Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

the survey(s) noted would be simply a minuscule move to compiling useful data on the matter that would support any pro or con claim, and those done are of debatable efficacy either way and it's not even enough to argue over (intelligently) as "proof" for anyone

One billion percent disagree with your take here. Hopefully it's based on more than "500 people isn't enough".

Carla Fredericks, the Director of the American Indian Law Clinic and Director of First Peoples Worldwide, said she did not want to see the Redskins pivot to a name such as the Warriors. She said it would be considered a tie-in to Native Americans.

"Mostly because we have this really unfortunate history and one thing the Washington team has to think about is not just a change, but also making it right, and that [name] doesn't seem like it's headed in that direction.

"There's no other racial group in America that has endured what we've endured as Native Americans, that has had every Sunday when we turn on the TV and see what we've had to see and experience what we've had to experience, perpetuating that seems out of step with the broader discussion of racial justice in the current moment."

Asked about the Golden State Warriors and whether their nickname was OK or somehow different because of the lack of Native American logos, Fredericks said: "We're just taking a very hard line on all of this, that anything that relates to Native American people or is evocative of Native American people has no place in professional sports. The hard line is important because of the lack of understanding about Native American people in our communities, so the clarity would go a long way toward better behavior by sports teams and fans.

"This is the moment for the Washington team to step into a leadership role, and it could be really positive. If the Washington team says we get it now, we messed up and we're going to change and we'll change in such a way where we don't impact Native American people in anything that happens, that would send a very clear message in professional sports, and even scholastic sports, that we're in a new era. ... As I understand it, franchise owners are a pretty headstrong bunch and certainly empowered on their own to do what they think is right. It'll be an interesting couple of months in every respect."

...Snyder for years had resisted consideration to change the name -- telling USA Today in 2013 to "put it in all caps" that he would never make such a move. Some who have worked for Snyder said they believed he would rather sell the team than use a new name. While it's uncertain what the next name will be, it is one that a source close to the situation said Snyder was excited about.

Snyder had owned the rights in the Washington area to any possible expansion by the Arena Football League, and he was expected to name that team the Warriors, even attempting to trademark the name -- a quest he had abandoned.

Snyder and the franchise were under more pressure to change Washington's nickname after protests against social injustice and police brutality began following the May death of George Floyd in Minnesota. Within a few weeks of Floyd's death, multiple sources said Snyder had been discussing the name for several weeks with the league.

During that time, a letter signed by 87 investors and shareholders with a total worth of $620 billion was sent to sponsors FedEx, PepsiCo and Nike, asking them to stop doing business with the team unless its name was changed. When that was reported in an Adweek.com story on July 1, multiple people -- including current and former employees -- echoed the same thought: It's over. Most, if not all, were unaware that a possible change was already in the works.

"The next immediate step is, while this morning's announcement that the name and the logo will change -- that's critical -- what are they going to use?" said Jonas Kron, senior vice president and director of shareholder advocacy for Trillium Asset Management. "There has been communication from a large group of Native American leaders that made it clear it needs to be a complete and total break from any Native American imagery or name, and we're making sure that the sponsors are aware of that perspective. For the sponsors, if it's not a clean break, then they'll have ongoing reputational risks. For the sponsors, it's in their best interest to have the reputational risk completely go away."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29454868/washington-nfl-team-says-retire-redskins-name-logo

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Uh, how does that negate anything I said? If both had ad campaigns that were honest and said "Our products will make you fat", how is that a bad thing? Would it mean two corporations wouldn't have made billions of their standard menu or products? Yes. Is that automatically a bad thing? Hell, no. I wish the cigarette companies said "Yeah, this could lead to lung cancer but you'll look really cool while it does" lol...that's a good thing in my eyes.

So your argument is now that Dan Snyder, by not embracing the change of a name that society has deemed inappropriate, is saving lives? Jesus. 

Just now, Jumbo said:

dude, why do intelligent people like yourself keep stating this as a fact when it's an unknown (obviously)  over and over again--and if you say "surveys", or (as i noted in my case) you're using "what I've run into", um, no

I respect your point of view...but hownis itnany different then having some white guy or black guy tell me that it is racist to Native Americans? How do they know what Native Americans find as racist. 

At least the poll was a result of actual Native American responses.

That being said...I also find polls to be unreliable....the only reason I gave that one any credence was because it was conducted by a respected paper that was so anti-redskin. 

45 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

The werewolves is one of the dumbest name ideas thus far.  And there have been some bad ones.

No way, homey. Werewolves is TIGHT. 😄

Lol what's your top choice 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Carla Fredericks, the Director of the American Indian Law Clinic and Director of First Peoples Worldwide, said she did not want to see the Redskins pivot to a name such as the Warriors. She said it would be considered a tie-in to Native Americans.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29454868/washington-nfl-team-says-retire-redskins-name-logo

Yeah, this has been the story for awhile.  The Oneida Indian Nation has historically been more vocal against Warrior than Redskin.  The NCAI has included the Golden State Warriors with the Redskins, Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Blackhawks, etc as sports teams that they have issues with.

A rebrand to the Warriors might just be kicking the can down the road and then in 10 years another rebrand has to happen...again.

It’s becoming clear that whatever we do some groups/bodies/organisations are going to bleat and moan about the name.

Snyder is damaged goods. Creating good PR on a major scale is virtually impossible. 

He needs a high profile hire into the FO as soon as possible. Someone to be that highly respected figure head of the organisation on the operational side. And no, not Bruce but someone in a similar capacity. 

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

It’s becoming clear that whatever we do some groups/bodies/organisations are going to bleat and moan about the name.

Welcome to America....

We are basically the Causeheads from PCU...

...damn it pains me to type that...

8 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Yeah, this has been the story for awhile.  The Oneida Indian Nation has historically been more vocal against Warrior than Redskin.  The NCAI has included the Golden State Warriors with the Redskins, Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Blackhawks, etc as sports teams that they have issues with.

A rebrand to the Warriors might just be kicking the can down the road and then in 10 years another rebrand has to happen...again.

GSW doesn't use any Native American imagery at all.  Carla seems to think that the name "Warriors" only applies to Native Americans.  

28 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I nominated that one a week ago. Would definitely be cool. 

Going to have to disagree with you here. I think that'd be an awful name. Like "Monuments" level bad.

Personally, after all the ****ing and moaning from people regarding NA names and imagery, I really hope we scrub every ounce of reference to them from our organization. No NA names, logos, cultural references, etc. Just clear it all out, and start fresh. I never want to hear from those people and groups again.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

GSW doesn't use any Native American imagery at all.  Carla seems to think that the name "Warriors" only applies to Native Americans.  

Go figure...

To be fair to her...around here Warrior is often associated with Native Americans because of the Mohawks. Now granted the Capital Region is not near the Oneida tribe....we are closer to where the Mohawks were. If my history lessons were correct, they were the Warriors of the Iroquis "longhouse".

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

The point I read from the NCAI way back, was that GSW used to be an American Indian/Native American themed team.  Golden State Warriors in their mind, still refers to an indigenous person as Warrior instead of a generic person.  The tone I got, was that if the Minnesota Vikings suddenly change to Warrior, they wouldn't have a problem with it.

That said, I did read a follow up piece from somewhere else falsely claiming that Warrior was a word that originates from North America, when it doesn't, it's first usage appears to be in the 14th century in Europe.  So who knows what will happen if we change to Warrior.

When does Oklahoma get renamed?

Oklahoma is a Choctaw Indian word that means “red people.” It is derived from the words for people (okla) and red (humma).

Also seeing a push for the Texas Rangers should be renamed.  Just google "texas rangers rename" and admire.

19 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I don't get why you people are so hell bent on keeping Native American imagery.  We are a football team, we aren't a social justice cause.  Pick a animal and move forward. 

Red Pandas!  

NDGU3DX.jpg

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Asked about the Golden State Warriors and whether their nickname was OK or somehow different because of the lack of Native American logos, Fredericks said: "We're just taking a very hard line on all of this, that anything that relates to Native American people or is evocative of Native American people has no place in professional sports. The hard line is important because of the lack of understanding about Native American people in our communities, so the clarity would go a long way toward better behavior by sports teams and fans.

So if the logo was a block W in a pentagon (a mock up I loved), with no Native imagery at all, that would be offensive? This is why I cannot get behind these "offensive" narratives--some people find everything offensive, or find a way to make everything about them. It's about me, goddammit.

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Personally, after all the ****ing and moaning from people regarding NA names and imagery, I really hope we scrub every ounce of reference to them from our organization. No NA names, logos, cultural references, etc. Just clear it all out, and start fresh. I never want to hear from those people and groups again.

I guess Redskins was honoring "those people".

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The point I read from the NCAI way back, was that GSW used to be an American Indian/Native American themed team.  Golden State Warriors in their mind, still refers to an indigenous person as Warrior instead of a generic person.  The tone I got, was that if the Minnesota Vikings suddenly change to Warrior, they wouldn't have a problem with it.

That said, I did read a follow up piece from somewhere else falsely claiming that Warrior was a word that originates from North America, when it doesn't, it's first usage appears to be in the 14th century in Europe.  So who knows what will happen if we change to Warrior.

Didn't know that. So the Warriors response was a tone deaf "**** you" response to them.

Go figure.

My name is Jim Onefeather and as a Native American living here on the res in New Mexico I have the following heart felt response as a REDSKIN MAN !

First they take our way of life !

Second they round us all up and put us on a res and tell us to deal w/ it !

Third, for a hell of a long time we could not vote !

I respect everyones right of free speech and to say how they feel but it seems to me { a REDSKIN MAN } that non of the non native Americans really care how we feel !

You can visit any reservation in the nation and you will see that the Washington Redskins are really the only team we care for because it is all that is left that we feel represents us

in the publics eye and now the sponsors and those that are threatening to pull funding feel they have the right to force this name change !!!

Have any of them or you bothered to ask how we feel !? Oh that's right , we are not the sponsors so who cares how we feel ....

The powers that be have always made choices for us without asking so why would I think anything has changed in this world today !!!

I AM REALLY ANGRY ABOUT THIS !!!

We actually are the ones responsible for the name redskins....we gave that name to ourselves out of pride !!!

So for those of you who are not a native redskin please stop trying to tell others what is right thing is or is not when it comes to us redskins !

Thank you all....ALL LIVES MATTER

Jim Onefeather aka Dino575

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I didn't realize this but they used to be the Philadelphia Warriors...and this was their logo in Philly:

philadelphia_warriors_1952-1962.png

Yikes.

Then they moved to the Bay Area.  They had this logo into the mid 60s:

san_francisco_warriors_1963-1969.png

And haven't used anything remotely close to Native American imagery since.

Matter of fact, this is the only thing they've used that's had anything human related, everything else is like "the city" or some outline of California.  

1bhcqs6l5t44lw04y1tygdsce.gif

So I guess if she's clinging to what was used 50+ years ago, sure, it's Native American...but that seems to be a bit of a stretch, they haven't used anything Native American for a long, long time.

Archived