Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

The 2007 Mavs remain the only 67 win team in league history to not make their conference finals.  Instead, they were bounced in the first round (by the Warriors) in what was probably the worst upset in playoff history.  How that team won 67 games though... I'm guessing their SRS ranking wasn't that great.

Back to Golden State, the big majority of teams that won 67+ won the title.  Not a huge surprise there.  An .800 + winning percentage is a historically good mark that usually means the team is truly great.

Also wanted to say that, after all of the drama of the postseason, once again we are left with a Finals match up that was very predictable back in January or so.  The playoffs were more open this year than they have been in ages, but the best teams--the teams that feature the two best players--still won in the end.

I will be stunned if this goes beyond 5. The Warriors are an all-time great team, and the Cavs are Lebron, a hobbled Kyrie, and some dudes he found at the rec center.

(Seriously, JR Smith plays the game like every dude I played with at the YMCA last year....except his shots actually go in at a reasonable clip).

I'll be rooting for my guys from Oakland, of course.

• Like 2

^^^ Thats the truth, I know I play exactly like Jr Smith except I have about 1/4 the swagger and 1/4 the FG percentage.

I have 4 times the fun though so it balances out I guess.

So you dribble between your legs 16 times before launching a flat jumper three feet behind the three point line?

I think I played against you. You are the worst.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of the guys at the rec center play more like Austin Rivers than JR Smith. They over estimate their speed, shooting ability, and are more likely to fall down trying to make a crazy dribble move than they are to pull it off. So what do they do to earn their keep? Look busy on defense.

Also can we stop pretending Shumpert is garbage? He's been a highly regarded defender for years now. On every team not named the Cavs those kinds of players are overly praised but people are so desperate to cling to the "Lebron is surrounded by garbage" narrative that they pretend his team is far worse than it is. He's got a two star team where JR Smith is a gunner off the bench. Essentially, a very standard NBA build and we're acting like we've never seen a team like this in the finals.

• Like 3

I will be stunned if this goes beyond 5. The Warriors are an all-time great team, and the Cavs are Lebron, a hobbled Kyrie, and some dudes he found at the rec center.

(Seriously, JR Smith plays the game like every dude I played with at the YMCA last year....except his shots actually go in at a reasonable clip).

I'll be rooting for my guys from Oakland, of course.

Finally someone with reason. Yes, LeBron's great. Golden State is loaded and they have a guy who doesn't even need to get to the hoop to score 30.

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of the guys at the rec center play more like Austin Rivers than JR Smith. They over estimate their speed, shooting ability, and are more likely to fall down trying to make a crazy dribble move than they are to pull it off. So what do they do to earn their keep? Look busy on defense.

Also can we stop pretending Shumpert is garbage? He's been a highly regarded defender for years now. On every team not named the Cavs those kinds of players are overly praised but people are so desperate to cling to the "Lebron is surrounded by garbage" narrative that they pretend his team is far worse than it is. He's got a two star team where JR Smith is a gunner off the bench. Essentially, a very standard NBA build and we're acting like we've never seen a team like this in the finals.

With the injuries to Love and Irving, this is a mediocre team from 2 through 12. The players are good, but it's not that far removed from, like, the Pelicans.

It did help the Cavs that the Hawks were a dumpster fire by the end of the year.

• Like 2

I'm not sure Irving is all that injured. He looked fine in that last game.

Might be wishful thinking on my part because I'm really looking forward to seeing the two best ball handlers in the league (sorry CP3) got at eachother in the NBA finals.

Sticks, how was Lebron handled last year by the Spurs? Meaning let him average 28 pts, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals, shooting over 50% from the field and 3 pt range? Doesn't sound like they handled much... Any other ideas, coach?

Edited by Mr. Sinister

LY4yymV.gif

Sticks, how was Lebron handled last year by the Spurs? Meaning let him average 28 pts, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals, shooting over 50% from the field and 3 pt range? Doesn't sound like they handled much... Any other ideas, coach?

The 4 assists is the key.  That's well below his average.  LeBron is going to get his points - you have to concentrate on keeping him from getting everyone else involved.  

Oh, and a huge part of the reason that Harden had such a bad game last night was because Andre Igoudala played the defensive game of his life and was in his grill all over the floor.   I'm not sure he can do that vs. LeBron because LeBron is so huge (and is smarter than Harden).

Edited by Predicto

LY4yymV.gif

The 4 assists is the key.  That's well below his average.  LeBron is going to get his points - you have to concentrate on keeping him from getting everyone else involved.  

Oh, and a huge part of the reason that Harden had such a bad game last night was because Andre Igoudala played the defensive game of his life and was in his grill all over the floor.   I'm not sure he can do that vs. LeBron because LeBron is so huge (and is smarter than Harden).

I look forward you trying to play the long-suffering, scared Dubs fan card while your team is winning the title via a sweep where the average margin of victory is 20 points.

Wow...those Cavs really gave us a scare tonight....for a moment, I thought Curry was going to have play in the 4th quarter.....

No one is happy for you.

• Like 2