Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pat White or Rex Grossman at 3# qb?

hailyeah1

I would take Rex in a heart beat over Pat White!!! Rex Grossman has shown he can play QB in this league, while Pat White has not shown that. As of what we know as of today, Why would we keep Pat White? The most memorable thing he has done in this league is get knocked out in the steelers game unfortunately. The guy is still living off of what he did at West Virginia in 2008, that was 5 years ago.  lol

White is a camp arm. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rex knows the play book, can start in a pinch, and has basically become a glorified QB coach. If the Redskins want a younger, more mobile quarterback, they can always draft a better one than Pat White next year.

In a few years, we WILL need a new #2. Kirk will eventually move on. At that time, Rex will be way too old (and hopefully rusty) to play. So if White can learn and perform well, this would be the time to trade Rexy for a conditional 6th round pick

God, I love all of you on this board   :lol:

As only a mother......can.   :lol:

I think the more pertinent question is do we need to carry 3 QB's?

And if we do, just how much of a concern is 10's health and just how ready is he for Werk 1?

If the answer to the first question is yes, then the answer to the second is a major concern. If the answe to the first is no, then we'll probably be fine to recall Rex at any time as its doubtful he gets picked up at this stage of his career so 2 it will be.

Hail.

And if we do, just how much of a concern is 10's health and just how ready is he for Werk 1?

If the answer to the first question is yes, then the answer to the second is a major concern. If the answe to the first is no, then we'll probably be fine to recall Rex at any time as its doubtful he gets picked up at this stage of his career so 2 it will be.

Hail.

We kept three QBs last year...had zero to do with health concerns (or any other real concerns) about RG3.

Grossman isn't on the roster to play quarterback. Some teams don't even carry three quarterbacks.

He's on the roster for injury concerns, sure, but the primary reason he's on the roster is to support Griffin and Cousins. We can say what we will about his ability to lead the team on the field on a week to week basis, but he's a good, smart guy who knows the game. He's an insurance policy at quarterback with the ability to coach.

Pat White will not make the team over him. He barely has a NFL arm.

White was brought in as a camp arm.

He has training camp & Pre Season to try to push Rex out. Best of luck to him on that as he'a going to need it. I don't really see him pushing Rex out at all.

I would agree that I'd be more comfortable turning to Grossman than White in 2013. But, as someone mentioned above, maybe we shouldn't be looking for a current #3, but a future #2.

He has training camp & Pre Season to try to push Rex out. Best of luck to him on that as he'a going to need it. I don't really see him pushing Rex out at all.

I would agree that I'd be more comfortable turning to Grossman than White in 2013. But, as someone mentioned above, maybe we shouldn't be looking for a current #3, but a future #2.

That's not Pat White IMO - he has a shot to prove himself in practice and maybe a preseason game or two and if he looks great that's fantastic but it will also be a surprise.

That's not Pat White IMO - he has a shot to prove himself in practice and maybe a preseason game or two and if he looks great that's fantastic but it will also be a surprise.

True...I'm probably just hopeful. Is it bad that part of me wants Kirk to look unspectacular this pre-season in the hopes that he'd have to settle for being Griffin's career backup?

We kept three QBs last year...had zero to do with health concerns (or any other real concerns) about RG3.

That was then. This is now.

Last year, we had two unproven rooks in the top two slots. This year, we're happy we can rely on either.

With other major concerns probably leaving us carrying more bodies than you'd ideally like in certain positions; I honestly wouldn't waste a spot on the 3rd QB when Rex will, in all likelihood, be available off the street in an emergency.

Hail.

Pat White willing to play other positions to stay with Redskins

My take is this. If he can prove that he can catch the ball, or rush the ball. Then maybe he earns a spot listed as a WR. If you REALLY believe this offense is mature enough to use him for the occasional trick play. But, he has to be productive outside of that.

As far as Rex, in my tweet conversations with beat reporters......Rex wants to be on a team. If he didn't, then he might be an asst. QB coach under Kyle right now. That might be his future. I like Rex as the #3 guy and teacher in pads. But there should be zero chance he is on the field.

Hail.

Two rookies concern. The year before we went with Rex and Beck with Crompton on the PS.

True, we could go with RG3/Cousins with a guy like White being a list WR and your emergency #3. Does anybody think Rex would be picked up somewhere else. I guess its possible.

If we released him I could maybe see him getting picked up mid season if someone gets into trouble with I injuries and needs to bring in a street free agent to be their primary back up. He is far more valuable to us though than anyone else because of his familiarity with our scheme and his ability to serve as a player/coach with two young QBs ahead of him on the depth chart.

Choosing White over Rex is absurd. Yes, Rex is NOT who you want as your starter, or probably your backup, but he is arguably the best 3rd string QB in the league. If RGIII and Cousins were a few years in, it might be different, but they're still 2nd year guys, so there is a benefit having a veteran with tons of experience there to help guide them, and to play in an emergency situation. And as others have said, there is a good chance they could still cut him and have him available if needed (like with Cooley last year).

White may have a shot to get a 2nd or 3rd string QB job in the league, but probably not with the Skins. And as for him making the team at another position, we already have plenty of competition at those spots, so I just don't see it happening.

That was then. This is now.

Last year, we had two unproven rooks in the top two slots. This year, we're happy we can rely on either.

With other major concerns probably leaving us carrying more bodies than you'd ideally like in certain positions; I honestly wouldn't waste a spot on the 3rd QB when Rex will, in all likelihood, be available off the street in an emergency.

Hail.

I'm not against what you're saying...I just think that if Shanahan keeps three QBs it shouldn't automatically be seen as a major concern about RG3's health.

Hail.

Two rookies concern. The year before we went with Rex and Beck with Crompton on the PS.

And the year before that, we went with three QBs on the roster lol (McNabb, Grossman and Beck). Yes, Shanahan kept a gawd-awful John Beck on the team as the 3rd QB because he thought he liked him coming out of college and thought he could be salvaged.

I don't understand the hate for Rex Grossman, we're so lucky to have had Rex Grossman on our roster the past few years. Sure he's no franchise QB, heck he's not even a starter, but he's been so influential in Kirk and RG3's maturation process.

Sure Rex isn't a stud but he's given us good moments like the sweep of the giants/The whipping of the Seahawks in seattle (I hate them so much) lol and all of his outings were entertaining even if we ended up losing due to one of his interceptions lol. Not every player we have on our roster is going to be "ELITE" but that doesn't mean that they aren't useful for the team in other forms. 

I for one have enjoyed Sexy Rexy being on the roster, he's given us everything he's had and that for me will ALWAYS be respected especially when talented players like Albert Haynesworth or Devin Thomas were so lazy. 

Rex was never supposed to be the starter, he was supposed to be the back up behind McNabb, it's not his fault Mcnabb became a bum and Rex was forced to be what he's not, a starting NFL QB for an NFL franchise. 

I didn't really think Pat White was to be 'taken seriously' in the QB lineup this year.  

I will say this:  the team is better, and Grossman could do better.  Remember that kickass TD run by Garcon on Thanksgiving?  Troy Aikman suggested RG3 threw it in the wrong spot, and, whether or not he did, Garcon snatched it down.  In other words, Garcon would make Rex look a tad better.  Not to mention Morris.

And if 11 gets open downfield, you know damn well Rexy could put a dragon on him.  Then there's all the 'little things' about being an NFL QB that Rex obviously already knows.  The only thing with White, I imagine, might be the 'college stuff', and lets remind ourselves we really only run those plays a couple times a game.

On a side note, GHH, is my internet breaking, or did your Rexy sig time finally expire?  :lol: damn shame

Archived