Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

33 minutes ago, timdaley73 said:

Now that it's official they are going to change their name and they want to be more supportive of the military...  LET'S MAKE THIS NAME GO VIRAL!!  The new name should be:

THE WASHINGTON ARMED FORCES!!  Through the Air and on the Ground, we are READY!!

How about no

I don't care too much about the name as long as it's not asinine like all the Bullets name change ideas. Nobody will care if we win football games more than we have since 1992.

This franchise has lived off the 1980s for decades and this forces us to finally get fans in with current success. Honestly, Snyder lost the right to get up in arms after what he did to this organization the past quarter century.

I find it a it odd the notion on social media that Rivera hasn't been here long enough to have a say or doesn't have the power to have a say. I mean he literally is making decisions at the executive level by bringing in Rob Rogers from Carolina. This is his show imo. 

1 hour ago, jujuskinsfan said:

Curious to know if there is anybody around here that isn't excited about the change? I get that there's nothing we can do about it, but I personally feel too emotionally attached to the name, the history and the current logo to ever see myself rooting for another team... I also understand that most of you guys are from DC, which might help a bit. I have definitely lost interest in the Redskins over the past few years but I kept hoping that a better coaching staff, FO or a franchise QB would eventually re-ignite the fire. A name change is definitely not going to do it for me. I might stick around for a while just out of curiosity but I doubt I will ever feel the same about the team. Sad times :(

There are plenty, you just are less likely to encounter them here, or on twitter/reddit.  Different bubbles.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He's just a mouth. That's all he is.

Yeah he is it’s tough sometimes with all the hate for Snyder. We as fans no he’s not great but jeez the bullying gets old especially when he’s doing the unthinkable and changing the name is promised he wouldn’t. 

5 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Max should just go back to covering boxing. He sucks at everything else. 

Except he's not wrong. Anyone with an iota of sense could have put out a statement that led to some positive PR for the team. Talk about the desire to move forward, talk of how you've heard people's concerns about the nature of the old name and talk of how you plan to create something fans will be proud of. It would have been ridiculously easy, in a few short sentences, to give the appearance of doing something progressive and inspiring.

Instead Snyder's statement amounts to "The sponsors are making me do this, so fine". 

I'm not sure why we need to bash someone for pointing out the ineptitude Snyder once again displayed. Even if Kellerman isn't our favorite media figure. 

Hmmm..I dont think anywhere did that press release say he thinks the name is racist....better go back to reading comprehension mr. Jeff schultz

2 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Ah hell, the BBC are all over this now. I've got friends winding me up left, right and centre. I was hoping we could sneak this through with no one in England noticing.

Lol be ready...ve already heard rumblings about blaming England for slavery in the states...

10 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

Yeah he is it’s tough sometimes with all the hate for Snyder. We as fans no he’s not great but jeez the bullying gets old especially when he’s doing the unthinkable and changing the name is promised he wouldn’t. 

I kind of think that Snyder brings all of it on himself, Jerry Jones May be crazier than a rainbow trout in a car wash, but at least the Cowboys have some financial value to the league. Snyder on the other hand averages a scandal a year, almost every measure he takes is either stupid, ham fisted or half assed, and the team and fan base may be on life support. Even if Kellerman is over the top sometimes, Snyder pretty much deserves all the bashing he gets

Washington will keep its current name until it has a new name. So when will it have a new name?

That hinges in large part on the ability to secure federal trademark protection for the new name and video. As explained on Sunday, trademark squatters have complicated the issue.

Martin McCaulay currently has secured (or tried to secure) the following names in recent years: Americans, Bravehearts, Federals, Forces, Founders, Gladiators, Monuments, Natives, Pandas, Pigskins, Red-Tailed Hawks, Renegades, Sharks, Veterans, Tribe, Redtails, Monuments Veterans, Renegades, Red-Tailed Hawks, Americans, and Red Wolves.

As of 2015, McCaulay said that he’d spent $20,000 on the effort to secure trademark rights to alternative names. In an unverified Twitter account (which nevertheless seems to be legitimate), McCaulay claims he has offered to give the teams the trademarks at no cost.

“Started out because I thought it would be funny to register Washington Pigskins then this unusual hobby of mine got out of control,” McCaulay tweeted on Sunday night. “I am a fan of watching the team on TV and went to one game last year. It is not meant to be adversarial.”

McCaulay notes that one option that has emerged in recent days — Red Wolves — currently is the subject of litigation between a Chattanooga soccer team and Arkansas State University.

However it plays out, it’s not going to be cheap and it’s not going to be easy and frankly it’s Daniel Snyder’s own fault for waiting this long to do what needed to be done to lay the foundation for a new name.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/13/trademark-issue-complicates-washingtons-name-change/

Just now, alwaysaskin said:

It’s a metaphor for the fact that ol’ Jerruh is completely insane 

Yes...I know..just never heard it before...must be a southern thing...no one up here would even think a rainbow trout would be in a carwash

Archived