Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Hey, if you can't follow the logical thread of your own arguments, that's 100% on you. 

Ok, stop talking in the mirror and listen to me instead lol...

Somehow you took my comment of how being honest is never a bad thing, and decided that Coke and McDonalds NOT being honest about making you fat disproves my point. How you reached that conclusion baffles me lol...I'm guessing your point was if both companies had honest ad campaigns they wouldn't have made any money, and tht would be a bad thing. If so, that's incredibly superficial analysis that ignores a wide variety of factors in favor of a "gotcha" response. Ok, whatever.

The you somehow took my flipping your examples of big business being honest back on you to show how it could have been a good thing (giving consumers more honest info to help in their choices concerning their health) as meaning I believe...um, that I am saying Snyder's press release...is, uh...saving lives...or something. Seriously, that requires weeks of training to reach that kind of conclusion.

Bottom-lining this mf'er: It doesn't really matter if the press release was accompanied by a recording of Kumbaya, My Lord or contained a more honest reflection of what has happened. In my eyes anyway, changing the name is conciliatory enough. Maybe when the name is actually changed there will be a more soothing tone in how it's announced. Maybe not. To me, who ****ing cares. The point of the press release appears to be to make it official that the name will indeed be changed. It doesn't need to be anything else. In about a month those wanting a name change and the emblem erased and branded as racist will get what they wanted.

3 minutes ago, Dino575 said:

Have any of them or you bothered to ask how we feel !? Oh that's right , we are not the sponsors so who cares how we feel ....

Thank you all....ALL LIVES MATTER

Jim Onefeather aka Dino575

As a matter of fact they did and they didn't like the answer (Overwhelmingly positive)  and their response was basically what you posted - "**** em, we know what's good for them so we will take action on their behalf".

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

So I guess if she's clinging to what was used 50+ years ago, sure, it's Native American...but that seems to be a bit of a stretch, they haven't used anything Native American for a long, long time.

You may not agree, but after seeing that crap now, their frustration is completely justified. They, like a lot of other teams, felt they were "Honoring" Native Americans, and felt that if they just ditched what might be the most foul logo I've  ever seen, everyone would/should shut up about it.

Yeah, no way in hell

7 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I guess Redskins was honoring "those people".

Straw man is made of straw.

The point was I'm tired of hearing from the various groups (not just NA), including all the more recent bandwagon critics, regarding our use of NA imagery and references. Let's just scrub it all off, and start new with something else. I don't want "code talkers" or any other NA reference as a team name, no matter how positive the connotation. Some NA groups have made it known they don't want their names/culture to be a mascot, team name, etc. So, let's heed their wish, and shut up all the external critics at the same time, and just move on completely.

I remember Cooley saying years ago that if the Redskins are officially deemed to have a racial slur as a team name, will retired Redskins players be considered racist if they continue to wear their Skins jerseys or sport anything from their time with the team, and would sports media brand them as racists if they did. Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman responded with incredulity and were offended that he would even ask such a question.

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

Straw man is made of straw.

The point was I'm tired of hearing from the various groups (not just NA), including all the more recent bandwagon critics, regarding our use of NA imagery and references. Let's just scrub it all off, and start new with something else. I don't want "code talkers" or any other NA reference as a team name, no matter how positive the connotation. Some NA groups have made it known they don't want their names/culture to be a mascot, team name, etc. So, let's heed their wish, and shut up all the external critics at the same time, and just move on completely.

Nothing straw, your unnecessary BS is a major part of the reason people wanted the name erased. 

27 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I nominated that one a week ago. Would definitely be cool. 

Code Talkers. It's an absolutely awesome group of people who deserve to be recognized and honored forevermore. I just don't really like the name for a football team. 

But here's another issue. We keep hearing how it's "wrong" for a sports team to reflect a culture in an attempt to "honor" that culture. If that's the case, wouldn't this fall dangerously close to the same issue? I get we're talking about a specific group and accomplishment vs. a broad culture of people here, but it's a group that is still exclusively NA, and it's a group that accomplished something based on NA culture, i.e., language. In other words, going with "Code Talkers" would very much be reflecting NA culture on a football helmet. Why wouldn't that be considered the same type of "cultural appropriation" that our current logo is supposedly guilty of? 

Conversely, if it's OK to honor this specific group of NAs with some sort of logo, name and imagery, why is it NOT OK to call yourself "Warriors," which is a much more focused term than "Redskins", and use some form of NA imagery to reflect that word and that specific aspect of NA culture? 

I don't really have an answer; It's just an interesting question. I've been for the name change for some time, but I never expected we'd have to also jettison all the NA imagery. I'm just not convinced that reflecting Native Americans in this manner is ALWAYS something that has to be demeaning or insulting or degrading. Going with "Code Talkers" is a perfect example of that. It would seem silly to me for people to protest that name or a corresponding logo as "racist." And yet, they'd almost have to to remain consistent with the demand that all NA imagery be removed from all teams. Would be interesting to see if the Navajo leader who's for that name is also against our use of the current (barely) logo. 

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

Warrior in no way refers specifically to native Americans, I don’t care what the history is for specific team happens to be.  It’s a common word that most frequently used outside of sports altogether.  

You can apply the same argument to a few different words that a group of people latched onto as it always referring to them...

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Nothing straw, your unnecessary BS is a major part of the reason people wanted the name erased. 

No BS here big guy. I'm saying let's give them what they want; our organization to scrub any use of NA names/logos, etc.

If you have an issue with that, then I'm sure there's somebody that you can hug that will make you feel better.

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Frankly, I'd love it if we never heard from people like that. Seem to be a lot of them posting today though.

Maybe if we put in a baby crying from ij after every post I could actually stomach it

16 minutes ago, Dino575 said:

My name is Jim Onefeather and as a Native American living here on the res in New Mexico I have the following heart felt response as a REDSKIN MAN !

First they take our way of life !

Second they round us all up and put us on a res and tell us to deal w/ it !

Third, for a hell of a long time we could not vote !

I respect everyones right of free speech and to say how they feel but it seems to me { a REDSKIN MAN } that non of the non native Americans really care how we feel !

You can visit any reservation in the nation and you will see that the Washington Redskins are really the only team we care for because it is all that is left that we feel represents us

in the publics eye and now the sponsors and those that are threatening to pull funding feel they have the right to force this name change !!!

Have any of them or you bothered to ask how we feel !? Oh that's right , we are not the sponsors so who cares how we feel ....

The powers that be have always made choices for us without asking so why would I think anything has changed in this world today !!!

I AM REALLY ANGRY ABOUT THIS !!!

We actually are the ones responsible for the name redskins....we gave that name to ourselves out of pride !!!

So for those of you who are not a native redskin please stop trying to tell others what is right thing is or is not when it comes to us redskins !

Thank you all....ALL LIVES MATTER

Jim Onefeather aka Dino575

Sad that these voices won’t be heard. I’ve got a Native American cousin who feels the same. I wonder if Snyder will continue to donate to Native American causes. His track record on this is already shaky, but it appears as if some native Americans will be losing much needed resources with the name/logo change. 

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Warrior in no way refers specifically to native Americans, I don’t care what the history is for specific team happens to be.  It’s a common word that most frequently used outside of sports altogether.  

war·ri·or
/ˈwôrēər/

1. (especially in former times) a brave or experienced soldier or fighter.

2. any of a number of standing poses in yoga in which the legs are held apart and the arms are stretched outwards.

Origin

Middle English: from Old Northern French werreior, variant of Old French guerreior, from guerreier ‘make war’, from guerre ‘war’.

How in the **** can anyone make the claim that "Warrior" withOUT any NA imagery still represents American Indians? lol...

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I remember Cooley saying years ago that if the Redskins are officially deemed to have a racial slur as a team name, will retired Redskins players be considered racist if they continue to wear their Skins jerseys or sport anything from their time with the team, and would sports media brand them as racists if they did. Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman responded with incredulity and were offended that he would even ask such a question.

That would be sad if Darrell throws away all his old jerseys and memorabilia for new ones, he should keep them because it is a special memory that lasts forever

4 minutes ago, Xameil said:

You can apply the same argument to a few different words that a group of people latched onto as it always referring to them...

Each situation is unique.  The word warrior however, simply does not refer to native Americans.  It doesn’t refer to any race, ethnicity, nationality, or gender.  Warriors are fighters.  

2 hours ago, Art said:

I held off as long as possible.

Best wishes to you all.   Goodbye my Redskins :).

Must say I've been struggling with this myself.  As an out-of-town fan I have to try harder than locals to watch games, find merchandise, etc.  My interest has definitely waned recently and I'm not sure I have it in me to keep watching without the historical connection to the 'Skins of my childhood.  I haven't lived in the DMV for 30 years now.  I don't think I could pull an Art and pull for the Vikings or really any other team.  Honestly not sure what I'm going to do when the season rolls around.  

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

You may not agree, but after seeing that crap now, their frustration is completely justified. They, like a lot of other teams, felt they were "Honoring" Native Americans, and felt that if they just ditched what might be the most foul logo I've e vcd er seen, everyone would/should shut up about it.

Yeah, no way in hell

Man, if you want to see worse, look a the Cleveland Indians logo from the 40s.  That's about as bad as it can get, IMO.  In regards to the GSW, I'm not sure why they ditched their logos, it would be interesting to see if there were any people telling them to get rid of their logos back in the 60s.  I'm assuming there wasn't.

I understand where she's coming from, I just don't totally agree.  GSW haven't used any Native American imagery for over 50 years.  Everything they've used, except that weird logo from the late 90s to the early Steph Curry era has been about the state of California or the Bay Area.  

1 minute ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Must say I've been struggling with this myself.  As an out-of-town fan I have to try harder than locals to watch games, find merchandise, etc.  My interest has definitely waned recently and I'm not sure I have it in me to keep watching without the historical connection to the 'Skins of my childhood.  I haven't lived in the DMV for 30 years now.  I don't think I could pull an Art and pull for the Vikings or really any other team.  Honestly not sure what I'm going to do when the season rolls around.  

In my area I'm in the middle of Bill's, Patriots, Jets, Giants country...I'll be damned if I root for any of em...Redskins fan till I die

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Frankly, I'd love it if we never heard from people like that. Seem to be a lot of them posting today though.

Maybe if we put in a baby crying from ij after every post I could actually stomach it

Yeah, you're definitely right. Like I said in a earlier post, might be best if some of these folks move onto other teams or activities. A sort of cleansing of the fanbase. 

****, I might be with them in 10-15 of more ineptitude in the organization. 

26 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

So if the logo was a block W in a pentagon (a mock up I loved), with no Native imagery at all, that would be offensive? This is why I cannot get behind these "offensive" narratives--some people find everything offensive, or find a way to make everything about them. It's about me, goddammit.

Pandering to a select group of activists is an exercise in futility.  Professional victims don't stop being victims just because they win a battle.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Also why I do not want to use any NA references in our new team name/culture. So the extra woke among us won't have any issues going forward.

Archived