Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

It occurs to me that the great rim protecting centers seem to have really short shelf lives.  They usually have like a two or three season span where they are totally dominant and then they fall apart.  Happened with Dwight, Chandler, Noah, Hibbert, Bogut, and Gasol, to a lesser extent (he's not the defensive player he used to be, but he has so many offensive skills he's been able to change roles late in his career).

The days where you have a Ben Wallace who is a dominant defender forever are probably over.  I think the athletic and mental demands of playing great defense at the center position are so high that, by the time guys are strong, smart, and experienced enough to do it, they've only got like two seasons of excellent athleticism left.  It's kind of like cornerback in the NFL, where the best corner never keeps that belt for more than two or three seasons.  Might want to keep that in mind when building around a great defensive center like Rudy Gobert.  What's he got to fall back on when he looses footspeed and bounce?

5 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

3 DPOYs

5 time first team All NBA, and he made the other teams 3 other times

He is a first ballot HOFer. Resume is there.

Carried a team to the finals and beat LeBron to do it

People let their dislike of Dwight the person cloud their judgment.

Basketball HOF is probably the easiest to get into. Dwight is in easy IMO

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Might want to keep that in mind when building around a great defensive center like Rudy Gobert.  What's he got to fall back on when he looses footspeed and bounce?

With Gobert's size and wingspan, he'll be altering shots for a long time even if he's no longer dominant.  He's not really relying on tremendous athleticism.  But you're right, none of them stay dominant long on there own.  In the right system though, they can impact the game for a very long time if they have the instincts and IQ.  

You need a secondary skill in today's NBA.  Okafor is good at scoring, and that's it.  He's a poor defender as well.  Combine those things, and you have a guy who is on the fringe of being out of the league.  Okafor would have been better served playing in the NBA of yesteryear.  The way the game is evolving and not playing traditional 5's anymore, you could see the writing on the wall for Dwight Howard from a mile away.  The game is passing guys like Dwight Howard by.  It's just the nature of how the league is changing.  When you see bigs like Marc Gasol, Jason Smith, Brook Lopez, and Kris Humphries experimenting with shooting the 3, you understand how they are adapting to the ever-changing landscape of the league.  As herky-jerky as Dwight is outside of the post, this day was bound to come where he got the journeyman label.  I still maintain that he'll be out of the league, sooner rather than later.  Maybe even as quickly at the end of next season.  He'll still hoop, but over in Asia. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

Current NBA has made Dwight into a journeyman.  Still a first-ballot HOFer, but he'll be ballin' in China within the next year or two. 

Definitely. Didn't mean to imply he sucked as much as he is just a dinosaur at this point.

Those prime Magic teams were pretty damn tough, raining threes like comets, with him down low

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Those prime Magic teams were pretty damn tough, raining threes like comets, with him down low

thats another team, stylistically, that could give these Warriors problems.

They werent as good a 3 point shooting team as the Warriors, but that team was the template.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Honestly that would be the way I'd build my team in a fantasy world. Versatile front court, and run a Princeton style offense and just surround them with shooters

You would need a big that would not look like a clown when the Warriors get the match up they want. Dwight Howard in 2009 would have caused a lot of problems for the Warriors because they could not run him off the court.

They Magic just need an elite perimeter player to go with Dwight.

• Like 1

That Magic team was ahead of its time in some ways, but Dwight was also a defensive monster that fixed every defensive problem they had. He was also capable of scoring 20+ without having a single play run for him. I think we have forgotten how good he was before his back started giving him problems. It was getting pretty close to "All-time great" before it all went to pot.

So yea, this current Cavs team with prime Dwight could probably beat Golden State, and prime Dwight with the Celtics would give them problems. A team anchored by Anthony Davis could theoretically do it too. But the Pelicans are a mess.

There has just never been a team in history with three elite shooters where ALL three are also versatile as hell. It's like the Warriors have three prime Ray Allens, except one of them is 7 feet tall. It's insane.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

So yea, this current Cavs team with prime Dwight could probably beat Golden State, and prime Dwight with the Celtics would give them problems. A team anchored by Anthony Davis could theoretically do it too. But the Pelicans are a mess.

Figured they'd be in play to make something happen, but they have the ownership issue and im not sure what their cap situation is like. 

40 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I've heard Celtics trying to get Davis. He's going to be gone in a year anyway so they might make a push. 

I'd trade the number 3 and then some if I were Boston.