Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So you think there was just as much, or more talent then, as there is now? (Just curious)

I think there are better athletes now but as far as guys that are great AND win, I'm not sure it's a huge increase if at all. Look at the Spurs and one thinks they have some good talent sounding a superstar, but none of those guys could score a bucket once kawhi went out. The Celtics were a good team but no one truly great. 

Does comparing an era with more guys playing in the post diminish how good they are compared to guys that can shoot 3s but have no post game? 

I don't know. I see a game played and coached definitely now but that doesn't mean there is more talent to me.

2 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

By the way, 1997 All NBA was insane. The average age of the first team was 114 years old. The third team was John Stockton chaperoning four guys who couldn't be left alone in a large city.

Imagine how good the Wizards would be if Gortat was allowed to suckerpunch someone once a month. No one would go in the lane.

Jason Smith would be a max contract player.

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

I always am reminded that Lebron is the same size as Karl Malone.  

Not quite as tall and muscle-bound.  LeBron has a human being's shoulders.  Malone was a cartoon character.  Probably played at 260-270 and about 200 of those pounds were above the waist.  Dwight Howard is probably the only guy that's come along since who is as strapped as Malone was, and even he is a bit lankier.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Basketball used to be way more structured and offenses were more complicated.

in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

The game 10-25 years ago was a 2 man game, iso, or dump it into the post.

The complicated offenses are coming back. 

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I feel like the Celtics are making a mistake here.  And I like that feeling.

Agreed.  I love this move for Philly.  If Embiid and Simmons don't pan out, then they can start over with Fultz.  But I figure one of Simmons/Embiid will pan out and they will have a nice two man foundation.

I'm thinking there will be a 25% chance that the Celtics will have back to back #1 picks from Brooklyn.  They'll probably pick no worse than third or fourth next draft.  They're making a mistake in not using that golden opportunity to start over and lay a foundation that can actually compete for a championship in five or six seasons when Golden State's window finally closes.  If the Wizards had the #1 pick and Brooklyn's pick plus Isaiah Thomas and some tradable contracts instead of Wall/Beal/Porter, there is no question I'd be blowing it up and starting over with Fultz.  Trade IT for a young wing/big with a high ceiling (Drummond?) and then hope I pick high enough for Michael Porter next year.

By trying to win with IT and Horford and a bunch of role playing wings, they're locking themselves into competing with the Wizards for the right to lose to Golden State in a couple of years when LeBron finally gets too old to win the East.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I feel like the Celtics are making a mistake here.  And I like that feeling.

It feels like a minimal one at best. If they have fultz and jackson at similar grades, why not stack more picks for the future?

They have positioned themselves to have many high valued assets moving forward. I'm jealous to be honest.

Edited by StillUnknown

I didn't and still haven't paid much attention to this draft class but I was curious to know about markelle fultz..and the few highlight videos and the cut up of him vs lonzo...I see a lack of passion and desire. It's like he is just going through the motion and doesn't care too much. You could even see it in the close ups of his facial reactions. I see the talent but my question is whst makes him so deserving as the number 1 pick? What is the difference between him and lonzo THE PLAYER not including the dad and the headache that would be. 

Lonzo has an ordinary first step, has a funky shot, isn't nearly as strong, and isn't the creative scorer that Fultz is.

Let's say Fultz's best case scenario is Dwyane Wade and Ball's is Jason Kidd.  You take Wade over Kidd any day of the week.  He's so much better and more valuable than Kidd was.

Or another comparison is James Harden.  I see a lot of Harden in the off kilter, easy flow of Fultz's game.  What you see as a lack of passion reminds me of Harden's sleepy affect.  They're not traditional alpha personalities but they're brilliant volume scorers who can generate like 40% of your offense.

I see Fultz's floor as Damian Lillard.  Ball's floor is Michael Carter Williams.  His game isn't as natural a translation to the modern NBA and he's not as safe.  If Ball's shot doesn't translate to the NBA, then he'll be hard to build around.  The Wizards managed to build around Wall, but Wall's shot was never busted looking and he grew into a strong mid range shooter.  And a rookie John Wall was also the fastest and strongest PG in the league.  Ball isn't that kind of athlete and it's going to be hard to rework his shot.

As for the Jason Kidd comparison that everyone is making with Ball, there are some differences.  Jason Kidd was a much better athlete.  He was a tank who bullied his way to the rim and scored off a back to basket game that opposing guards just had trouble matching up with physically.  Ball isn't nearly as strong and he's a pure face up player who shoots a lot of fallaways.  And Jason Kidd played above the rim whereas Ball isn't really that kind of aggressive finisher and leaper.  I think Kidd had a much faster first step too.  Ball is more skilled than Kidd was though.  Even though his shot looks broken, it goes in and he shoots with confidence and he can play off the ball.  Kidd couldn't shoot at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ball goes later in the draft that people expect.  If teams think Jackson can be the next Kawhi, then he could go second.  You didn't really see it at Kansas, but Jackson's recruiting tapes had some Vince Carter like stuff on them.  He's a lot more creative with his handle he seems.  And Tatum and Fox could go in front of him too.  Tatum is pretty clean and Fox ate Ball's lunch in the tourney.

27 minutes ago, Destino said:

Twolves have a very good three players... but they're 22 or younger.  It's going to take some time.  

Agreed.  When you draft a crop of stars together to be the foundation of a contender, it doesn't bear fruit until they're about 25-26 at the earliest.  So you're looking at 6 or 7 years after they're drafted for most of the one and dones before they're capable of leading a true contender.  And that's if everything goes right.

The only time you see stars contributing to championship contenders before that point in their careers is when they're the sidekick of an older star who is in his prime.  Kobe & Shaq, Wade & Shaq, and Irving & LeBron for example.