Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

One can not like how the Post covers the Skins, but anyone that thinks the Post doesn’t do outstanding work on actual important issues is either drunk or an idiot. 

In my defense...I did say I was drunk ;)

that being said...I have yet to find any newspaper or agency that doesnt follow an agenda and writes stories accordingly...so..they all suck. 

I tend to watch/read numerous news outlets find the similarities in the stories and take that part as being truth.

If it’s a choice between Snyder, who will keep the name, and a new owner, who may change the name, I’m choosing a new owner 10 times out of 10.

With Snyder, we get to keep the name.  But we are also guaranteed that the team will have bad seasons 9 seasons out of every 10.

I, for one, want to see a winner in DC and I don’t if the team is called Redskins or not anymore.  I mostly associate it with shame these days anyhow.

I used to be a staunch name-keeper.  Now, I don't really care as much anymore.  Change the name, whatever.  I'm not in the "keep it" camp.  I'm not naive enough to think that a name change is going to magically alleviate what ails this franchise.  Bruce and Dan would still be here.  Or at least Dan.  As long as he's the owner, does anything really matter?

Three quick things:

I think most fans that are anti-name change are afraid of coming up with some dumb **** like the Wizards and the terrible colors that came with those initial jerseys.  Remember the contest that they had to choose the replacement for the Bullets?  Sea Dogs, Dragons, Wizards, Stallions, Express.  Terrible names.  That blue was awful.  The design made no sense.  Yeah, it's not the late 90s anymore but that doesn't mean terrible names and colors can't be conjured up.

96462298-washington-wizards-v-orlando-ma

i always thought the W in that script looked like a ****ed up Wu-Tang Clan logo.  Even Brendan Haywood knows it's garbage.  That's a shade of blue that doesn't exist anywhere else.  No one had seen it before, no one has seen it since.  

And changing the Wizards name didn't really work wonders for that franchise.  They still suck and have been average at best.  So I'm not convinced that a name change is going to really help turn the Redskins around.  But I don't get mad at the people who think it will.  I'm willing to try anything at this point, I'm keeping an open mind. 

Second, it'd put more money in the pockets of Dan Snyder which is a reason I'm somewhat reluctant to change the name.  People would rush out to buy any remaining Redskins merchandise before it goes away, and others would run out and snatch up a bunch of new gear.  Hoodies, jerseys, hats, tshirts, etc.  It'd generate a lot of revenue for him.  I'm not part of the "boycott the Redskins" crowd, but I also haven't purchased any tickets or gear in quite awhile.  I don't mind seeing decreased revenue as I think it'll eventually put him in a bind to where he has to sell or figure out a way to get the team back to DC.  

From this article:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/a-once-proud-franchise-the-redskins-are-showing-signs-of-foundational-cracks/2018/12/29/c5194e90-0b8d-11e9-85b6-41c0fe0c5b8f_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8580a4044661

“The Redskins need a jolt to re-energize their marketing and their fan base,” said Marc Ganis of Sportscorp Ltd., a Chicago-based sports business advisory firm. “The jolt comes from one of three things in sports: A new stadium; a championship; or a great single player. The Redskins will continue to try to field a championship team, but that doesn’t appear to be in the cards in the immediate future. They don’t have a star player to build around. Therefore, you’re left with a stadium.”

I agree with this guy on his three points.  However, he leaves out the name change because it's done so rarely in sports.  I'd argue that would be the 4th thing that would be a jolt to re-energize marketing and a fan base.  I'm just a bit wary of giving money to Snyder after all these years.  Yes, I photograph the games for ES so I do go to the stadium.  But I park in the free media lot and don't spend any money at the stadium.  

Third, if you're going to change the name, I'd think the proper thing to do would be to leave it in the hands of Native Americans.  Apologize to them.  Let them pick it, and let them design a new logo.  And give them the option to keep it if it's true that 90% of them really do like it, as the WaPo poll suggests.  And if they do elect to keep it, no whining from uppity white folks about it.  If they decide to change it, let's respect how they decide to pay homage to their ancestry by politely shutting the **** up and stop interjecting our thoughts and feelings into it.  Maybe they decide to keep a Native American theme or maybe they don't.  It should be entirely up to them.

But as I said, nothing really matters unless Dan decides to sell the team.  As long as he's here there's going to be a foul smelling stench around this organization no matter what the name is or where the stadium is.  

I'm not sure how the culture and fanbase around this team could get any more depressing.  The Eagles fan party at FedEx yesterday would be unthinkable almost anywhere else.  I'm now in favor of a name change as a part of a whole-sale reboot of this franchise.  Though, as long as Snyder is in charge, I have no optimism that it would work... 

6 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I'm not sure how the culture and fanbase around this team could get any more depressing.  The Eagles fan party at FedEx yesterday would be unthinkable almost anywhere else.  I'm now in favor of a name change as a part of a whole-sale reboot of this franchise.  Though, as long as Snyder is in charge, I have no optimism that it would work... 

I’m pretty sure the only thing that could get me legitimately excited about this franchise would be for Snyder to have some “if you love it let it go” revelation and put the team up for sale. Like, secure a stadium, immediately sell the franchise (Bezos?), then the new owner can start fresh with a new name/brand, new stadium, new everything. It’ll be like an expansion team. I’d be so on board with that. Completely wash the stank of this team away. 

I am aware there is no way Snyder sells the team. He’ll take the franchise to his grave. Ironically running it right into the ground the entire time. 

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

If it’s a choice between Snyder, who will keep the name, and a new owner, who may change the name, I’m choosing a new owner 10 times out of 10.

With Snyder, we get to keep the name.  But we are also guaranteed that the team will have bad seasons 9 seasons out of every 10.

I, for one, want to see a winner in DC and I don’t if the team is called Redskins or not anymore.  I mostly associate it with shame these days anyhow.

I strongly suspect a new owner would be required to change the name. It's become too much of a lightning rod for the league's comfort. 

1 hour ago, youngestson said:

I strongly suspect a new owner would be required to change the name. It's become too much of a lightning rod for the league's comfort. 

I would be fine with that.

A new owner and a name change is better than Snyder and the Redskins being bottom dwellers for the rest of my life.

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Third, if you're going to change the name, I'd think the proper thing to do would be to leave it in the hands of Native Americans.  Apologize to them.  Let them pick it, and let them design a new logo.  And give them the option to keep it if it's true that 90% of them really do like it, as the WaPo poll suggests.  And if they do elect to keep it, no whining from uppity white folks about it.  If they decide to change it, let's respect how they decide to pay homage to their ancestry by politely shutting the **** up and stop interjecting our thoughts and feelings into it.  Maybe they decide to keep a Native American theme or maybe they don't.  It should be entirely up to them.

How do you decide which Native Americans make the decision?  Like, does Elizabeth Warren get a vote?

:ph34r:

So typical of Snyder to bring out Joe Gibbs today like a show pony from the past.  Little big man clings to the glory days of which he had nothing to do with. It's over, the Washington Redskins need to be given a fitting memorial service and buried - left alone in our memories and the record books.  Times have changed yet little bm and Allen cling to the past.  The Rondald McDonald uniforms were so appropirate for this clown show. And those yellow pants are Bruce Allen's contribution.  That is the GM of what was once a proud and winning organization. RIP Washington Redskins.  Change everything or better yet give us an expansion team.

Add Assimilate to terms considered offensive to indigenous Americans...

https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-license-plate-manitoba-public-insurance/amp/

Star Trek Fan Sues After License Plate Revoked For Being 'Inappropriate'

According to CBC, Nick Troller claims to have used his license plate, which reads ASIMIL8, for the better part of two years with no complaints. However, MPI, which issues personalized license plates in the province, revoked the plate in 2017, deeming the plate inappropriate and potentially insulting to Indigenous people.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's funny to see how many people want to change the name because that's going to make us into a good team...like it did the Wizards?

I don't believe that's what people are saying at all. 

I hate this thread, your response sounds like an overexagerrated self-defense mechanism kicking in, which just makes this conversation harder then it needs to be.

47 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't believe that's what people are saying at all. 

I hate this thread, your response sounds like an overexagerrated self-defense mechanism kicking in, which just makes this conversation harder then it needs to be.

I feel you, it should be closed at this point

20 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

The name change argument is pretty much dead. 

It is the first defeat of the PC culture in this go around of the PC Culture Wars (There was one in the 90s - which they lost). Their Battle of Britain maybe?

17 minutes ago, nonniey said:

It is the first defeat of the PC culture in this go around of the PC Culture Wars (There was one in the 90s - which they lost). Their Battle of Britain maybe?

It's not a defeat.  It'll be back when the team gets good.  If the team gets good.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  Two reasons why the name change debate got kicked up a few years ago:

1.  RG3 leading this team to the forefront of the NFL.  Most jersey sales and the year after his rookie season, most prime time games out of any NFL team.  All of a sudden the Redskins are a hot team, people take notice.  No one cares about this debate when the team is in last place with no marquee players on it.  I am willing to bet that if the Redskins had a generational talent that was one of the key faces of the NFL, this debate is still going on.  "....of the Redskins leads all NFL players in jersey sales.  But what does selling jerseys of a team that has what some deem a racist name say about the state of the NFL and what's tolerated?  Bob Ley reports."

2.  Dan Snyder doubling down and saying the name will never change.  

The team sucks, Snyder is out of the public eye pretty much all the time and doesn't give interviews.  

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's not a defeat.  It'll be back when the team gets good.  If the team gets good.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  Two reasons why the name change debate got kicked up a few years ago:

1.  RG3 leading this team to the forefront of the NFL.  Most jersey sales and the year after his rookie season, most prime time games out of any NFL team.  All of a sudden the Redskins are a hot team, people take notice.  No one cares about this debate when the team is in last place with no marquee players on it.  I am willing to bet that if the Redskins had a generational talent that was one of the key faces of the NFL, this debate is still going on.  "....of the Redskins leads all NFL players in jersey sales.  But what does selling jerseys of a team that has what some deem a racist name say about the state of the NFL and what's tolerated?  Bob Ley reports."

2.  Dan Snyder doubling down and saying the name will never change.  

The team sucks, Snyder is out of the public eye pretty much all the time and doesn't give interviews.  

3. The Supreme Court ruling for The Slants pretty much cut the knees off any legal argument. All that's left are emotionally driven pursuits, and those just don't last. (Reference: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/06/19/washington-redskins-name-slants-trademark-supreme-court)

44 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

3. The Supreme Court ruling for The Slants pretty much cut the knees off any legal argument. All that's left are emotionally driven pursuits, and those just don't last. (Reference: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/06/19/washington-redskins-name-slants-trademark-supreme-court)

That certainly was the PC cultures last hope but what really did them in was when the Washington Post did an updated poll of Native Americans that showed no change to the 91% that didn't think Redskins was offensive.  

Considering a court of law ruled that Pro Football is “sports entertainment” in the case against the Patriots in the spy gate scandal, and the fact that the owners share profits, I believe we will never have a shot at another Super Bowl until the name is changed. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want but I think NFL refs definitely have an agenda. Washington Warriors has a nice ring to it if you ask me.

Archived