Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

29 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They absolutely can, and surely there are people that do, there's just not many of them.  

Authentically caring requires more than keystrokes on the internet.

But that isn't what you said.

What you said was.....

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I think your premise in bold is complete nonsense. For the simple fact that nobody cares about honoring Native Americans. The team does it for PR, the fans dont care at all.  I promise you nobody is spending 0.005 seconds of thought on how proud they are that their favorite football team honors Native Americans.  Anybody that says they do and they're not a NA is being disingenuous.

29 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

There are 100,000,000 democrats. How many do you think actually give a rats ass? 

I don't know. But 50 democrats thought it was worth their constituents time to care about the issue. 

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/fifty-senators-send-letter-pushing-nfl-to-change-redskins-name/amp/

The issue broke, as so many of these issues do, along party lines; all but five of the Senate’s Democrats signed the letter and no Republicans did. 

4 minutes ago, grego said:

I don't know. But 50 democrats thought it was worth their constituents time to care about the issue. 

https://www.google.com/amp/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/fifty-senators-send-letter-pushing-nfl-to-change-redskins-name/amp/

The issue broke, as so many of these issues do, along party lines; all but five of the Senate’s Democrats signed the letter and no Republicans did. 

I stand corrected.

8 hours ago, justice98 said:

Here's the thing, I think a Native American entity using it for them is completely different than somebody else using it for their own purposes.  I still don't like it personally, but I get in that NA school context, it's not for me to like.  It's a culture honoring themselves in their community.

Red Mesa HS, in Arizona, opened its doors in 1972. The NFL Redskins pre-dates that obviously. If they had issues with the NFL team using the name, they likely would not have also adopted it themselves out of a desire to distance themselves from something they felt was offensive. 

So if, by polls, 90% of Native Americans are not bothered by the name (and in this case all it would have taken was a verbal "yes," so nice try on the apathy/laziness argument you posted) and after the NFL team had the name and mascot Native American schools used the name AND mascot, then what's the issue? At this point anyone objecting to the name or mascot is essentially telling Native Americans they are wrong and should be offended, and only doing so because they hold their opinion to be more valuable than how Native Americans actually feel.

14 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

It may have benign origins, but one need only look in the dictionary to see that it has been defined as a racial slur....

And that is why anyone who buys or eats Oreos is a racist.

#changethecookie

That's why they started making Oreos in different colors.  To avoid the trap.  Yellow ones started popping up, red ones, even rainbow ones for LGBT.  I see you, Nabisco.  lol

10 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

At this point anyone objecting to the name or mascot is essentially telling Native Americans they are wrong and should be offended, and only doing so because they hold their opinion to be more valuable than how Native Americans actually feel.

Amen.  It seems like the whole argument has been,  if you are not offended, then you should be. 

40 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

Amen.  It seems like the whole argument has been,  if you are not offended, then you should be. 

The flip side argument I keep hearing is, if you are a Native American and you are offended, you shouldn't be.  And that argument is being made by white guys who are fans of the team. 

The Supreme Court spoke and the team name will stay.  But let's not pretend that Native Americans no longer have the right to feel offended by the name. 

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

The flip side argument I keep hearing is, if you are a Native American and you are offended, you shouldn't be.  And that argument is being made by white guys who are fans of the team. 

The Supreme Court spoke and the team name will stay.  But let's not pretend that Native Americans no longer have the right to feel offended by the name. 

That's true--personally, I don't begrudge the 10% that find the name offensive. It sucks that they feel that way, but you do not have the right to not be offended. It's part of life--people, things, ideas, institutions will piss you off. Every single person in this country has things that offend them.

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

The flip side argument I keep hearing is, if you are a Native American and you are offended, you shouldn't be. 

I don't ever remember hearing that...

What I've heard along those lines is "There is no right to not be offended" and "Not enough of you (NA/s) are offended to make changing the name a legitimate topic".

On 6/20/2017 at 10:33 PM, grego said:

This is one of the reasons why we have trump in the WH, The dems placed so much attention, time and energy into social justice and hurt feelings while ignoring all the broken **** happening around the country. 

I will always feel for natives who are truly offended (albeit a very small amount) because I've met one. But hurt feelings and opinions shouldn't compromise freedom. 

I'm glad sanity and common sense from our justices has essentially shut down political correctness run amok.  We were never just talking about the Redskins name.  A free society should want nothing to do with the government regulated speech.

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

The recent remake of The Magnificent Seven uses "redskin" as interchangeable with "Indian scalp" *smdh*....

?

Even though this has been debunked...never let the truth get in the way of a good lie.  I'm glad I read your comment.  I was set to watch that film at some point.  Won't bother now.  

• 5 months later...

Even as we Redskin fans suffer through another season of apparent failure, it seems that not everything you read about the Redskins is true.  This afternoon I saw friends posting on Facebook about a planned name change for the organization.  My friends on facebook who shared a url that said we were changing the name to the "Red Hawks".  However, when I came to the Washington Post Site below, and looked to see what the Post thought, I found out it was not so at all, somewhat relieved actually.:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/?utm_term=.49b6f8775607

Clearly the name change is FakeNews.   (I must admit I almost believed it myself, and several friends apparently were suckered by it today.)

I'm not posting the link that I saw, and according to the Post article, Redskins Park is already aware.  I didn't see this in the news section, so thought it deserved to be shared.   It seems almost anything could be fake news these days.

(I'll admit, though RedHawks is not the worst potential renaming suggestion I've seen recently, if push came to shove and we did.  However, Hail to the Redskins! #HTTR)

Archived