things' about being an NFL QB that Rex obviously already knows.  The only thing with White, I imagine, might be the 'college stuff', and lets remind ourselves we really only run those plays a couple times a game.

On a side note, GHH, is my internet breaking, or did your Rexy sig time finally expire?  :lol: damn shame

If you look at the play, it was thrown the ONLY place it could have been thrown.  If RG3 had thrown it to the 'right place', it would have been picked off with as much likelihood that it would have been picked off if Garcon had missed it.  Garcon had made a similar play on the ball twice before (including the RG3's first TD pass).

If that's the case then he shouldn't have thrown it.

I like Rex. In fact, I’ve been one of his biggest supporters on ES.

Rex has taken so much flak (sometimes deservedly so) from the fans and mediots for his play on the field.  But what some fail to recognize is the class, respect, playbook knowledge, and positive attitude he brings to the organization. RGIII once mentioned that Rex has been a fantastic mentor/teacher/friend.

Rex NEVER ONCE complained to media (*cough McNabb cough*) about his roll on the team, he never blamed others for his mistakes (*cough Jason Campbell cough*).

You know, sometimes the bad players make excellent coaches. Perhaps Rex may have found his niche.

I want Rex as the 3rd QB.

Plus, he owns the Giants!

Pat White threw 5 passes in '09 and didn't complete any of them.  He hasn't played pro ball in 2 years.  He's basically a worse Brandon Banks right now.

The idea that we're considering him over Rexy, at this point in time, is laughable.

White can have Banks old spot for emergency qb/ trick play stuff. Other than that, we might see him in preseason and see.

Is that really a spot we want to fill?

Grossman isn't on the roster to play quarterback. Some teams don't even carry three quarterbacks.

He's on the roster for injury concerns, sure, but the primary reason he's on the roster is to support Griffin and Cousins. We can say what we will about his ability to lead the team on the field on a week to week basis, but he's a good, smart guy who knows the game. He's an insurance policy at quarterback with the ability to coach.

Pat White will not make the team over him. He barely has a NFL arm.

Thanks Coach!

Tampa Bay game as the Bucs are attempting (and ultimately make) a field goal to take the lead with minutes left in the game... a pressure situation for any QB (let alone a rookie).  And the situation was especially frustrating because we should've been up by at least a couple of field goals had Cundiff made two out of the three:

Rex:  You better hope he makes this

Rob: Huh?

Rex:  You better hope he makes this, so you have the chance to lead the game winning drive.

^^^ #leadership

In a few years, we WILL need a new #2. Kirk will eventually move on. At that time, Rex will be way too old (and hopefully rusty) to play. So if White can learn and perform well, this would be the time to trade Rexy for a conditional 6th round pick

Trade Rex for a 6th round pick? 

Very few things in life are really certain, but that Rex has zero trade value is one of them.

Rex sits at #3 behind possibly the greatest 1-2 punch of QBs on any NFL roster. He is an experienced QB with a SB under his belt. Our #3 QB could easily be a strong #2 on many rosters. Like him or not, he is worthy of a 6 round pick to many teams. I don't see the overvaluing on that statement.

Rex was a free agent with zero offers other than from Washington and now someone is going to give a draft pick for a guy they didn't want for free?  Grossman wouldn't be here if there was a team interested in even letting him compete for a #2 spot.  In Washington despite his relationships he is going to have to fight to justify a roster spot as a #3/inactive.  No competitor would settle for that if a number #2 job was even remotely possible somewhere.

It should be fairly evident to anyone that follows the Redskins that we are the only team Rex Grossman truly has any value to.  I don't mean that to be negative, I'm a big fan of the guy, its just what the league has shown us over the past three seasons.

Wow ! support for Ole Rex  go figure .

most everyone before redskins .com  deleted the ability to comment on articles wasn't to thrilled with Grossman.

Like I said a good mentor and most likely good coaching material but his days of playing qb are probably at an end .

if white is doing as bad as reported  Grossman still might be on the roster as a player. Last year he was more like a coach only suiting up twice last year backing up Cousins I believe.

A whole lot of opinions on the QB topics, but none of us know much of anything because  Shanahan is a good politician and general. He runs a tight ship and information has to be SQUEEZED out of him.

Here are the facts: RG3 is coming back from a horrible injury and its not his first. Both knees were operated on.

Rex Grossman never took a team to the Superbowl the Chicago Defense did. So the fact the Grossman started a Superbowl is insignificant, especially since he lost.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB with a good arm. Never going to have a great arm but could develop into a GREAT QB with the right system, the right supporting staff, and if he gets an opportunity. He may start against Philly, but he may not. That is all we can say.

Pat White was a winner in college and made things happen. He is a very good runner, he was an accurate QB, but he does not have the prototypical size or arm of an NFL QB. He is small for a QB, in fact I believe no NFL QB weighs less. White has the build of a wide receiver or half back. He just happened to have been very accurate with his passes in college but was known more for his running ability, which is why MIAMI drafted him for the Wildcat.

And the final fact, if RG3 does not see much or any action in Preseason, then we will see a LOT of Pat White and Rex because Kirk Cousins is not likely to play that much either and the Redskins really need find out which receivers will step up. So in 5 weeks there won't be all these unknown questions about Pat White.

Enough with the Pat White stuff. He can't throw an accurate pass in the NFL to save his life. Wildly inaccurate. He's there as a preseason arm and a camp arm. If he makes the team its not for his ability at quarterback.

I haven't heard much, but what I did wasn't good. Reports out of mini camp had him

Inaccurate and throwing wildly. No, Rex won't get you 8-9 wins. But at least you know you

Pat White won't make the roster if the reports of his "severely inaccurate" passing during mini-camp are true. 

He apparently improved. From Rich Tandler:

—I had this in my practice notes but for some reason I left it out of my report from Thursday: Pat White’s arm looked more lively and accurate than it did a couple of weeks ago. He fired a few passes in on target about 15 yards downfield. For the first OTA those passes were inaccurate rainbows. It’s likely that a lot of it is confidence; after three years away from the game it can take some time to get used to the speed of the game. White is still a long shot to make the team, especially since it now looks like RG3 will be ready for opening day. But he could get a shot elsewhere if he looks good over the next few months.

Enough with the Pat White stuff. He can't throw an accurate pass in the NFL to save his life. Wildly inaccurate. He's there as a preseason arm and a camp arm. If he makes the team its not for his ability at quarterback.

I've been saying that since the day he signed and people pretend it's crazy.

But Pat White has a name, so people will root for him, for some reason.

In a few years, we WILL need a new #2. Kirk will eventually move on. At that time, Rex will be way too old (and hopefully rusty) to play. So if White can learn and perform well, this would be the time to trade Rexy for a conditional 6th round pick

That could come as early as the 2014 offseason. Waiting until the end of the 3rd season could hurt his value knowing that he will be a FA in one year.

A whole lot of opinions on the QB topics, but none of us know much of anything because  Shanahan is a good politician and general. He runs a tight ship and information has to be SQUEEZED out of him.

Here are the facts: RG3 is coming back from a horrible injury and its not his first. Both knees were operated on.

Rex Grossman never took a team to the Superbowl the Chicago Defense did. So the fact the Grossman started a Superbowl is insignificant, especially since he lost.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB with a good arm. Never going to have a great arm but could develop into a GREAT QB with the right system, the right supporting staff, and if he gets an opportunity. He may start against Philly, but he may not. That is all we can say.

Pat White was a winner in college and made things happen. He is a very good runner, he was an accurate QB, but he does not have the prototypical size or arm of an NFL QB. He is small for a QB, in fact I believe no NFL QB weighs less. White has the build of a wide receiver or half back. He just happened to have been very accurate with his passes in college but was known more for his running ability, which is why MIAMI drafted him for the Wildcat.

And the final fact, if RG3 does not see much or any action in Preseason, then we will see a LOT of Pat White and Rex because Kirk Cousins is not likely to play that much either and the Redskins really need find out which receivers will step up. So in 5 weeks there won't be all these unknown questions about Pat White.

Look at his NFL numbers not college, he's had 5 passing attempts and they were all incompletions in his whole entire pro career. He was a bust at the NFL level. 

Almost every player who gets to the NFL was a "star" in college so what he did in college is a mute point, it's what you can do at the pro level. He has done absolutely nothing at the pro level, his numbers show he's an even worse NFL QB than John Beck and Beck is terrible.

A lot of fans are in this forum clamoring for a QB who has yet to complete a pass at the NFL level to make our roster. What specifically can Pat White bring to our roster? Chris Thompson is the guy taking the banks role so what can Pat White bring?

Look at his NFL numbers not college, he's had 5 passing attempts and they were all incompletions in his whole entire pro career. He was a bust at the NFL level. 

Almost every player who gets to the NFL was a "star" in college so what he did in college is a mute point, it's what you can do at the pro level. He has done absolutely nothing at the pro level, his numbers show he's an even worse NFL QB than John Beck and Beck is terrible.

A lot of fans are in this forum clamoring for a QB who has yet to complete a pass at the NFL level to make our roster. What specifically can Pat White bring to our roster? Chris Thompson is the guy taking the banks role so what can Pat White bring?

you have made one of the most ridiculous statements of all time on this board. You have just claimed that someone who has thrown FIVE passes is a bust. By your definition some of the greats would have been a bust after going 1 for 5.

By no means does anyone need to put Pat White in the Hall of Fame but I don't see a reason for all the negativity surrounding somebody who is trying out with the Skins at a position which has been so poor for so long. He was drafted in Miami to be a running QB and then he was injured, had a concussion and took time off. He is healed, and looking for a 2nd chance and Shanahan appears to like him and believes he has some talent. He may look good in preseason, or he may not but apparently you have some inside information. You should call Mr White and tell him the day he will be cut so he can get an advance ticket price at the bus station.

you have made one of the most ridiculous statements of all time on this board. You have just claimed that someone who has thrown FIVE passes is a bust. By your definition some of the greats would have been a bust after going 1 for 5.

By no means does anyone need to put Pat White in the Hall of Fame but I don't see a reason for all the negativity surrounding somebody who is trying out with the Skins at a position which has been so poor for so long. He was drafted in Miami to be a running QB and then he was injured, had a concussion and took time off. He is healed, and looking for a 2nd chance and Shanahan appears to like him and believes he has some talent. He may look good in preseason, or he may not but apparently you have some inside information. You should call Mr White and tell him the day he will be cut so he can get an advance ticket price at the bus station.

Yes if you were drafted to be a QB in 2009 and you have 5 passing attempts and they are all incompletions you are a BUST. It's not like he was drafted by a team with a "Franchise" QB in place blocking his opportunity for playing time , he went to miami and was so terrible he struggled to even get playing time. If he was good he would have received more opportunities to pass especially in an organization like Miami who hasn't had a franchise QB since marino. 

You call it "Negativity" we call it "The Truth" Pat White is a "Camp Body", they usually are gone by 1st or 2nd cuts. He's struggled as a passer since he's entered the league and that is why he's only had 5 passing attempts for his career which were all incompletions.  Our QB position is set, we have RG3, Kirk and Rex, Grossman is probably the best number 3 QB in the entire league. It's not my fault that Pat White brings nothing to the table, don't be mad at me be mad at Pat White. 

I would love for Pat to turn out to be a stud, however with what we know as of Today he's been terrible in the pros. until that changes I would much rather have Rex Grossman over an unknown commodity in Pat White. A Lot of Pat White supporters have this Pipe Dream that if we sign Pat White he is going to all of a sudden turn in to the WVU Pat White. He hasn't been the WVU Pat White in 5-6 years, eventually you just have to realize it's going to never happen. lol

Both Pat White and Rex will see alot of action in preseason games because the Skins will want to protect Kirk Cousins and of course, RG3 will be PUPed.

My prediction is that Rex will do well and Pat will flounder ... andt that at end of day both will wind up as fodder and neither will make the 53.

In fact, I would not be surprised if Skins picked up another QB early in TC to share the fodder load ... especially if RG3 is PUPed.

Archived