Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Cleveland doesn't use Love correctly at all.   The offense should be running through him at or above the top of the key every time down the court.  He's a terrific volume scorer and a decent passer and he would pull out defenders and create a ton of space for everyone else.  Pick and pop, pick and roll, hit the cutters - Love could dominate if you let him.  

Instead, Kyrie calls his own number over and over on isos, and everyone else except Lebron stands around waiting to see what Kyrie will do.   Love's strengths are completely wasted, and Lebron is only effective because he is so good that he is effective no matter what lame offense you run.  

The 1990s called and they want their stagnant offense back.    

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/240484/Kevin-Love-A-Lot-Of-Guys-Need-To-Look-At-Themselves-In-Mirror-Starting-With-LeBron

Kevin Love: A Lot Of Guys Need To Look At Themselves In Mirror, Starting With LeBron

“We have a lot of things to get better at," said Love. "That’s going to take a lot of guys looking themselves in the mirror, and it all starts with our leader (LeBron James) over there and dwindles on down.”

1.  I'm not sure if you can discount the Thunder.  I'm not sure the Cavs aren't the 4th best team in the NBA.

2.  I'm also not sure that really means very much.  Lebron is STILL at least easily the best player in the Eastern Conference.  I suspect if this summer he would have moved to any other Eastern Conference team, that team would now be the best team in the Conference (where the management of said team would have made corresponding moves based on getting Lebron and putting pieces around him).  It speaks more of to what the conference is what Lebron is than anything else.

3.  Love's DRTG numbers are over rated because of rebounding.  In most cases though, if a team loses a good rebound, the teams rebounding numbers don't go down much.  The rebounds just become more spread out over the rest of the team.

4.  It doesn't really matter how good of a defender Love is night in and night out.  They aren't going to play the Celtics in the finals and that's the objective (since they have Lebron), and he's a bad match up against the likes of the GS, Spurs, and Thunder.

5.  I don't think Love is a good enough player against good teams to be the initiator of the offense.  He's a better passer/player when the defense already is moving because of something somebody else has done.  You could probably run it in the regular season and have a good deal of success, but then I suspect you'd struggle in the playoffs.

6.  I suspect Cavs play a lot of iso ball because that's still their best chance of winning games in the finals.  If they can play iso ball, keep turnovers, and possessions at a minimum, and the score low, they can steal games (potentially) at the end.  They can't offensively match up with the likes of GS, Spurs, and Thunder and play any other way.

7.  Though, I largely do agree that iso with Kyrie makes little sense other than it allows you rest Lebron.  Kyrie is the better shooter and Lebron is the better play maker.  The ball should be in Lebron's hands.  At some level though, you reduce the value of the other when the other has the ball.

8.  The idea of instead of trading Wiggins for Love trading Kyrie for Love was actually brought up in the 2015 thread and I said that might make some sense.  I'm not sure a Love, Wiggins, Lebron pairing or a Kyrie, Wiggins, Lebron pairing is actually any better or close to winning a championship, but it wasn't hard to see that a Kyrie/Lebron or Lebron/Love pairing was going to have issues in terms of perimeter and transition defense and that Wiggins might be the better fit (and if you have Wiggins than you have less of a salary cap issues because he makes a lot less than Love or Kyrie).

9.  In that context, the Cavs have to get more/better offense out of the 5.  They can't match the likes of GS when they go small so they have to be able to have to stay big and make them pay.  They should have games where they out of their way to get the ball to their 5s in positions to score, especially in that last GS game.  Their 5s should have more shot attempts than they do (in general).

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

Mountains out of molehills... When you are at the top, everyone is looking for the crack in the armor; and Cleveland is still certainly at the top. Bested only by one other team, which is in the other conference. The same stories came out during Miami's first run.

Lebron tried to recreate the big 3 in Cleveland, but didnt factor in the intangibles that Wade and Bosh brought to the table. That being the ability to pass and or play defense. Cant really argue with his reasoning either. Irving and Love are better shooters, so in theory it could have filled the gaps. Additionally, Love is a better player now than Wiggins, and Lebron is going all in during the prime of his career. Nothing wrong with that. In the end, its still going to be Lebron vs whoever wins the gauntlet between San Antonio, Golden State, and Oklahoma City.

Speaking of the Cavs when is Thompson going to start earning that big contract?

Never.  He doesn't have the skills.   He's a terrific offensive rebounder, but being a terrific offensive rebounder is a narrow niche, and he brings nothing else to the table.  He's a low usage player with no offensive skills other than dunks, a lousy passer, a mediocre defender.  

Plus, when you have a big guy crashing for offensive rebounds all the time, your team transition defense suffers.  That's why the best teams of recent years like the Spurs and Heat only let their big men crash the offensive boards on a situational basis, and mostly had them hustle back on defense.   The guards can try for offensive rebounds if they want, because they remain in position to harass the ball handlers up the court.     

Kyle Lowry starting over John Wall in the All Star game is a JOKE.

Disagree.   From the perspective of a non-Wizards fan, that choice seems reasonable to me.   Wall will get selected as a reserve.  The other east starter should have been Jimmy Butler, not Wade.  

The biggest jokes from my point of view are Carmelo (should have been Drummond or Bosh) and of course Kobe (should have been Draymond or Demarcus).

edit:  LOL - Zaza Pachulia got more votes than Draymond, Demarcus, Anthony Davis or Blake Griffin.   Now that's hilarious.

Edited by Predicto

Disagree.   From the perspective of a non-Wizards fan, that choice seems reasonable to me.   Wall will get selected as a reserve.  The other east starter should have been Jimmy Butler, not Wade.  

The biggest jokes from my point of view are Carmelo (should have been Drummond or Bosh) and of course Kobe (should have been Draymond or Demarcus).

edit:  LOL - Zaza Pachulia got more votes than Draymond, Demarcus, Anthony Davis or Blake Griffin.   Now that's hilarious.

John Wall is the best PG in the east, and it isn't even close. The best PG in the east should, regardless of team, be starting in the All Star game*. 

*covering an all-time great in his last go-round like Kobe and MJ.

I actually think it was part of Lebrons terms for coming back. He was trying to build his Miami 3 in Cleveland and didn't realize or anticipate the small ball movement becoming such a problem for him

I agree with that. I simply felt Wiggins would have been a better fit and has more upside than Love. Not to mention cheaper. 

• Like 1

Fan voting is a stupid way of determining AS starters.Wall is a better player than Kyle Lowry. But Lowry is having a better season.

I'd be fine with fans voting for starters if they could only choose from the rosters players and coaches chose.

I'm surprised the league still has open voting. You'd think boards like 4chan and Chinese hackers would have found a way to rig the vote by now.

Not having Pat Riley in the front office is the Cavs problem.  They have no one that does anything other than try to make Lebron happy.  Tristan Thompson's contract demonstrates that beautifully.  I don't blame coaches for taking the job, if they keep their mouths shut they'll take a team to the finals every year, and that looks nice on a resume.  Might even win coach of the year like that bum Mike Brown.  Ultimately it's less "head coach" and more "Lebron's assistant coach".