Alaskins

The Official ES Redskins Name Change Thread---All Things Related to Changing the Team's Name Go Here

Recommended Posts

(Corrected)

The fact the *Fake* WshPost article starts off with the WAshington Football team was a dead give away.

 

Edited by Veretax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Would be more than happy for the change to be real, I know Snyder will never go for it but honestly the name issue is a millstone around the teams neck and as a fan from all the way back to the beginning of the Gibbs era I can honestly say I think it is time to let the name go.

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but I agree. I feel as though the organization is more concerned with the name and its image than winning. I’ve said it before, put them in brown on white and call them the Washington Underwear Stains for all I care. I want a winner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

 

 

Tyrrelle Prior started it. 

Oh.. for a second I thought you were goint to say  it was Kurt Cousins... You know the guy from the Maroon and Black gang? :)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Veretax This should not be in the Stadium There is a name thread in the Tailgate as this is also politics related. May want to reach out to the Mods and ask them to move it before they do it themselves. Possibly less consequence if there is mea-culpa.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted it here because I thought it was relevant to Redskins fans, not because of the politics.  However, if you think it belongs in the tailgate, I've not got an issue with it being moved.  (The line here feels a little gray to me on this particular one).  I'll try to reach out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Veretax said:

I posted it here because I thought it was relevant to Redskins fans, not because of the politics.  However, if you think it belongs in the tailgate, I've not got an issue with it being moved.  (The line here feels a little gray to me on this particular one).  I'll try to reach out

 

 

There is no grey area when it comes to the name change thread. But it's up to you. I am not a mod. Just trying to help a fellow poster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

 

 

There is no grey area when it comes to the name change thread. But it's up to you. I am not a mod. Just trying to help a fellow poster.

I went ahead and reached out.  Thanks for letting me know, calmly.  I hardly ever want to start threads anymore.  Most of what I want to talk about is already there, and don't have the mega hours to lurk like I used to.

My comment was not intended as arguing over your interpretation of the rules.  I'm actually at a loss here either way.  I need to make time to go review them now either way.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Would be more than happy for the change to be real, I know Snyder will never go for it but honestly the name issue is a millstone around the teams neck and as a fan from all the way back to the beginning of the Gibbs era I can honestly say I think it is time to let the name go.

 

Why do you feel that way? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel that way because it continues to be an issue that has nothing to do with winning or losing football games.  I am not ashamed of the name and I don't think there is an intent to cause offence but being old as dirt I know how this thing will end having seen it play out in many other arenas, the name is going to be changed.  If you accept the inevitability of it then you have to ask why delay it? 

 

The constant media noise around it just adds to the negativity that seems to have enveloped the team in the Snyder era and maybe shedding a little of that negativity will help to finally turn the corner.  When all is said and done, I am tired of the debate and just want to put it in the rearview mirror. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I feel that way because it continues to be an issue that has nothing to do with winning or losing football games.  I am not ashamed of the name and I don't think there is an intent to cause offence but being old as dirt I know how this thing will end having seen it play out in many other arenas, the name is going to be changed.  If you accept the inevitability of it then you have to ask why delay it? 

 

The constant media noise around it just adds to the negativity that seems to have enveloped the team in the Snyder era and maybe shedding a little of that negativity will help to finally turn the corner.  When all is said and done, I am tired of the debate and just want to put it in the rearview mirror. 

 

It absolutely has everything to do with winning and losing football games.

 

This isn't an issue when the Skins suck (which is usually pretty often).  Yes, this story pops up from time to time but it didn't hit a fever pitch until RG3 had the hottest jersey in the league and then in his 2nd year the Redskins had more prime time games than anyone.  IIRC, the time where it was also a hot button topic was when the team went to the Superbowl in 91.  

 

Suddenly, the Redskins were everywhere and this became a hot take debate.  

 

As you can see, with the Skins back to playing mostly ****ty football, the debate has gone away.  No one said anything about this last year, or the year before.  No ones talking about it this year.  

 

Yet when the team was in the national spotlight, this was a huge issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2017 at 6:48 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

 

It absolutely has everything to do with winning and losing football games.

 

This isn't an issue when the Skins suck (which is usually pretty often).  Yes, this story pops up from time to time but it didn't hit a fever pitch until RG3 had the hottest jersey in the league and then in his 2nd year the Redskins had more prime time games than anyone.  IIRC, the time where it was also a hot button topic was when the team went to the Superbowl in 91.  

 

Suddenly, the Redskins were everywhere and this became a hot take debate.  

 

As you can see, with the Skins back to playing mostly ****ty football, the debate has gone away.  No one said anything about this last year, or the year before.  No ones talking about it this year.  

 

Yet when the team was in the national spotlight, this was a huge issue.

 

 

This is my point though.  If we ever have a decent team the debate will come roaring back and I absolutely believe that if we had a SB contender the NFL would go out of its way to make damn sure we did not make it to the game, watch the playoffs and we would get every bs penalty in the book to stop us so our name does not sully Goodell's big night out.  They could be the Washington Fairies for all I care, I support the team and not the name but I realize with Snyder in charge it will never change so yes the debate is dead for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally have no problem with the name changing, or the owner changing, or the entire team relocating the hell away from me at this point.

 

I do have a problem when people try to call out or correct Redskins fans when they say Redskins, like LZ Granderson did this past week with Peter Rosenberg. There is one man who controls what will or will not happen. His name is Daniel Snyder.

 

I respect the opinions of those Native Americans who are offended. I also respect the opinions of those who aren't. And as for whether or not it is offensive, 99% of the time I side with the opinions of the offended party. I am a minority, so I know the dangers of just casting aside ones pleas for reform, justice, etc, especially when it's just sports.

 

Accepting a change for a sports team that has been nothing but an abyss of frustration , embarrassment, and lost time, since the day I decided to root for them, would be 0.1 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. But when members of said offended party (actual members, not someone who's mothers cousins uncles grandfathers father, etc) come out and say not only are they not offended, but they take pride in it, and two polls decades apart (one by i don't know, one of worlds best journalism institutions and rivals of the team) have people overwhelmingly saying they aren't offended? Im sorry, but they matter as well. Numbers like that can never be ignored.

 

 

Let someone poll people who look like me and ask us is wetback, spick, etc offensive. It ain't gonna be 0% No (because people are nuts), but it is gonna be a single digit number, I promise you.

 

So for me, despite the fact I am on the side of an absurd amount  of dumbasses (and a smaller amount of people who feel that every NA voice should be heard) they are the Washington Redskins, until the day they are not. And honestly, it will be a great day, because lately, I am so not in the mood for this kind of ****

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy to see more of our fans are coming around on wanting to correct the problem. What little honor is left with our franchise could be salvaged and preserved with a re-branding. The Rising Hearts Coalition and their allies (pictured) proved just how easily it can happen. Image may contain: 13 people, people smiling, shoes and outdoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That picture kills me. That's what 30, 40 people? 

People clearly just don't care, with that tiny "protest," the Post poll, it's not the groundswell social movement Costas, Olbermann, et at made it out to be.

Add to that the Supreme Court ruling, it's over, it's not changing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RFKFedEx said:

I'm happy to see more of our fans are coming around on wanting to correct the problem. What little honor is left with our franchise could be salvaged and preserved with a re-branding. The Rising Hearts Coalition and their allies (pictured) proved just how easily it can happen. 

 

 

ah, i remember that. people protesting, virtue signaling media trolls, believing and repeating stories about the name and how native americans are offended by it.

 

until we found out it was made up.the interwebs is a hell of a thing. 

 

good times. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grego said:

ah, i remember that. people protesting, virtue signaling media trolls, believing and repeating stories about the name and how native americans are offended by it.

 

until we found out it was made up.the interwebs is a hell of a thing. 

 

 

I think this pretty much killed it:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?utm_term=.aa07cdb111e4

 

May 19, 2016

New poll finds 9 in 10 Native Americans aren’t offended by Redskins name

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.

The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations. (more at the link).

 

 

Good grief, when was the last time 90% of the people from ANY group agreed on something?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wonder, what % makes the complaint "legitimate"? Is it ok if 2 out of 10 are offended? 5? 7?

 

Honestly unsure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda glad this was bumped because this has been on my mind a lot lately. 

 

I've been hinting at my gradual disengagement from the team as a whole in the Stadium, citing poor leadership and my preference to baseball over football but since this has been resurrected, I guess it's as good a place as any to say this is the primary reason why I'm stepping back from the Washington Redskins, a team that I've loved my whole life and is indelibly connected to my hometown. I've had a change of heart on the nickname. 

 

I've been a nickname defender for years (as my posts in this particular thread will show) but after learning more about concepts like colonization and the impact it has on indigenous populations (even in seemingly small ways like sports mascots), talking to friends who are members of indigenous tribes (including one who is getting his PhD in a subject related to indigenous studies), and reading about the Washington Post's methodology for conducting its recent survey on the nickname (which was wanting since it only surveyed a little more than 500, self-identified Native Americans without verification), the evidence against it stacked too high for me to ignore. When a friend of mine, with whom I worked with on social justice causes back in North Carolina, called me out on it (delicately and compassionately, thankfully) - it compelled me to reexamine all of that and I came to the same conclusion. 

 

I know what it's like to be part of a systemically oppressed segment of the national population. I know what it's like to be told "you're too sensitive" and "get over it" for speaking out about it. I know what it's like to have statistics and testimony thrown back at you that seem to contradict your testimony, only to find out they were completely falsified, warped beyond recognition, or taken completely out of context. I know what it's like to have less than savory characters speak on behalf for your community and having that used against you when you're trying to push further for your people. I know what it's like when you're called the "PC Police" when all you're trying to do is reclaim your identity and not let anyone try to put a label on you ever again - as has been the case for all marginalized segments of the population. Yet, I couldn't see the connection here until a few months ago.

 

The Washington Redskins football team is a billion dollar organization that recently won a landmark Supreme Court case over the nickname. It would take something truly earth shattering for them to change it now. For virtually all intents and purposes, the matter is settled for now and my financial or emotional withdrawal from the team will hardly make a difference to Dan Snyder. If, against all odds, the team should find itself with a fourth Lombardi trophy in my lifetime, I'm sure I'll be among the throng to take the day off work and celebrate along the parade route. I don't wish the team harm nor do I plan on cheering for another NFL team - especially within the NFC East.

 

But I can't actively support this team so long as they hold that nickname anymore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.