Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Making of a Redskins Fan ; How Did YOU Become One?

My grandfather and great grandfather went to every game in the 30s at Griffith stadium. My grandfather has told me a few times of the wonderful victory parade following the 1937 championship.

As a result my mom was a huge Redskins fan her whole life, and as a result I was indoctrinated from birth. There wasn't any moment during which I became a Redskins fan. I always was and always will be. There were no options, decisions, or choices. I'm from D.C. and the Redskins are my team.

I had more of a conscious choice to root for the Orioles, since there was no other Baseball in the area. The Ravens hadn't arrived yet and growing up in Maryland meant I should be a Baltimore fan. I don't jump ship on teams, so when the Nationals showed up I wasn't about to become a fan.

Caps and Bullets, fan from birth as well.

I was 4 when we won the superbowl in 1991. My vivid memories of the Redskins have been heartbreak, despair, and failure. I am very excited for the good times to start rolling in.

I guess I could add a tidbit, which may or may not add a little interesting and unusual angle, but at one point in time, I remember hearing on the news about the Redskins were interested in signing Andre the Giant.

Wrestling was fun to watch as a kid, and that really stuck in my mind that they tried to get him. I can only imagine seeing him in a Skins uniform, with a helmet the size of a medicine ball !

Raul Allegre missed an extra point in Super Bowl XXI. Cost me $1000 bucks. I may still be bitter about it. My hatred of the Giants was born on that day, I looked in the newspaper and saw that the Redskins were the second best team in the Giants division. So I rooted for them to stick it to them.

Worked great one year later.....

I grew up in NoVA during the glory years. It wasn't hard. I remember watching the SBs after the 1982 and 1983 season, but I was about 7 years old, and wasn't exactly cognizant. I remember vivadly watching the playoffs after the 1987 season, and that's really when I became a die-hard fan. I can still close my eyes and watch, play by play, most of that SB.

The 1983 Washington Post sports page.

I started reading the Washington Post sports page on my own as a kid in 1983. Every day the headlines and pictures were of Riggins, Ripken and Ewing. They were larger than life, and I couldn't wait each morning to get the sports page and see what Gibbs had said in the media session after practice, or to see Cal's numbers from last night's game, or to see what poor souls were about to be dominated by Ewing.

It was a magical time and I have been hooked on DC sports ever since.

Add: I've had a hard time embracing the Nats. Yes, they're in different leagues but its too late for me, I'm an O's fan forever. And yet, I consider my self a DC sports homer. It's weird.

Grandparents moved from Boston to D.C. when the Redskins did. B&G running through family blood ever since.

Growing up in the area, George Allen and The Over The Hill gang, Beating Dallas in NFC Championship to go to SB VII.

Then I moved away at the age of 14 to Saints country, and only got to see maybe 3 games a year. Been a die hard fan ever since.

Weekend trips to Fredericksburg VA where my Grandma lived. My Dad, and 2 Uncles would be watching while I played with my car toys. Decided around '66 to watch with them. I'm not sure, but I think (before '72) the home games were shown there from a Richmond station... WTVR I think it was.

Hated Dallas (everything about it) since I was a kid. Mainly because of the tv show. After Dukes of Hazzard my choices were "watch Dallas with the 'rents or go in my room".

Didn't start getting into NFL til I was 20 ('96) and would have felt band-wagon-ey if I became a 9ers fan (b&r on the west coast, norcal), and the Raiders were just....no.

Burgandy has always been my favorite color, my initials are RS, I got a lil Indian in me, and at the time, Rod Stephens (same last name) was on the time, so a Redskins fan I became.

They've been pretty horrible the majority of the time I've been a fan, and I've taken a lot of flack for it (I live near where the 'Girls have their practice camp) by blowhard NBDers, but they're not talkin so loud these days :pfft:

Oh and I do NOT have NBDC, made my first trip to Fedex (and Canton) in November '11 when the 'Pukes came to town and won when Gano missed the FG.

Ol' "Stink" Mark Schlereth went to my high school (years before me) and worked out at my gym in the offseason. I think he was the only Pro from Alaska at the time, so there were a lot of Skins fans. That is how I became one. Then went to DC for school and the rest is history.

My brother and I grew up in Northern Maryland when there were no other teams around. My Dad was a Colts fan who turned to the Redskins when they left Baltimore. I can remember being almost 7 years old and watching the Redskins score an amazing 35 points in the second quarter of Superbowl XXII. I can remember being 10 years old and watching the Redskins beat the Bills for Superbowl XXVI. For as long as I can remember, I have been a diehard Skins fan.

It wasn't until 2010, approximately 4 months before my Father passed away that we received the email saying that we had finally gotten season tickets. Since his passing, my brother and I have developed an even stronger passion for the Redskins. We can only wish that our Father had been here to witness Robert Griffin III play for the Burgundy and Gold.

So with all of that said, my brother and I will ALWAYS bleed Burgundy and Gold no matter where we are. HTTR! :helmet:

Born and raised in the area. Never considered becoming a fan of any other team. My family is full of Redskins fans. Although many of the newer generations of my cousins have become Ravens fans over the last decade. The Colts were still in Baltimore at the time, but it was always Redskins for me. My favorite player growing up was the Diesel.

My interest in Baseball has diminished a lot over the years as well, but I still consider myself a fairly devoted Orioles fan. Although I never forgave Angelos for firing Davey Johnson. Probably would have grown up a Senators fan had they still been in the area.

I'm German and my mom married an American soldier in 1977 when I was 5. Later that same year, we were stationed in Ft Leavenworth Kansas. Little sidebar: one of the first places we went after we landed in NY was Washington DC. I remember it was night time and we drove by the White House and I saw the Monument. From there we drove to Reading Pa, where my step dad was from. After a visit there we were off to Kansas.

The first American friend I made there happened to be from Maryland and he was all about football and the Redskins. We tossed around the nerf football all the time. I remember I didn't understand football all that well but I loved playing it.Going long and catching that thing was like the best thing ever. I kinda followed football for the next few years, but living in Kansas and then when we moved back to Germany for the next three years so the Redskins games I was able to watch were very limited. I started to get a grip on football around the time I was 10, which just so happened to be 1982.

Aww yeah.

My first real vivid memory of Redskins football was Riggins carrying the ball 130 times in the Super Bowl. After that game I was totally hooked and I followed the Redskins any way I could. Sometimes they were on TV. Other times I had to hope they'd come on the radio. Sometimes all I could do was wait for my step dad to bring home the Stars and Stripes on Monday and so I could read the little blurb and look at the box score. Tough times, but the Redskins rewarded me with lots of wins.

Born & raised in the DC area. My love affair began at age 7, year 1 of Gibbs first tenure. I attended 2 games that year. I became obsessed almost immediately. I had a helmet, jersey, t-shirts, pennants, you name it. Winning the Super Bowl in year 2 made it practically a blood bond. I actually attended the NFC championship game that year at age 8. So very many of my fondest childhood memories involve the Redskins(And one of my worst-I attended SB XVIII:puke:). Through all the dark times I have never come close to wavering. I moved to Florida at age 18. I always went to sports bars to watch the games until I was able to buy the Sunday Ticket. I will always be a passionate, die hard Redskins fan until the day I die. HTTR.

Skins fan from birth. Born at Andrews to older siblings that were all Redskins Fans. (Parents were not Skins Fans- Dad is a Dallas fan.) Moved to Upstate NY when I was young. Watched Skins games every Sunday when we could get them. Grew up playing "Spot the Skins Fan" - occasionally we run into some around here. But it was NOTHING compared to going to my first game! Seeing all the other fans in head to toe Skins gear was overwhelming. Hoping for another trip to DC this year!!

It started with me listening with my Dad on the radio before the blackouts were lifted. alot of games from the 70's i would love to see again. why doesnt the nfl make many more games available for sale, lots of money to be made. Ice bowl, longest nfl game ever, Kenny Houston tackling walt garrison at the goalline to save a game, the 72 playoffs and many many more

I was raised a Giants fan in the late 50's and early 60's.

Moved into a neighborhood with Cowboys players around me in the early 90's.

And I've had season tix to Baylor football since 1999.

Thanks Robert.

HTTR!

Archived